[ROOT] 1.85 - New, working method - ACT NOW, MAY NOT LAST FOREVER!

Search This thread

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
Silly HTC. THIS EXPLOIT MAY NOT LAST FOREVER. ATT COULD KILL THIS. DO IT NOW.
Warning: If something goes wrong, whatever you do, do NOT install the update that this process finds. If you DO, you will be stuck on 2.20 with no chance for root (currently)
What you need:

HOX on ATT 1.85
su binary from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/don'tusemeimabadsubinary
EDIT: The su binary above has issues. Use this one instead: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9060692/su
Make sure HTC sync is NOT RUNNING (down in system tray)
Make sure phone is set to "charge only" and usb debugging is enabled!

Put su in same directory as ADB. Get to adb command prompt and cd into that directory
NEW - pull sim card
NEW - do factory reset
NEW - when reset is complete, do not replace sim, do NOT connect to wifi. Go through setup, go to settings, enable USB debugging. When that's done:

adb shell rm /data/data/com.redbend.vdmc/lib/libvd*
adb reboot

After the device reboots:

adb shell ln -s /data/local.prop /data/data/com.redbend.vdmc/lib/libvdmscomo.so
(If you get file doesn't exist after the FIRST command don't worry - they may not be there)

Now, on the phone, go to settings and check for software update. It will tell you you need to connect to network. Now, replace the SIM OR connect to wifi. Have it check for software update again. When it's done, do NOT click "yes" or "ok" on the phone. Simply:

adb shell ls -l /data/local.prop

IF AND ONLY IF you get "file not exists" or anything like that then set your phone's date 2 days ahead and reboot the phone and start over. If you get file info, you're golden. Proceed....

adb shell "echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop"

Now it's time to reboot

adb reboot

After phones reboots

adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
adb shell rm /data/local.prop
adb reboot

Congrats, you have root. Install supersu and busybox installer from the market (or Play store).

If you pledged a bounty in the bounty thread, note the instructions here:

Please pay bounty to make a wish foundation

http://www.wish.org/help/donate

Please choose the "Make a Wish Foundation of America" (don't select a chapter). You can use Paypal as well.

Special thanks to designgears as well for being my tester and also writing the one click. He has several hours of work in this project as well. Consider a donation to him, too - http://rootzwiki.com/store

ADDED: Please let me know if this works for you!

ADDED: If you already pushed the wrong binary it's easiest just to start over with the correct binary.

Last edited:

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
Do terminal apps need root to run? Can I do this with terminal and avoid ADB?

mbaran

Jul 12, 2006
I got "no updates found" and permission denied...

-rw------- system system 1196598 2012-05-25 12:36 local.prop

shgadwa

Feb 10, 2012
AWESOME. Thank you so much!

Where do we get su binary?

I'm thinking maybe from a rooted phone? I have a rooted HTC Inspire.

seh6183

Mar 23, 2011
Anyway to put the setting up of ADB in lamens terms for some of us that aren't familiar? I am ok with the commands, I just don't know how to get ADB to command prompt and where to place the files.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Omg. Awesome. Who discovered this exploit?

beaups and dg

Root-Maniac

Jan 10, 2012
SO. Cali.
OMG GOOD JOB!!!! Im already rooted but im proud of you guys!!! GOOD JOB!! Hopefully Me and a Simonsimons will be releasing S=OFF SOON! fingers crossed :D :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Silly HTC. THIS EXPLOIT MAY NOT LAST FOREVER. ATT COULD KILL THIS. DO IT NOW.
    Warning: If something goes wrong, whatever you do, do NOT install the update that this process finds. If you DO, you will be stuck on 2.20 with no chance for root (currently)
    What you need:

HOX on ATT 1.85
    su binary from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/don'tusemeimabadsubinary
    EDIT: The su binary above has issues. Use this one instead: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9060692/su
    Make sure HTC sync is NOT RUNNING (down in system tray)
    Make sure phone is set to "charge only" and usb debugging is enabled!

Put su in same directory as ADB. Get to adb command prompt and cd into that directory
    NEW - pull sim card
    NEW - do factory reset
    NEW - when reset is complete, do not replace sim, do NOT connect to wifi. Go through setup, go to settings, enable USB debugging. When that's done:

adb reboot

After the device reboots:

(If you get file doesn't exist after the FIRST command don't worry - they may not be there)

Now, on the phone, go to settings and check for software update. It will tell you you need to connect to network. Now, replace the SIM OR connect to wifi. Have it check for software update again. When it's done, do NOT click "yes" or "ok" on the phone. Simply:

IF AND ONLY IF you get "file not exists" or anything like that then set your phone's date 2 days ahead and reboot the phone and start over. If you get file info, you're golden. Proceed....

Now it's time to reboot

adb reboot

After phones reboots

adb remount
    adb reboot

Congrats, you have root. Install supersu and busybox installer from the market (or Play store).

If you pledged a bounty in the bounty thread, note the instructions here:

Please pay bounty to make a wish foundation

http://www.wish.org/help/donate

Please choose the "Make a Wish Foundation of America" (don't select a chapter). You can use Paypal as well.

Special thanks to designgears as well for being my tester and also writing the one click. He has several hours of work in this project as well. Consider a donation to him, too - http://rootzwiki.com/store

ADDED: Please let me know if this works for you!

ADDED: If you already pushed the wrong binary it's easiest just to start over with the correct binary.
    I don't understand this method. Can you teach me what exactly is it that you did?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium App

This removes files related to the OTA update from previous attempts to update.

This makes a symbolic link between /data/local.prop and one of the files created when you check for OTA updates.

Now, on the phone, go to settings and check for software update.
    When you check for an OTA update, that file from earlier is re-created, and so is /data/local.prop (because they're linked)

This checks to make sure the local.prop file was created and has the right permissions.

IF AND ONLY IF you get "file not exists" or anything like that then set your phone's date 2 days ahead and reboot the phone and start over.
    This attempts to make the OTA update attempt perform the way we expect when it didn't the first time.

This writes "ro.kernel.qemu=1" to the local.prop file, which makes the phone think it's an emulator upon reboot... and as an emulator, we have the permissions we need to install root.

adb remount

This installs everything we need to have perma-root.

This removes that file that makes the phone think it's an emulator.

Make sense?
    Billy
    hehe, I am going to make a script to do this :p
    Hello,

I was on the thread
    [ROOT] 1.85 One Click Root! - ACT NOW, MAY NOT LAST FOREVER!

But I had no luck because I am outside the USA with no network in my HOX so I have no signals at all in my device for the AT&T.

I was advised by beaups and smnrock to use the manual way but still no luck getting it to work.

here is what I did,
    I downloaded the su file
    I put it in the same directory as the adb.exe
    I 'shift+right click' to open the cmd in the adb.exe directory and then followed the adb command given in the first post which are
    this gave me this message
    rm failed for /data/data/com.redbend.vdmc/lib/libvd*, No such file or directory

then this command

which gave me nothing

then when I go to
    setting > AT&T software update
    I see
    Network is not ready

so I skipped it since I cannot find any update

then
    which gave me
    /data/local.prop: No such file or directory

What should I do my friends.

Thanks in advance.

Remove your sim card
    connect via wifi it will work.
    Anyone who's PM'd me (all 10 of you) over last few days for teamviewer support, please check PM. I'm ready to do another round of these....