2GB MicroSD card slows down the Hermes?

Search This thread

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I have a 8525 that has been unlocked and SuperCID, with all the Cingular ExtROM stuff removed. When I use the phone with a 1 GB MicroSD, I don't see any performance issue or slowness.

However, when I upgraded to SanDisk 2GB MicroSD card, it seems to slows down the unit by about 10-20%. As a matter of fact, pressing the ON button give a delay of 1 seconds before the screen turned on!

I just want to verify if this is a known issue or I have a defective card or I need to upgrade to ROM 1.09.

BRad Barnett

Nov 12, 2006
Holy crap on a stick!

So that's why the Hermes is so slow to turn on when I hit the button! ;) When I bought my Hermes (TyTN), I bought a 2GB micro the same day.. and slapped it in! It hasn't been out since, really. I definitely see your behaviour here!

Hmm. This is the reason I wanted my screen to stay on, when I'm on a call. I hate that it takes me about 2 seconds to hang up, after the call is done.

If there is some way around this problem, phone-call-long-hangup-annoyance goes away too. ;D

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Hey Brad,

Thanks for the info. So it seems like this is a known problem that the device slows down with 2 GB card.

Just out of curiosity, are you running a TyTn / 8525 and what ROM version do you have?

BRad Barnett

Nov 12, 2006
I'm running a TyTN, but the ROM version is whatever the beast was born with. I did perform an upgrade on the radio side, and I did perform an unlock.. and I was at 1.04 out of the gate...

hookhook

Nov 11, 2006
I have a Sandisk 2Gb MicroSD Card and running 1.35 bl1.09 Rom. I confirm when pressing the ON button gives a delay of 0.5-1 second before the screen turn on when the MicroSD Card is inserted, but I don't think it slows down the whole system. That's fine for me. No big deal!:)

jasjamming

Nov 7, 2006
In the Basement
does it make a difference if the screen turns on 0.5 to 1 second later?

I mean it will take you the same or more time to place the phone to your ear...

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
It may or may not, but it is ODD to someone (me) who previously saw the screen turn on INSTANTLY, and then later on saw that it doesn't. Furthermore, some slow down was experienced in overall system operation.

IN any case, this is called TROUBLESHOOTING, not about someone being picky about having the screen turn on 1 seconds later...

jasjamming

Nov 7, 2006
In the Basement
point taken,

microsd cards are relatively slower than the internal ROM in the hermes, therefore it is expected that performance will slow down if you have apps installed on your micrsd, or ringtones, or tsk files.

if the microsd card is purely formatted (blank) is there a performance penalty?

BRad Barnett

Nov 12, 2006
does it make a difference if the screen turns on 0.5 to 1 second later?

I mean it will take you the same or more time to place the phone to your ear...

Uh. ;)

Well, first, you don't turn on the phone and then put it to your ear. If it is an incoming call, the screen turns itself on. If you're calling out, you turn on, wait, then go to phone.. then call...

As well, the phone goes to my ear in about 0.1 seconds here. ;P I'm not a 72 year old arthritic man. :D

Seriously though, the only reason I care, is because when I hang up, it sounds like I _am_ an addled old man! I say "bye", take the phone from my ear, press the "on" button, wait 1.2 seconds or so, then hit the end button.. and wait for the hangup. All said and done, that can get close to 2 seconds, just to hang up.

Yes, that is a long time. How long does it take me to hang up on my Treo, or on a land line? The Treo's screen is on during calls, so... perhaps .2 or .3 seconds. Landline? I hang up before I even manage to get the phone from my ear! The button is 2mm from my thumb when I'm holding the phone!

Anyhow.. someone commented in another thread that a lot of these problems are because the tech is new. Well, I'm sorry, it isn't. It's because companies aren't learning, and because Microsoft isn't developing the OS fast enough. I bought a Compaq IPAQ in 2000. Literally all of my complaints with it, about the contact system, about syncing, about backlights and leds, about dialing.. they're all still here!

MS needs to address some of these usability issues. It isn't a big deal to allow the backlight to dim more than currently, or provide for toggling leds off, or screens on during calls. It isn't a big deal to improve the contact system after 6 years.

It's just poor production values.

shogunmark

Retired Senior Moderator
May 10, 2006
most of the 8525 users i have seen on this board all had the same complaint about the backlight taking 1-2 seconds to turn on.. and sorry to say mine does it with or without my sd card. my 8125 was instant.. and i would imagine after a few updates all of this will get better

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
microsd cards are relatively slower than the internal ROM in the hermes, therefore it is expected that performance will slow down if you have apps installed on your micrsd, or ringtones, or tsk files.

if the microsd card is purely formatted (blank) is there a performance penalty?

Yes, I am aware of the slowness od Flash memory (SD, MicroSD, MiniSD, etc.). However, I didn't have this type of slowness in my 8125, MDA, or even on the iPaqs.

