Considering a xoom, still a good option?

Search This thread

glock20c

May 22, 2011
based on your guys opinions here and elsewhere, i ordered the xoom and should have it in my hands tomorrow. really excited about this device! i even changed my sig already :D

I think you'll be Happy...got one three weeks ago for 300.00 and it was the best
300.00 I spent in a while...the main reason for me buying the Xoom was the
great DEV support that comes with it...hope you enjoy yours

Reactions: mrmako777

ghodzilla5150

Jul 6, 2010
San Bernardino, CA
I agree, good choice. I bought the WiFi Version the day it came out and have no need for another Tablet. ICS gave my Xoom new life. It's fast and butter smooth. I am running stock and it good enough for me. If you want to delete Files off your SDCard get SDCardXD ($1.49), definitely worth the price.

ZeroXoom

Apr 18, 2012
Just got my Xoom!

I was looking to upgrade my iPad...and was actually thinking of going with either an Asus or Acer android tablet. It came down to getting an Acer as they were getting ICS in a few weeks...I was surprised in my continuing research that the Xoom already had ICS! I looked on Craigslist and scored one there for a VERY good price. I am very happy with it. A bit different and more technical than the iPad, but so far its been a great experience. I love the widgets and everything seems to be working well. So far the only thing I'm still trying to figure out is when to actually use my MicroSD card. Xoom has 32gb and has not run out of space...so I have a 32gb SD card sitting in the slot without any content!

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I was looking to upgrade my iPad...and was actually thinking of going with either an Asus or Acer android tablet. It came down to getting an Acer as they were getting ICS in a few weeks...I was surprised in my continuing research that the Xoom already had ICS! I looked on Craigslist and scored one there for a VERY good price. I am very happy with it. A bit different and more technical than the iPad, but so far its been a great experience. I love the widgets and everything seems to be working well. So far the only thing I'm still trying to figure out is when to actually use my MicroSD card. Xoom has 32gb and has not run out of space...so I have a 32gb SD card sitting in the slot without any content!
The best thing is to load it up with media files--any music, video, pictures--that you aren't streaming. Also, you can point any backups to the microsd card to keep them safe and save space in your internal storage. 32G seems like a lot, but it will fill up fast if you do a lot of high def gaming, etc.

Have fun!

ZeroXoom

Apr 18, 2012
The best thing is to load it up with media files--any music, video, pictures--that you aren't streaming. Also, you can point any backups to the microsd card to keep them safe and save space in your internal storage. 32G seems like a lot, but it will fill up fast if you do a lot of high def gaming, etc.

Have fun!

Thanks! I am having fun downloading a bunch of apps from the multiple markets. I check first on Google's market...then go to the others. Is there a way to install/put the apps on the SD card? I've heard of something called Apps2SD - but from what I'm reading, I don't think that's the right app and probably doesn't work in ICS. I did download some gameloft game yesterday, and that thing is HUGE.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks! I am having fun downloading a bunch of apps from the multiple markets. I check first on Google's market...then go to the others. Is there a way to install/put the apps on the SD card? I've heard of something called Apps2SD - but from what I'm reading, I don't think that's the right app and probably doesn't work in ICS. I did download some gameloft game yesterday, and that thing is HUGE.
I don't think any/many apps are made to run from sdcard on a tablet. It's because it natively has so much more space and differences in architecture (so I gather...I'm no expert).

mrmako777

Dec 14, 2010
dragging knee on the track
well guys, its gonna be a bit before i get my tablet now. i ordered one from walmart because i felt more comfortable in thinking i would get a US device with the ability to return it no problem if something was wrong with it. instead, wally sends me one that boots up for singapore and has a foreign charger with adapter...on top of the fact it looks like someone grabbed the display model and threw it in the box. needless to say im pretty bummed and im gonna return this thing, so i have to try and hunt down a legit device :(

branshaw09

Nov 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I picked one up on Tuesday. Found it on craigslist for $225. My only complaint is that the screen isn't nearly as clear/sharp as my wife's XYBoard. The darks aren't completely dark at angles. Besides that its a great tab especially at the cost I got it at.

