Can't flash Xposed zip on Nougat: /system could not be mounted

Search This thread

shanehou

Feb 26, 2013
I'm thrilled to know it finally supports Nougat. Thanks rovo89 and all the developers!
Now I have issues installing the zip. I tried to use TWRP to flash the lastest zip (Pixel, 7.1.2, sdk25, arm64), but it kept saying "/system could not be mounted". Here's the log:
https://pastebin.com/89wefwCR

Last edited:

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
pixel xl here. xposed could not be installed from recovery, but could be installed from the xposed installer app. I could also be uninstalled from that app. However, uninstall exposed zip could not be flashed, for the same problem - can't mount system. I'm not comfy messing with xposed until uninstall zip works. That uninstall zip has saved me so many times.

KuroCanvas

Jul 23, 2017
I just figured out the way to install Xposed v88 on a Pixel XL phone.

If you have used Xposed on other diveces before, you probably know that the Xposed framework you are about to install is a .zip package , and you may want to use a 3rd-party recovery (like TWRP) to install it, just like you always did with other android phones.
However, the recovery method does not work with Pixel, at least at this time.
This is caused by Pixel's totally different partition plan, known as "A/B system partition"(which means there are two /system partitions). It seems that TWRP can't perfectly support Pixel's A/B partitions. (But why TWRP can install Super SU flawlessly into a Pixel? Anyone have an idea?)
An alternative way is using Flashfire to install .zip packages, and Flashfire supports Pixel's partitions.

So here's my attempt to install Xposed with Flashfire:
root the Pixel by fastboot boot twrp.img and install SuperSU.
reboot and install Flashfire.
copy xposed-v88-sdk25-arm64.zip to Pixel's internal memory. (xposed-v88 could not be the latest version when you are reading this)
run Flashfire, select the zip package, choose Slot A, check Auto-mount and Mount /system read/write
hit FLASH.
after reboot, install Xposed Installer (apk) and you will see Xposed is ready for use.

note: I reset my Pixel by flashing factory image (fash-all.bat) and I'm not using Magisk.

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
What is the advantage of using flashfire over the method I described above?
my method is:
1) open xposed app
2) hit install

However, if xposed jacks up your phone (not saying that xposed will do that, but I know messing about with it I've had situations with certain modules that wouldn't let me boot into system), you can't flash the "uninstall" zip with flashfire.

That's what's stopping me right now. I know I can always go back to a TWRP nandroid, but sometimes I don't have a zero day backup on hand. I liked the safetynet (pun intended) of always being able to flash uninstall xposed zip from recovery.

If you have used Xposed on other diveces before, you probably know that the Xposed framework you are about to install is a .zip package , and you may want to use a 3rd-party recovery (like TWRP) to install it, just like you always did with other android phones.
This is caused by Pixel's totally different partition plan, known as "A/B system partition"(which means there are two /system partitions). It seems that TWRP can't perfectly support Pixel's A/B partitions. (But why TWRP can install Super SU flawlessly into a Pixel? Anyone have an idea?)
An alternative way is using Flashfire to install .zip packages, and Flashfire supports Pixel's partitions.

copy xposed-v88-sdk25-arm64.zip to Pixel's internal memory. (xposed-v88 could not be the latest version when you are reading this)
run Flashfire, select the zip package, choose Slot A, check Auto-mount and Mount /system read/write
hit FLASH.
after reboot, install Xposed Installer (apk) and you will see Xposed is ready for use.

note: I reset my Pixel by flashing factory image (fash-all.bat) and I'm not using Magisk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

hit FLASH.