How can I buy a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card for my US vacation?

Search This thread

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Hi everyone

I bought my SGS 4G during my last US vacation.

Coming back to visit (10 days on August), I'd like to buy a prepaid SIM card with unlimited 3G/4G with a local line just for this stay.
I saw s SIM card for 50$ in the T-Mobile site.

How can I do that, if I'm not at the states at the moment?
What alternatives do I have?
I searched the web and couldn't find a clear, easy & cheap solution.
It has to work with my lovely SGS 4G.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA

hechoen

May 7, 2011
itzik

Your best bet is most likely gonna be to just get the plan once you arrive in the states. Tmob stores are all over the place so unless your flying into Podunk, Kentucky(no offense to people from the great state of Kentucky) you should be able to find a store within a few miles of the airport. Hope you figure it out and you have a blast in the States.

P06o

Feb 16, 2012
NYC
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just out of curiosity where will you be? Here in NYC t-mobile stores are everywhere & may be in the airport itself.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Hi guys

Last year in NYC 2 different AT&T stores didn't want to sell me a SIM card as I'm a tourist with no social security number. This year my starting point is Miami.

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
I would contact a store close to where you will be staying in Miami. Tell them whats going on and they will probably be more than happy to help you. Also Walmart sells T-mo stuff so they might be able to help you. IIRC you can save a tiny bit buying from walmart.

Another option is use the Straight Talk sim card program. Its five bucks cheaper and the same service. Im not totally sure of the data connection. Im looking into the type of data connection you get. I know Normal straight talk phones have the same coverage as att,verizon and t-mo. Ill update once I can get a straight answer.

Reactions: itzik2sh

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Great, 10x, I'll make some research on the mobile stores around my staying area i.e south beach.

eb13

Mar 26, 2012
Denver
It would be best to wait until you're in the states. You will have no problem getting a prepaid SIM activated from T-Mobile (I am an Event Rep for them). I'm not sure if they offer it in Florida but if you don't really need many minutesthey offer unlimited 4g (throttled after 5gb) & messaging with 100 minutes for $30. I sell a lot of that plan during conventions here in Denver.

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
Talked to a Straight talk rep the byod sims operate 3g service. So if the T-Mo $30 plan doesnt have enough minutes for ya that is a option.

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Hi eb13

That plan sounds like just what I need. Is it limited to a period of time? I found a T-mo store in Miami but it has low ratings.. and probably they won't offer this plan. I'll try contacting them on Monday.
Thanks.

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
Hi eb13

That plan sounds like just what I need. Is it limited to a period of time? I found a T-mo store in Miami but it has low ratings.. and probably they won't offer this plan. I'll try contacting them on Monday.
Thanks.

The t-mo 30 dollar plan is good for 30 days.
This from the t-mo site.
*First 5GB at up to 4G speeds. New activations only. Available exclusively in-store at Walmart, on Walmart.com, and T-Mobile.com.
I would goto walmart and get it. Normally they are slightly cheaper.

tehgyb

Mar 21, 2011
Easton, PA
The t-mo 30 dollar plan is good for 30 days.
This from the t-mo site.

I would goto walmart and get it. Normally they are slightly cheaper.

+1 Walmart and online arethe only points of sale for the $30 plan

Source: used to work cell phones in Walmart, then wireless advocates (staples/Costco) and TMobile

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Hi Again

OK, so regarding the T-mobile 30$ plan I found this on T-mo site :
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans
and this one on Wallmart site :
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30-Wireless-Airtime-Card/15443357?findingMethod=rr#ProductDetail

Few things still unclear to me :
1. If I buy it from T-mo, do I have to do it in advance and ask for delivery to the hotel or can I just instantly go and buy it from a local T-mo store I found 15 minutes walk from the Hotel ?
maybe I should order it online and just go pick it up from that store ?
2. Why do all stores in Miami get lousy reviews with "bad customer service", "no parking" and "no one speaks English there" ?
3. Wallmart centers are not near my staying place, so I could order it and get it shipped to the hotel I suppose, but here it says :
"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com"
WTF ? I bought my phone in some local Manhattan store I don't even remember its name.
4. Even in Wallmart site I see I get the activation code via mail - but how would they know my IMEI number?

Regarding the Straight-Talk plans I found this one :
http://www.straighttalksim.com/shop.php
So what I understand from this is that it will cost me 60$ overall (which is twice the T-mo price).
I don't really need the unlimited talk, but mabe it's worth the price comparing to T-mobile service.

What do you advise ?

Thanks !!!

