[Root for the HTC Magic/Sapphire] (from haykuro) (updated 5/23)

Search This thread

csw43

May 13, 2005
Swadlincote
I have no idea Steve, im too old for all this now :). I rooted my Magic earlier on but having had a g1 and now the magic and seeing the talents of haykuro et al i dont see why not. Lets be fair without haykuro the Magic forum would be a quiet place really. It seems to be all happening in the G1 area at the moment.

Regards Craig

YannR

Mar 4, 2007
Lets be fair without haykuro the Magic forum would be a quiet place really. It seems to be all happening in the G1 area at the moment.
Very true. But that will change over time : Sapphire sales are just starting... And I'm guessing we will see more users when HTC Magic exclusivity (my assumption) in Vodafone territories will end.

csw43

May 13, 2005
Swadlincote
Agreed, but unless im mistaken, haykuro does not own or use a magic, so why the need to provide root solutions, ion roms etc. All im saying is that im not talented enough to do develop these solutions myself, so im very grateful for any and all assistance.

Regards Craig

cmf

I have no idea Steve, im too old for all this now :). I rooted my Magic earlier on but having had a g1 and now the magic and seeing the talents of haykuro et al i dont see why not. Lets be fair without haykuro the Magic forum would be a quiet place really. It seems to be all happening in the G1 area at the moment.

Regards Craig

That's just because the Magic was only launched in the UK with Vodafone a few weeks ago, and only released in Singapore today (30th May), and not released anywhere else yet, or thereabouts anyway.

As more and more tech savvy people get hold of these units there will be a busy community around them. The Magic is going to be such a better seller than the G1, simply because it doesn't have Alfa-like looks and is quite obviously sexy.

csw43

May 13, 2005
Swadlincote
That's just because the Magic was only launched in the UK with Vodafone a few weeks ago, and only released in Singapore today (30th May), and not released anywhere else yet, or thereabouts anyway.

As more and more tech savvy people get hold of these units there will be a busy community around them. The Magic is going to be such a better seller than the G1, simply because it doesn't have Alfa-like looks and is quite obviously sexy.

I dont disagree, the magic is a better looking handset, thats not my point. My argument is that i am not clever enough to develop any of this, so i have to wait for people like haykuro to come up with ideas and solutions for me........and alot of others also....credit where its due

Regards Craig

cmf

I think it would be helpful for people to know whether they actually need a "rooted" image or not, although not that it matters, since rooting an image seems to be such a trivial change anyway (modifying a bash-like script in the image).

Am I correct in assuming that running a non-standard/modified/third-party-supplied/acquired image does not require a hacked image/phone? Does it just require: Fastboot to be enabled (as seems to be the case on the Magic so far anyway), and a one-time execution of the nandroid/update capable recovery image, via "fastboot boot recovery-new.img" so that "apply update" can be run from the Recovery screen. The image that is actually flashed can be bog-standard HTC/Google/Voda/whoever, unrooted ?

What's the deal with the bootloader and cryptographic signatures on the images? Does a special bootloader need to be found/created & loaded for a non-default/non-voda image to be run on the unit without errors due to bad signatures? Or is the signature just checked on updates via the running image, and not relevant to booting images e.g. Vodafone OTA updates can only be applied via a Vodafone-running system?

It's be helpful to me, and I'm sure others, if they knew what they were doing and why. cheers.

It's just that I think people get the jitters about "running a rooted image", and perhaps don't realise that they don't need a rooted/hacked image just to run the Google ION image, or HTC original image, or whatever. It'd be helpful if they knew they were just running a totally normal, non-rooted (since that's a scary sounding word), non-default set of software.

Last edited:

cmf

I dont disagree, the magic is a better looking handset, thats not my point. My argument is that i am not clever enough to develop any of this, so i have to wait for people like haykuro to come up with ideas and solutions for me........and alot of others also....credit where its due

Regards Craig

Of course, credit is due definitely, and I'm very grateful to Haykuro and am hopeful he'll be the man to supply us the HTC original image. I was just commenting on the "G1 is where it's all at" side of things.

Hopefully Haykuro will get himself a Magic ;)

stevetigersix

Feb 10, 2008
Windsor
I think it would be helpful for people to know whether they actually need a "rooted" image or not, although not that it matters, since rooting an image seems to be such a trivial change anyway (modifying a bash-like script in the image).

Am I correct in assuming that running a non-standard/modified/third-party-supplied/acquired image does not require a hacked image/phone? Does it just require: Fastboot to be enabled (as seems to be the case on the Magic so far anyway), a rooted image to be booted just one time ( via fastboot), so that "adb flash system" et al can be run on the unit (as this requires root)? The image that is actually flashed can be bog-standard HTC/Google/Voda/whoever, unrooted ?

What's the deal with the bootloader and cryptographic signatures on the images? Does a special bootloader need to be found/created & loaded for a non-default/non-voda image to be run on the unit without error?

