[HOWTO] Root HKTW 2.3.4 - The easier way

Search This thread

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
I don't know if I am the only one who realized there's su binary already in the build. Anyway, this is a shorter route to have root working on your phone. This only works with the HKTW 2.3.4 build! And this instruction have only be tested by me. So, do take precautionary measures.

DOWNLOAD: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6418171/SuperUser.zip

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Extract the zip to your internal storage (i.e. /sdcard)

2. Get into the phone shell i.e.

3. Then, type and press enter:

4. Lastly, copy and paste these whole chunk to your phone shell and press enter:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system && cp /sdcard/SuperUser/su /system/bin/su && chmod 6755 /system/bin/su && cp /sdcard/SuperUser/SuperUser.apk /system/app/SuperUser.apk && mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/dosu

If there's no error with the output, you should have root access on your phone now. Tada! Do report of this works for you!

Last edited:

samcripp

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2010
Sanford
Anyone else experiencing issues getting their phone recognize by adb

Sent from my Atrix 4g Ubl 2.3.4

ruqqq

Oct 12, 2008
i guess i didn't phrase the instruction clearly. sorry. just edited first post.. reread everything and try again.

jimmer411

Jul 15, 2009
su: not found

For some reason USB debugging does not seem to be working properly, even with stay awake checked.

EDIT:

An even easier way.

I decided to run beforeupdate.bat and afterupdate.bat and was able to successfully gain root access on hktw-2.3.4.

Last edited:

wicked_beav

Feb 20, 2009
Detroit, Michigan
su: not found

For some reason USB debugging does not seem to be working properly, even with stay awake checked.

EDIT:

An even easier way.

I decided to run beforeupdate.bat and afterupdate.bat and was able to successfully gain root access on hktw-2.3.4.

Can you be more specifically on those files? Where to download and how exactly did you go about running those files?

sauronith

Oct 23, 2010
I get an error at the last part when I put it in cmd

Whenever I type in 'su', I get permission denied - and dosu doesn't work either.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if I am the only one who realized there's su binary already in the build. Anyway, this is a shorter route to have root working on your phone. This only works with the HKTW 2.3.4 build! And this instruction have only be tested by me. So, do take precautionary measures.

DOWNLOAD: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6418171/SuperUser.zip

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Extract the zip to your internal storage (i.e. /sdcard)

2. Get into the phone shell i.e.

3. Then, type and press enter:

4. Lastly, copy and paste these whole chunk to your phone shell and press enter:
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system && cp /sdcard/SuperUser/su /system/bin/su && chmod 6755 /system/bin/su && cp /sdcard/SuperUser/SuperUser.apk /system/app/SuperUser.apk && mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/dosu

If there's no error with the output, you should have root access on your phone now. Tada! Do report of this works for you!
    had to run it a few times.. but it worked! thx!
    Can you be more specifically on those files? Where to download and how exactly did you go about running those files?

Sorry I thought that the beforeupdate and afterupdate was the more widespread root method on the atrix.

http://www.2shared.com/file/0BLAG_Y3/beforeupdate.html

Extract and run beforeupdate.bat, and follow the instructions and then run afterupdate.dat and it will ask you to enter a few commands into adb shell.

This worked flawless for me, tested twice on my device. beforeupdate.bat and afterupdate.bat are not my creation.
    Hi guys, first, sorry for this noob question: How can I "get into the phone shell i.e.
    adb shell"?

:confused:

Just open command prompt on windows by:
    1. Hit Windows key + r : you will see run window
    2. Type cmd and hit enter
    3. You will see command prompt.
    4. Navigate to the folder where you have adb.exe by using cd c:/location/to/adb
    5. Follow everything from the OP and it will be done now.
    trying to start up adb shell "The system cannot find the path specified" im putting in its location. exactly right any ideas?

No, don't put adb, end it at platform-tools\

Alternatively you could Shift+right click in the folder and just choose "Open command window here"