[ISSUE] TouchPad Android Wifi Issue Thread

Search This thread

drdoombot

Nov 19, 2011
I recently installed CM9 for the first time (upgrading from AOKP r37) and found that wifi didn't work, despite NEVER having a problem with it before.

After much digging, I found that flashing the following drivers in CWM fixed wifi for me:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2a69j2dh53a2sts

(It's a slightly newer version of the drivers in the post above this one)

Hope this helps someone else out there.

savage24x

Jul 5, 2011
I don't understand why some people have problems and some don't. I've never had a problem...

Sent from my R800x using xda app-developers app

tidoubleger

Apr 18, 2012
Is there any other way to get wifi fixed? I flashed the 5/20 drivers posted a few posts above this to no avail as I can't seem to get it connected to my phone's wifi hotspot. Coming from a fresh install of 8/15 CM9 nightly with no additional things flashed.

VerminX

Dec 20, 2011
Is your phone running jelly bean by any chance? I couldn't tether to an original jb vanilla ROM. Congrats to Google managing to **** it up coming from working tether in ICS

Reactions: tidoubleger

zim2dive

Feb 15, 2007
NC
I had trouble today for the 1st time... with AOKP M6.. tried the Wifi fix as well.. no dice...

CM7, CM9, and Oats, all had no issues.

Not looking for a fix... just posting in case anyone else lands in the same boat.

samdroid959

Nov 4, 2011
City of Angels
Is there any other way to get wifi fixed? I flashed the 5/20 drivers posted a few posts above this to no avail as I can't seem to get it connected to my phone's wifi hotspot. Coming from a fresh install of 8/15 CM9 nightly with no additional things flashed.

I have the same issue. Coming from a fresh install from the latest cm9. My home network is fine but if I use my Clear hot spot or the my phones WiFi hotspot it either hangs or doesn't connect. The same when I boot into webOS. Its crazy cause this just started happening like 4 builds ago. And went back to an old nandroid and no dice. Tried all the WiFi drivers no dice. Thinking bout reflashing with ACME2 Installer to the alpha builds to see if it changes

Edit: So I decided to try the FXR wifi fix app again from the playstore and my wifi issue seems to be solved on nightly 20120903. Kinda weird that I had tried this with nightlies before to no avail. Anyways gonna run with this for a few days with a nandroid and flash the latest nightly. If I don't report back then it's all good!! Hope this helps. #CHEERS :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

cdzo72

I have the same issue. Coming from a fresh install from the latest cm9. My home network is fine but if I use my Clear hot spot or the my phones WiFi hotspot it either hangs or doesn't connect. The same when I boot into webOS. Its crazy cause this just started happening like 4 builds ago. And went back to an old nandroid and no dice. Tried all the WiFi drivers no dice. Thinking bout reflashing with ACME2 Installer to the alpha builds to see if it changes

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That would be going backwards... Most stable wifi drivers are integrated into last builds so maybe use acme to flash clean last 0903 nightly and start over

Sent from my CM9 TouchPad using TapaTalk 2

Joltrast

Apr 26, 2011
ath6kl driver crashes on boot

I've carefully read all 27 pages of this thread and apart from seliger I haven't come across anyone who has a problem similar to mine.
The TP used to work fine. I switched to airplane mode several months back and that's when the problems started. I now have a Touchpad that will not connect. The driver actually crashes during bootup and the wifi button is greyed out (you can slide the button to "on" but then it flicks back to "off" after a couple of minutes.)

I've tried:
Deleting the wifi profile
Browsing in WebOS and then switching back to cyanogenmod
Changing my router channel
Recycling the router
Deleting the android partition and starting again from scratch
Updated the ath6kl driver with the one jsullins uploaded in July

Backups that I have on the sd partition that used to work, now don't.
I've tried lots of cyanogenmod roms, CM7, CM9, CM10, alphas and nightlies (ones that I know used to work).