It's be helpful to me, and I'm sure others, if they knew what they were doing and why. cheers.

ok now im lost:confused:

lol i used to own a htc p3300/xda orbit and that was easy to flash to a rom this however is different thing and for some reason it scares the bejasus ota me lol, paranoid moi....you better believe it

csw43

May 13, 2005
Swadlincote
Of course, credit is due definitely, and I'm very grateful to Haykuro and am hopeful he'll be the man to supply us the HTC original image. I was just commenting on the "G1 is where it's all at" side of things.

Hopefully Haykuro will get himself a Magic ;)

I would also like the original HTC image, but it seems that at the moment the G1 thread is where it is all at.......i think we want the same things here and appreciate all the help given by others :)

Regards Craig

cmf

ok now im lost:confused:

lol i used to own a htc p3300/xda orbit and that was easy to flash to a rom this however is different thing and for some reason it scares the bejasus ota me lol, paranoid moi....you better believe it

Well, "got root", or "rooted", means that you are able to run/execute things on the device as though you are a superuser with full control/access and no limitations. That's what a lot of people want, so they can run particular things on the handset, modify certain things, tether via bluetooth, hack this and hack that.

But, if I'm understanding correctly, root access or a rooted image is not needed to just "flash a different rom", and that's what I'm trying to clarify for people, because I think people might think of "a rooted android phone" as something like a jailbroken iPhone, which might break/stop working at the next update..

magpie2000k

Apr 13, 2005
Installing the drivers

Hi folks I have read the entire thread and all the wiki pages.

I cant tell my device to use the drivers in the android SDK

Please help

w3rw01f

Oct 30, 2007
Moscow
Hi folks I have read the entire thread and all the wiki pages.

I cant tell my device to use the drivers in the android SDK

Please help

try this:

If you don't use Windows or adb has no problem with your device,
please skip this.
If your G1 or HTC Magic is not properly recognized by ADB under
Windows, please read this.
The bottom line: Please make sure to enable Home > Settings >
Applications > Development > USB debugging on your G1 or HTC Magic
*before* you plug it in Windows the very first time.
If you read this after the fact, googling why "adb doesn't recognize
my device under Windows", here are the steps to fix it:
This concerns both the G1 and HTC Magic and all flavors of Windows.
1- Remove existing drivers:
1a- Plug your phone
1b- Open the Device Manager
1c- Remove any driver for [ADB Interface > HTC Composite ADB
Interface] and [Disk Drives > HTC Android Phone USB Device] if you see
them
1d- Unplug phone
2- Edit the registry
2a- Disclaimer: be careful what you do in regedit. If you're not sure,
don't use it :)
2b- Open the Registry Editor (Start > search/run > regedit)
2c- You _may_ need to be administrator to do that
2d- Search for "vid_0bb4&pid_0c02" in keys or values. It makes take a
while. If you find in a value, delete the whole key folder.
2e- Some keys might be "locked": right-click them and add "everyone:
full control" to the permissions. Then delete the key folder.
2f- Repeat the search till no more instances are found.
2g- Close regedit.
3- Before your plug in your phone:
3a- Make sure to enable Home > Settings > Applications > Development >
USB debugging on your G1 or HTC Magic
3b- Plug the phone in. Windows should now ask you for a driver
3c- Do NOT selected to search the Windows Update. Instead select "I
will choose a driver" or the equivalent.
3d- Make sure to give the *full* path to the x86 or x86_64 driver, e.g:
SDK/usb_driver/x86/
or SDK/usb_driver/x86_64/
If you just select "SDK/usb_driver", Windows might take the wrong
architecture and complain the driver can't be installed.

source: http://groups.google.com/group/andr...92dcc0a8a9a23/903290bb363ea565?lnk=raot&pli=1

magpie2000k

Apr 13, 2005
try this:

If you don't use Windows or adb has no problem with your device,
please skip this.
If your G1 or HTC Magic is not properly recognized by ADB under
Windows, please read this.
The bottom line: Please make sure to enable Home > Settings >

Thanks Just found that when you replied.

I have followed all the instructions and trying to flash new SPL,

It goes through the process and sais done and then when reboot get to system recovery utility again saying formatting CACHE:...

seem to just hang there.

I can bypass it but my phone still is as it was before am I going mad or should I have lost everything ie be back to basic phone no contacts etc etc etc

Please help again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full procedure so far!

1. Download boot-new.img.zip from http://www.droiddeveloper.com/hrbuilds/boot-new.img.zip
    2. extract boot-new.img to computer.
    3. Download recovery-new.img.zip from http://www.droiddeveloper.com/hrbuilds/recovery-new.img.zip
    4. extract recovery-new.img to computer.
    5. power off device
    6. hold BACK+POWER (or VOLUME_DOWN+POWER) to boot into bootloader.
    Code:
    [b]fastboot boot boot-new.img[/b]
    wait for device to boot.
    [b]adb push boot-new.img /sdcard/boot-new.img[/b]
    [b]adb push recovery-new.img /sdcard/recovery-new.img[/b]
    [b]adb shell flash_image boot /sdcard/boot-new.img[/b]
    [b]adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-new.img[/b]
    [b]adb shell reboot[/b]

you now have root build, and can flash whatever build you like :) (test keys and all)