Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
Reserved

Just a few words of advice on keeping this thread clean of unnecessary clutter:

1. Before posting a question, it is highly recommended to read this thread.

2. Click the Thanks button on the posts that helped you, instead of posting "Thanks". This helps other members in finding out the best replies that get buried in the thread.

3. Do not use this thread to increase your post count! The Off-Topic forum is the place for that.

4. Do a simple search of this thread before asking to see if your question has been asked previously.

5. If your question has not received an answer after a few hours, please be patient. Someone will answer you shortly. If you do not get an answer in 24 hours, you may BUMP your post. If you still have no answer after a week, do mention me in your post.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Last edited:
B

Bruce Wayne

How to Ask your question in this thread, the UI in posting, so that you'll get better help
As this is the General Question & Answers Section, it will be probably usual that all users asking questions here will have the same device, so make sure To mention the device you own, if your question is related to your phone specifically.

Describe your problem completely, including all the steps that got you into the problem and you performed while trying to solve the problem
That makes us and everyone here trying to help you, understand and answer your question in a better way.

For those who want to help/answer
As mentioned in OP we are not here to spoon feed someone. Just give a hint that should click the person asking question.
Ask them to search for the thread, don't give direct link to it.
Give a man a fish, and you feed
him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for lifetime.
More to come..

Last edited:
B

Bruce Wayne

Hi can you tell me any tread which will help me to make three options in my power menu i.e shutdown,restart,restart recovery i am a slight newbe but i can learn editing if i have to i plan to have this and notification toggle in my tablet please can you help...:confused:

look in this thread. I hope it helps you. xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=811532

Also generate habit of using search button. make sure you search before you ask next time. And also use short keywords for searching. That will give you better results. May be better than the link I gave you.
A Hero Can Be Anyone.
GENERAL HELP THREAD

tallnutt

Apr 29, 2013
ZTE V970 Brick?

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo

mynewshiny

Apr 28, 2013
stupid newbie question: Is there any way to run fastboot without connecting the phone to a computer?

Device: HTC One V [CDMA]
Network: Virgin Mobile US

Goal: I want to be able to relock and unlock (which on my device is
Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken <txt file>
) my phone without having to connect to a computer.

Motivation: I've already managed to near-brick my HTC One V twice, both due to HTC's silly OTA radio update (details here), and the only way I was able to fix it in either case was to use Solution #2 from the linked thread (although I didn't try solution #1, there is absolutely no way to do #1 without Windows, never mind without a computer). Since I've proved perfectly capable of soft-bricking without the intervention of a computer—although I don't think that will happen anymore as long as I remember not to use my two Nandroid backups with the newer radio—I would really like to be able to unbrick it without a computer in case I have to do it when I don't have a computer handy.

Thanks in advance!

B

Bruce Wayne

Hi,

I've been trying to install Bruno's ROM for this phone (cam with all chinese apps). http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1856578

but have a big problem. I tried my best to follow the instructions but, really couldn't work out if I was doing things in the right order.. is there an actual step- by step for this procedure? I know I'm a noob and read this read that I am an idiot etc. etc. but I thought if I used to ROM on that page and the software recommended it would be easy.

Here's what I did:

Downloaded all the files as told.

Tried to 'flash a custom recovery' as here http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

but it did not mention how to use the ZTE custom recovery file http://d-h.st/Vgt

I'm also not sure at all that the 'MediaTek drivers' were installed properly. The phone never appeared in the Device manager.

I opened SP flash tool and followed this: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

and selected the 'scatter file' from the unzipped Bruno ROM (took a while to realise had to unzip it to get the file!!!)

I noticed most of the boxes on the scatter file were unchecked but carried on and ignored a warning message about the phone may not be able to boot (the tutorial said to ignore it).

I had to click 'download' then plug the phone in and eventually I got the red loading bar. This finished... then nothing else.. no purple bar.. nothing.

So after waiting a few minutes I unplugged the phone.

It now appears to be a total brick. What did I do wrong? Why no purple bar? Were the scatter items supposed to be unchecked? What was the 'custom recovery' file for? Because the SP flash prog never asked for it.

Is there any point in trying it again or is the phone dead?

Thanks for any help..

Theo

Can you go back into recovery mode? I don't have that device, so it would difficult for me to understand your situation completely. If you done a nandroid backup earlier, try to restore it (it was suggested by the op/bruno in that thread).
If not then try asking for help from bruno himself or other people in that thread, they can answer you in better way, because they might have passed from your situations earlier.

Also welcome to xda :)

newbie question: Is there any way to run fastboot without connecting the phone to a computer?

Code:

Motivation: I've already managed to near-brick my HTC One V twice, both due to HTC's silly OTA radio update (details here), and the only way I was able to fix it in either case was to use Solution #2 from the linked thread (although I didn't try solution #1, there is absolutely no way to do #1 without Windows, never mind without a computer). Since I've proved perfectly capable of soft-bricking without the intervention of a computer—although I don't think that will happen anymore as long as I remember not to use my two Nandroid backups with the newer radio—I would really like to be able to unbrick it without a computer in case I have to do it when I don't have a computer handy.

Thanks in advance!

I own a samsung device, so I don't know much about htc. And I feel nandroid is only way you can unbrick a soft brick without PC. Still wait for others who own htc to answer you.

A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD

Reactions: SUPERGITSU

mark manning

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique
stupid newbie question: Is there any way to run fastboot without connecting the phone to a computer?

