Random Crashes Using Note 10.1

Search This thread

vanillanesquik

Jun 22, 2012
I replaced my first Galaxy Note 10.1 with Amazon about a week ago after experiencing random crashes. These crashes cause the display to shut off for about 10 seconds and then the tablet returns to the lock screen. After the crash the app open before the crash is completely killed. Any information that was unsaved is unrecoverable. This happened during class using S-Note and I lost a fairly large document. I felt as if I would no longer be able to trust the tablet for important notes because I never knew when it would crash.

Up until today, I assumed the root injected system or root in general caused this issue but I did not have evidence otherwise. I had not seen a thread about this so I assumed I was the only one. Today I was able to re-produce the crash multiple times on my tablet, and two of my friends with the Note 10.1 as well.

If there is a developer who can possibly investigate this issue I think it could help the community.

The crash can be reproduced by:
Opening Polaris Office > New Document > Sheet 2007 (excel) > Put data in any cell > Cut the entire column > try to paste the data in any other column.

Keep in mind this error has occurred in many other apps such as S-Note, calendar, and using the launcher. This is the only specific function that I have been able to re-produce.

Please let me know if any one else in the community has experienced this issue and what app it has crashed in.

naimmkassim

Jan 6, 2010
Selangor
I try to reproduce it folowing ur step. But, nope..no crash here. Everything is smooth :D for me..

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app

vanillanesquik

Jun 22, 2012
I realized the 3 tablets we did it on were all updated to the OTA system update before it was pulled. If you are not on the update it may not be the same.
I tried it on my brother pre-ota and his did not crash. I'm really wanting to reach out to the community to see if anyone has experienced system crashes similar to this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Oct 16, 2011
Vienna
Opening Polaris Office > New Document > Sheet 2007 (excel) > Put data in any cell > Cut the entire column > try to paste the data in any other column.
Please let me know if any one else in the community has experienced this issue and what app it has crashed in.
I have tested exactly as described with Sheet 2007 and no crash whatever - but I use the stock ROM aka not rooted...

vanillanesquik

Jun 22, 2012
Thanks to everyone who has tried. I will continue to find out what is common between our tablets. My brothers note popped up with a paste window that I had never seen before on my tab.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 17, 2011
I replaced my first Galaxy Note 10.1 with Amazon about a week ago after experiencing random crashes. These crashes cause the display to shut off for about 10 seconds and then the tablet returns to the lock screen. After the crash the app open before the crash is completely killed. Any information that was unsaved is unrecoverable. This happened during class using S-Note and I lost a fairly large document. I felt as if I would no longer be able to trust the tablet for important notes because I never knew when it would crash.

Up until today, I assumed the root injected system or root in general caused this issue but I did not have evidence otherwise. I had not seen a thread about this so I assumed I was the only one. Today I was able to re-produce the crash multiple times on my tablet, and two of my friends with the Note 10.1 as well.

If there is a developer who can possibly investigate this issue I think it could help the community.

Keep in mind this error has occurred in many other apps such as S-Note, calendar, and using the launcher. This is the only specific function that I have been able to re-produce.

Did you ever find any thing out? I just had this happen, While copying a url in chrome while using the s-pen... Stock rom and NOT rooted. Tablet is less then a day old. And the only mod is a screen protector that best buy installed...

Last edited:

Endusr

Jan 9, 2013
Hi not sure if i crashed tab or if i accidently shut the device off. I'm running out of the box android 4.0. It happend whilst using the HBO Nordic app. Not sure exactly what caused it to crash.

and just for the record WOW What a pain in the as to use handwriting to Write this post.

Endusr

Jan 9, 2013
a thought...

Hi not sure if i crashed tab or if i accidently shut the device off. I'm running out of the box android 4.0. It happend whilst using the HBO Nordic app. Not sure exactly what caused it to crash.

and just for the record WOW What a pain in the as to use handwriting to Write this post.

