Wifi only access to google.com

Search This thread

dkloos

Oct 28, 2012
Hi there,

I'll explain what's wrong here, I have a Samsung S3 i9300 with Android 4.3.1 (SlimBean) and everything works fine. Only when I turn on WiFi (tried several), my internet acces is limited to the google site, and some apps like Facebook and Whatsapp. But when I try to navigate to other websites, I recieve a -Not found- error.

So it seems like technically everything is ok (otherwise I also couldn't open google in my browser). Other devices connected to the same network do not have this issue. I tried to change DNS settings (e.g. 8.8.8.8), but this is not possible in 4.3.1 as far as I can see.

Any suggestions are welcome!

lokeshi007

Jan 1, 2014
Mumbai
www.sitechnologies.in
Hi there,

I'll explain what's wrong here, I have a Samsung S3 i9300 with Android 4.3.1 (SlimBean) and everything works fine. Only when I turn on WiFi (tried several), my internet acces is limited to the google site, and some apps like Facebook and Whatsapp. But when I try to navigate to other websites, I recieve a -Not found- error.

So it seems like technically everything is ok (otherwise I also couldn't open google in my browser). Other devices connected to the same network do not have this issue. I tried to change DNS settings (e.g. 8.8.8.8), but this is not possible in 4.3.1 as far as I can see.

Does it happen on a particular WiFi network or any WiFi?

Is your WiFi hidden?
You can try making Android forget this network & again manually setting it up.

You can also check for any App that may be restricting WiFi traffic

EDIT:
You can change WiFi network settings even in 4.4.2 KitKat

Long Press your Wifi -> Modify Network -> Check 'Show Advanced Options' -> Change IP Settings to 'Static'
Now all settings incl DNS will be visible & you can change them.

Last edited:
Reactions: dkloos

dkloos

Oct 28, 2012
I tested several networks and they're not hidden.

I use DroidWall, but uninstalling this does not have an effect unfortunately. Also forgetting and reconnecting does not help.

[EDIT]
Thanks for the tip, however this also does not give me access to the rest of the world wide web..

Last edited:

lokeshi007

Jan 1, 2014
Mumbai
www.sitechnologies.in
I tested several networks and they're not hidden.

I use DroidWall, but uninstalling this does not have an effect unfortunately. Also forgetting and reconnecting does not help.

[EDIT]
Thanks for the tip, however this also does not give me access to the rest of the world wide web..

Did try using some software such as Wifi Connection Fixer?

Also did you try using different browsers on your phone?

I was having such an issue with ebay.in on the stock browser my i9300. But the same thing loaded perfectly with Chrome.
Clearing the Data & Cache of the stock browser helped later on.

dkloos

Oct 28, 2012
I will try the Wifi Fixer, thanks!

I tried two different browsers without luck, and it is a problem beyond the browser imo, because the Play Store also can not download apps when connected to WiFi. I can search for apps, but when I want to download them, it gives me a -no connection, retry-..

lokeshi007

Jan 1, 2014
Mumbai
www.sitechnologies.in
I will try the Wifi Fixer, thanks!

I tried two different browsers without luck, and it is a problem beyond the browser imo, because the Play Store also can not download apps when connected to WiFi. I can search for apps, but when I want to download them, it gives me a -no connection, retry-..

If nothing works, I guess you might have to reflash your ROM after clearing the whole data & cache.. :crying:

IMO, CM11 M2 (Android 4.4.2) is quite good, just flashed it on my S3..

dkloos

Oct 28, 2012
Well, I now changed the DNS settings to the google DNS server (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and rebooted the phone and this did the trick.

I don't really understand it, but I am glad I can use my phone without wiping it completely again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

Does it happen on a particular WiFi network or any WiFi?

Is your WiFi hidden?
    You can try making Android forget this network & again manually setting it up.

You can also check for any App that may be restricting WiFi traffic

EDIT:
    You can change WiFi network settings even in 4.4.2 KitKat

Long Press your Wifi -> Modify Network -> Check 'Show Advanced Options' -> Change IP Settings to 'Static'
    Now all settings incl DNS will be visible & you can change them.