Desktop SMS Manager V2.04 + Smartphone 1.11

Search This thread

infopete

Jul 20, 2007
Market Harborough
I'm no longer working so I've removed the link to my old company.

I've added test version of the cab file that hopefully fixes group sms messages. PocketSMS204.cab

I've just uploaded another release of the desktop application that does not expire.

Version 2.03

Added File\Preferences to allow for different inbox and sent folder names.

Fixed the Invalid Address problem on the pocket pc when sending messages.

Version 2.02

Fixed ip issues on the pocket pc, Moved the files into your "my documents"
Saved the distribution lists.

Version 2.01g Pocket PC Cab - removed

Even more error trapping. ...... Well I thought the new library worked :(

Version 2.01f Pocket PC Cab

Error trapping for ObjectDisposed problem

Version 2.01e Pocket PC Cab

Fixes date issue on new SMS

Version 2.01d Desktop and Pocket PC installs.

I've made a few tiny cosmetic changes to the desktop application and re-built the Pocket PC application to make sure it is Compact Framework 2.0.

Version 2.01c PocketSMS.cab

New version of the inthehand library so it should work better :))

Version 2.01b PocketSMS.cab

I've added a new PDA version with a tiny fix for people with no inbox folders.
just install this instead of the cab with 2.01.

I've gone back to an earlier release of the inthehand library and deleted one line of my code.

Version 2.01

I've finished putting the menus back together that I broke when making the app pretty.

Message Interception now should work better and not crash the app.

Version 2.0

I've upgraded the design and fixed a few issues. Many of the (context) menu actions don't work at the moment but will as soon as I get round to them.
I found I needed to soft-reset my device after the install.

If you have used previous version then copy your original sms.xml and contacts.xml files to the new program directory on your desktop before you run the application the first time.

Version 1.12 (removed)

1. More Error checking.
2. Excel Export
3. Extended character support.

I've added a Smartphone 1.11 cab file.

Version 1.11

This has the new inthehand library which solves a major issue with sendind SMS messages.

It need to access your phone number. On some phones it does this by accessing the SIM card on others it gets the number from the Owner information.

Version 1.09

Hopefully this will solve the Connection problem one or several people have been having.

Version 1.08

Fixed the invalidcast problem and tidied up the communication from the pda to the desktop.

Version 1.07a Desktop and 1.07 Pocket PC release.

27th Oct Added more error trapping to the pocket pc application, now added a smartphone 1.07 release. Smartphone users need to get the desktop application from the other zip file.

I've tidied a few things up and fixed a few reported bugs.

I'm looking for feedback now on what people would like next.

Pocket SMS V1.06 (Alpha) is available.( removed the binaries)

V1.06 takes some of the processing off the phone and moves it to the desktop so the performance is so much better.

Just added PocketSMS_Smartphone_105.zip This contains a totally untested build for the smartphone.
Install the PocketSMS_SmartPhone.Cab on your device. You may need to install the inthehand.mobile.2.1.cab too.

Pocket SMS is a desktop SMS Manager designed to interface directly with Pocket PC Phones.

Key features:
Full Backup of All text messages
Chat history by Contact
Send Text Messages from the desktop
Distribution Lists for sending Scheduled text Messages
Folder Management
Telephone a contact

Instructions

For Pocket SMS to work you must be connected via Activesync or, for Vista users, Windows Mobile Device Centre 6.1 (or better).

The software comes in two parts: the desktop Manager and the pocket pc client. You must install the PocketSMS.Cab on your mobile device and the SMSManager.msi on your desktop. In addition if you have not already installed Compact Framework 3.5 on your mobile then run NETCFSetupv35.msi on your desktop to do the installation. You can doenload the Compact Framework here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...37-A62F-4A6E-9727-7791BF4CC2BD&displaylang=en

The first time you connect, depending on the performance of your phone and the number of messages in your SMS folders, Pocket SMS can take quite a few minutes to “look” as if it’s working ….. be patient.