Did you guys install flashplayer manually? maybe this is the issue.

Lacole

Jan 29, 2014
My Samsung note 10.1

[QUOTkeE=vanillanesquik;32068421]I replaced my first Galaxy Note 10.1 with Amazon about a week ago after experiencing random crashes. These crashes cause the display toit becauseshut off for about 10 seconds and then the tablet returns to the lock screen. After the crash the app open before the crash is completely killed. Any information that was unsaved is unrecoverable. This happened during class using S-Note and I lost a fairly large document. I felt as if I would no longer be able to trust the tablet for important notes because I never knew when it would crash.

The crash can bmy rbe reproduced by:

Keep in mind this error has occurred in many other apps such as S-Note, calendar, and usingve the launcher. This is the only specific function that I have been able to re-produce.

Please let me know if any one else in the community has experienced this issue and what app it has crashed in.[/QUOTE]

Hello, I got my Samsung Note 10.1 used, I loved it so much when I first got it that I dont remember if it was having issues, I think an app crashed and I disregarded it because I planned to factory reset assuming it would fix any problems. I didnt root it because honestly I've never been without su, sep of last year was when I got my first smart device, ever, a pantech burst and I had it rooted immmediatly and I wanted to experiance the differance. So my samsung isn't rooted, i checked with root checker, just to make sure, just now. I didn't try to replicate the crash using the following, (so, not sure, but ill try it and if it does I'll post results.) 'Cause random apps are crashing left and right, some crash right after instillation upon opening. Theres no noticable relitivity to the crashes, in the sence that the crashing apps are categorically random and I tried "uninstall, reinstall" ,and "repeated" also having same result . I'll admit I have a bit of an app addiction, so... using blk mart and mobo on wifi, I've sat in market with continous installations and some crashed before they were even opened, (I love utillities and tools which most all were found via researched and haveing good reveiws online before Instillation fyi). I feel almost all have crashed at least once, I've factory resetted my pantech numorous times, due to a hacker exboyfriend, that I've followed strict precautions , hoping to avoid my strainuous reset routine of app and pic transfer because I've had so many password changes and
Hijacked emails, I've done a total of three resets, and apps that worked fine before would crash upon reinstillation (after transfer to pantech and back). Also the keyboreds, I like full and hackers, (for key prefrence, ive only ever hacked my own stuff to get them back, I've never hacked another person, fyi) and even using google's and factory keyboard, they have random, yet sometimes specific gliches, example; trying to type my zip code into assurance wireless portal, it wouldn't type at all, or it would type all sevens, ect., Untill ultimately i just give up (which is greatly out of character for me, I'm very patient and persistant expecially when it involves online applications of importance, it just reminded me, also, my touhes have been quirky. I plan to reset once again in a moment, and I gotta have su, I dont like this unrooted crap, lol, so I'm gonna root it and ill post if it acts the same which I figure baed on past fix attempts, it probably will. Also this was my first stop on my research agenda, so I'll post my findings, btw this was a gift, cant afford a replacement, anyways I love my awesome forward facing speakers and my so freakin useful split screen. Im not giving up, so pls help, all advice, no matter the level of crudness, Im familiar with techman impatience, and Im not a panzy. Thx, later.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

Did you guys install flashplayer manually? maybe this is the issue.

I sure have, what makes u ask, if ya dont mind me askin, why is that a problem? It seems to work fine. Whats ur advice? Info, pls. :confused:

mjtaryan

Sep 11, 2011
Mine, an N8013, has been experiencing similar problems, but with some differences. It randomly crashes as described in the original post but also quits apps, especially gmail, Dolphin browser and Titanium and returns to the Home screen. Attempting to re-open the ssme app or a different app or to wake up the device will cause it to flicker between the last crashed app and the Home screen a couple times before settling down. I don't know if the problems are reproducable. They occur without any pattern of precipitating actions. I, too, need to get this solved. Any help will be appreciated. Oh, yes, my N8013 is rooted.