[Q] Questions regarding root and MIUI install

Search This thread

iZver

Oct 9, 2011
Hi. I have decided to upgrade my samsung galaxy s2 with miui. Since this is my first time flashing an android device I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, is there a reason why I shouldnt install miui on my phone aside from the void warrancy?
#do I get the warrancy back if I unroot and unflash before I take my device to the service?

Next, i have read that i need to root the device first, before i can install miui. Is that true?
#which kernel should I use for that?
I have heard that siyahkernel Is the best. But on the xda thread it says it isnt compatible with any ICS roms. Will it work with miui 4? Is this thread a root at all? I can only assume it is because it has cpu/gpu oc/uc and ov options...

Also, cfroot Has a big and detailed thread. But this one does not support rom manager. I'd need to use cwm for flashing. Is this a problem?

So with which kernel do I go?

okmijnlp

Oct 15, 2011
No, use a jig too.

Use Cfroot.

What? You don't need rom manager, not sure what you're getting at here.

I'd recommend using a gingerbread version of miui as it's your first time. Gb is stable, ics isn't 100% there yet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Reactions: iZver

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
Good choice going with miui, however I wouldn't use the ics versions at the moment as they are buggy. I would personally recommend wiui latest gingerbread version as it is stable as hell and works with siyah.

Sent from my GT-I9100

iZver

Oct 9, 2011
No, use a jig too.

Use Cfroot.

I'd recommend using a gingerbread version of miui as it's your first time. Gb is stable, ics isn't 100% there yet.

Thanks for the reply. But:

Whats a jih?

MIUI install guide (miuiandroid(dot)com/community/threads/how-to-update-upgrade-miui.15424/) says to use ROM manager. But I suppose cwm does the same thing.

I've read somewhere that the last sgs2 miui version is based on official 4.0.3 samsung files. Shouldn't that mean that there are no bugs aside from the ones which are also found on samsung update channels?

I really mainly want miui because of ics, and chrome browser. I have no interest in voiding my warrancy so I can stay on gingerbread. The better UI simply isn't worth it. So you suggest I wait for official samsung updates? (I do want the better UI...)

Thanks for the reply!
Cheers

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
No, miui ics introduces several bugs of its own despite being based on samsung rom.

Sent from my GT-I9100

okmijnlp

Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for the reply. But:

Whats a jih?

MIUI install guide (miuiandroid(dot)com/community/threads/how-to-update-upgrade-miui.15424/) says to use ROM manager. But I suppose cwm does the same thing.

I've read somewhere that the last sgs2 miui version is based on official 4.0.3 samsung files. Shouldn't that mean that there are no bugs aside from the ones which are also found on samsung update channels?

I really mainly want miui because of ics, and chrome browser. I have no interest in voiding my warrancy so I can stay on gingerbread. The better UI simply isn't worth it. So you suggest I wait for official samsung updates? (I do want the better UI...)

Thanks for the reply!
Cheers

A jig resets your "Custom binary counter", the thing that counts how many times you've flashed a rom/kernel/whatever. Samsung will see its above 0 and may, or may not, said that your warranty is still void.

If you're really that desperate for ics, go for it. Just make a Nandroid backup with CWM incase you don't like it.

No, it's still buggy, but it is still really good & can be used as a daily rom, I would think.

iZver

Oct 9, 2011
A jig resets your "Custom binary counter", the thing that counts how many times you've flashed a rom/kernel/whatever. Samsung will see its above 0 and may, or may not, said that your warranty is still void.

If you're really that desperate for ics, go for it. Just make a Nandroid backup with CWM incase you don't like it.

No, it's still buggy, but it is still really good & can be used as a daily rom, I would think.

I wouldn't say that I am desperate for ics, but I am pretty sure I will install miui at one time anway. I don't like the cartoonish icons of touchwiz. The question I think right now is, whether I install ICS right now, or should I wait for ICS to become availabe on KIES and install miui later. (I suppose they'll fix the remaining bugs than)

Also, does anyone suggest a different rom than miui, which is better for some reason? I like eyecandy, but I do want performace as well.

Thanks for your answers.
Cheers

Edit:
If I do upgrade to ics and miui. All I have to do is root it with cfroot and use cwm to do a nandroid backup, and than use cwm to install miui 2.3.16?

okmijnlp

Oct 15, 2011
I wouldn't say that I am desperate for ics, but I am pretty sure I will install miui at one time anway. I don't like the cartoonish icons of touchwiz. The question I think right now is, whether I install ICS right now, or should I wait for ICS to become availabe on KIES and install miui later. (I suppose they'll fix the remaining bugs than)

Also, does anyone suggest a different rom than miui, which is better for some reason? I like eyecandy, but I do want performace as well.