Your Contacts can be downloaded by using File\Synchronise Contacts.

You can view all the contacts by double clicking on "Contacts" in the view.

You can create as many Distribution Lists as you like and Lists can contain more lists or people. You can drag and drop people or messages into any list.

I'm adding more features as I can and still trying to improve the reliabliity.

Let me know what changes you would like.

Regards

Pete

Attachments

• PocketSMSSmart111.CAB
    660.6 KB · Views: 4,683
  • PocketSMS204.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,548
  • PocketSMS204.CAB
    586.7 KB · Views: 3,375
Last edited:

geovass

Oct 30, 2004
OnePlus Open
Hi

I'm writing a free desktop SMS manager that will allow you to:

backup SMS messages onto your desktop.

Send texts from the desktop.

Dial a contact from the desktop.

Reply,Delete, Move folders.

View texts by contact.

I would also like to add MMS messages but have failed to get anywhere with them. I have contacted Arcsoft but the very nice VP of Sales wants $200,000.00 for his developer kit.

Has anyone had any luck in interfacing to the Arcsoft MMS?

Regards

Pete

Thats very interesting!
keep on the updates !!

CmdKewin

Aug 11, 2006
Lugano, Switzerland
Well, regarding MMS, what you "could" do, is call the pocket pc composer via a RAPI call. Other than that, you'll definitively need some kind of SDK, since the MMS service is not a standard one.

JackG058

Jul 13, 2007
Independence, Missouri
Wow, I can't wait infopete

That sounds like a great app you are working on, even if you cannot get the MMS portion to work. Please let us know when the app is ready and how we can obtain it. I'd definitely like an easy desktop means of backing up my SMS messages. I always hate having to lose them when I do a hard reset. Keep up the good work and thank you for your efforts.

wacky.banana

Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2007
Pete,

If you are gauging interest for this app then I, for one, am definitely interested. Looking forward to it, especially the backup facility.

Cheers

WB

infopete

Jul 20, 2007
Market Harborough
SMS manager

Hi,

Peter Foot of inthehand fame is hoping to do something with MMS. So I may be able to extend the Manager to MMS later in the year.

The second alpha release should be by Monday. The xda-orbit guys gave me a big list of "wants" while I was on holiday and I'm working through this before the next release.

If you have any definate requirements (other than the obvious) let me know.

Pete

sphinxy

Apr 11, 2007
Sydney
Just wondering, doesnt SOTI PocketController do all the things you have mentioned from your phone?

You just go to create an SMS when your connected and type it in with your keyboard - the keyboard inputs it on your phone via your computer.

Maybe im missing the point of what your trying to do?

infopete

Jul 20, 2007
Market Harborough
SOTI

Hi

Soti is an excellent tool, I use it all the time.

I agree the functionality I'm offering will be much as you get on the XDA.

But this way you can delete messages off your phone and keep a history on your desktop.

Plus the interface should be quicker and of course much much bigger.

Pete

infopete

Jul 20, 2007
Market Harborough
SMS Manager Alpha release

Hi,

the next alpha release of SMSmanager is here. It's not finished so some things don't work. However, I'd like to get it tested and have some feedback before I go much further.

I have attached a zip file. Unpack it. Copy the cab file to your phone and install it on the device. (not the storage card). I had to do a soft reset on mine before it appeared in programs. Do not start the application.

Then install the desktop application and launch it.

If i've done my job right the desktop application will launch the pocket application and they will start to chatter to each other.

All your texts and contacts should appear on the desktop.

If you have any problems email me

I've tested it on an Orbit and an Exec.

Regards

Pete

Attachments

• SMSManager.zip
    689.4 KB · Views: 1,532
Last edited:

Carnivor

Feb 19, 2005
Now that is really cool, it crashes alot on vista, but if i stay in the inbox all the sms can be read fine.

there is a strange horizontal bar that i keep managing to grab with the mouse and its only once actually resized anything.

