[Q] Latest bootloader hacking

Search This thread

krystianp

May 14, 2012
Rzeszow
I became owner of RAZR HD recently, unfortunatelly locked with latest firmware. I have some basic knowledge in reverse engineering and kernel development, so I decided to look into Dan Rosenberg's work. My question is are there any devs/hobbists who played with it? I tried to contact Dan but he's not responding, so I guess I'm all alone with it, am I? I'm especially interested in smc command handling. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Krystian

Reactions: thewraith420

Playb3yond

Dec 15, 2012
I became owner of RAZR HD recently, unfortunatelly locked with latest firmware. I have some basic knowledge in reverse engineering and kernel development, so I decided to look into Dan Rosenberg's work. My question is are there any devs/hobbists who played with it? I tried to contact Dan but he's not responding, so I guess I'm all alone with it, am I? I'm especially interested in smc command handling. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Krystian

No one is wanting to go back into unlocking another bootloader, rather you should try looking into downgrading the trustzone (tz) partition to the unlockable version. That would be greatly appreciated.

krystianp

May 14, 2012
Rzeszow
No one is wanting to go back into unlocking another bootloader, rather you should try looking into downgrading the trustzone (tz) partition to the unlockable version. That would be greatly appreciated.

You might not want to go back but I do want to go back into unlocking another bootloader. Why do you think downgrading trustzone partition would be easier than exploiting bootloader?

Reactions: Trebuchette

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
You might not want to go back but I do want to go back into unlocking another bootloader. Why do you think downgrading trustzone partition would be easier than exploiting bootloader?

kexec might be easier than finding another qcom exploit to unlock the bootloader. Hashcode was giving it a shot, but without uart he was working blind and then Dan's exploit changed everything.

Beware of downgrading since you're locked. I remember a few bricking on the Atrix hd.

iBolski

The problem is, Dan's work was finding an exploit. Pure and simple. it was not meant to happen, but he found a way to make it happen. Once Moto knew of this, they put out a patch so that anyone in the future who hadn't unlocked their bootloader would never be able to again. That exploit was a million in one chance of being there. It's not like he cracked the encryption key. That's an even more impossible feat.

No developer is going to put their time and effort into an old phone like the RAZR HD.

Kexec would be nice (using Safestrap recovery like on the RAZR and RAZR MAXX XT912 phones), but even that takes time to figure out how to make it work. I doubt people are willing to put much time and effort into this what with all the new phones that have been released since the HD was released.

Reactions: aviwdoowks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Regards,
    Krystian

The problem is, Dan's work was finding an exploit. Pure and simple. it was not meant to happen, but he found a way to make it happen. Once Moto knew of this, they put out a patch so that anyone in the future who hadn't unlocked their bootloader would never be able to again. That exploit was a million in one chance of being there. It's not like he cracked the encryption key. That's an even more impossible feat.

No developer is going to put their time and effort into an old phone like the RAZR HD.

Kexec would be nice (using Safestrap recovery like on the RAZR and RAZR MAXX XT912 phones), but even that takes time to figure out how to make it work. I doubt people are willing to put much time and effort into this what with all the new phones that have been released since the HD was released.