ZeroXoom

Apr 18, 2012
well guys, its gonna be a bit before i get my tablet now. i ordered one from walmart because i felt more comfortable in thinking i would get a US device with the ability to return it no problem if something was wrong with it. instead, wally sends me one that boots up for singapore and has a foreign charger with adapter...on top of the fact it looks like someone grabbed the display model and threw it in the box. needless to say im pretty bummed and im gonna return this thing, so i have to try and hunt down a legit device :(

Man, that sucks! I don't know if this helps, but Daily Steals has the 3G unlocked version at $300 Daily Steals -sorry, can't post URL under 10 post:)

I think that runs honeycomb...and I don't know if ICS has been announced for it. But as branshaw09 and others have said Craigslist seems to be a good place to get one for a good price and be able to physically check it out first. Good luck.

mrmako777

Dec 14, 2010
Man, that sucks! I don't know if this helps, but Daily Steals has the 3G unlocked version at $300 Daily Steals -sorry, can't post URL under 10 post:)

I think that runs honeycomb...and I don't know if ICS has been announced for it. But as branshaw09 and others have said Craigslist seems to be a good place to get one for a good price and be able to physically check it out first. Good luck.

Actually, its funny how things work out. I ended up finding one this evening for $100 less than the one I bought from Walmart. :D

Sent from my HTC MyTouch 4G running MIUI

Jan 31, 2008
I own a Xoom. I have two problems with it. I would prefer a 7 or 8 inch model instead. And the Xoom is very hard to hold comfortably. The edge is too small and it is just always awkward. I look forward to the Google Experience Device from Asus coming out in the near future.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mrmako777

Dec 14, 2010
From Craigslist? Just out of curiosity...how much are folks getting their Xooms for?

the one i bought from walmart, i paid ~$430 for only because i felt like it was worth paying a bit more to have piece of mind and the ability to return it in case something was wrong. alot of ebay sellers i wanted to buy from didnt accept returns and i didnt want to be stuck with dealing with motorola if something was wrong with my device. since walmart pissed that out the window, i figured screw it, ill give ebay a shot. actually found one last night from 1saleaday on ebay for $320 shipped. :D

jason4656

Sep 29, 2009
Funny to see this thread still going, i bought an asus transformer prime instead and i kept it for 6 days then sent it back!! the battery life was absolutely terrible i managed 5hrs use on about 5 different types of test on the main battery with just the screen, which was just not enough, so i sent it back. I am waiting for my xoom to arrive tomorrow :)

mrmako777

Dec 14, 2010
Funny to see this thread still going, i bought an asus transformer prime instead and i kept it for 6 days then sent it back!! the battery life was absolutely terrible i managed 5hrs use on about 5 different types of test on the main battery with just the screen, which was just not enough, so i sent it back. I am waiting for my xoom to arrive tomorrow :)

Same here man, congrats! We just got ics for the HTC amaze, so I've been pretty busy over there, but can't wait to get my hands dirty over here :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree, good choice. I bought the WiFi Version the day it came out and have no need for another Tablet. ICS gave my Xoom new life. It's fast and butter smooth. I am running stock and it good enough for me. If you want to delete Files off your SDCard get SDCardXD ($1.49), definitely worth the price.
    I too want to buy a tablet. But I'm confused between xoom, galaxy tab 10.1 and transformer TF101.
    So what do you guys suggest?
    My requirements are, good support by Dev community and which wont brick easily...
    Thanks..

Peace.

I have all three and the best will be the one you can find at the best price. All three are near similar hardware with each having an advantage/disadvantage to the others.

Community/Dev support I would have to say the Xoom wins though...as well as being difficult to brick. Google "Experience" device really makes the Xoom a great device.

(I use the Xoom, my wife is using the Transformer and I gave my mother the Galaxy Tab).
    in my opinion, its the best tablet for the cost.

main cons are weight and potentially out of date hardware. that hasn't stopped it from being the first official device to receive 4.0.4

would love if i could get a 2nd one as backup.

HD dock is wonderful. it even works with my otterbox.
    Actually xoom is not availiable online right now and the one availiable in stores is a 3g model which is out of my range. So I was thinking about buying galaxy tab..
    So what do you guys suggest? Should I go for the tab or spend some extra bucks on xoom?
    I really can't decide.. coz both of them almost same...

Peace.

check craigslist in your area, or look on ebay. do your research and you are sure to find a great deal!
    based on your guys opinions here and elsewhere, i ordered the xoom and should have it in my hands tomorrow. really excited about this device! i even changed my sig already :D

I think you'll be Happy...got one three weeks ago for 300.00 and it was the best
    300.00 I spent in a while...the main reason for me buying the Xoom was the
    great DEV support that comes with it...hope you enjoy yours