[GUIDE]: How to flash CRB7 using Odin - S8

Search This thread

MeltdownSpectre

Retired Forum Moderator
UPDATE (27TH FEB 2018): We now have Odin v3.13.1 which is compatible with the new .lz4 compressed files referred to below in the tutorial. All the steps below are only required now if you are using a version of Odin older than 3.13.1. It is recommended that you use this new version to save yourself the hassle.

Odin v3.13.1 - XDA Link

S8 G950F / G950FD (F ROMs work on the FD variants, there are no FD specific ROMs):

Mirror Link 1 (MEGA NZ) (WIPE) - Thanks @ciccio80
Mirror Link 2 (MEGA NZ) (NO WIPE) - Thanks @ciccio80
Mirror Link 3 (Google Drive) - Uploaded by me

Let me start of by saying, Samsung changed some things around with Oreo. I downloaded 'XXU1CRAP' using SamFirm today, tried with both TUR and DBT CSCs, to make sure it wasn't a bad download or anything, but Odin just wouldn't accept the file. It froze on the first step, sboot.bin.lz4.

I had never seen the .lz4 extension before, so I asked a couple of helpful lads in the Samsung Oreo Telegram group who were very helpful throughout this process.
For those of you who want to join:
http://t.me/sammyoreoclub

Samsung is using a new compression method for the Oreo ROMs, so all files within BL, AP, CP and CSC have the .lz4 extension which Odin has trouble reading, and so the flash will never go past the first step.

Note: THIS DOESN'T TRIP KNOX.

Pre-requisites:
-SamFirm to get the CRAP ROM - https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/tool-samfirm-samsung-firmware-t2988647
-Windows PC
-This modded version of 7Zip which can open .lz4 files. Link - Github
-The ability to read the instructions below.
-Prince Comsy's modified Odin - Google Drive Link
-A Galaxy S8/S8+ (G950F / G950FD / G955F / G955FD) - I tested this on my own G955FD and it worked just fine.
-The XXU1CRB7 Oreo ROM for your device
-A decent amount of storage space on your PC
-Preferably some experience with flashing using Odin

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES, FOLLOW TUTORIAL AT YOUR OWN RISK.
INTERNAL STORAGE WILL BE COMPLETELY WIPED CLEAN (IF YOU USE CSC_OXM), MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING.
IF YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE SHOWS AS '16 GB' AFTER FLASHING, DO A FACTORY RESET AND IT'LL RETURN TO NORMAL.

Steps below:

1. Extract the zip file for the 3.7 GB firmware file you just downloaded. Should contain 5 files, AP, BL, CP, CSC_OXM and HOME_CSC_OXM.
In the tutorial below, I will be using CSC_OXM, however that does wipe internal storage.
If you are coming from ZRA5 or just don't want to wipe your data, use HOME_CSC_OXM instead.

2. All the files will have ".tar.md5" extensions. Remove the .md5 part so they can be opened in either WinRAR or 7Zip.
AP will contain a folder called 'meta-data', userdata.img.lz4, system.img.lz4, recovery.img, boot.img.lz4
Extract all these files from AP into a new folder. Right click on each one, select the '7Zip Standard' menu and hit 'Extract Here'.
This will extract all the files within, without .lz4 extensions. So you'll have userdata, system, recovery and boot as plain IMG files.
Note: Repeat this for CP, BL and CSC_OXM.

3. Grab the original file names for the files you extracted earlier, copy paste them into notepad.
They should be in this format, make sure .md5 isn't added at the end of any filenames. Do keep in mind that the filenames for the S8 (G950F) will obviously be slightly different.

Code:
AP_G955FXXU1CRAP_CL12993656_QB16754780_REV00_user_low_ship_meta.tar
BL_G955FXXU1CRAP_CL12993656_QB16754780_REV00_user_low_ship.tar
CP_G955FXXU1CRAP_CP8821296_CL12993656_QB16754780_REV00_user_low_ship.tar
CSC_OXM_G955FOXM1CRAP_CL12993656_QB16754780_REV00_user_low_ship.tar

4. Select all the files you extracted for AP (including the meta-data folder), right click, scroll down to the '7Zip Standard' menu again and this time hit 'Add to Archive'. Copy-paste the filename for whichever file you're creating an archive for, AP, BL, CP or CSC, make sure archive format is set to .tar and leave everything else default and hit 'OK' at the bottom of the window.
Note: This too will be have to be done for CP, CSC and BL as well.

