CELL STANDBY battery drain solution on stock

Search This thread

mzaidel

Nov 8, 2012
Clearwater
After being frustrated for a couple of weeks and wanting to return my s3 due to overnight cell standby batty drain of around 40-50% (from full charge with no use overnight, I finally called Samsung tech support and they told me to power down, take out the battery and reinsert, and use the original charger ONLY (i was using a old clamshell phone's charger that I found lying around rather than the one that came with the phone. I freakin can't believe it but it solved the issue for me!!! I only lost about 4 percent overnight. I was soooo pissed before, but now I love my s3 again :))

Curious to hear if this works for others who have also been frustrated with this awesome device...

Reactions: munchmadiq

Susido

Nov 15, 2010
Well just restarting my phone works to "fix" the massive battery drain issue (presumably because cell standby is using about 60% of my battery) but it will be back in a few days. While I do sometimes use more than one battery charger,I don't think this is related to using something other than the original charger but that is something I can test. Thanks for that tip.

This is one of the 3 big problems I have with this phone (the others being random loss of service presumably due to LTE network deficiencies and the face proximity sensor acting to disable the screen whenever I try to touch the screen with my finger). Since mine is a replacement phone for another S3 with the exact same issues, I'm assuming there is no real fix for these problems (for a stock phone). Yes, I have learned to hate my phone...

munchmadiq

Nov 9, 2012
I found that letting the battery drain until the phone dies and then charging iy conpletely while off helped my sleep drain significantly. That and un installing apps that have numerous wakelocks such as facebook.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Gibz97

themadproducer

Aug 28, 2009
After being frustrated for a couple of weeks and wanting to return my s3 due to overnight cell standby batty drain of around 40-50% (from full charge with no use overnight, I finally called Samsung tech support and they told me to power down, take out the battery and reinsert, and use the original charger ONLY (i was using a old clamshell phone's charger that I found lying around rather than the one that came with the phone. I freakin can't believe it but it solved the issue for me!!! I only lost about 4 percent overnight. I was soooo pissed before, but now I love my s3 again :))

Curious to hear if this works for others who have also been frustrated with this awesome device...

The Cell Standby Fix posted above me...which I use as well...does not fix a DRAIN...it fixes a false reporting of the drain. Charger has nothing to do with it. That was a fluke or a misrepresentation. ;)

tmagritte

Oct 4, 2010
Do a search for gsiff_daemon. That is most likely the cause of your problem and while I can't say for sure, I suspect the charger advice worked coincidentally due to the problem being fixed temporarily by powering down and restarting.

Sadly, I don't know of Samsung admitting to this issue and it looks like even the jelly bean update does not fix it.

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
I get the cell standby misreporting, not adversely affecting life at all. I did flash the fix and the cell standby consumption is now reported much lower, but I seem to be getting a slightly higher battery drain. sitting idle I generally drop around 2% per hour due to syncing and email push. after flashing the fix I'm up to about 5% per hour. I backed up right before this install so I'll probably revert back...

any idea why this would be?

Reactions: 4info

thatsupnow

Jan 31, 2011
Vernon
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 5
Do a search for gsiff_daemon. That is most likely the cause of your problem and while I can't say for sure, I suspect the charger advice worked coincidentally due to the problem being fixed temporarily by powering down and restarting.

Sadly, I don't know of Samsung admitting to this issue and it looks like even the jelly bean update does not fix it.

do you think that gsiff_daemon can just be deleted?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium

themadproducer

Aug 28, 2009

I get the cell standby misreporting, not adversely affecting life at all. I did flash the fix and the cell standby consumption is now reported much lower, but I seem to be getting a slightly higher battery drain. sitting idle I generally drop around 2% per hour due to syncing and email push. after flashing the fix I'm up to about 5% per hour. I backed up right before this install so I'll probably revert back...

I highly doubt using the Cell Standby reporting fix is causing the 5% drain Russ77. It's a proven fix without reported side effects. I have looked at the code myself. It simply alters a certain math value of 34 to 3.4.....a coding typo! Once again, probably just coincidental timing. But read on....you may have this bug if you run a stock rom...

Here is a full test report on the gsiff_daemon that I performed yesterday with details on how to reproduce it, and how to work around it. Hopefully some smart cookie will look into it and fix the code from the inside!

tmagritte

Oct 4, 2010

Check out the thread linked to by themadproducer (I post up) for more details. But basically, yes, if you have root you can rename the file. I just did this a couple of days ago. I haven't noticed any issues. Maybe GPS lock takes a few seconds longer, but it's hard to say if that's true or just a coincidence.

It does seem the gsiff_daemon issue is triggered by a hot reboot, which sometimes happens spontaneously. I haven't had one since I rename the file, but I don't know if renaming that also affects the spontaneous hot reboots, which are annoying in themselves. But at least it won't cause the phone to eat through battery and turn itself into a mini hotplate...

isameer

Apr 27, 2013
Cell standby is the one which is concerned with network connections.

The solution that would work can be changing the SIM card. Get a new SIM from your operator and throw away the old one.

LiquidT

Check out the thread linked to by themadproducer (I post up) for more details. But basically, yes, if you have root you can rename the file. I just did this a couple of days ago. I haven't noticed any issues. Maybe GPS lock takes a few seconds longer, but it's hard to say if that's true or just a coincidence.

It does seem the gsiff_daemon issue is triggered by a hot reboot, which sometimes happens spontaneously. I haven't had one since I rename the file, but I don't know if renaming that also affects the spontaneous hot reboots, which are annoying in themselves. But at least it won't cause the phone to eat through battery and turn itself into a mini hotplate...

Where is this gsiff_daemom file found? I have a rooted s3 and would like to rename it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I found that letting the battery drain until the phone dies and then charging iy conpletely while off helped my sleep drain significantly. That and un installing apps that have numerous wakelocks such as facebook.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app