Install .WGT files as alternative to Samsung Apps

Search This thread

CarbonWyre

Feb 16, 2011
Phoenix
Would it be possible for us to install non phone dependent apps (not sure what there is but I'm sure there are some that don't need constant phone connection in order to function) through their WGT files? This would give non Sammy users at lease some usability outside of stock apps. I'm sure it would be quite a task but isn't the first time always one?

CarbonWyre

Feb 16, 2011
Phoenix
I dont have a link to a site to download wgt files. Just away to sideload them if you create them in the SDK. There is a modified clock here on the board, I just dont remember the thread.

I found the thread, it's in a different section (Themes I think). So is there no way to do this with proper Samsung store apps?

BJSerpas

Mar 6, 2013
Why? Nothing impossible

It is important to understand that the Samsung Gear 2, unlike the original Galaxy Gear, does NOT run on Android. While it might look very similar, it runs on a completely different operating system called Tizen.

Tizen is very new, and does not have many notable apps developed for it. You can't simply install Samsung Apps, as those are Android-specific apps, and will not run on Tizen.

So, yes, while nothing is impossible, everyone is going to have to wait until someone flashes Android to the device (very unlikely until quite a while from now), or until Tizen apps begin to be regularly developed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app