[BootLoader] [MODEM] Test Odin UVUCNB4

Search This thread

pyrilium

Mar 3, 2012
Success!! (with small caveats!)

First, for the overall method - SUCCESS!!

I started on 4.3 MI7, and I am now running 4.4.2 with baseband reporting ...NB4, build number …NB4, and kernel build date (12 Feb 2014) consistent with KK update - all with knox flag still happily at 0x0. Awesome!

Here are the caveats: I did the Odin part using Heimdall, which flashes each partition individually from separate files; I used files from the stock 4.4.2 release for N900T, and flashed all 5 bootloader .mbn files as well as modem.bin AND NON-HLOS.bin - all to their respective partitions. Heimdall downloads & uses a .pit file, so it knows where things go. I think this suggests updating both bootloader and modem, and that the modem package should have both modem.bin and NON-HLOS.bin inside - though I can't say 100% certainly.

I also used a deodexed, pre-rooted KK ROM to flash from Mobile Odin Pro - it's on the forums here, in the Android Development sub forum for 900T. In theory using the stock FW + ever root as per the German article should work too, but I used this one since I had it and it was already deodexed with knox and CIQ stripped out.

So - happy to report success with the method (should I post a how-to?), but everyone should be aware that I didn't follow it to the letter for my own reasons and so I can't report on the exact protocol discussed here.

Reactions: dragonstalker

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla

I started on 4.3 MI7, and I am now running 4.4.2 with baseband reporting ...NB4, build number …NB4, and kernel build date (12 Feb 2014) consistent with KK update - all with knox flag still happily at 0x0. Awesome!

Here are the caveats: I did the Odin part using Heimdall, which flashes each partition individually from separate files; I used files from the stock 4.4.2 release for N900T, and flashed all 5 bootloader .mbn files as well as modem.bin AND NON-HLOS.bin - all to their respective partitions. Heimdall downloads & uses a .pit file, so it knows where things go. I think this suggests updating both bootloader and modem, and that the modem package should have both modem.bin and NON-HLOS.bin inside - though I can't say 100% certainly.

I also used a deodexed, pre-rooted KK ROM to flash from Mobile Odin Pro - it's on the forums here, in the Android Development sub forum for 900T. In theory using the stock FW + ever root as per the German article should work too, but I used this one since I had it and it was already deodexed with knox and CIQ stripped out.

So - happy to report success with the method (should I post a how-to?), but everyone should be aware that I didn't follow it to the letter for my own reasons and so I can't report on the exact protocol discussed here.

Thanks for the update. I will remake the cp to reflect the modem.bin and non-hlos. hopefully we can figure out how to package all this crap up with a pre-root and give people the ability to up grade without tripping Knox.

diamantericos

Jan 2, 2011
Th3 only way to see if modem makes. A difference is to speedtest on old modem and then on new modem wait at least a day so it settles then speedtest in the exact same area as old modem and compare very simpke

The Demon Galaxy!

pyrilium

Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for the update. I will remake the cp to reflect the modem.bin and non-hlos. hopefully we can figure out how to package all this crap up with a pre-root and give people the ability to up grade without tripping Knox.

Sounds Great!

Af few notes:

* The method I followed was pretty straightforward, and flashing the pre-rooted stock ROM from the forum here + the BL and Modem files did result in a pre-rooted upgrade with Knox at 0x0. I'm not sure whether simply flashing the same ROM components + stock BL and Modem all at once in Odin or Heimdall would have the same effect, though I suspect someone has tried this?

* One issue I noticed was that after re-installing and enabling the Xposed framework (presumably not before), I lost wifi calling. Characteristic symptoms were that with wifi on and wifi calling switch enabled, the wifi calling status was "wifi disabled" or "wifi not connected" even when connected to an AP with a very strong signal and good link. Some trial and error later, it turns out that it seems to be necessary to enable "Keep my custom CSC features" in Wanam Xposed now for wifi calling to work. I did not have to do this under JB, but after doing so in KK and rebooting I got the familiar "Your phone can make calls over wifi!" message and WFC has worked since then.

* I presume most of the credit goes to the modem update here, though I can't be sure, but whatever the cause I seem to be getting much better signal performance and general wireless network performance now than I used to get under JB. One thing in particular, I found sending SMS to be somewhat unreliable under JB, to the point where I enabled receipt reports and re-sent messages somewhat routinely. Since the upgrade, messages have gone through much faster and I don't think I've had to resend yet. I also seem to be able to get wireless (4G even) signal now in a lot of places where I would get none before, or where it would be quite marginal.

* Related, a friend tells me that people at Qualcomm apparently refer to the MSM (our family of SoC/chipset) informally as the "Magical Software Modem" - so it's likely that a whole lot can be done via modem (etc.) updates to change signal performance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED BOOTLOADER POSTED.

********************** THIS IS A TEST FIRST. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT TRY TO ODIN THIS BOOTLOADER IF YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED. BRICKING YOUR PHONE, FLASH FLOODS, AUDITS, AND EX-GIRLFRIENDS KEYING YOUR CAR ARE NOT MY FAULT. YOU TRY TO ODIN BL OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL. **********************************************

ANY WHO,
    Can somebody please flash this via Odin and make sure that it finishes the process. I'm still researching to see if you need a pit to flash the BL by itself.

THanks guys.

DOWNLOAD
    LOAD bootloader.tar.md5 INTO BL ON ODIN
    START

BL_N900TUVUCNB4
    MD5SUM:b9424697d6a75dba43f019825c45a006

CP_N900TUVUCNB4_Modem This CP only contains modem.bin
    MD5SUM:52d72b098819991ab88101757d8e2a8a

CP_N900TUVUCNB4_modem2x This CP contains both modem.bin and Non-Hlos
    MD5SUM:82ec4cdaff1492439673391902439604

Dev-Host
    cp_N900TUVUCNB4_modem.tar.md5 - 53.49 MB
    BTW, I just went through that blog article (translated by google) and it reads like the other "keep root" 0x0 update descriptions I've seen using Mobile Odin Pro and Odin (or in my case, probably Heimdall) - with the exception of the part where you have to repackage the bootloader, of course :). Thanks for going through that process for us!

On the international / 9005 threads, there is a modem update along with the bootloader update; it contains modem.bin and NON-HLOS.bin. Those two files are also present in the 4.4.2 update that I have for the N900T. Think it's a good idea to extend that post's method to make a modem.tar.md5 that's flashable along with the bootloader?

EDIT:
    I can make the modem package, once I'm home and have access to a Windows VM.

Think I might try this method tonight, too; I'll report back here if I do.
    I think the focus is on the wrong thing . Everyone wants the modem not the bootloader. And from past experince with note 2 specifically the modem was made into a flashable zip.

The Demon Galaxy!

no,

some of us need the updated bootloader because the current wave of custom kernels doesnt play nicely with wifi calling and you cant run a KitKat kernel without the KitKat bootloader
    I'm getting stuck at the first part sli.mbn, but i already have the updated bootloader. From what i've been reading, this new bootloader my not let you downgrade as it's locked (or partially locked, not sure)

So somebody on old baseband looking to upgrade to new baseband should try this out.

It's not locked. It's rollback-protected.

Read this whole thread and you will understand why (except in a few unique situations) you cannot downgrade the bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642207

Upgrading the bootloader and stock ROMs is a one-way street for the majority of us.
    Success!! (with small caveats!)