[RECOVERY] Safestrap Recovery v3.7x [05/15/2014 V3.73 - TWRP 2.7.0.0]

Search This thread

budfarmer420

Jul 20, 2012
Eden
Factory reset

Are you trying to do it in the os? Just do it in SafeStrap instead.

Sent from my Bionic

I was trying to do it from safestrap but was unable to. I rebooted to safestrap and was completely able to mount both /data and /system in order to do the reset. No idea why I had to do it that way but I got it so no worries. lol. I definitely appreciate the help man will be hitting the thanks button.

Reactions: Eiht

RandomPooka

Oct 14, 2010
Kent, OH
OnePlus 8
I was trying to do it from safestrap but was unable to. I rebooted to safestrap and was completely able to mount both /data and /system in order to do the reset. No idea why I had to do it that way but I got it so no worries. lol. I definitely appreciate the help man will be hitting the thanks button.

Just an added bit of info, a factory data reset would be wiping /data and /cache, but not /system

All user specific data is stored in /data. That's why it's there. Device manufacturers create their system partition and flash it to the device at manufacture (more or less), and we're not meant to be able to modify that unless it's via manufacturer OTA. If you wipe /system and try to boot, you're not going to have an OS to boot to.

Because Android functions in the same way whether it's the manufacturer's stock ROM or a custom ROM, you don't wipe /system for a data reset, unless you plan on reflashing a ROM immediately after.

jyazzie110

Jul 21, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
Have been a Samsung guy but I just got a new bionic for free and its basically.....install app, install recovery and then install custom ROM for root?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

Eiht

Feb 19, 2013
Have been a Samsung guy but I just got a new bionic for free and its basically.....install app, install recovery and then install custom ROM for root?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

You have to be rooted first on stock to install safestrap then install roms which will include root. You have a variety of ways to root stock depending on whether you have ICS or JB.

Sent from my Bionic

Last edited:

orpamoc

Sep 17, 2010
Fix Permissions issues

I keep getting a Fix Permissions Failed error after updating to new SafeStrap. Error reads something like "Unable to CHMOD E:....."

im currently at work so i dont remember the exact error message. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue..thanks in advance

Droid Bionic here BTW

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
I keep getting a Fix Permissions Failed error after updating to new SafeStrap. Error reads something like "Unable to CHMOD E:....."

im currently at work so i dont remember the exact error message. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue..thanks in advance

Droid Bionic here BTW

Sir..I do believe you are installing the incorrect version..Please..someone correct me if I'm wrong..You need v3.11 for the Bionic, I have 2) RAZR Maxx's also..they are on v3.11 and during boot, in the device list is also your device..try v3.11

sent by my
RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
12.15.15.obake-maxx_verizon
Android > 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

orpamoc

Sep 17, 2010
Sir..I do believe you are installing the incorrect version..Please..someone correct me if I'm wrong..You need v3.11 for the Bionic, I have 2) RAZR Maxx's also..they are on v3.11 and during boot, in the device list is also your device..try v3.11

sent by my
RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

cool, thank you. will try that when I get home. Thought I had the correct version...but it was 4am So I prolly messed up. Thanks again.

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
cool, thank you. will try that when I get home. Thought I had the correct version...but it was 4am So I prolly messed up. Thanks again.

"prolly" lol..I understand.. v3.11 should do the trick.. :)

sent by my
RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Sir..Friend..don't know if its true or not..but..seems as thow I have read where SS v3.11 download is hard to find..here's a link to my personal copy >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_iS2xBbEYycGlQQk0/edit?usp=docslist_api

Hope this helps..

sent by my
RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

Reactions: orpamoc

orpamoc

Sep 17, 2010
"prolly" lol..I understand.. v3.11 should do the trick.. :)

sent by my
RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Sir..Friend..don't know if its true or not..but..seems as thow I have read where SS v3.11 download is hard to find..here's a link to my personal copy >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B67RS0BDBp_iS2xBbEYycGlQQk0/edit?usp=docslist_api

Hope this helps..

sent by my
RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

This helps a ton. I really appreciate your response. Will report back if the issues persist.

Reactions: NWKENT

Eiht

Feb 19, 2013
I've had great luck with 3.65. I need it for CM11 too though. If you're just getting a fail when trying to fix permissions, it seems like I've had that fail before but it was because I wiped first or something weird. I can't remember exactly but it might not hurt to reboot, let the rom come up, then reboot to ss and fix permissions and see if it works.