Code:

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately there is no way to use fastboot with out a computer

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

matamorph

Apr 30, 2013
ROM "TheUltimatum"

Hi all at XDA, I LOVE THIS SITE!!! :good:

This is my first post, and for annoying, yet understandable, reasons I am forced to pose my question here. (feels a bit like putting a message in a bottle...)

I have just installed The Ultimatum ROM (with Metro UI & swapall kernal options) on my Galaxy ace. I guess as I live in France my language setting was automatically set to French. After setting it to my preffered English, I noticed that in the app draw the language for certain apps remained in French!!! I had the same issue with this rom's previous incarnation "WP-Remix" however, after an updade to the Launcher8 app through play store, the problem was solved. :highfive:

Whats weird is this: in this rom the Launcher8 app is not recognized by Google Play as being the Launcher8 app, and therefore, will NOT update. Is it a heavily modded version of launcher8? or is there a settings problem somwhere perhaps? Would repairing permissions, or something like that help play find the app, if so, by what method? Recoverey or Titanium? This ROM seems to have some quirks unique to it alone, and I would not want to fcuk somthin' up!

I hope this finds the right eyes, Any help would... well........help. :)

PS: Yes I know its not a huge problem, and yes I do speak French, its just annoying is all... :eek:

Reactions: SUPERGITSU
B

Bruce Wayne

Hi all at XDA, I LOVE THIS SITE!!! :good:

This is my first post, and for annoying, yet understandable, reasons I am forced to pose my question here. (feels a bit like putting a message in a bottle...)

I have just installed The Ultimatum ROM (with Metro UI & swapall kernal options) on my Galaxy ace. I guess as I live in France my language setting was automatically set to French. After setting it to my preffered English, I noticed that in the app draw the language for certain apps remained in French!!! I had the same issue with this rom's previous incarnation "WP-Remix" however, after an updade to the Launcher8 app through play store, the problem was solved. :highfive:

Whats weird is this: in this rom the Launcher8 app is not recognized by Google Play as being the Launcher8 app, and therefore, will NOT update. Is it a heavily modded version of launcher8? or is there a settings problem somwhere perhaps? Would repairing permissions, or something like that help play find the app, if so, by what method? Recoverey or Titanium? This ROM seems to have some quirks unique to it alone, and I would not want to fcuk somthin' up!

I hope this finds the right eyes, Any help would... well........help. :)

PS: Yes I know its not a huge problem, and yes I do speak French, its just annoying is all... :eek:

You can simply download the updated copy of the launcher8.apk from some other site. after that use any root exploring app like root explorer/es file maneger,( I hope you have root privilages on the rom you are using.) Just replace the old apk from /System/App folder of with updated one and set its permissions as (rw-r-r). You can also try fix permissions option from cwm recovery. Also you can find more help in your device's question and answers section.

You will be allowed to post in developement sections after you complete 10 posts. Make them helpful/cintributory to xda.

And you are most welcome here if you have any problems again.

Ok, was worth a shot. Thanks!

I appreciate, but don't post such posts. Use the button right away whenever you want to say thanks to someone. ;)

A Hero Can Be Anyone. GENERAL HELP THREAD

tallnutt

Apr 29, 2013
Can you go back into recovery mode? I don't have that device, so it would difficult for me to understand your situation completely. If you done a nandroid backup earlier, try to restore it (it was suggested by the op/bruno in that thread).
If not then try asking for help from bruno himself or other people in that thread, they can answer you in better way, because they might have passed from your situations earlier.

Also welcome to xda :)

Hi,

I can't post to the original thread - I don't have permission. I didn't do a backup because it said to do that if you didn't want to loose data and the phone is new and has no data. I tried holding the volume button and on button (is that recovery mode) and nothing happens.

What I don't understand is why the 'scatter file' appeared to be incomplete for the ROM (V3.1MOD (27-12-2012) ) and why the downloading stopped after the red bar.. I don't think I did anything wrong. Is there a problem with the scatter file, if so, there may be a lot of people wrecking their phones with this rom??

Still need help!

Reactions: taufiqisk
Hii, I have a htc touch pro 2.
My device doesn't seem to charge properly, when the phone is powered on and in use or not in use, the phone's battery stays the same.
When the device is turned off, it takes like 2 or 3 hours sometimes to charge it 30 % .
I tried a different usb cable, I got the same result.
Do you think the problem is in the battery or the charging port ?

P.S.: I have been using my battery for almost 2 years.

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
Hii, I have a htc touch pro 2.
My device doesn't seem to charge properly, when the phone is powered on and in use or not in use, the phone's battery stays the same.
When the device is turned off, it takes like 2 or 3 hours sometimes to charge it 30 % .
I tried a different usb cable, I got the same result.
Do you think the problem is in the battery or the charging port ?

P.S.: I have been using my battery for almost 2 years.

Its probably ur battery. Try using a new one. And check ur battery after removing it to see if its swollen.

And do u charge using a USB connection or by using a wall charger? Charging via USB is usually slower.

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
Sent from my SGS II

Its probably ur battery. Try using a new one. And check ur battery after removing it to see if its swollen.

And do u charge using a USB connection or by using a wall charger? Charging via USB is usually slower.

"To err is human, to forgive is divine"
Sent from my SGS II

THANKS, I will buy a new one.
I actually tried both : charging via USB and using my wall charger.

Top Liked Posts