[Q] My HTC One X Camera lens is scratched

Search This thread

aldebsi

Apr 20, 2013
Restore lens cover

My HTC One X Camera lens is scratched. I Want to repair it, but in Vietnam do not Lens help me ???

Hi,

I had the same problem exactly, and i have just joined to give you the solution that I used. My HTC photos are sharp and clear as before now.

The solution is very simple ... all what you need is a clean glasses cleaning cloth, glass cleaner (like windex) and tooth paste !! yes tooth paste!
First clean the cover with the glass cleaner ... keep it wet .. apply a tiny portion of tooth paste on it .. rub it with the cloth ... keep it wet all the time.
Repeat till you get the lens back to its original state ... or at least 90 % :) ... the technique used is similar to the one used in cleaning car head lights .. similar to this video for example:

youtube. com/watch?v=b1_sFEOGTMc

I hope u find it useful.

pshdo

Jun 10, 2010
Holbæk
Hi,

I had the same problem exactly, and i have just joined to give you the solution that I used. My HTC photos are sharp and clear as before now.

The solution is very simple ... all what you need is a clean glasses cleaning cloth, glass cleaner (like windex) and tooth paste !! yes tooth paste!
First clean the cover with the glass cleaner ... keep it wet .. apply a tiny portion of tooth paste on it .. rub it with the cloth ... keep it wet all the time.
Repeat till you get the lens back to its original state ... or at least 90 % :) ... the technique used is similar to the one used in cleaning car head lights .. similar to this video for example:

I hope u find it useful.

The toothpaste trick worked great on my HOX+...:cool::cool:
The lens had milions of tiny scratches from clothes i think, as i allways have it in my pocket...
Now it is all clear and fine again...

Just remember to use some time to do this...
- it is not done in 2 minutes...
I used about 15-20 minutes on this...
And the result is great...

OutlawB

Jun 24, 2013
The toothpaste trick worked great on my HOX+...:cool::cool:
The lens had milions of tiny scratches from clothes i think, as i allways have it in my pocket...
Now it is all clear and fine again...

Just remember to use some time to do this...
- it is not done in 2 minutes...
I used about 15-20 minutes on this...
And the result is great...

Seriously, guys? I tried this and it made everything even worse. I had several scratches on my lens before, now it's all covered in it and photo quality is horrible. Wow, thanks...

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Seriously, guys? I tried this and it made everything even worse. I had several scratches on my lens before, now it's all covered in it and photo quality is horrible. Wow, thanks...

By definition, the only way to truly remove a scratch is to sand/polish the area so its level again, essentially removing material to the level of the depth of the scratch (which is what people are attempting to do with toothpaste). Doing so is introducing more scratches, and therefore has a potential to do much more harm than good.

3FChome

Jul 1, 2013
The toothpaste worked great for me, thank you! I've seen the headlight videos (and plan on doing it someday) but never thought about it for my camera lens. It took me about 2 minutes, but I'm sure it varies greatly depending on depth and number of scratches.

As for worries about potential damage, I think it would definitely depend on the condition of the lens and your situation as well. I didn't have deep scratches, or even what I would really call scratches.. more of a "haze" that looked somewhat like old glass, old mirror, or hairspray buildup on a mirror. It almost looked like something I could scrape off, but attempting to certainly would have cause more damage and I'm sure they really were very tiny scratches. I was also prepared to replace the whole lens/cover/etc if it did not work, because although minor, I just couldn't deal with it- every picture was crummy, indoors or out!!

So if you have deep scratches, it may not work, and if you would rather live with (or have no choice but to live with) the current condition of photos than risk having to replace the whole thing it may not be worth it. I am totally pleased though, I am able to take pictures again!

I attached some before and after pics, didn't really plan to so the only apples-to-apples one I have is the indoor one with directions, and I'm not the greatest photographer but I think the difference is pretty obvious. ALL of my pictures were blurry, no defined edges, especially outdoors where every picture came out like I was looking into the sun.

Obviously, I'm pretty dang happy and can't shut up about it lol, so thanks again!! Perfect, easy, and fast solution! And thanks to the OP for posting the thread in the first place!

Attachments

• IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 1,678
  • IMAG0368.jpg
    IMAG0368.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,838
  • IMAG0362.jpg
    IMAG0362.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 1,664
  • IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 1,477
Reactions: 'busa

kwelitysoul

Apr 7, 2011
dsacri xvi

Hi,

I hope u find it useful.

LIFESAVER!

Michael Sh.

Jul 22, 2013
I got the solution

Finally I got the solution for the problem.

