[TWRP][harpia] TWRP for Moto G Play

Search This thread

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
This is my version of TWRP built for the 2016 Moto G Play. It should work fine, but using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
  • My original green theme
  • No SuperSU
  • No TWRP app
  • No HTC Dumlock cruft
  • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is up on the downloads tab.

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Moto G Play (harpia), Tool/Utility for the Moto G4 Play

Contributors
squid2
Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_harpia

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
Stable Release Date: 2018-08-16

Created 2016-09-03
Last Updated 2018-08-16

Rotkaeqpchen

Apr 30, 2008
Thank you so much for your support. TWRP works perfectly. Although after installing SuperSU, the device doesn't boot. This happened to me on several other devices as well and I don't really understand why it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. Any help is appreciated :)

I even tried the latest beta 2.77 without success.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeeBomb

zeeBomb

Jan 1, 2016
Thank you so much for your support. TWRP works perfectly. Although after installing SuperSU, the device doesn't boot. This happened to me on several other devices as well and I don't really understand why it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. Any help is appreciated :)

Good to know. Thanks again squid2! Quick question, how is the SOT of this device? A lot better than the Moto G3 I'm right?

Another thing: cam anyone use the aida64 app and find the camera Id (sensors) for the rear?

Last edited:

Er. Aditya

Feb 28, 2014
BraveFort

any sucess on root bro ?

mx597turbo

Jun 24, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20
OnePlus 9
First, a big thanks to squid2. TWRP works perfectly!

Anyone knows pls suggest me

1. Install Twrp
2. Back up your phone, just to be safe.
3. Install Automatic flashable zip fix for supersu! - http://xdaforums.com/g4-play/development/automatic-flashable-zip-fix-supersu-t3464396
4. Install SuperSU: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/supersu/download/zip/SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip

Reboot your phone. Worked for me 1st time. The phone may restart several times.

Last edited:

charutl

Aug 24, 2015
Doha
First, a big thanks to squid2. TWRP works perfectly!

1. Install Twrp
2. Back up your phone, just to be safe.
3. Install Automatic flashable zip fix for supersu! - http://xdaforums.com/g4-play/development/automatic-flashable-zip-fix-supersu-t3464396
4. Install SuperSU: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/supersu/download/zip/SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip

Reboot your phone. Worked for me 1st time. The phone may restart several times.

Thanks for your reply & Is this restart problem temporary or permanent???

kindlefire39

Mar 2, 2012
Will this work for the 1601 bell variant? I would think it should as it is a g4 play non Amazon version. At least o would have root till till custom Roms are available. Hey Squid2, great work so far. Is there a way I could send the code for the radio? Kinda of a noob with that aspect.

greekyrox

Dec 19, 2013
Reactions: Jaymoon

nick more

Jun 21, 2015
Madrid
Hello and tried to install the recovery and I get this error: error: can not open'twrp.img 'say I have the bootloader unlocked, please help ,xt1602 moto g4 play

Last edited:

DanHutchins

Sep 2, 2015
Claremont, N.H
How did you guys unlock the bootloader? I have the xt1607 on us cellular and when I type in the unlock data on moto site it says that it's not eligible. I got the phone from the US cellular store. Any help would be great.

Edit: nevermind I got it to go through.

Last edited:

DanHutchins

Sep 2, 2015
Claremont, N.H
I've ported TWRP to the new 2016 Moto G Play. It should work when you flash it, but using it is still a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

To permanently flash it:

Contributors
squid2
Source Code:https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_harpia

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.0.2-r4
Stable Release Date: 2016-09-02

Created 2016-09-03
Last Updated 2016-09-02
Is this working for xt1607 version? Never mind I got it. Works great squid. Is there a boot logo for this yet?

Last edited:

Modder001

Sep 18, 2016
Hello @squid2 sir
I can't find undervolting commit anywhere on your github
Can you help mW finding it please ?
Thanks

Sent from my Motorola Moto E using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my version of TWRP built for the 2016 Moto G Play. It should work fine, but using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
    • My original green theme
    • No SuperSU
    • No TWRP app
    • No HTC Dumlock cruft
    • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

Contributors
    squid2
    Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_harpia

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
    Stable Release Date: 2018-08-16

Created 2016-09-03
    Last Updated 2018-08-16
    Squid TWRP 3.2.1-r1

I've posted an updated build of my TWRP fork. It brings bug fixes related to the ADB backup feature, and also executes automated recovery scripts (such as wipe and update commands) without first waiting for the user to enter a decryption password. As usual, the download is on the downloads tab.
    Squid TWRP 3.2.3-r1

I've posted an updated build of my TWRP fork that has been rebased off the latest upstream version. As usual, the download is on the downloads tab.
    Squid TWRP 3.2.0-r1

I've posted a new build of my TWRP with the latest changes from upstream. It brings better support for Oreo zips while still supporting older ones. It also has improvements to the reliability of backups.
    Hello dear @_that & @squid2

Can you make a TWRP version with the ability to Decrypt Pie ROMs ??? Even if I type the correct PIN/Password, in Recovery says: "unable to decrypt /data" :(
    Thanks a lot :)

Sorry, I had been a combination of busy and lazy for the past 8 months, and so I didn't get to do much related to Android. I got back into it last night, and want to try getting the msm8916 common family in shape for official LineageOS 16. I don't want to make any more promises given my other broken promises, but I should be releasing updated TWRP builds for all these devices some time over the next month or so. I'm currently working on catching up on 9 months of kernel security patches.