IMEI Null, have nv_data.bak , not able to overwrite :(

Search This thread

jackdowsan

Apr 15, 2011
New York
So,
I tried the Galaxy S unlock software from the market, and now I am getting null/null as IMEI and I am not able to use it on any network..

Now, I saw in my sd card, there is a file nv_data.bak , that is around 20mb file...now I am trying to overwrite the one that exits in the efs folder, but its not letting me do it, saying I don't have enough space...

I am not even sure if the nv_data.bak is the actual file, I mean its like 20mb..is it supposed to be this big?

Would really appreciate if someone can tell me how to proceed from here...
I am currently on 2.2.1 Froyo.VUVKD1 kernel and 2.6.32.9 firmware.

Thanks

tehgyb

Mar 21, 2011
Easton, PA
So,
I tried the Galaxy S unlock software from the market, and now I am getting null/null as IMEI and I am not able to use it on any network..

Now, I saw in my sd card, there is a file nv_data.bak , that is around 20mb file...now I am trying to overwrite the one that exits in the efs folder, but its not letting me do it, saying I don't have enough space...

I am not even sure if the nv_data.bak is the actual file, I mean its like 20mb..is it supposed to be this big?

Thanks
I've actually had that happen while flashing ROMs before... I crapped myself.
I fixed it by flashing to another ROM then to stock. Not promising a fix, but it worked for me, hell, its worth a shot eh?

Reactions: jackdowsan

jackdowsan

Apr 15, 2011
New York
flashed stock again...still NULL IMEI...I think I should flash one other rom before stock? Can you tell me which one you did?

tehgyb

Mar 21, 2011
Easton, PA
flashed stock again...still NULL IMEI...I think I should flash one other rom before stock? Can you tell me which one you did?

To be honest with you man I haven't the slightest clue. Mine may have fixed itself by random chance, or the reasons behind the problem are different. I just flashed a few times out of frustration and blind hope XD

jackdowsan

Apr 15, 2011
New York
Also, can you tell me what is the size of your original nv_data.bin?
I have a backup on sd card, that is like 20mb...and the one in efs folder is like 2 mb.... strange :(

dagentooboy

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas
do you have an nv_data.bin file in your /efs/ folder? Can you copy and email me the one in your /efs/root/afs/settings/ folder? I think IMEI NULL/NULL is different than the all 0's problem.

Reactions: jackdowsan

jackdowsan

Apr 15, 2011
New York
do you have an nv_data.bin file in your /efs/ folder? Can you copy and email me the one in your /efs/root/afs/settings/ folder? I think IMEI NULL/NULL is different than the all 0's problem.

Thanks a lot for taking your time out to look into this, I have mailed you my nv_data.bin

Let me know how it goes, I am hopeful :)

Thanks
Jack

Fluidification

Feb 26, 2011
Rename nv_data.bak to nv_data.bin

I think you used a bad unlocking program.

Anyway, it created the backup, so rename and push.

But, delete a duplicate from efs if there is one.

also, try adb push, or repartition your phone if nothing works.

jackdowsan

Apr 15, 2011
New York
Rename nv_data.bak to nv_data.bin

I think you used a bad unlocking program.

Anyway, it created the backup, so rename and push.

But, delete a duplicate from efs if there is one.

also, try adb push, or repartition your phone if nothing works.

re-partition would restore everything back? cause I think the backup is not working..

brokencobba

Dec 21, 2010
Try this

I had the same thing happen to me and this is how I solved it.
First check if you have any baseband version in phone settings -> about phone
If not your modem is not starting and this causes the null/null problem because of corrupt nv_data.bin.

1. rename your nv_data.bak to .bin
2. get root explorer and go to the efs/root/afs/settings folder
3. mount r/w if folder is r/o mounted
4. delete nv_data.bin and nv_data.bin.md5
5. copy your nv_data.bin from sdcard to this folder and reboot.

this fixed my screwed IMEI.

To get your unlock code just open the nv_data.bin file in a hex editor and look at adsress 1460 for something like 00 01 00 00 00 the text after this is your network lock code in PLAIN TEXT (if you use HxD free hex editor your code is in the ansi column in the right field) so just enter this to the phone and your phone is now unlocked.

DjGeNeSiS

Jun 29, 2009
oslo
I had the same thing happen to me and this is how I solved it.
First check if you have any baseband version in phone settings -> about phone
If not your modem is not starting and this causes the null/null problem because of corrupt nv_data.bin.

1. rename your nv_data.bak to .bin
2. get root explorer and go to the efs/root/afs/settings folder
3. mount r/w if folder is r/o mounted
4. delete nv_data.bin and nv_data.bin.md5
5. copy your nv_data.bin from sdcard to this folder and reboot.

this fixed my screwed IMEI.

To get your unlock code just open the nv_data.bin file in a hex editor and look at adsress 1460 for something like 00 01 00 00 00 the text after this is your network lock code in PLAIN TEXT (if you use HxD free hex editor your code is in the ansi column in the right field) so just enter this to the phone and your phone is now unlocked.

Does this still work ? ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So,

Thanks
    I've actually had that happen while flashing ROMs before... I crapped myself.
    I fixed it by flashing to another ROM then to stock. Not promising a fix, but it worked for me, hell, its worth a shot eh?
    It should be in efs\root\afs\settings

Would be great if you can look once and tell me...

Herp derp im a tard! XD
    Its 256kb