M8 rear camera cover scratches

Search This thread

Duce HD2

Apr 2, 2010
UT
So, I've had my m8 for a month and a half maybe, with a spigen slim armor case on it at all times. After cleaning my rear lens cover yesterday ( with a soft microfiber cloth) I noticed many small scratches right above the lens area.. Seriously?? I am super careful with my phone, considering I'm really into mobile photography as well. Is the cover made out of plastic?? Whenever I had whipped it in the past, always used extreme care. I can't believe that it's scratched.. Really bums me out that htc would use such weak materials to cover the camera lens. Other than that, the phone is great, no doubt. I can't imagine what it's going to look like in 6 months though.. Any others noticed the same ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parmend

Apr 11, 2010
Fort Worth
Mine is scratched to hell . my pics look hazy . there has been a lot of people with the same issue and some have been getting there's replaced .

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jfcooley

Jul 15, 2011
Charlottesville Va
After reading some threads like this I ordered a protector to cover both lenses. Wish I could remember the name now, but you get 2 sets for $3 and I've not seen any effect in pictures. God I wish I could remember the name. Would search but late for work.

Edit: Slickwraps.com

Last edited:

parmend

Apr 11, 2010
Fort Worth
I use a tpu case . this is the only smart phone I've had that had this issue and I've owned a lot .

Duce HD2

Apr 2, 2010
UT
After doing some additional research, I found many people having the same issue, that is possibly caused by heating, resulting in the coating not sticking correctly. There is also the assumption that the protective coating was never removed when manufacturing/assembly. I noticed that with slight pressure with just my fingernail on the front camera , same thing happens.. the coating scratches. And btw (for who thinks this is the cause) having the phone in your pocket has zero effect on this issue. I baby my phone , and always have a case on it, and would never put in anything else. Glad there is a simple fix, by removing the coating. However, a good idea would be to purchase a lens protector from slickwrapes just in case.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

ticklemepinks

Feb 26, 2008
After doing some additional research, I found many people having the same issue, that is possibly caused by heating, resulting in the coating not sticking correctly. There is also the assumption that the protective coating was never removed when manufacturing/assembly. I noticed that with slight pressure with just my fingernail on the front camera , same thing happens.. the coating scratches. And btw (for who thinks this is the cause) having the phone in your pocket has zero effect on this issue. I baby my phone , and always have a case on it, and would never put in anything else. Glad there is a simple fix, by removing the coating. However, a good idea would be to purchase a lens protector from slickwrapes just in case.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

they why do i have the issuse, i even keep it in my purse at times

Duce HD2

Apr 2, 2010
UT
I actually was able to remove scratches...I sprayed resurfacing fluid from a CD scratch repair kit then put a dab of toothpaste on my fingertip and rubbed it in for about a min or two....scratches gone and pics are clear

Yup, got mine almost done too.. Need a little extra work around the edge, and it's all clear again. I was really bummed out about this until I found out that there was a solution. I love my M8 once again lol. Looks like the front camera has the same thing as well.

Reactions: parmend

Rydah

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
Looks like it happened to me as well. Lens cleaner and microfiber cloth took care of it for me.

Sent From My HTC One (M8)

O.LPZ81

Sep 23, 2010
Houston
It happened to me too. My camera lens cover got all scratched and pictures were coming out really hazy... I took mine to sprint i told them I think its a camera software issue and they ordered me a new one. I'll be sure to take better care of this new one.

Rydah

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
Southern California
Did it take the scratches off?

Well yes, but idk how they got there. My front camera and duo lens were the ones affected. I always have a case on and never have put my phone in any pockets. Only idea I have is cleaning my phone, in which I clean the lenses but shouldn't "scratch" from that. Just seems like a cheap clear coat that easily removes.

Reactions: parmend

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I actually was able to remove scratches...I sprayed resurfacing fluid from a CD scratch repair kit then put a dab of toothpaste on my fingertip and rubbed it in for about a min or two....scratches gone and pics are clear

Yup, got mine almost done too.. Need a little extra work around the edge, and it's all clear again. I was really bummed out about this until I found out that there was a solution. I love my M8 once again lol. Looks like the front camera has the same thing as well.

Did it take the scratches off?

Well yes, but idk how they got there. My front camera and duo lens were the ones affected. I always have a case on and never have put my phone in any pockets. Only idea I have is cleaning my phone, in which I clean the lenses but shouldn't "scratch" from that. Just seems like a cheap clear coat that easily removes.