Xperia S with Mac OS X Discussion

Search This thread

pixy132

Apr 1, 2012
Anyone owns a Mac and the Xperia S?

My experience with the phone (firmware .73) and my Mac (OS X 10.7.3 Lion) is particularly bad:
  • Unable to perform drag and drop media transfer like previous Android devices.
  • The Official Mac Bridge is very buggy (Even on latest update ver2.1), will stuck when transferring lots of file, and does not work with lossless music
  • Unable to perform USB tethering
Don't get me wrong, the phone itself is great, but I just don't understand why it works bad on a Mac.

Please share your experience and possible fix, if any.

Reactions: Karlmadur

kiwiandy

Mar 29, 2008
Christchurch
In fact I switched from iPhone 4 to XS...
I used to have a Huawei phone and a HP TouchPad.
Both works fine on a Mac, just this... :confused:

I aslo switched from iPhone4 to Xperia S... and have exactly the same problems with copying music using Mac bridge... I even posted on the Sony forum for this and got a reply that asked for more information.. and after i gave it never heard from them again...

I now use double twist and air sync to copy music to my phone.
Mac bridge seems to work ok on other media files just not mp3's.

in_deed

Apr 21, 2012
Really lame on Sony's part.

I'm using bootcamp, just so I can use the XS to it's fullest.

pixy132

Apr 1, 2012
OK. So apparently Sony DID try to fix some bugs in the Mac Bridge.
Ver. 2.1 (current) added more options on the Mac Bridge, and it seems the playlist problem works better. Although OS X's Image Capture will not read the device, there's now a direct import photo to folder in the latest version of Mac Bridge.

I am still unable put my entire playlist into the phone though, as the Mac Bridge hangs again when it has transferred about 80% of my songs. I also don't seem to find a workable wired solution for drag-drop file transfer.

Finally, was anyone able to perform backup through the Mac Bridge?
I tried two times and every step return "Failed".

Come on Sony... :-(

MaLt-

Dec 15, 2006
OK. So apparently Sony DID try to fix some bugs in the Mac Bridge.
Ver. 2.1 (current) added more options on the Mac Bridge, and it seems the playlist problem works better. Although OS X's Image Capture will not read the device, there's now a direct import photo to folder in the latest version of Mac Bridge.

I am still unable put my entire playlist into the phone though, as the Mac Bridge hangs again when it has transferred about 80% of my songs. I also don't seem to find a workable wired solution for drag-drop file transfer.

Finally, was anyone able to perform backup through the Mac Bridge?
I tried two times and every step return "Failed".

Come on Sony... :-(

I thought for awhile that Sony Bridge hangs when transferring songs, but it works for me. Give it a little patience ;)
The problem i have though is that when a new song is added to the playlist and Sony Bridge detects it and sync it to the phone, the phone itself doesnt update the playlist but will have the new songs added.

I was able to perform backup through MacBridge but it seems like it uses a lot of the Macs resources when doing this.

zodiac100

Aug 19, 2010
Mac users are always eternally complaining about one thing or another.
I work for a hardware and software rental company and we only ever get Mac users calling in with issues.
I don't understand you guys, you buy an inferior platform that struggles to deal with a computing ecosystem that was built around windows.
I hope making the switch from IOS to Android will reveal something to you Apple fan. The simple truth they make very basic devices which only work well if you stay within the jurisdiction of Apple.
Next time get a flipping PC like 98% of the flipping world.
Stop using a minority device and wonder why developers don't spend enough optimizing their kit for this deluded minority.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

pixy132

Apr 1, 2012
Mac users are always eternally complaining about one thing or another.
I work for a hardware and software rental company and we only ever get Mac users calling in with issues.
I don't understand you guys, you buy an inferior platform that struggles to deal with a computing ecosystem that was built around windows.
I hope making the switch from IOS to Android will reveal something to you Apple fan. The simple truth they make very basic devices which only work well if you stay within the jurisdiction of Apple.
Next time get a flipping PC like 98% of the flipping world.
Stop using a minority device and wonder why developers don't spend enough optimizing their kit for this deluded minority.

Right, just because I complain about *SONY*'s software makes me another mac complain retard, huh?

To be honest, I've been on a Mac for more than a year, with no problem on both hardware and software at all, while I clearly remember my Windows 7 desktop hangs occasionally just for many basic stuff. My last Android device works great with my Mac too, so it's not a Mac problem in any sense.

I don't really want to argue with you about OS (it's pointless) here, but please let me remind you that this is a Mac discussion/support thread, if you have nothing useful to say, just leave, no one force you to reply.

zodiac100

Aug 19, 2010
Right, just because I complain about *SONY*'s software makes me another mac complain retard, huh?

To be honest, I've been on a Mac for more than a year, with no problem on both hardware and software at all, while I clearly remember my Windows 7 desktop hangs occasionally just for many basic stuff. My last Android device works great with my Mac too, so it's not a Mac problem in any sense.

I don't really want to argue with you about OS (it's pointless) here, but please let me remind you that this is a Mac discussion/support thread, if you have nothing useful to say, just leave, no one force you to reply.

I'd rather have a platform that hangs occasionally than one that throws up issues and doesn't work at all with a lot of stuff. If you haven't had any issues with your Mac, that's probably because you've so far stuck to basic computing.
Like I said, Macs regularly throw up issues connecting to third party hardware and I know because I spend many hours each week dealing with these problems.
There is absolutely nothing you can say to change this opinion.

kenwchan

Oct 6, 2008
I had been using Double Twist with my other Android devices but found that the Sony didn't always show up in the menu, so I started to use Isyncr. It works well enough but some songs for some unknown reason won't make it through. I had to remove some songs from my playlist that were causing this and then it was ok. But Double Twist does not see these playlists now so I have to use the built-in app, Rocket player, or PowerAmp. I just use the stock music app now.

As for file access, I happen to be running Parallels, and therefore I can mount the phone on my mac, and as my Windows Desktop can "see" my Mac disk, it's very easy to access the phone. But I agree, it's stupid to have to do this.

The Sony Bridge was goofy for me - I would see for example a duplicate Music folder and music folder (note the case difference) and one folder was spawning duplicates. Deleted one and the other disappeared too! Who knows was weirdness was happening. So I didn't use it. As for photos, I just copy manually; forget syncing to iPhoto, but that's how I always did it for all my other devices.

Rgds
Ken

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone owns a Mac and the Xperia S?

My experience with the phone (firmware .73) and my Mac (OS X 10.7.3 Lion) is particularly bad:
    • Unable to perform drag and drop media transfer like previous Android devices.
    • The Official Mac Bridge is very buggy (Even on latest update ver2.1), will stuck when transferring lots of file, and does not work with lossless music
    • Unable to perform USB tethering
    Don't get me wrong, the phone itself is great, but I just don't understand why it works bad on a Mac.

Please share your experience and possible fix, if any.