Last edited:

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
The $30 plan is suppose to be part of the byod(bring your own device) promotion so walmart should be willing to sell you the sim card. I would goto my local walmart and ask but I know each store will do things slightly different.

You also might be able to contact t-mobile and tell them what your wanting to do and ask what they suggest. They might be able to have the item shipped to the hotel in advance of your arrival and you pick it up at the desk when you sign in. What you are getting from them is the sim card it costs like 4 bucks and they refund that to you once you activate.

If you dont need the unlimited calling then I would stick to t-mo. In Miami area the 4g service should be super.

eb13

Mar 26, 2012
Denver
Hi Again

OK, so regarding the T-mobile 30$ plan I found this on T-mo site :
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans
and this one on Wallmart site :
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tmobile-30-Wireless-Airtime-Card/15443357?findingMethod=rr#ProductDetail

Few things still unclear to me :
1. If I buy it from T-mo, do I have to do it in advance and ask for delivery to the hotel or can I just instantly go and buy it from a local T-mo store I found 15 minutes walk from the Hotel ?
maybe I should order it online and just go pick it up from that store ?
2. Why do all stores in Miami get lousy reviews with "bad customer service", "no parking" and "no one speaks English there" ?
3. Wallmart centers are not near my staying place, so I could order it and get it shipped to the hotel I suppose, but here it says :
"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com"
WTF ? I bought my phone in some local Manhattan store I don't even remember its name.
4. Even in Wallmart site I see I get the activation code via mail - but how would they know my IMEI number?

Regarding the Straight-Talk plans I found this one :
http://www.straighttalksim.com/shop.php
So what I understand from this is that it will cost me 60$ overall (which is twice the T-mo price).
I don't really need the unlimited talk, but mabe it's worth the price comparing to T-mobile service.

What do you advise ?

Thanks !!!

1. No you do not need to buy in advance. You can walk into any Tmo store and buy prepaid activation on site. Choose to activate yourself by phone and the $30 option is available to anyone who activate by phone.

2. Because people are jerks :)

3. disregard that, I sell these plans to people on a daily basis at numerous locations and in any phone. I have activated these for customers with unlocked iphones (not proud of that).

4. You provide your IMEI when activating buy it's only to make sure you're not going to use a phone that's been reported stolen from retail. (if a phone is stolen from a retail location the IMEI guess into a database)

I highly advise staying away from Straight Talk - just my opinion but there service on every level is less than respectable.

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm probably taking the 30$ unlimited web plan and Skype pay as you go credit for the long distance. I think it's ideal for a 10 days period.

Dutchman86

Jul 24, 2012
Hi everyone,

Excuse me for bringing back this topic, but I have a similar question regarding this topic. We're visiting California next week as an European tourist. I'm willing to buy the 30 days unlimited web prepaid deal from t mobile, however I saw that it is for 'US residents only'.

Do they check this? Do you have to provide a passport or something?

We only need Internet for 3 weeks so 30 days is sufficient, it's mainly for navigation purpose on my HTC Sensation.

Another question, is the sim a standard one or is it a micro sim?

Hope you can give us the answer! Can't wait for our visit!

Best regards,
Jasper from the Netherlands.

iEmDan

Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, California
Hi everyone,

Excuse me for bringing back this topic, but I have a similar question regarding this topic. We're visiting California next week as an European tourist. I'm willing to buy the 30 days unlimited web prepaid deal from t mobile, however I saw that it is for 'US residents only'.

We only need Internet for 3 weeks so 30 days is sufficient, it's mainly for navigation purpose on my HTC Sensation.

Best regards,

No they do not check it. You do not need to provide a passport. However you may be required to present an ID. It varies. If you plan to get one at a T-Mobile store, you can request a standard one, or microsim. If for some reason you decide to buy it online, it'll come as a standard similar card.

Reactions: Dutchman86

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would contact a store close to where you will be staying in Miami. Tell them whats going on and they will probably be more than happy to help you. Also Walmart sells T-mo stuff so they might be able to help you. IIRC you can save a tiny bit buying from walmart.

Another option is use the Straight Talk sim card program. Its five bucks cheaper and the same service. Im not totally sure of the data connection. Im looking into the type of data connection you get. I know Normal straight talk phones have the same coverage as att,verizon and t-mo. Ill update once I can get a straight answer.
    Hi everyone,

Best regards,

No they do not check it. You do not need to provide a passport. However you may be required to present an ID. It varies. If you plan to get one at a T-Mobile store, you can request a standard one, or microsim. If for some reason you decide to buy it online, it'll come as a standard similar card.