Sent from my Bionic

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
I've had great luck with 3.65. I need it for CM11 too though. If you're just getting a fail when trying to fix permissions, it seems like I've had that fail before but it was because I wiped first or something weird. I can't remember exactly but it might not hurt to reboot, let the rom come up, then reboot to ss and fix permissions and see if it works.

Sent from my Bionic

Makes since..I was thinking there is a later version for the Bionic..I have never owned one..I have the RAZR Maxx's..with JB 4.1.2 and with Eclipse ROM..no issues with v3.11 BUT..that is the Maxx..and I'm certainly no Dev..and not the device in question..Thanks

sent by my
RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

csmoore88

May 1, 2011
I am on 3.6 with my bionic running cm 11. Working well. Mostly...other than a lot of user error.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NWKENT

Eiht

Feb 19, 2013
Has anyone had issues making backups? I haven't until tonight. I have 22gb free and I make backups all the time. Tonight when I name the backup and swipe to make it I see Nandroid up top and the command line area starts normally then the screen flips back to home then goes to sleep where it's locked but touching it and swiping opens SS again. The backups are just a folder with the proper name and are empty. Happens to both slots I'm using. SS3.65

Sent from my Bionic

RandomPooka

Oct 14, 2010
Kent, OH
OnePlus 8
Has anyone had issues making backups? I haven't until tonight. I have 22gb free and I make backups all the time. Tonight when I name the backup and swipe to make it I see Nandroid up top and the command line area starts normally then the screen flips back to home then goes to sleep where it's locked but touching it and swiping opens SS again. The backups are just a folder with the proper name and are empty. Happens to both slots I'm using. SS3.65

Sent from my Bionic

If you delete the safestrap settings file, it might help. That always does for me when it errors out on creating the actual .img files.
I want to say they're at /sdcard/.twrps <-- Rename it from within the ROM, then reboot to recovery and try to make a backup.

Eiht

Feb 19, 2013
If you delete the safestrap settings file, it might help. That always does for me when it errors out on creating the actual .img files.
I want to say they're at /sdcard/.twrps <-- Rename it from within the ROM, then reboot to recovery and try to make a backup.

That did it. I don't know how I've used it this long and never run across that yet. Thanks

Sent from my Bionic

RandomPooka

Oct 14, 2010
Kent, OH
OnePlus 8
That did it. I don't know how I've used it this long and never run across that yet. Thanks

Sent from my Bionic

I have absolutely NO idea why it does that sometimes, but it's an easy enough fix. And all you really need to do is reset things like your time zone and other miscellaneous settings you might have changed after you delete the old settings file. I've never had luck deleting the settings file from within safestrap, since it rewrites it. When you delete it from the ROM, it recreates the file the next time you enter the recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SAFESTRAP v3.73 (2nd-System Bootstrap / Recovery)

ATTENTION: I will be stopping official Safestrap support on 9/1/2014. For more information please see:
    https://plus.google.com/111109372727398356624/posts/AtoJ3xLj35b

** INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using my tools. Always have a fastboot available for disaster recovery. **

Download the APK Installer:
    Mirror 1: Goo.im
    Mirror 2: Crackflasher
    FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS: How to Safestrap
    [ DOUBLE-CHECK you have the "Targa" version ]

NOTABLE TWRP-BASE CHANGES:
    • Key/button vibration in recovery and MANY more 2.7.0.0 updates
    • Screen saving in recovery. Can set the timeout under Advanced->Settings->Screen *Don't freak out of the screen is dark, try the power button.
    • SElinux support in recovery (1st boot won't take so long)
    • and much much more.. check the TWRP changelog here: http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2

