How will XDA handle Windows RT?

Search This thread

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
As you may know, there has been an official statement saying what editions of windows 8 there will be.

For x86, there will be two available to consumers (standard and pro) and one available only for volume licensing (enterprise).

Windows 8 ARM, often called WoA, has officially been named Windows RT. It will not carry the name "8" at all.

How will XDA handle this? There is already a Windows 8 forum on XDA, but this is a mobile development site, and Windows 8 will me mainly geared towards desktops and laptops. There will be some x86 tablets but most expect the new windows tablets to mainly run on ARM. Windows RT will be mostly tablets and some laptops.
Microsoft has also previously stated that windows phone 8 will be its own operating system, and will not be the same as WoA, now to be referred to as Windows RT (just pointing this out to avoid confusion)

So, a few options I can see happening:
-the Windows 8 forum being changed to windows RT, as this is a mobile site, and not having a windows 8 forum
-the windows 8 forum being kept, as there will be some mobile devices running it, and a windows RT forum being created as well, since they're different OSes
-making windows 8 have two main sections - x86 and RT (since they can run the same programs and share a lot of code)

What do you think will happen, and why?
And if anyone involved in the decision making process sees this, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Not sure it's a huge priority tbh...

Once we start to see what's coming out, I guess a decision will be made about if only the ARM version will be covered...

I could imagine something like a Windows 8 category (like a device appears as a category), with 2 subforums - ARM Devices and x86 Devices...

Just an idea, but not a major priority AFAIK. Guess it's a case of seeing how things go.

Top Liked Posts