Need video chat / conference testers

Search This thread

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
I recently published my ReelPortal video chat/conference software for Android 2.2 (using Adobe AIR 2.5) at the AppsLib market:

http://appslib.com/applications/app.html?ida=31520

I don't have a G Tablet, but would like to compile a list of devices that the app works on. So I'm looking for testers out there.

Please provide feedback if you try it. Thanks.

For more info on testing, please visit www.ReelPortal.com.

I just added another version reelportalX.apk (version 1.0.1). This version is working fine now. I suggest using it instead of the older one.

You must get Adobe AIR 2.5.1 from Android Market, or you can download the Adobe AIR SDK (http://www.adobe.com/products/air/sdk/), and get it in subdirectory runtimes\air\android\emulator, or runtimes\air\android\device. I found that Adobe doesn't allow posting the AIR apk on a website. Note: don't use the AIR link in post #6.

If you want to test chat with other folks around the world, please join the "xda" room (all lower case). Capacity is limited ;).

firewater2003:
Install Adobe Air 2.5.1 from here: http://download.pandaapp.com/?app=soft&controller=android&action=show&f_id=2291

Beware of TNT dashboard:
MoonPops: I kept getting the black screen while starting up ReelPortal in the TNT dashboard home, but it works fine in the Android Home Classic screen interface.

Firmwares that were confirmed to work:
Stock TNT 3588 (do NOT use TNT dashboard)
TnT 4.1.0
TNT lite 5.01
VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0B5.1

Attachments

• reelportalX.apk
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited:
Reactions: nunjabusiness

insight3fl

Oct 11, 2009
when I launch reelportal app, it get a blank screen :(

I did find adobe air 2.5 and installed it from another source.

kxs783kms

Sep 20, 2009
I installed Adobe Air and your. apk and everything installed fine. Web cam and interface came up and seems to work fine. Only problem is, I don't have anyone to chat with, so I don't know how well that works......lol.

tedlogan42

Jun 29, 2010

Same experience here. Stock 3389 with performance pack. Grabbed Air from another XDA post (2.5.15320). It just comes up to a blank screen.

Can those who got it to work link the apk they located?

Reactions: trscons

jimcpl

Dec 14, 2008
I recently published my ReelPortal video chat/conference software for Android 2.2 (using Adobe AIR 2.5) at the AppsLib market.

I don't have a G Tablet, but would like to compile a list of devices that the app works on. So I'm looking for testers out there.

Enclosed is the apk file. For more info on testing, please visit the ReelPortal website.

Hi,

I found this:

http://reelportal.blogspot.com/

Is this your website?

If I'm understanding how this works (when it works), these chats go through your chat server, and the way that we would do one-to-one video chats would basically to "join" a chat on your chat server?

Thanks,
Jim

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
reelportal.com

Jim:

Yes, that's my "readme" page for my ReelPortal dot com site. Sorry I'm not allowed to post any links :(.

You are correct on the server. It routes the data from the clients to each other. However, the clients can also do peer-2-peer with each other (this is the default mode). When first started, the clients all connect to my server to sign on. The server checks for name conflict and room availability, and authorizes the session. If you are in a room, the server connects you to all the clients in the room automatically. Of course, you can call individual person if you know their name(nick). You can also disconnect from any client you want.

In p2p mode, all video/audio traffic goes directly from client to client(s). The server doesn't have to process it. If you select client/server mode, then the server receives your stream and distribute it to all subscribing clients. This lessen your uplink bandwidth if you have multiple subscribers.

The next version will allow you to specify your own server. And yes, you can run your own server on linux, windows, or macOS. And perhaps other platforms too, if you are inclined to do so. An older server version is currently available from my download page, but I will release the newer version in conjunction with the next client.

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
www.reelportal.com

I installed Adobe Air and your. apk and everything installed fine. Web cam and interface came up and seems to work fine. Only problem is, I don't have anyone to chat with, so I don't know how well that works......lol.

To test, you can actually call yourself :). Once connected, press button 7 (P2P), and select "Send to Server" mode. Then, press one of the "blue head" on the right, then press the ">" button on the dialog. A list will appear, and your nickname is the always the first one on the list. Click it, and you should see your own stream feeding back to you. Basically:

Your video ----> Server -----> Your device

Or if you have a computer, just run the web client on your computer, join the same room on both devices, or call the other's nick to establish connection. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: firewater2003

insight3fl

Oct 11, 2009
I also tried the adobe air file posted here, but reelportal apk only opens to a blank screen still. What are we doing wrong?

Dante_l1

Mar 7, 2008
I ran a brief loopback test under low 4g in Philadelphia. Performance looked good but I was unable to select front camera on EVO. I will play with this some more but front camera access is a must.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

reelportal

Jan 11, 2011
Los Angeles
I ran a brief loopback test under low 4g in Philadelphia. Performance looked good but I was unable to select front camera on EVO. I will play with this some more but front camera access is a must.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Apparently, the front camera can't be access at this time :(. I googled this:

"AIR does not currently support the front camera.

In fact, the Android OS does not natively support the front camera. The device manufacturer provides a separate Java library that makes the camera available to Java apps."

I wonder if Android 2.3 supports multiple cams.

Also, is the front camera access problem the same for all tablet devices? Or is it device dependent?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently published my ReelPortal video chat/conference software for Android 2.2 (using Adobe AIR 2.5) at the AppsLib market:

http://appslib.com/applications/app.html?ida=31520

For more info on testing, please visit www.ReelPortal.com.

I just added another version reelportalX.apk (version 1.0.1). This version is working fine now. I suggest using it instead of the older one.

You must get Adobe AIR 2.5.1 from Android Market, or you can download the Adobe AIR SDK (http://www.adobe.com/products/air/sdk/), and get it in subdirectory runtimes\air\android\emulator, or runtimes\air\android\device. I found that Adobe doesn't allow posting the AIR apk on a website. Note: don't use the AIR link in post #6.

If you want to test chat with other folks around the world, please join the "xda" room (all lower case). Capacity is limited ;).

firewater2003:
    Install Adobe Air 2.5.1 from here: http://download.pandaapp.com/?app=soft&controller=android&action=show&f_id=2291

Beware of TNT dashboard:
    MoonPops: I kept getting the black screen while starting up ReelPortal in the TNT dashboard home, but it works fine in the Android Home Classic screen interface.

Firmwares that were confirmed to work:
    Stock TNT 3588 (do NOT use TNT dashboard)
    TnT 4.1.0
    TNT lite 5.01
    VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0B5.1

Same experience here. Stock 3389 with performance pack. Grabbed Air from another XDA post (2.5.15320). It just comes up to a blank screen.

Can those who got it to work link the apk they located?
    www.reelportal.com

To test, you can actually call yourself :). Once connected, press button 7 (P2P), and select "Send to Server" mode. Then, press one of the "blue head" on the right, then press the ">" button on the dialog. A list will appear, and your nickname is the always the first one on the list. Click it, and you should see your own stream feeding back to you. Basically:

Your video ----> Server -----> Your device

Or if you have a computer, just run the web client on your computer, join the same room on both devices, or call the other's nick to establish connection. Hope that helps.
    NP on the link.

Tried it
    Vegan 5.1
    It asked to install air sent me to the market and I insstalled air.
    opened program screen went white for a few seconds then loaded portal.
    logged in and saw myself after enabiling webcam.
    had wife login to site on laptop, I searched for her then she accepted and we saw each other.
    room was dark quality was a bit poor. But it did work easily.