BubbleUPNP doesnt start to play video

Search This thread

maxiv

Sep 24, 2010
Hi everyone,

just installed my sweet new chromecast, but running into a few problems,,

I've installed bubbleupnp on my Windows 8.1 and also on my nexus 5. I can browse the library on my pc (allthough I haven't quite figured out how to include or exclude some folders) and I can also click to play the files on my nexus 5. The nthe BubbleUPNP screen on my TV (via chromecast) does load....but I can't see any picture of the video and the video doesn't start playing.

Does anyone know the solution to this`?

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I've installed bubbleupnp on my Windows 8.1 and also on my nexus 5. I can browse the library on my pc (allthough I haven't quite figured out how to include or exclude some folders) and I can also click to play the files on my nexus 5. The nthe BubbleUPNP screen on my TV (via chromecast) does load....but I can't see any picture of the video and the video doesn't start playing.
Likely your media is not compatible with Chromecast.
Install BubbleUPnP server on your PC and enable the transcoding option in BubbleUPnP.

maxiv

Sep 24, 2010
is this the setting you mean?

Done that, didn't help :/

when i use my phone as renderer, most files play back just fine. Yeah, I guess it hast to do with the format of the files also...but just can't solve it yet :/

edit: So with an MKV (just a few, not all) it just worked (bubbleupnp on tv brought up the loading bar and then the file started playing).
with .avi it doesn't seem to work. is there any solution to this?

Attachments

• transcoding.JPG
    transcoding.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 760
Last edited:

Nedle

Oct 5, 2013
is this the setting you mean?

Done that, didn't help :/

when i use my phone as renderer, most files play back just fine. Yeah, I guess it hast to do with the format of the files also...but just can't solve it yet :/

edit: So with an MKV (just a few, not all) it just worked (bubbleupnp on tv brought up the loading bar and then the file started playing).
with .avi it doesn't seem to work. is there any solution to this?

MKVs can play without transcoding, .avi files will need transcoding. Go into BubbleUPnP on your phone, settings->Chromecast and enable transcoding there.

maxiv

Sep 24, 2010
MKVs can play without transcoding, .avi files will need transcoding. Go into BubbleUPnP on your phone, settings->Chromecast and enable transcoding there.

Thanks for you help. You mean like so? Still doesn't work :/

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-27-17-44-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-27-17-44-31.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 748

Nedle

Oct 5, 2013
Can you check your CPU workload during transcoding? It might no be able to handle it. If so you can try changing your transcoding settings to increase performance.

maxiv

Sep 24, 2010
Can you check your CPU workload during transcoding? It might no be able to handle it. If so you can try changing your transcoding settings to increase performance.

what file type should I click!? Since playing such files doesn't seem to work (just a few, not all, MKVs work) i'm not sure if checking the CPU workload makes sense?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I did, and I now also enabled transcoding under the "networks and settings" menu in settings...most MKVs seem to work fine by now, still no luck with .AVI though...

Most MKVs contain MPEG-4 video, so they require little/no readjustment.

AVIs, on the other hand, come from the early days of Windows 3.11 when only a handful of CODECs were included and MPEG-4 wasn't born yet (IIRC MPEG-2 was being standardized at the time).

Most times AVIs will require some kind of trancoding, because few people put MPEG-4 in an AVI, unless it's DivX.

maxiv

Sep 24, 2010
Most MKVs contain MPEG-4 video, so they require little/no readjustment.

AVIs, on the other hand, come from the early days of Windows 3.11 when only a handful of CODECs were included and MPEG-4 wasn't born yet (IIRC MPEG-2 was being standardized at the time).

Most times AVIs will require some kind of trancoding, because few people put MPEG-4 in an AVI, unless it's DivX.

