28/3/2012[UPDATED][ROOT]Sensation XL permanent root method - V4 ADDED.

Search This thread

shingers5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
*** unlocking bootloader from HTCDEV site is highly recommended for a permanent root solution***
1. enable usb debugging from settings - applications - development
2. plug phone to pc via usb cable - charge only
3. open extracted zip folder and click runme. thats all. (if experience any daemon hanging problems pls install htc sync and plug in phone so drivers are installed. once done delete htc sync and repeat root procedure)
PC will open a cmd screen with prompts that you need to follow. app does rest
4. After root is complete pls visit market and update SU app. once done root will be fully functional and eliminate any future FCs
5. Also as an extra tip you can install SU UPDATE fixer from market to update your binaries to 3.0

ALL DONE
***************** this isnt my work and i take no credit for it. i tried it and the results were good so i am sharing it. period*****************

****please see anzhi thread for clockwork mod and chinese boot.img and rom needed prior to flashing cappy's rcmix3d rom. files needed are posted by me in his rom thread!****

Update:
Software version 1.24.709.2 doesn't seem to be rootable via this method. Please try flashing another ruu from runnymede rom thread then attempt root again

28/3/2012
Added V4 of the Doomlord Exploit as may be why XL was rooted without bootloader being unlocked.

well i relocked my bootloader and flashed ruu 1.05.404 then I used Doolord V4 to root my phone. This was succesful in permanently rooting my phone without unlocking my bootloader. This was not possible with V2 so if anyone wants to root without unlocking bootloader this is now possible using V4 of the Doomlord Exploit attached below. PLEASE NOTE THAT STILL NEED TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER TO FLASH CUSTOM ROMS AND RECOVERY

Attachments

• DooMLoRD_v2_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 77,791
  • DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 27,147
Last edited:

shingers5

Here is proof. Root explorer superuser permissions in SU app on my phone
Sent from my HTC Nexus One using xda premium

i uploaded pic via xda premium app so not sure why not showing
terminal app wont give full access nor does rom manager. temp root seems to unmount sd card which is remount after reboot but then root access is gone. some apps work perfectly with root permissions and others don't. guess thats why it a temp solution so at least some of our apps that need root acess will work. i am sure someone who is a bit smarter that i am will know how to adapt this to a fully working solution even if temporary

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1320953770539.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1320953770539.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 9,280
Last edited:
Reactions: Dcmafia

shingers5

Nice

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

hey cappy the sulution seems to offer some level of control but apps like terminal says access denied but via adb access is granted. someone like you must be able to figure out how these evo3d root files can be amended to work fully on XL. i am also trying the sim unlock method on sensation forum but as root is not as deep as need the mmcblk0p6 files are not being accessed. permission denied

nintendolinky

May 7, 2009
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
how did you do it? apparently the sensation recovery should work with this phone

I just went through the steps and followed each one, they emailed me an unlock_code.bin and i entered fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin and the screen appeared asking if i wanted to unlock the bootloader. Can you point me in the right direction for the recovery please.

shingers5

yea just did it now i am gonna carry on trying to unlock this phone with the instructions from sensation forum as they should work on this phone. flashing temp root again to get root access and see where it gets me lol

actually i will flash the sensation cwm recovery nd see what happens

shingers5

tried flashing the sensation recovery and got remote: image update error so not sure whats wrong, i now have a working superuser though by using the zerg exploit here Zerg Exploit v2

already done that as my post in android dev forum. same thing. the root isnt a fully working option. try run terminal and type su and you get permission denied. aslo that method unmounts your internal sdcard and other apps like rom manager cant see it. have you tried the alpharev recovery image|? try the evo 3d recovery as the devices are quite similar

nintendolinky

May 7, 2009
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
mate mine is actually working after a reboot, and root explorer and other root apps are working, the only one that isn't is titaniumbackup, not sure why but im looking into it. Terminal works and so does "adb shell" "su"

shingers5

mate mine is actually working after a reboot, and root explorer and other root apps are working, the only one that isn't is titaniumbackup, not sure why but im looking into it. Terminal works and so does "adb shell" "su"