First of all I tried to polish a glass with toothpaste, but scratched it even worse.
It seems Colgate is not fine enough for glass polishing ;)
So I found a replacement part on eBay and purchased it for $4.99
Unfortunately I didn't found replacement instructions, so I tried to disassembly a rear panel. Fortunately I failed, and tried to pick up a rear cap (I attached pictures bellow) and succeeded !!! It was simply glued.
Now I have perfect new glass (I glued a new cap with few drops of Loctite) and I more than happy :victory:

dampast

Sep 4, 2013
Toothpaste worked for me too perfectly!

The toothpaste worked great for me, thank you! I've seen the headlight videos (and plan on doing it someday) but never thought about it for my camera lens. It took me about 2 minutes, but I'm sure it varies greatly depending on depth and number of scratches.

As for worries about potential damage, I think it would definitely depend on the condition of the lens and your situation as well. I didn't have deep scratches, or even what I would really call scratches.. more of a "haze" that looked somewhat like old glass, old mirror, or hairspray buildup on a mirror. It almost looked like something I could scrape off, but attempting to certainly would have cause more damage and I'm sure they really were very tiny scratches. I was also prepared to replace the whole lens/cover/etc if it did not work, because although minor, I just couldn't deal with it- every picture was crummy, indoors or out!!

So if you have deep scratches, it may not work, and if you would rather live with (or have no choice but to live with) the current condition of photos than risk having to replace the whole thing it may not be worth it. I am totally pleased though, I am able to take pictures again!

I attached some before and after pics, didn't really plan to so the only apples-to-apples one I have is the indoor one with directions, and I'm not the greatest photographer but I think the difference is pretty obvious. ALL of my pictures were blurry, no defined edges, especially outdoors where every picture came out like I was looking into the sun.

Obviously, I'm pretty dang happy and can't shut up about it lol, so thanks again!! Perfect, easy, and fast solution! And thanks to the OP for posting the thread in the first place!

I had exactly same problem as pictured in your photos. Applying a little toothpaste (I use Crest lol) on the lens cover and rubbing with a wet cloth (WETTEX) for a few seconds immediately made the lens shine again, and the result on the camera was indeed spectacular!

Many thanks to the original poster for this really inventive tip!

Last edited:

armitage shanks

Nov 1, 2013
Top banana fix! Thank you!

Hi,

I hope u find it useful.

I just did this with my one x plus and the result is brilliant thank you. Have attached some pics for all to see!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 478
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 478

t5k

Dec 17, 2010
HTC U11+
How long did it take you guys to polish it so improvement was visible? 1 minute? 10 minutes?
Also, how much pressure did you apply? And what toothpaste?

Thank you for your answers :)

Luke3113

Jul 27, 2010
Hi,

I hope u find it useful.

Reminded me of rubbing toothpaste on a new dive mask :rolleyes: Maybe...
My lens didn't have any deep or severe scratches, but a tiny "layer" of scratches causing the picture to be blurry.
I felt like an idiot rubbing my lens with toothpaste for nearly 20 minutes.
But it worked like a charm! Thank you very much! :good:

achinto

Dec 14, 2013
Brilliant

Hi,

I hope u find it useful.

Have a HTC One x+. Recently all my pictures I took had this haze on them, making the picture quality worse than a VGA camera. Saw the post, was skeptical after reading a few of the comments, but went ahead. Results were great! In just one round, there was noticeable change in image quality. The haziness was reduced to a minimum. I used 'pepsodent' toothpaste. Not really abrasive but played its role well.

Thanks a ton for the tip! :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Restore lens cover

My HTC One X Camera lens is scratched. I Want to repair it, but in Vietnam do not Lens help me ???

Hi,

I hope u find it useful.

how did you rubbed.
    is it the right procedure :
    wetting the cloth and the glass
    applying toothpaste
    start rubbing or wait for 5min?

I wet the cloth and squeezed it, so it would be just a little bit wet and not dripping soggy.
    After that I put toothpaste on it and immediately started rubbing.
    I think you should not directly wet the glass as this might damage the electronics.

After that you might have toothpaste in the rip between the glass and the case. Just wipe it out of the rip.
    Hi,

I hope u find it useful.
    What a great tip. I managed to restore my phone camera in less than 5 minutes using the method you suggested wetting the glasses cloth with a bit of window cleaner and then adding just a small amount of toothpaste and rubbing in small circles. Thank you so much. I owe you a beer!
    Thanks!!

Hi,

I hope u find it useful.

I did what you said and it worked perfectly! THANKS!!