I understand, and as far as I can tell by now I have checked all options for transcoding, but nothing's really happening yet. Do you have any more tipps as to how I could make this work?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I understand, and as far as I can tell by now I have checked all options for transcoding, but nothing's really happening yet. Do you have any more tipps as to how I could make this work?
Sorry, I haven't quite reached that stage in my setup yet, I just know a lot about video and transcoding. :)
At the moment HandBrake is chugging away at my library of ~1400 files, conforming them to MPEG-4 for Chromecast as well as other target use.
At current run rate it's going to take 2-3 weeks.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Have you tried casting from the browser to the CCast on the Win8 Machine?

It could be a communication problem on the Win8 side of things...
The Bubble App on android is what would trigger the player to display on the CCast side but if transcoding is needed the stream would be coming from the Win8 Machine and that wouldn't happen if the Win8 machine can't communicate with the CCast properly.

Try using the Cast a tab in Googlcast Chrome and make sure the Win8 Machine sees the device at all....

If it doesn't see it make sure to enable IPv6 in your Network settings of Win8 and Router (not sure why but Google suggests this as a solution)

If it does see it and can stream a tab then there is something else going on and we will have to look into other aspects of it.

after that try to disable the firewall in Win8 and see if that helps...If so then you need to open up some ports for Bubble on the Win8 Firewall.

BTW have I expressed lately how much I despise Windows 8? LOL

maxiv

Sep 24, 2010
Have you tried casting from the browser to the CCast on the Win8 Machine?

It could be a communication problem on the Win8 side of things...
The Bubble App on android is what would trigger the player to display on the CCast side but if transcoding is needed the stream would be coming from the Win8 Machine and that wouldn't happen if the Win8 machine can't communicate with the CCast properly.

Try using the Cast a tab in Googlcast Chrome and make sure the Win8 Machine sees the device at all....

If it doesn't see it make sure to enable IPv6 in your Network settings of Win8 and Router (not sure why but Google suggests this as a solution)

If it does see it and can stream a tab then there is something else going on and we will have to look into other aspects of it.

after that try to disable the firewall in Win8 and see if that helps...If so then you need to open up some ports for Bubble on the Win8 Firewall.

BTW have I expressed lately how much I despise Windows 8? LOL

As I said, casting most MKVs (not all) works just fine, as well as casting youtube videos and chrome tabs. all good. it's just some MKVs and AVIs in general that don't work with bubbleupnp

I was testing the free version of BubbleUPNP as well and I found out that I could cast a video taken with my phone but an other video, also taken with my phone wasn't casting. It kept going with the progress bar on my TV and after a few minutes the screen went black.

I assume that the camera of my phone always records in the same format and always in full HD, so it is very strange one short clip works and an other short (less than a minute) clip doesn't...

I did not try with the server or a PC

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
Hi everyone,

just installed my sweet new chromecast, but running into a few problems,,

Does anyone know the solution to this`?

What is the media server that you use on your PC to access your videos ?
It if it Windows Media layer (WMP), there is a known issue on some setups where no video will play to Chromecast. This is specific to WMP.
Until I find the cause it is recommended to use any other media server, such as Serviio.

bhaskarchawla

Nov 6, 2015
I'm having a similar problem, but in Ubuntu 14.04. I followed the instructions on the BubbleUpnp site to get BubbleUpnp server installed. I use PS3 Media Server. For some reason, I can't stream any video files to my Chromecast using BubbleUpnp, even mkv ones. A progress bar flashes on my TV screen for a split second and then nothing happens. Any ideas?

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
I'm having a similar problem, but in Ubuntu 14.04. I followed the instructions on the BubbleUpnp site to get BubbleUpnp server installed. I use PS3 Media Server. For some reason, I can't stream any video files to my Chromecast using BubbleUpnp, even mkv ones. A progress bar flashes on my TV screen for a split second and then nothing happens. Any ideas?

@bhaskarchawla

I really do not recommend using PS3 media server. I suggest trying Serviio.

MrOtto123

Dec 6, 2020
I had the same problem playing MP4 format. Transcoding is enabled in the server and remote transcoding is indicated. Played on Chromecast with BubbleUPnP on Android, the video starts to load, but stops and return to the background screen. Serviio media server.