5. Once this is done, you should have 4 .tar files ready to be flashed. Open up Prince Comsy's Odin, add each file to it's respective field in Odin.

6. Connect your device in Download Mode, press Start, and wait for the flash to be completed and for Odin to show 'PASS' at the top of the window.
Your device will reboot automatically.

ALTERNATIVELY, you can watch this very crappy screen recording I made for a better idea on how to do it.

YouTube link: https://youtu.be/eyIh3_p8WBQ

Credits go to:

@FatalONEM8 and @me2151 for helping out.
Tino Reichardt (mcmilk) for the modified 7Zip
Prince Comsy for the modified Odin.
Samsung for making flashing more and more difficult every year.

----------------------------

For Linux/Ubuntu, @kernel.killer has created a script to unpack the .lz4 compressed firmwares without having to do all of the above manually.
See this post - Link

Last edited:

Dark_3g

Feb 12, 2018
s

It works perfectly!, finally I have Oreo from a clean installation :)

TaNUblX.png

I uploaded the files with the extraction process done (.lz4) in Google Drive but I can not publish it because I'm new, If someone wants it, you can ask for it through PM.

geiti94

Mar 18, 2009
Zürich
WARNING TO ALL ROOTEED USERS!!!!!!! DONT FLASH CLEAN OREO DIRECTLY OR YOU CANT FLASH TWRP!!!!!! for reflash then twrp you need to stay 7 days on stock without reboot phone!!!!!!!!!!! so wait that someone makes a modded rom with some stuff disabled and that updates bl and modem or you will get a nice red screen when you boot fully stock oreo and then try to boot in twrp!!!!!!!

SAME IS FOR OREO INSTALLED OVER OTA!

Last edited:

narcis1974

Apr 20, 2010
Currently CRAP file is one and the same for the Nordic Countries, Spain, France, Germany, Turkey, Poland found on Sammobile.com ?
Tnx.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G950F folosind Tapatalk

tomaasz

Feb 21, 2012
Zabrodzie
WARNING TO ALL ROOTEED USERS!!!!!!! DONT FLASH CLEAN OREO DIRECTLY OR YOU CANT FLASH TWRP!!!!!! for reflash then twrp you need to stay 7 days on stock without reboot phone!!!!!!!!!!! so wait that someone makes a modded rom with some stuff disabled and that updates bl and modem or you will get a nice red screen when you boot fully stock oreo and then try to boot in twrp!!!!!!!

can I use this guide to install CRAB when I have Renovate r44 (Oreo beta6) ?

How to recover from this?

lumenit

Feb 12, 2018
I made everything like in instruction but it stops at File analysis.... . What should i do ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE (27TH FEB 2018): We now have Odin v3.13.1 which is compatible with the new .lz4 compressed files referred to below in the tutorial. All the steps below are only required now if you are using a version of Odin older than 3.13.1. It is recommended that you use this new version to save yourself the hassle.

Odin v3.13.1 - XDA Link

S8 G950F / G950FD (F ROMs work on the FD variants, there are no FD specific ROMs):

Mirror Link 1 (MEGA NZ) (WIPE) - Thanks @ciccio80
    Mirror Link 2 (MEGA NZ) (NO WIPE) - Thanks @ciccio80
    Mirror Link 3 (Google Drive) - Uploaded by me

Let me start of by saying, Samsung changed some things around with Oreo. I downloaded 'XXU1CRAP' using SamFirm today, tried with both TUR and DBT CSCs, to make sure it wasn't a bad download or anything, but Odin just wouldn't accept the file. It froze on the first step, sboot.bin.lz4.

I had never seen the .lz4 extension before, so I asked a couple of helpful lads in the Samsung Oreo Telegram group who were very helpful throughout this process.
    For those of you who want to join:
    http://t.me/sammyoreoclub

Samsung is using a new compression method for the Oreo ROMs, so all files within BL, AP, CP and CSC have the .lz4 extension which Odin has trouble reading, and so the flash will never go past the first step.

Note: THIS DOESN'T TRIP KNOX.

