FireTV 2 (sloane) Prerooted Stock Images [5.2.7.6_r1]

Search This thread

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
If you "need" to wipe the box to a fresh state from recovery, make sure you do not reboot until you install the rom/recovery zip or your be left with a bricked device with no system loaded on to it. Also check you have blocked updates once wiping via recovery or amazon settings format because they will be reset back to the basic original settings again or it may update to an unrootable state in the future?

As rbox said version r4 is the latest with all the fixes for me version r1 or r2 with 3.0.3 recovery installed (cant remember which im on?) works great for me so at the moment I have no need to update yet. Do some reading & see which one you want to install? Think r3 or r4 can't access recovery unless you do it via a adb command? On my version you can just select it using a keyboard & swiping right.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sajhid

Sajhid

Feb 14, 2016
Hi Dean, so what you are saying is I can do factory reset from recovery then before rebooting I will need to install the prerooted rom then reboot?
I have 5.0.5 v1 on mine at the minute and I can access recovery fine. Also I'm sure rbox said that the newer preroot rom has updates disabled already.

Thank you for all the help and sorry for too many questions as i don't want to brick my box.

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Hi Dean, so what you are saying is I can do factory reset from recovery then before rebooting I will need to install the prerooted rom then reboot?
I have 5.0.5 v1 on mine at the minute and I can access recovery fine. Also I'm sure rbox said that the newer preroot rom has updates disabled already.

Thank you for all the help and sorry for too many questions as i don't want to brick my box.
Yes mate that's right, it is not recommended to reboot without installing a rom first because no system would be present anymore! You have the steps right & don't forget to make sure that updates are reblocked via adb once again If you do decide to system format. Think I'm on the same firmware as you too & its working great.

Reactions: Sajhid

zeroepoch

Yes mate that's right, it is not recommended to reboot without installing a rom first because no system would be present anymore! You have the steps right & don't forget to make sure that updates are reblocked via adb once again If you do decide to system format. Think I'm on the same firmware as you too & its working great.

I'm really curious why someone would ever format the system partition. I'm not sure what that accomplishes other than being really dangerous for no good reason. It gets overridden each time a prerooted is installed? Maybe I'm missing something?

dk1keith

Jul 26, 2012
I'm really curious why someone would ever format the system partition. I'm not sure what that accomplishes other than being really dangerous for no good reason. It gets overridden each time a prerooted is installed? Maybe I'm missing something?

I did that by mistake on my Fire TV 1 and totally bricked it. Too bad there isn't an Unbrick Image for Fire TV 1, like there is for the Fire TV 2. I just stay away from anything that might format system...lol

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
I don't know @zeroepoch? It maybe because on some custom roms on mobile (cell) phones sometimes the devs say that do a wipe or full wipe before flashing a new rom (with new firmware) , I have heard of this before but maybe they didn't have a script in there rom or installer to do this before flashing? Who knows? I know with the AFTV2 this is not the case after reading in these forums but as you can see some users are still doing or asking about doing this process.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
I don't know @zeroepoch? It maybe because on some custom roms on mobile (cell) phones sometimes the devs say that do a wipe or full wipe before flashing a new rom (with new firmware) , I have heard of this before but maybe they didn't have a script in there rom or installer to do this before flashing? Who knows? I know with the AFTV2 this is not the case after reading in these forums but as you can see some users are still doing or asking about doing this process.

because on phones typically when you "wipe" its similar to a factory data reset so youre essentially installing on a clean system vs. over top a modified system which can cause issues..

the same thing will happen with a phone (brick) if you wipe system without installing one after in recovery.. however, if you still have recovery and a rom on storage you can reflash rom and all is good.

Now if you were to have a locked BL and use FF like me, youd need to odin a full stock tar (Sammy devices) to get it to boot which is essentially similar to the unbrick image here..

fact is, when doing wipes always be sure you know what your wiping before doing so to avoid the trouble.

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
because on phones typically when you "wipe" its similar to a factory data reset so youre essentially installing on a clean system vs. over top a modified system which can cause issues..

the same thing will happen with a phone (brick) if you wipe system without installing one after in recovery.. however, if you still have recovery and a rom on storage you can reflash rom and all is good.

Now if you were to have a locked BL and use FF like me, youd need to odin a full stock tar (Sammy devices) to get it to boot which is essentially similar to the unbrick image here..

fact is, when doing wipes always be sure you know what your wiping before doing so to avoid the trouble.
Well said mate, like I always say before flashing anything on any device.... Read read & read some more before diving in feet first!

Reactions: elliwigy

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Hi @rbox errm when you said "stock recovery will be disabled to prevent stock updates from being flashed" does that mean the stock recovery is disabled & not twrp recovery? in other word if amazon did get an update through (even though my updates have been blocked) they couldnt install them because there recovery wont work on our aftv2's after installing the latest recovery? Thanks & i just rooted my friends unit today without any hitchs & was done super quick too

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Hi @rbox errm when you said "stock recovery will be disabled to prevent stock updates from being flashed" does that mean the stock recovery is disabled & not twrp recovery? in other word if amazon did get an update through (even though my updates have been blocked) they couldnt install them because there recovery wont work on our aftv2's after installing the latest recovery? Thanks & i just rooted my friends unit today without any hitchs & was done super quick too

correct.. it will not go into stock recovery at all..

not sure if this was before or after but i booted into recovery when i did adb command but it looked like it wasnt there and asked me to reboot.. i def didnt have normal recovery options

Reactions: deanr1977

random45

Dec 4, 2010
I flashed this 5.0.5 r4 and then decided to wipe cache.

It then said "formatting cache using make_ext4fs" for a while, so i just rebooted by pulling the plug after 15 min.

