[Q] Failed root with odin, cannot detect with Kies 3

Search This thread

CoryG89

Mar 31, 2012
I recently got a Galaxy Note 3 from Verizon. I wanted to root the device, it was really easy with my old original galaxy so I looked at a few guides which were all using "Root de la Vega" and finally tonight in an attempt to root my device I used the guide at:

phonearena.com/news/How-to-Root-the-Verizon-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3_id48247

I put the phone into download mode and connected it to Odin with the included Samsung USB 3.0 cable. I selected the root de la vega firmware using the AP button and hit Start to begin flashing. Almost immediately after the write starts it fails and on the phone it says:

"Secure check failed: cache"

In the guide it mentions there may be problems using the USB 3.0 cable so I tried it with a USB 2.0 cable with the same results. I tried rebooting the phone to see if it had wiped it. Indeed, it had been wiped and is now going to the screen which says there was a problem updating the firmware and says to use the Software Recovery Assistant to restore the firmware.

I am not sure why this has happened. I feel like I followed the instructions to the letter. After looking at some different guides I am noticing that many have you put the phone into USB debugging mode which the guide I was following doesn't mention. Is this why it has failed. Is this strictly required?

I would like to get this device rooted, but now my number one priority is getting it back into a state where it will be more useful than the paperweight on my desk. I tried downloading Kies 3 which I read can restore the stock firmware on the phone. I was extremely annoyed when I realized that Kies 3 would not recognize my phone at all. It says that the device is not supported by Kies 3 and gives me a link to check support (which just brings me to the Kies download page which clearly states that my phone (Note 3) is supported. I even tried to download the original Kies software which will not even recognize the device enough to tell me it's not supported.

Can anyone point me to a way to restore my phone to factory settings? Can I download the stock firmware and flash it with Odin, will this work if I couldn't get the custom firmware to flash in Odin (possibly because of not setting USB debugging?).

EDIT: Note that, following the guide, I did not check which build number my phone is before running Odin, now I have no idea which it is and what stock firmware to download. Is there anyway to figure out which build my phone was on or which stock firmware I need to download?

EDIT: So it looks like my problem is similar to this problem posted on XDA. I followed the link in that thread to this guide to restore the stock firmware. However, it has three different downloads for different builds, I am not sure which I should download or if there is a way to figure it out. Will any of them work? Can I try them one at a time safely until one of them works. I don't want to mess things up any worse than I already have.. I downloaded the MI9 firmware from that page, but this is just a guess... Anyone have any idea?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
I recently got a Galaxy Note 3 from Verizon. I wanted to root the device, .........

......Any help will be very much appreciated.

Click the link in my sig and d/l the MJE tar, flash it in ODIN (instructions also provided)

Then, you can follow the root, safestrap and cust rom links...

All links, step by steps, everything you need to get you up and running are in the link in my sig :D

Start fresh with the OEM MJE tar, then go from there... Hit me up in that thread for additional help!

Reactions: CoryG89

CoryG89

Mar 31, 2012
Click the link in my sig and d/l the MJE tar, flash it in ODIN (instructions also provided)

Thank you very much! I wish I would have found your guide first. I flashed the MJE firmware, was able to successfully root using Kingo (after a few attempts). I also installed safestrap and the open source superuser app. :D

Now I just have to figure out what roms I want, looks like I can take advantage of the multiple rom slots and try a few before installing one into the stock rom slot.

Again, many thanks!

Reactions: Az Biker

tss01

Dec 2, 2012
Waterford
Odin to MJE Question

Hi, my phone is fully stock with MJE on it. To root my phone, would I need to install the MJE tar file and also use King or just the MJE file? So far, I have had no luck using Kingo to root my phone.

Thanks

G

GuestK00143

Hi, my phone is fully stock with MJE on it. To root my phone, would I need to install the MJE tar file and also use King or just the MJE file? So far, I have had no luck using Kingo to root my phone.

Thanks
Just Kingo should do it for you. I did this last week stock on mje. Make sure you have usb debugging enabled or it won't work. I also used Kingo 1.1.6 instead of 1.1.7 and I had no problem at all woth knox or anything. It worked like a charm.

Az Biker

Staff member
Just Kingo should do it for you. I did this last week stock on mje. Make sure you have usb debugging enabled or it won't work. I also used Kingo 1.1.6 instead of 1.1.7 and I had no problem at all woth knox or anything. It worked like a charm.

Why 1.1.6 instead of .7?

Notorious 3

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Thanks

Follow the 'Root with Kingo' instructions in link (see my sig)... no worries, you'll be rooted snd running in no time.

Notorious 3

G

GuestK00143

Why 1.1.6 instead of .7?

Notorious 3

I used 1.1.6 because I wasn't sure if their new version was going to automatically add a custom recovery and trip Knox. I was reading the comments on their facebook page (Kingoapp) and saw one that said it will trip knox but a few days later read that it was a option to install a custom recovery. Instead of taking a chance I downloaded the older one and used that. Also in the 1.1.7 comments there is a link to official Samsung drivers if you want to be sure to have the latest ones. There are links for all their versions on the fb page if anyone wants to try that route.

Last edited:

tss01

Dec 2, 2012
Waterford
Rooting w/Kingo

Finally was able to get root! What I did was uninstall the Samsung drivers and re-install them. Thank goodness it's finished. I also just installed HyperDrive and Beans. It's kinda nice having a choice each time I turn the phone on.

Thanks for your help.

Az Biker

Staff member
Finally was able to get root! What I did was uninstall the Samsung drivers and re-install them. Thank goodness it's finished. I also just installed HyperDrive and Beans. It's kinda nice having a choice each time I turn the phone on.

Thanks for your help.

Way to go! Glad you worked through it...

Notorious 3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently got a Galaxy Note 3 from Verizon. I wanted to root the device, .........

......Any help will be very much appreciated.

All links, step by steps, everything you need to get you up and running are in the link in my sig :D

Start fresh with the OEM MJE tar, then go from there... Hit me up in that thread for additional help!

Thank you very much! I wish I would have found your guide first. I flashed the MJE firmware, was able to successfully root using Kingo (after a few attempts). I also installed safestrap and the open source superuser app. :D

Now I just have to figure out what roms I want, looks like I can take advantage of the multiple rom slots and try a few before installing one into the stock rom slot.

Again, many thanks!