Apple Sues Samsung Electronics Over 'Galaxy' Phone, Tab

Search This thread

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110418-711262.html

SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Apple Inc. (AAPL) sued Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (005930.SE, SSNHY) claiming the Korean electronics giant copied the look and feel of its popular iPhone smartphones and iPad tablet computers.

The lawsuit, filed on April 15 in the Northern District of California, alleged that Samsung's smartphones, such as the "Galaxy S 4G," "Epic 4G," "Nexus S" and its "Galaxy Tab" touchscreen tablet, violated Apple's intellectual property.

"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products," the lawsuit said.

Representatives of Apple and Samsung did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The lawsuit is sure to complicate the relationship between the two consumer electronics giants. Samsung makes microchips that are used in some Apple products.

So it seems like Apple can't fight Samsung popularity in Android, and now is deciding to use dirty tricks in court, LOL :p

and Since when TouchWiz seems / feels like iOS? it has nothing alike

Apple is playing the cry baby now, as 2010 sales of android jumped like 200% way over taking iOS, and mostly was thanks to Samsung and all of its like of Galaxy S products.

way to go Samsung :D

This is what i'm referring to, check out the android activation video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqFpq9WXbJo

Last edited:

.Arkham

Mar 25, 2011
Toronto
Oh for the love of...

Well, at least they didn't copy teh suck aspects.

Wall Street Journal: online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110418-711262.html

Engadget: engadget.com/2011/04/18/apple-sues-samsung-over-for-copying-the-iphone-and-ipad/

I hope this is sorted out by the time Canada is supposed to get the S2.

The WSJ source article is pretty flimsy, probably just temporary until they get more details, but this is a bit bothersome.

Last edited:

.Arkham

Mar 25, 2011
Toronto
what a coincidence, i've also mentioned the same here on the other sub forum
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=13009059

with additional info & proof

Cool, but it wasn't there before I looked. (edited post?)

I can't post any links (I guess my original post just fluked b/c there were not HTTPs in them), so we can have this closed on moved there if you want.

Thx for the details.

BTW, Engadget's article has been updated with more details, too.

walk.away

Sep 22, 2010
How can they claim the Nexus S is similar to an iphone? It has no features similar other than being a touchscreen, even that is different as it is curved. Are apple going to sue all companies for making phones? Hmmm, who made the first touchscreen phones...

Joey1.0

Dec 27, 2010
Aw for the love of Pete.... Really?

Hmm... so Apple invented the icons then? or was it tapping on icons? Maybe they invented the idea of having icons on a desktop environment? Uh... uh... got it... having them lined up in a square grid array...

/facepalm...

Actually it is because Apple invented _________.(fill in the blank of something simple such as having a button on the phone you can press that will do something.)

wang1404

Aug 11, 2010
Pensacola, Fl
How can they claim the Nexus S is similar to an iphone? It has no features similar other than being a touchscreen, even that is different as it is curved. Are apple going to sue all companies for making phones? Hmmm, who made the first touchscreen phones...

Haha I like this point of view. It is so true. I mean what the hell? Nexus s looks feels runs way different than the iphone. Its even sold differently.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
i remember a while back Apple had a similar law sue about their MAC colours, when other PC case maker came up with totally different shapes PC cases with a variety of colours which few were similar to them.

Yet, another incident was when a Toilet manufacturer was making Toilet with Apple colour themes, and was also suing the toilet company for copy right infringement

let me see if i can Google up those old news :D LOL :p

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
Come on guys...Samsung Galaxy S definitely looks like an iPhone 3G(s) hardware-side. It's obvious.

But Apple sueing everything they see really is annoying.

munkeyphyst

Mar 9, 2011
Chicago
Why are they suing Samsung for the UI if it's running running pretty standard looking Android OS?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

silverwolf0

Apr 10, 2007
If you think Apple is the only tech company suing for frivolous and stupid things, and it fits your worldview that Apple is the devil, then it is a really pathetic sort of deliberate ignorance. There are so many tech companies suing each other right now, and counter-suing, it's part of their morning routine to let the lawyers out while sipping some finely brewed espresso.

Reactions: RMXO

EleCtrOx666

Aug 6, 2009
70% from the front... but the rest? thats funny.... what your car has also 4 tires and a wheel?

have to sue you bastard!!!
11x0418b7323f.jpg

That is definately a look-a-like. And I'm not even an Apple fan, I'm an Apple-hater but if you can't accept it looks like an iPhone, well then you are lying or blind.

Last edited:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
iToilet

here's something back from the era when Apple sued a toiled company for making something similar to these

http://andyyeo.0catch.com/itoilet.html

toilet_13.jpg

it originally started as a spoof, but then actually a toilet company picked-up the idea and made it for real, obviously not looking like those on the spoof.

the cease and decease order was kinda quick, the sue was about defamatory of stinky Apple's products

LOL :D

still trying to locate the original headlines of the news, it's hard to dig through decades of internet piles of crap. :p

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Aw for the love of Pete.... Really?

Hmm... so Apple invented the icons then? or was it tapping on icons? Maybe they invented the idea of having icons on a desktop environment? Uh... uh... got it... having them lined up in a square grid array...

/facepalm...
    Apple needs to get shot in the face!
    The first touchscreen phone (that I can think of) was the Ericsson R380 - http://www.gsmarena.com/ericsson_r380-195.php
    If you think Apple is the only tech company suing for frivolous and stupid things, and it fits your worldview that Apple is the devil, then it is a really pathetic sort of deliberate ignorance. There are so many tech companies suing each other right now, and counter-suing, it's part of their morning routine to let the lawyers out while sipping some finely brewed espresso.