Do you think Motorola made the G camera look worse then the X's on purpose?

Search This thread

CADude

Nov 29, 2011
Have you guys noticed that nothing has been done about the G camera's excess noise reduction? It smudges a lot of the detail that should be there but isn't.

I have a feeling that the Aptina AR0543 CMOS sensor can take significant more detailed pictures but Motorola saw it and thought: "hmmm this camera is too good and it will make the Moto G too much of a good deal compared to the X" so they added some ridiculous software noise reduction to make pictures look worse and thus make consumers think "hmmm if I want a good camera I should spend the extra money and get the X"

I know some people will think this is unlikely, but there's no good reason why the noise reduction is so high on the Moto G's camera and considering that the Moto G is the saving grace for Motorola while the X hasn't really sold that well, they should just give up and make the Moto G's camera even better by getting rid of the noise reduction and tuning the colors so they keep selling more and more Moto G's.

What do you think?

i_rnb

Dec 9, 2010
Paris, France
yes this is true.. even my good old galaxy apollo's 3.1MP shooter is far better than Moto G's. camera is the worst thing happened to Moto G.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

eastdata

Apr 17, 2011
Yeah, I think they overcompensated with the noise reduction, that should be a post-effect. My beef is with the white balance, it's noticeably blue. They're all software issues and I can't see how that could have been missed. All the hardware is there for a decent picture.

CADude

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, I think they overcompensated with the noise reduction, that should be a post-effect. My beef is with the white balance, it's noticeably blue. They're all software issues and I can't see how that could have been missed. All the hardware is there for a decent picture.
Exactly. I don't see how somebody at Motorola can look at a sample image and thought that is acceptable for production unless they wanted it to be that way. Every Moto G seems to look like a oil painting when zoomed at 100% and they have to know by now but for some reason they haven't even acknowledged it despite this phone being one of the best phones of 2013 and every single publication and user online saying the camera is the single flaw in this phone.

If they never deliver a firmware update, it's got to be intentional. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are just dragging their feet since its not a very profitable device.

Last edited:

jaspreet997

Jul 15, 2013
Exactly. I don't see how somebody at Motorola can look at a sample image and thought that is acceptable for production unless they wanted it to be that way. Every Moto G seem to look like a oil painting when zoomed at 100% and they have to know by now but for some reason they haven't even acknowledged it despite this phone being one of the best phones of 2013 and every single publication and user online saying the camera is the single flaw in this phone.

If they never deliver a firmware update, its got to be intentional. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are just dragging their feet since its not a very profitable device.

Haha conspiracy theory!.... Let's flood them with emails?

Reactions: zack.1988

eastdata

Apr 17, 2011
Exactly. I don't see how somebody at Motorola can look at a sample image and thought that is acceptable for production unless they wanted it to be that way. Every Moto G seem to look like a oil painting when zoomed at 100% and they have to know by now but for some reason they haven't even acknowledged it despite this phone being one of the best phones of 2013 and every single publication and user online saying the camera is the single flaw in this phone.

If they never deliver a firmware update, its got to be intentional. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are just dragging their feet since its not a very profitable device.

I hope that it's an oversight on Moto's part. I mean the sale to Lenova was somewhat hushed and timed just after release--they probably wanted to make sure it had a market presence to allay any misgivings in the acquisition. In that sense they may have pushed for release and not vetted the software as they may otherwise have done. There have been issues with the camera app itself.

x92

Aug 12, 2009
I am suspecting this as well.
The MSM8226 processor is supposed to be 1.4 GHz but in our Moto G it is underclocked to 1.2GHz.
5MP camera is good enough to take 1080p video, but for moto g the maximum is only 720p.
It could be the same for picture quality, they try to distinct their flagship and their budget phone by making Moto G looks worst.

pisherthefisher

Jan 1, 2012
The MSM8226 processor is supposed to be 1.4 GHz but in our Moto G it is underclocked to 1.2GHz.
5MP camera is good enough to take 1080p video, but for moto g the maximum is only 720p.
It could be the same for picture quality, they try to distinct their flagship and their budget phone by making Moto G looks worst.

What's the point of having it clocked to 1.4 when 1.2 is already smooth as butter? It will just waste battery life.

What's the point of having it record 1080p videos when it only has a 720p screen? It will just waste memory.

I think you guys should start thinking about this logically before assuming moto is out to purposely make the moto g terrible. Optimizations of battery life and file size are important, especially on a phone that has a non removable battery and no SD card slot.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CADude

Nov 29, 2011

Actually its 1.6ghz and you can overclock it easily with the Faux Kernel.

I personally think the underclocking was done for battery life though.

x92

Aug 12, 2009
What's the point of having it clocked to 1.4 when 1.2 is already smooth as butter? It will just waste battery life.

What's the point of having it record 1080p videos when it only has a 720p screen? It will just waste memory.

I think you guys should start thinking about this logically before assuming moto is out to purposely make the moto g terrible. Optimizations of battery life and file size are important, especially on a phone that has a non removable battery and no SD card slot.

Where is your evidence that processor clock at 0.2GHz slower will actually save much battery? how many percent?
It might be smooth for now but that doesn't mean it will be smooth after major android update in the future.

Really? do you mean that those phone out there that can take 1080p cannot shoot in 720p? there wasn't any option for that?

I didn't say Motorola try to make Moto G terrible, I'm just saying they try to distinct their flagship and non-flagship.
In fact, I think Moto G is a terrific product for under 200 US dollar but by looking at the capability of Moto G hardware, I wish it could be better.
Back to topic, what do you think Motorola is trying to "save" here by having excess noise reduction for the camera?

CADude

Nov 29, 2011
You're kind of taking us off topic here. Nobody has a problem with the SoC, and few people care about 1080p video since 720p is enough for most people and the screen is 720p anyway.

The image quality is the real problem here. Another issue is the fact that the video camera records at too low a bitrate.

Last edited:

x92

Aug 12, 2009
You're kind of taking us off topic here. Nobody has a problem with the SoC, and few people care about 1080p video since 720p is enough for most people and the screen is 720p anyway.

The image quality is the real problem here. Another issue is the fact that the video camera records at too low a bitrate.

Nope, SoC and 1080p are examples that help bring out my point:
"It could be the same for picture quality, they try to distinct their flagship and their budget phone by making Moto G looks worst."

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Moto G Stylus 5G
Well from what I known and seen Motorola camera have never been good on any of their smart phones that I used. But they get the job done.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hopefully people have already been doing that along with posting on their forum.
    Sensor Flyer

Here the flyer says sensor is capable of Shooting 1080p videos

https://www.aptina.com/assets/downloadDocument.do?id=929
    if the camera and soc support full hd video recording why would motorola not implement it?

So which keen developer here at XDA does pick it up to do something about it................;)