DEVICE SPECIFIC SAFESTRAP CHANGES:
    • [05/15] (3.73) Bugfix for dual SD card UMS mounting and pull in TWRP changes
    • [04/14] (3.72) Mostly other device updates
    • [01/15] (3.71) Code cleanup
    • [01/15] (3.71) Minor hijack updates
    • [12/18] (3.70) Mount cleanup during hijack / debugging output
    • [12/18] (3.70) Splashscreen: Instant stock boot key (needs to be set for Moto OMAP4's still)
    • [11/13] (3.65) recovery init.rc cleanup
    • [11/13] (3.65) fix updater build for cm 10.1 and 10.2
    • [09/20] (3.60) Better handling for virtual images > 2gb
    • [09/20] (3.60) Much improved block device handling
    • [09/20] (3.60) Bugfix in script translation
    • [09/20] (3.60) hijack / init.rc tweaks
    • [09/20] (3.60) update to TWRP 2.6.3.0 base recovery
    • [09/06] (3.53) Fixed mass_storage in recovery (via Mount menu)
    • [09/06] (3.53) Added Webtop to partition backup list (optional)
    • [09/06] (3.53) New virtual systems created will be 640mb (got reset 600mb)
    • [09/06] (3.53) Fixed file selector when changing from internal to external storage (previously location wouldn't update)
    • [09/05] (3.52) added "Reboot to Recovery" in APK
    • [09/04] (3.51) Disabled screen blank while creating a rom-slot
    • [09/04] (3.51) Fixed openrecovery script processing for stock slot to re-inject hijack after .zip install (cmupdater on stock now works)
    • [08/30] (3.50) If running a new CM10.1/CM10.2 ROM (08/30 or later) you *should* be able to install Safestrap and update the recovery w/o having to go back to stock. If Safestrap shows "recovery not installed" while you're on a ROM-slot, then that ROM hasn't been updated and it won't work. Swap back to stock ROM and update Safestrap from there.
    • [08/30] (3.50) Worked on stock ROM flashing and *should* work with CM10.1/CM10.2 builds on or after 08/30 *WILL NOT WORK WITH OLDER ROMs.*
    • [08/30] (3.50) Battery meter is back
    • [08/30] (3.50) Updated TWRP theme
    • [08/30] (3.50) Added partition sizes to ROM-slot screen when it's ACTIVE
    • [08/30] (3.50) Added "Check FS" function to ROM-slot screen when it's ACTIVE
    • [08/30] (3.50) Complete re-write against TWRP 2.6 base (up from version 2.2.2.1): TWRP changelog for reference
    • [12/29] (3.11) Allow use of custom updater-binary in .zip files for flashing on stock ROM (virtual slots still use prebuilt updater-binary in recovery).
    • [12/29] (3.11) BUGFIX: Fixed fake flash error at the end of a .zip install. (No real error, .zip installs fine)
    • [12/29] (3.10) Early support for booting custom ROMs on stock partitions.
    • [12/29] (3.10) Enable flashing to stock ROM *BE CAREFUL -- NEW FEATURE -- STILL TESTING*
      • After .zip installations, nandroid restore or system wipe on the stock ROM: the current Safestrap files are restored to the system partition (Doesn't include the APK in /data -- so if you're restoring an old backup, be sure to update the Safestrap APK)
      • During the Safestrap files restore a check is done to be sure there are minimal files on /system to re-enter Safestrap
    • [12/29] (3.10) New virtual system partitions will be 640mb (closer match to stock RAZR/D4)
    • [12/27] (3.07) Bugfix: missed some changes in Safestrap 3.06
    • [12/26] (3.06) Bugfix/Update for JB4.1 OTA for DroidRAZR (Non-JB devices can also use)
    • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed SD card / emmc sharing in recovery (UMS)
    • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed recovery installation/removal from ROM-slots
    • [10/14] Updated to v3.04 BETA.
    • [10/14] Recovery is now based off TWRP 2.2.2.1 (fully featured touch-based recovery)
    • [10/14] Can create up to 4 Virtual ROM-slots to flash ROMs to and when "Active" ALL TWRP functions affect that ROM-slot (For example: Flashing .zips, Backup and Restore)
    • [10/14] Nearly instant swapping from ROM to ROM
    • [10/14] User selectable data partition sizes during ROM slot creation: 1GB, 2GB or 3GB
    • [10/14] ROM slots are saved on the internal emmc space so that preinstall and webtop partitions are no longer used and shouldn't break OTAs.
    • [10/14] Charging in recovery
    • [10/14] Supports "Reboot Recovery" from Android OS

Entry to recovery via Splashscreen on boot-up. The screen stays up for around 8-10 seconds and if you hit the menu button, it takes you to Safestrap Recovery.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

• The entire TWRP team who has built an AMAZING recovery system.
    • The testers which have helped in past and present versions of Safestrap, knowing that it could mean they brick their devices.