When trying to send a txt i got this error

Unhandled exception has occured in your application

I clicked continue, it crashed

anyhow...this is only the 1st alpha, and you proved it works, if you want me to post the full error i got when sending lemme know,

I can see this app evolving into what has been needed for years

As youve got it setup, ive had nothing to do on the ppc app, can this just be turned into a system tray icon, as we dont really need to see it and some options could be configured there. could it then also close itself when disconnected? after all you only have to open the pc app to connect in again.

10/10 on the concept here tho, very small, very simple, and it kinda works :p
Will save so much time when im already at a pc that i sync with, ie home machine and work, i have partnerships with both.

I love it!!

infopete

Jul 20, 2007
Market Harborough
vista

B***** I thought I had solved the Vista issues. I'll try it later to see what I get. If you email me the errors and any screen dumps it may be uselful

The Pocket pc application will eventually be hidden. I keep it visible at the moment to make sure it's working and to keep an eye on it. If you minimize it it should carry on working.

What xda are you running it on?

Pete

Last edited:

wacky.banana

Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2007
Pete,

I take it that your tool is device independent? If yes I would be happy to test it on a Hermes/Tytn running WM6. Desktop is XP/SP2.

Let me know.

Cheers

WB

infopete

Jul 20, 2007
Market Harborough
Hi

or the last two questions:

Yes I hope to create a pluin for outlook and live.

I have tested it on an xda exec and orbit and my colleagues on other devices.

It's supposed to work on anything but that's what bill gates says.

If you have specific problems let me know.

Pete

freakflow

Aug 23, 2007
Thanks - Outlook extension would be awesome =)

Goodjob and goodluck w/ the updates, will be looking for them!

petervbeck

Jun 18, 2007
in front of your monitor
can I see some pictures

Here you are...
v1_1.jpg

When i start the desktop-app (XPSP2, Non-Admin), on my phone (Artemis / WM6) your app is starting, but after a few
seconds i get an error. Installed in main memory and softreset already done twice.

capture002.jpg capture003.jpg capture004.jpg

i know, this is alpha, so i think this is a good information for you ?
Anyway, this app seems to get a great tool...looking forward to the final release.
Great work, cheers

infopete

Jul 20, 2007
Market Harborough
Next Alpha

Hi

I have added a the ability to place a call from the desktop and new messages are anounced with an icon in the system tray.

I hope to add this week:

1. Create New Folder
2. Create New Contact
3. Send SMS to multiple contacts

Any other requests?

Pete

Attachments

• PocketSMS.zip
    689.6 KB · Views: 347

pdafre4k

Nov 30, 2005
Seem like a nice software will try it.
But there is jeyo sms extender if you want to dl your sms and send via computer

wacky.banana

Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2007
Hi

I have added a the ability to place a call from the desktop and new messages are anounced with an icon in the system tray.

I hope to add this week:

1. Create New Folder
2. Create New Contact
3. Send SMS to multiple contacts

Any other requests?

Pete

Pete,

Re te ability to send SMS to multiple contacts, it would be good if the tool could:

- Have the ability to send an sms to multiple contacts by putting ticks agains the names to be included on the sms distribution list, taken off the full list of contacts. What I mean by this is that you would select the names you want to send a message to off a list drawn directly from Contacts by simply putting a tick against selected names.

- Do the same but be able to select a preset distribution list (so I guess the tool needs tha ability for one to be able to create multiple distribution lists and store them for later use).

- Work the other way round, with the ability to send mutiple, differeing sms to a single contact (hope this is not too challenging, from a development standpoint)

- Text sent using this tool must be stored within the Sent box (I have used other tools that don't do this and its a real pain trying to remember what text you sent and to whom).

- Have the ability to move/refile texts into different folders.

if I think of any more I will let you know.

Cheers

WB