Now it just boot loops. When i go into recovery it says "failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)"

EDIT: Nevermind, I was able to fix it by rebooting into recovery and Wiping Cache again. It took a while but completed successfully

Last edited:

ducksoup18

Oct 20, 2009
no root

Posted some comments over at aftvnews about my situation:
aftvnews dot com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv-2/#comment-213870
aftvnews dot com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv-2/#comment-212724

No idea whats going on. Had stock AFTV2 on 5.0.5. have TWRP installed. Once installing @rbox's pre-rooted v4 i connect via adb and pull up a shell. I run 'su' and it just sits there. No supersu popup on my screen or anything. I am really confused as to whats going on. I was under the impression that if i have a custom recovery like TWRP that installing an already pre-rooted rom would be sufficient for root access. Does anyone have any other ideas?

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

On none of the recent 5.0.5 releases - SuperSU can be launched . I'm fine with only ever getting in contact with it through its "grant me permissions" popups for now - but... managing applications root rights after the fact - actually should be considered "the basics".

I have read through this forum enough to know that this is a limitation that suddenly appeared with newer versions of the SuperSU app, but the suggestions on how to handle it are all over the place - so are the version numbers mentioned, and on top of it the .apk itself is nested in a folder structure that is new to me (system apks in folders?) and that I dont particularly want to mess with, not knowing what I am doing.

Please - look into it, if you find the time.

@harlekinrains does this post mean that you're not able to launch supersu on any of the 5.0.5 pre rooted roms? im unable to get any su access even on the older 5.0.4 roms as well as the latest v4 of 5.0.5. No idea whats going on. I feel like a noob not knowing why the heck its not rooted, but followed the aftvnews post verbatim without any su abilities.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Posted some comments over at aftvnews about my situation:
aftvnews dot com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv-2/#comment-213870
aftvnews dot com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv-2/#comment-212724

No idea whats going on. Had stock AFTV2 on 5.0.5. have TWRP installed. Once installing @rbox's pre-rooted v4 i connect via adb and pull up a shell. I run 'su' and it just sits there. No supersu popup on my screen or anything. I am really confused as to whats going on. I was under the impression that if i have a custom recovery like TWRP that installing an already pre-rooted rom would be sufficient for root access. Does anyone have any other ideas?

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

@harlekinrains does this post mean that you're not able to launch supersu on any of the 5.0.5 pre rooted roms? im unable to get any su access even on the older 5.0.4 roms as well as the latest v4 of 5.0.5. No idea whats going on. I feel like a noob not knowing why the heck its not rooted, but followed the aftvnews post verbatim without any su abilities.
Also rootchecker is saying after installing the prerooted rom's that root access is not properly installed on this device. no root on a pre rooted rom. Anyone know whats going on here?

Last edited:

MicrosoftBug

Jun 2, 2006
Miami, FL
Hi @rbox, just wanted to say thanks and great job on these pre-rooted ROMs. I'm currently running your latest 5.0.5 incarnation on both of my AFTV2s and wanted to know what the procedure would be for updating SuperSU to the latest version. Can I simply download the latest zip and flash in TWRP?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Hi @rbox, just wanted to say thanks and great job on these pre-rooted ROMs. I'm currently running your latest 5.0.5 incarnation on both of my AFTV2s and wanted to know what the procedure would be for updating SuperSU to the latest version. Can I simply download the latest zip and flash in TWRP?

Why do you feel the need to update it?

harlekinrains

May 12, 2011
@ducksoup18: As specifically mentioned - you should get a superuser popup asking you if you want to grant it root rights (on your TV screen) - each time an app asks superuser permissions (that is if you havent told superuser to ignore - or to grant it to that app before).

The only question I should have to ask you is - are you sure you are on a shell on the Fire TV - when you are typing su?

If you have problems connecting with adb - try toggling the adb response of the FIre TV off and on again in its settings. Also make sure you dont have Fire Starter using its Home button detection using adb (Firestarter settings). On Android 5.x there is only one active adb connection allowed at all times. Sucks, but thats the way it is.

If that doesnt get you anywhere - no Idea where your problem comes from. I've already used r4 as the first custom rom image flashed on a new Fire TV 2 - so it isnt the package. Make sure you downloaded all of it - I guess..

Last edited:

ducksoup18

Oct 20, 2009
@ducksoup18: As specifically mentioned - you should get a superuser popup asking you if you want to grant it root rights (on your TV screen) - each time an app asks superuser permissions (that is if you havent told superuser to ignore - or to grant it to that app before).

The only question I should have to ask you is - are you sure you are on a shell on the Fire TV - when you are typing su?

If you have problems connecting with adb - try toggling the adb response of the FIre TV off and on again in its settings. Also make sure you dont have Fire Starter using its Home button detection using adb (Firestarter settings). On Android 5.x there is only one active adb connection allowed at all times. Sucks, but thats the way it is.

If that doesnt get you anywhere - no Idea where your problem comes from. I've already used r4 as the first custom rom image flashed on a new Fire TV 2 - so it isnt the package. Make sure you downloaded all of it - I guess..
I had to do a full wipe via TWRP (including data) and then reinstall the latest rooted rom in order for things to work. I think there must have been something messed up originally with some other app that i had installed earlier that messed everything up. Everything is working now. Now i just gotta figure out how to install OpenVPN. I tried the installer but it keeps saying that im not mounted correctly. I can mount r/w via adb but i guess the installer must need to have it be mounted as well. somethings jacked up. Not sure whats going on. Was able to install it via adb but it was a 32 bit one and not 64 bit i guess and adb complained. Any ideas?

harlekinrains

May 12, 2011
No - and also, you are threadjacking at this point.

32bit versions should work on this android box as well. In general, not speaking for openVPN.

Top Liked Posts