Pre-requisites:
    -SamFirm to get the CRAP ROM - https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/tool-samfirm-samsung-firmware-t2988647
    -Windows PC
    -This modded version of 7Zip which can open .lz4 files. Link - Github
    -The ability to read the instructions below.
    -Prince Comsy's modified Odin - Google Drive Link
    -A Galaxy S8/S8+ (G950F / G950FD / G955F / G955FD) - I tested this on my own G955FD and it worked just fine.
    -The XXU1CRB7 Oreo ROM for your device
    -A decent amount of storage space on your PC
    -Preferably some experience with flashing using Odin

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES, FOLLOW TUTORIAL AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    INTERNAL STORAGE WILL BE COMPLETELY WIPED CLEAN (IF YOU USE CSC_OXM), MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING.
    IF YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE SHOWS AS '16 GB' AFTER FLASHING, DO A FACTORY RESET AND IT'LL RETURN TO NORMAL.

Steps below:

1. Extract the zip file for the 3.7 GB firmware file you just downloaded. Should contain 5 files, AP, BL, CP, CSC_OXM and HOME_CSC_OXM.
    In the tutorial below, I will be using CSC_OXM, however that does wipe internal storage.
    If you are coming from ZRA5 or just don't want to wipe your data, use HOME_CSC_OXM instead.

2. All the files will have ".tar.md5" extensions. Remove the .md5 part so they can be opened in either WinRAR or 7Zip.
    AP will contain a folder called 'meta-data', userdata.img.lz4, system.img.lz4, recovery.img, boot.img.lz4
    Extract all these files from AP into a new folder. Right click on each one, select the '7Zip Standard' menu and hit 'Extract Here'.
    This will extract all the files within, without .lz4 extensions. So you'll have userdata, system, recovery and boot as plain IMG files.
    Note: Repeat this for CP, BL and CSC_OXM.

3. Grab the original file names for the files you extracted earlier, copy paste them into notepad.
    They should be in this format, make sure .md5 isn't added at the end of any filenames. Do keep in mind that the filenames for the S8 (G950F) will obviously be slightly different.

Code:
    AP_G955FXXU1CRAP_CL12993656_QB16754780_REV00_user_low_ship_meta.tar
    BL_G955FXXU1CRAP_CL12993656_QB16754780_REV00_user_low_ship.tar
    CP_G955FXXU1CRAP_CP8821296_CL12993656_QB16754780_REV00_user_low_ship.tar
    CSC_OXM_G955FOXM1CRAP_CL12993656_QB16754780_REV00_user_low_ship.tar

4. Select all the files you extracted for AP (including the meta-data folder), right click, scroll down to the '7Zip Standard' menu again and this time hit 'Add to Archive'. Copy-paste the filename for whichever file you're creating an archive for, AP, BL, CP or CSC, make sure archive format is set to .tar and leave everything else default and hit 'OK' at the bottom of the window.
    Note: This too will be have to be done for CP, CSC and BL as well.

5. Once this is done, you should have 4 .tar files ready to be flashed. Open up Prince Comsy's Odin, add each file to it's respective field in Odin.

6. Connect your device in Download Mode, press Start, and wait for the flash to be completed and for Odin to show 'PASS' at the top of the window.
    Your device will reboot automatically.

ALTERNATIVELY, you can watch this very crappy screen recording I made for a better idea on how to do it.

YouTube link: https://youtu.be/eyIh3_p8WBQ

Credits go to:

@FatalONEM8 and @me2151 for helping out.
    Tino Reichardt (mcmilk) for the modified 7Zip
    Prince Comsy for the modified Odin.
    Samsung for making flashing more and more difficult every year.

----------------------------

For Linux/Ubuntu, @kernel.killer has created a script to unpack the .lz4 compressed firmwares without having to do all of the above manually.
    See this post - Link

I share the mega link (created by me) with the OREO DBT firmware: https://mega.nz/#!nJ10ibbR!MKn7qG3KxIwNQGSXP62eaHnl_R2WYYKQbtfLlsVyCpI

Inside the archive you will find the 4 files (AP-BL-CP-CSC), extracted following the guide of @ Murtaza02, which I thank, and Prince Comsy's modified Odin.

This is DBT CSC Wipe version, if you install it you lose all data.

Greetings

Ciccio80
    Stuck on File analisis... Used moded ODIN. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I pasted right name with .tar but I didnt choose TAR as file format. I cant believe it happened to me. Though it is late and I'm freaking out as I thought I bricked my phone. :D
    s

It works perfectly!, finally I have Oreo from a clean installation :)

TaNUblX.png

I uploaded the files with the extraction process done (.lz4) in Google Drive but I can not publish it because I'm new, If someone wants it, you can ask for it through PM.