As always, let me know what you think!

SCREENSHOTS (showing slightly older TWRP base)
    OP updated for Safestrap v3.11:

Download the APK Installer Here for "BIONIC, RAZR/MAXX and DROID 4"
    md5sum: 546060f221487ed35cc2f023c7e5d0f1
    [ DOUBLE-CHECK you have the BIONIC/RAZR/DROID4 VERSION ]

CHANGES:
    • [12/29] (3.11) Allow use of custom updater-binary in .zip files for flashing on stock ROM (virtual slots still use prebuilt updater-binary in recovery).
    • [12/29] (3.11) BUGFIX: Fixed fake flash error at the end of a .zip install. (No real error, .zip installs fine)
    • [12/29] (3.10) Early support for booting custom ROMs on stock partitions.
    • [12/29] (3.10) Enable flashing to stock ROM *BE CAREFUL -- NEW FEATURE -- STILL TESTING*
      • After .zip installations, nandroid restore or system wipe on the stock ROM: the current Safestrap files are restored to the system partition (Doesn't include the APK in /data -- so if you're restoring an old backup, be sure to update the Safestrap APK)
      • During the Safestrap files restore a check is done to be sure there are minimal files on /system to re-enter Safestrap
    • [12/29] (3.10) New virtual system partitions will be 640mb (closer match to stock RAZR/D4)
    • [12/27] (3.07) Bugfix: missed some changes in Safestrap 3.06
    • [12/26] (3.06) Bugfix/Update for JB4.1 OTA for DroidRAZR (Non-JB devices can also use)
    Updated OP for Safestrap v3.72 for Bionic

Enjoy
    New version of Safestrap in the OP.

VERY NEW VERSION OF SAFESTRAP WITH A LOT OF NEW CODE -- IT COULD CONTAIN BUGS WHICH WOULD NEED A FASTBOOT PROCESS TO RECOVER FROM. BE WARNED.

BUG WARNING: Screen will blank out while building a new ROM-slot. Device won't respond to power button till the slot is done building. So be patient.

** INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using my tools. Always have a fastboot available for disaster recovery. **

** I have more features planned, but I really wanted to get this updated release out. **

SAFESTRAP 3.50 for Targa based on TWRP 2.6.1.0

Download the APK Installer
    md5sum: a45be93c2cc3457bd5116d7ed1145b2a

NOTABLE TWRP-BASE CHANGES:
    • Screen saving in recovery. Can set the timeout under Advanced->Settings->Screen *Don't freak out of the screen is dark, try the power button.* Also, when the screen blanks while building a new ROM-slot, you can't wake it up till it's done. I'll fix that in the next version.
    • SElinux support in recovery (1st boot won't take so long)
    • and much much more.. check the TWRP changelog here: http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2

SAFESTRAP CHANGES:
    • [08/30] (3.50) If running a new CM10.1/CM10.2 ROM (08/30 or later) you *should* be able to install Safestrap and update the recovery w/o having to go back to stock. If Safestrap shows "recovery not installed" while you're on a ROM-slot, then that ROM hasn't been updated and it won't work. Swap back to stock ROM and update Safestrap from there.
    • [08/30] (3.50) Worked on stock ROM flashing and *should* work with CM10.1/CM10.2 builds on or after 08/30 *PROBABLY WILL NOT WORK WITH OLDER ROMs.*
    • [08/30] (3.50) Battery meter is back
    • [08/30] (3.50) Updated TWRP theme
    • [08/30] (3.50) Added partition sizes to ROM-slot screen when it's ACTIVE
    • [08/30] (3.50) Added "Check FS" function to ROM-slot screen when it's ACTIVE
    • [08/30] (3.50) Complete re-write against TWRP 2.6 base (up from version 2.2.2.1): TWRP changelog for reference
    UPDATED OP with a Bugfix version of Safestrap 3.51:

Download the APK Installer
    md5sum: fb0effa5ef24951a1f9af699a3be6125

** I have more features planned, but I really wanted to get this updated release out. **

SAFESTRAP CHANGES:
    • [09/04] (3.51) Disabled screen blank while creating a rom-slot
    • [09/04] (3.51) Fixed openrecovery script processing for stock slot to re-inject hijack after .zip install (cmupdater on stock now works)