I have formatted it before, but to no effect. I didn't install any "system" type file in the card, such as .tsk or ringtone that is used by the "phone" application.

On another note: when I took out the card and reinsert it, sometimes the PDA won't recognise it. I.e. nothing shown under Settings -> System -> Memory or in File Explorer.

In any case, I want to find out if I have a bad SD card.

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
It's the standard SanDisk 2 GB card. I no longer have the box, so I don't know the speed.

Regarding faster speed, I don't think any manufacturer now have a faster version (i.e. Ultra version type). The only one I know that is very fast is ATP brand, but they don't have the 2Gb version.

balld

Nov 5, 2006
Oklahoma
Uh. ;)

Well, first, you don't turn on the phone and then put it to your ear. If it is an incoming call, the screen turns itself on. If you're calling out, you turn on, wait, then go to phone.. then call...

As well, the phone goes to my ear in about 0.1 seconds here. ;P I'm not a 72 year old arthritic man. :D

Seriously though, the only reason I care, is because when I hang up, it sounds like I _am_ an addled old man! I say "bye", take the phone from my ear, press the "on" button, wait 1.2 seconds or so, then hit the end button.. and wait for the hangup. All said and done, that can get close to 2 seconds, just to hang up.

Yes, that is a long time. How long does it take me to hang up on my Treo, or on a land line? The Treo's screen is on during calls, so... perhaps .2 or .3 seconds. Landline? I hang up before I even manage to get the phone from my ear! The button is 2mm from my thumb when I'm holding the phone!

Anyhow.. someone commented in another thread that a lot of these problems are because the tech is new. Well, I'm sorry, it isn't. It's because companies aren't learning, and because Microsoft isn't developing the OS fast enough. I bought a Compaq IPAQ in 2000. Literally all of my complaints with it, about the contact system, about syncing, about backlights and leds, about dialing.. they're all still here!

MS needs to address some of these usability issues. It isn't a big deal to allow the backlight to dim more than currently, or provide for toggling leds off, or screens on during calls. It isn't a big deal to improve the contact system after 6 years.

It's just poor production values.

Not too seem contrite here, but why do you(when hanging up) first push the on button? Is this something that must be done on the TyTn and not the 8525? Please keep in mind that I'm a newb here. I just hang up "normally" on my 8525 by hitting the end key. Even after it has gone into "pseudo stand-by mode". Screen comes back on, if I choose to hit the power key to cycle device into stand-by mode, fine, if not, I'll make another call or let the backlight/system go into stand by a short time later. Please advise :confused:

BRad Barnett

Nov 12, 2006
Not too seem contrite here, but why do you(when hanging up) first push the on button? Is this something that must be done on the TyTn and not the 8525? Please keep in mind that I'm a newb here. I just hang up "normally" on my 8525 by hitting the end key. Even after it has gone into "pseudo stand-by mode". Screen comes back on, if I choose to hit the power key to cycle device into stand-by mode, fine, if not, I'll make another call or let the backlight/system go into stand by a short time later. Please advise :confused:

How can I hit the end key? I *must* set my device to ignore all buttons but the power button, otherwise it just keeps coming on in my pocket.

So, when the phone goes off because of a call, only the power button awakes it. Which key is the "end" key, anyhow? I don't think there is such a hard key on the phone, is there? Anyhow, even if there were, again.. I have it set to ignore all button presses except the power button, when off.

Of course, a mature and "cool" OS, would realise that there should be a checkbox for "When on a call, and when phone is off, button X still works". :p

silent_killa

Jul 23, 2005
It's the standard SanDisk 2 GB card. I no longer have the box, so I don't know the speed.

Regarding faster speed, I don't think any manufacturer now have a faster version (i.e. Ultra version type). The only one I know that is very fast is ATP brand, but they don't have the 2Gb version.

SanDisk have a 2Gb Ultra II available (10 mb/s!!)
Seen this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SanDisk-2GB-U...ryZ98876QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thinking of upgrading my Kingston 1Gb to this :)

S.K.

shogunmark

Retired Senior Moderator
May 10, 2006
How can I hit the end key? I *must* set my device to ignore all buttons but the power button, otherwise it just keeps coming on in my pocket.

So, when the phone goes off because of a call, only the power button awakes it. Which key is the "end" key, anyhow? I don't think there is such a hard key on the phone, is there? Anyhow, even if there were, again.. I have it set to ignore all button presses except the power button, when off.

Of course, a mature and "cool" OS, would realise that there should be a checkbox for "When on a call, and when phone is off, button X still works". :p

even when mine is asleep and i am on a call it still recognizes the send/end button, i am able to hit the button and end the call

jompao

Nov 22, 2006
Did anyone try to change the clustersize when formatting the card? I think this cuold improve read/writespeed. Also it usually improves things to defragment also a memorycard.

Top Liked Posts