dmsg:
ath6kl: temporary war to avoid sdio crc error
ath6kl: firmware crashed
ath6kl: crash dump:

logcat:
E/WifiHW (239): Supplicant not running, cannot connect
E/WifiStateMachine(239): Failed to setup control channel, restart supplicant
E/WifiStateMachine(239): Failed to reload STA firmware java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error communicating to native daemon
W/CommandListener(155): Failed to retrieve HW addr for wlan0 (No such device)
D/CommandListener(155): Setting iface cfg
D/NetworkManagementService(239): rsp <213 00:00:00:00:00:00 0.0.0.0 0 [down]>
D/NetworkManagementService(239): flags <[down]>
E/WifiStateMachine(239): Unable to change interface settings: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to communicate with native daemon to interface setcfg - com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnectorException: Cmd {interface setcfg wlan0 0.0.0.0 0 [down]} failed with code 400 : {Failed to set address (No such device)}
I/wpa_supplicant(2313): rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
E/wpa_supplicant(2313): Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
E/wpa_supplicant(2313): nl80211: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
E/wpa_supplicant(2313): wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

dmsg and logcat detailed in the posts below
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2458470
https://code.google.com/p/cmtouchpad/issues/detail?id=695&sort=-id%20type

Wifi still works fine in WebOS (never had a problem).

masterosok

Sep 9, 2011
My wifi turns itself off during sleep and even though it says its connect I am able to access the web or connect to the play store. I have made sure that the option to stay connect while sleeping is on. I just did a completed wipe and loaded Invisiblek's 11/21/2013 nightly 10.2 build. It works find in WebOS and has worked find under other ROMs. Just curious if anyone has a workaround/fix for this issue. From what I have read wifi should be working fine with this ROM.

EDIT: I loaded the Evervolv AOSP 4.3.1 ROM and experience the same issues.

Last edited:

Ryanmt

Apr 9, 2004
I've carefully read all 27 pages of this thread and apart from seliger I haven't come across anyone who has a problem similar to mine.
The TP used to work fine. I switched to airplane mode several months back and that's when the problems started. I now have a Touchpad that will not connect. The driver actually crashes during bootup and the wifi button is greyed out (you can slide the button to "on" but then it flicks back to "off" after a couple of minutes.)

I've tried:
Deleting the wifi profile
Browsing in WebOS and then switching back to cyanogenmod
Changing my router channel
Recycling the router
Deleting the android partition and starting again from scratch
Updated the ath6kl driver with the one jsullins uploaded in July

Backups that I have on the sd partition that used to work, now don't.
I've tried lots of cyanogenmod roms, CM7, CM9, CM10, alphas and nightlies (ones that I know used to work).

dmsg:
ath6kl: temporary war to avoid sdio crc error
ath6kl: firmware crashed
ath6kl: crash dump:

logcat:
E/WifiHW (239): Supplicant not running, cannot connect
E/WifiStateMachine(239): Failed to setup control channel, restart supplicant
E/WifiStateMachine(239): Failed to reload STA firmware java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error communicating to native daemon
W/CommandListener(155): Failed to retrieve HW addr for wlan0 (No such device)
D/CommandListener(155): Setting iface cfg
D/NetworkManagementService(239): rsp <213 00:00:00:00:00:00 0.0.0.0 0 [down]>
D/NetworkManagementService(239): flags <[down]>
E/WifiStateMachine(239): Unable to change interface settings: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to communicate with native daemon to interface setcfg - com.android.server.NativeDaemonConnectorException: Cmd {interface setcfg wlan0 0.0.0.0 0 [down]} failed with code 400 : {Failed to set address (No such device)}
I/wpa_supplicant(2313): rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
E/wpa_supplicant(2313): Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
E/wpa_supplicant(2313): nl80211: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
E/wpa_supplicant(2313): wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

dmsg and logcat detailed in the posts below
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2458470
https://code.google.com/p/cmtouchpad/issues/detail?id=695&sort=-id%20type

Wifi still works fine in WebOS (never had a problem).

I have the exact same issue, wifi still works fine in webos but the drivers acting up on any android build.