yeah it is fully working even after reboot. i just done fix_permission from rom manager and working fine. i had to update my super user app via market first. also updated all binaries to 3.0.3 so all current now. you can take over now and start and post your solutions and i will help if i can. only started this to show it can be done. using the evo3dfiles worked a treat. supposed to be temp root but still rooted after reboot for even better. just gonna try sim unlocker then try evo3d clockwork mod and if that fails i will try revolutionary one

shingers5

Was just about to say ive got it working also, right so now we have root we need custom recovery and woop, full on roms. I have also removed all the bloatware "Soundhound" anyone.

still trying to get unlock................... have you tried evo3d recovery? no chefs in here as yet and i guess not many will have the device so might be a while for custom roms. i am happy with a working root solution for now but i am pretty sure evo3d recovery should do the trick

shingers5

What do you mean by unlock, sim unlock or fastboot unlock, im a bit worried in trying another phones CWM recovery as i dont want to brick or restore my phone to stock,.

sim unlock i meant. there is an unlock solution in the sensation forum but my device is too new so no code for me. none of the recoveries work as tried them all. phone is not bricked but stock recovery must be in a diff partition on this phone as it has no memory card slot. need like a sansung GS2 recovery as it runs off internal sdcard like this device will have too. may need actual custom kernel with recovery built in

visje68

Nov 15, 2009
problems

my phone keeps rebooting into this mode ,i have already removed the battery nothing helps ,can somebody help me ? thx

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** unlocking bootloader from HTCDEV site is highly recommended for a permanent root solution***
    1. enable usb debugging from settings - applications - development
    2. plug phone to pc via usb cable - charge only
    3. open extracted zip folder and click runme. thats all. (if experience any daemon hanging problems pls install htc sync and plug in phone so drivers are installed. once done delete htc sync and repeat root procedure)
    PC will open a cmd screen with prompts that you need to follow. app does rest
    4. After root is complete pls visit market and update SU app. once done root will be fully functional and eliminate any future FCs
    5. Also as an extra tip you can install SU UPDATE fixer from market to update your binaries to 3.0

ALL DONE
    ***************** this isnt my work and i take no credit for it. i tried it and the results were good so i am sharing it. period*****************

****please see anzhi thread for clockwork mod and chinese boot.img and rom needed prior to flashing cappy's rcmix3d rom. files needed are posted by me in his rom thread!****

Update:
    Software version 1.24.709.2 doesn't seem to be rootable via this method. Please try flashing another ruu from runnymede rom thread then attempt root again

28/3/2012
    Added V4 of the Doomlord Exploit as may be why XL was rooted without bootloader being unlocked.

well i relocked my bootloader and flashed ruu 1.05.404 then I used Doolord V4 to root my phone. This was succesful in permanently rooting my phone without unlocking my bootloader. This was not possible with V2 so if anyone wants to root without unlocking bootloader this is now possible using V4 of the Doomlord Exploit attached below. PLEASE NOTE THAT STILL NEED TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER TO FLASH CUSTOM ROMS AND RECOVERY
    Root tool in this post for the newer hboot and official updates

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1625841
    Nice one, if you dont mind, could you go through the process of getting cwm installed please?

As you know i have been having allsorts of problems

Thanks

Sent from my HTC XL

1) Unlock Bootloader

2) Download .zip attached, Extract recovery_for_1.28.img from the .zip

3) Copy recovery_for_1.28.img to the same folder as fastboot.exe

4) Open a command window (Shift & Right Click)

5 In the command window type in "fastboot flash recovery recovery_for_1.28.img" (without quotes)

6) type "Exit" and disconnect phone

:D
    I have been using Paul O'Brien Mod, and i have had no problem with it up until now, may give the other one a go, but not tonight maybe tomorrow, i have had enough of Flashing and relocking for one day. Lol

Thanks

The old one won't work with the new Hboot. Partition layout has been changed :)
    ive just unlocked my bootloader with the HTCDEV site it worked wonderfully, now how do i go about custom recovery and permaroot

6332539917_945994b36e.jpg