Thanks for your answers.
Cheers

Edit:
If I do upgrade to ics and miui. All I have to do is root it with cfroot and use cwm to do a nandroid backup, and than use cwm to install miui 2.3.16?

If you're not desperate then flash miui 2.3.9. Best rom I've ever used.

MIUI is already rooted. Just root whatever you're on now, make a Nandroid backup of that, and then flash miui. Btw, once you're on miui you'll never turn back :D

iZver

Oct 9, 2011
If you're not desperate then flash miui 2.3.9. Best rom I've ever used.

MIUI is already rooted. Just root whatever you're on now, make a Nandroid backup of that, and then flash miui. Btw, once you're on miui you'll never turn back :D

Fair enough.

The thread title does however confuse me:
MIUI ROM 2.3.9 Releases [GB] & [ICS ENGLISH FULL]
miuiandroid(dot)com/community/threads/miui-rom-2-3-9-releases-gb-ics-english-full.15662/
So miui 2.3.9 for sgs2 is gb based. If i understand correctly than I have to download from this thread. But isn't installing old versions dumb? Or is 2.3.16 a major jump which introduces new bugs?

Edit:
Okay as far as I understand 2.3.9 is GB and 2.3.16 is ICS. 2.3.9 works very good while 2.3.16 is laggy.

So to get this straight:
I want to install miui 2.3.9-- The steps are:
update to latest version. (i have dukg2 i'll go to kj3)
root with cfroot
backup with nandroid
system wipe, galvik wipe, cache wipe
install miui rom with cwm
???

This is it?

Edit2:
Is there a way to store my defender savegame? :D

Edit3:
I have read that siyah kernel is very fast. How do i install that kernel?

Do I do all the steps liste above, and than when I am done installing miui install siyah kernel?

Turns out siyah has NTFS usb OTG feature. I now really want siyah. :D

Was back on the ROM in my sig within 36 hours;) Tried 4 different GB MIUIs, not one gave me anything my current setup couldn't do better. Each to their own though.
Before i got samsung galaxy s2 I had a nokia 5800 for 3 years. It was like switching from a sedan to formula 1. I am still so impressed by the power of SGS2 that some minor performance improovements aren't important. Not yet at least... :D
Thus I am looking for eyecandy (since i can't get ICS and chrome just yet). Which as I've hear MIUI is best at.

Besides, there's no link in your sig. Otherwise i'd love to take a look at that rom. What does miui lack at btw?

Last edited:

Mr.Greg

Sep 19, 2010
What do you suggest than?
Look in xda sgs2 forum is 20 normals rom and 2 miui, you can change what kernel you want, what theme you want, coz almost all is compatible each others. For miui you need special kernel, special theme, etc. Don`t wasting you time using miui

B3311

Feb 16, 2011
Gelderd End, 1974
Fair enough.

Besides, there's no link in your sig. Otherwise i'd love to take a look at that rom. What does miui lack at btw?

Big banner that says "SlimROM by krinyo75"... not visible on xda's app. Skinny, fast, monochrome - the way I like it (yes, I tried BAT)

What does miui lack:

- installed adfree, still got many ads.
- sammy's stock browser is so much better than MIUI's
- camera is nowhere near good enough
- flaky GPS
- laggy music player (tried it first on my SGS waybackwhen, still no better)
- limited kernel choice
- all phone numbers hyphenated after 3 digits
- don't want workarounds for an app drawer - I want an app drawer, period

Sure some of these sound petty, but horses for courses... since MIUI v4 will be based on Samsung's framework and kernel sources are now released, I'll try it again when it's done.

One thing I love about MIUI - only non-3rd party contacts app I've seen with a list view - no photos, no stupid icon next to contact name.

okmijnlp

Oct 15, 2011
Big banner that says "SlimROM by krinyo75"... not visible on xda's app. Skinny, fast, monochrome - the way I like it (yes, I tried BAT)

What does miui lack:

- installed adfree, still got many ads.
- sammy's stock browser is so much better than MIUI's
- camera is nowhere near good enough
- flaky GPS
- laggy music player (tried it first on my SGS waybackwhen, still no better)
- limited kernel choice
- all phone numbers hyphenated after 3 digits
- don't want workarounds for an app drawer - I want an app drawer, period

Sure some of these sound petty, but horses for courses... since MIUI v4 will be based on Samsung's framework and kernel sources are now released, I'll try it again when it's done.

One thing I love about MIUI - only non-3rd party contacts app I've seen with a list view - no photos, no stupid icon next to contact name.

I don't have any of these problems. But regarding AdFree, it really is quite bad, use adaway, it's a lot better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No, use a jig too.

Use Cfroot.