In the debug log connected to the PC i get-

12-08 10:48:09.719 400-1530/system_process E/WifiStateMachine﹕ Failed to load driver!
12-08 10:48:09.769 400-455/system_process E/WifiStateMachine﹕ DriverFailedState

theVenerable

Dec 21, 2013
I have the final CWM in my hp touchpad

My wifi is terrible.

it works about 10% of the time.

any drivers or something i can do to improve?

thanks

adriankeith

Mar 10, 2008
I just recently started having a problem on CM9 (don't have any other information anymore as I tried updating with jc's latest CM11) and thought updating to CM11 would fix things. Well, same problem, unfortunately. Any fixes on this? Any time I try to connect to a wireless network it looks as though it might and ends up saying "disabled" under the network name.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is intended to be a gathering point for all wifi issues on Android Touchpad ROMs.

Having a separate specific issue thread for this will serve several purposes.

• Avoid wifi issues getting lost in the more general Touchpad ROM threads.
    • Allow issues common to wifi operation on all the different ROMs to be concentrated in one thread.
    • Reduce annoyance to those who are currently enjoying good wifi operation and who see repetition in the issues being aired.
    • Make it easier to report tests and experience on different set ups and as new drivers / ROM integrations appear.
    • Make it easier for users with questions to see if it has been asked before.

Background
    Wifi operation on Android Touchpads currently is a hit and miss affair. Some users report flawless operation regardless of access point. Others can get stable operation with careful set up and / or choice of access point but problematic operation on access points over which they have no control. Others still fail to get conditions right for any form of stable operation.
    This is in comparison with WebOS based operation where the problems seem to be much fewer. Probably most of the explanation for this difference is the current lack of suitable drivers integrated into the ROM environment. Hopefully this will be fixed at some point and there are some encouraging signs already that improvements are possible.

Factors affecting operation
    There are several factors which could potentially affect the wifi performance with Android Touchpads including the type of Access point, the set up of the Access point, the local signal strength and interference conditions, variations in Touchpad hardware build, and how the ROM software has been installed and set up. A key factor on top of all these is the wifi drivers used and how they are integrated.

General advice
    Until the fundamental performance is improved the end user of the Touchpad can do some things to help get better performance particularly if they have control over the Access point. Typically this will be in the home situation. Possibilities for adjusting setting for work or public access points tend to be small or non-existent.

Note that not all suggestions work for everybody affected so you have to be prepared to experiment a little to see what may work for you.

The primary suggestions I offer that worked for me in my home situation is to lower the channel setting on the router to Channel 1 even though for me that was worse from a local interference point of view. Other suggestions include avoiding dual band operation and experimenting with security settings (like using WPA instead of WPA2).

Posting
    Please post to this thread if
    • You want to ask Android Touchpad wifi specific questions including problems you are encountering
    • You can answer Android Touchpad wifi specific questions posted here
    • You have reports on specific problems that may help resolve wifi issues
    • You have suggestions on how to improve operation in the short term with existing drivers
    • You have reports on new driver operation either better or worse.

Please also include the ROM and version used in any specific reports. Although wifi issues have been present on 2.3( e.g CM7) and 4.0 (ICS) the focus for development is now firmly on ICS and that is where improvements are likely to be made.

It is unhelpful at this stage just to post here that you do not have any wifi problems unless you have some specific advice on how that can be generally applied. We already know there are many who enjoy good wifi performance.

Currently I am using CherryKANG 0.2a which does have some experimental new drivers in and for me gives much better performance.
    That was only a preparation for a new driver which yet still has to come. New driver ath6kl, old driver (and still in use) ar6000.
    So no fix yet for wifi :(

these are the drivers that fixed wifi for me on nightlie version from yesterday:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37682542/update-ath6kl-v3.0-for-20120509-signed.zip
    Until today I could not connect to my home network without forgetting it and reconnecting, and my uni's network has been almost completely unusuable (on CM9, whereas webOS has been great).

Attempts to manually change locale/region in various ways have all failed.

adding "ap_scan=2" to data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf fixed the problem with my home router. Hoping it will work at uni as well.

If you have wifi trouble, if nothing else can help, and if you're bored, maybe you can set ap_scan mode to 2. This mode seems to be appreciated by some of the more frustrating/crappy drivers out there. If it works, let us know! Maybe try ap_scan=1! Good luck :)
    Clearing /data/misc/wifi and rebooting makes my touchpad connect to the router without any hesitation, I guess it is similar to forgetting and rebooting(but haven't tried that)

ROM: 0.2a Kang