4.4.2 update has been out for a while, what are everyone's thoughts

Search This thread

josetheman38

Jul 3, 2014
KK has sucked for me, except..

KK has sucked for me! My battery life went to hell and my Bluetooth is garbage. The only thing that came out good for me is that I was able to unlock the bootloader, thanks to the developers. I did a factory reset, but my problems still persist. Oh well.

Dreamweavn

Oct 29, 2011
DuPont
Don't like it ...

I don't like KK for one really big reason ...I really enjoy using FoxFi allowing me to enable my Wifi hotspot since I have unlimited data. Now I can't. I would love to roll my phone back to 4.3 or earlier. Anyone know how to do that. Unfortunately I had to replace my original phone when the KK update bricked my phone and it was not rooted.

lloydsw

Feb 19, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
I don't like KK for one really big reason ...I really enjoy using FoxFi allowing me to enable my Wifi hotspot since I have unlimited data. Now I can't. I would love to roll my phone back to 4.3 or earlier. Anyone know how to do that. Unfortunately I had to replace my original phone when the KK update bricked my phone and it was not rooted.

Somewhere in these forums related to the phone, there are instructions for fixing the entitlement hack for the stock MHS. I too am on unlimited data and the stock MHS has worked like a charm with the fix.

sspartan

Jan 12, 2014

Artnig

Mar 5, 2014
Merely updated to the OTA just so I could flash the latest custom roms, running KK Kernel.

GBerg2119

Jul 20, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
My battery life has been absolutely horrific since the update. Right now I'm at 41% and I've only been off the charger for 6 hours 25 minutes. I have barely used the phone all day. Bootloader is locked so I guess there's nothing I can do about it.

iBolski

My battery life has been absolutely horrific since the update. Right now I'm at 41% and I've only been off the charger for 6 hours 25 minutes. I have barely used the phone all day. Bootloader is locked so I guess there's nothing I can do about it.

Have you not read? You can unlock your bootloader with the KK update. This has been known for over a month now.

Go unlock your phone here -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/46155-rootunlock-442-182183-razr-hdm-only/

Better do it now before the next soak comes out which patches Towelroot and bootloader unlocking.

Do it now. If you don't, then don't come crying to the rest of us. This is your chance to do it now. Once unlocked, then you can go back to JB if you so desire.

Reactions: LifeAsADroid

Artnig

Mar 5, 2014
Since I've been on KK for a while now through a custom ROM, I only updated OTA for the new KK bootloader. Never really been a huge fan of the moto's blur, though it isn't that bad. At least now with the new bootloader I can continue getting updates for latest custom KK roms :laugh:

I think KitKat is great and I'm glad we finally got official support. Just want to get the most out of this device until the next killer phone comes out :p

Last edited:

larsdennert

Dec 5, 2007
I really hate that you can't use BT and Wifi at the same time. I wonder when the patch for the BlueZ / Android stack will get released!!?

Almighty2

Oct 11, 2012
I updated from JB 4.1.2 to KK using the DROID RAZR HD Utility v1.41, ran it twice just in case and I noticed the following problems with both 182.46.10 and 183.46.10:

The mobile connection still drops periodically even if it was in a 5 bar strong signal area in San Francisco downtown. On Thursday, when I was heading to the Verizon Wireless store in downtown San Francisco, the non-NFC SIM that came with the phone in 10/2012 was on 4G 5 bars in the entire area. I needed to get a NFC SIM because of ISIS so they gave me a new NFC SIM and the phone started 3G with 4 bars from the store all the way until I got home before it finally switched to 4G and it seems like the NFC SIM still has periodic disconnects as the signal bars are there but the 4G LTE symbol just disappears whenever it happens when it is 3-5 bars. Not sure if the SIMs are like how it was in the 3G GSM days when newer SIMS usually have a newer software or database on it as I remember some people with T-Mobile SIMs would say PacBell instead of T-Mobile until they went into the store to switch the SIM, it might even be the PRL for all I know.

The other problem I am having other than this is the battery charges at a extremely slow speed on the 1.1Amp charger as it basically charges at 1% per hour with the phone on but extremely fast with the phone off.

I also have the popping noises every 30 seconds that has nothing to do with locking the screen or touching sounds as those sounds are turned off.

Both the slow battery charging issue and the popping noises are fixed with the boot image that fixes the popping noises.

One other thing I noticed is that if I had multiple launchers installed without having a default launcher defined, Kitkat will not load the startup items if I had it on the PIN lock screen automatically. If I took out the lockscreen or kept the lockscreen and define the Kitkat launcher as the home launcher default, it will load the startup items fine. Not sure if this is a bug with Kitkat or not or is this by design.

Last edited:

Trebuchette

Aug 19, 2011
I put off updating to KK until I dropped my phone and the back cover sort of popped off on the bottom (Asurion sent me a replacement with Sept OTA on it, which encouraged me to FIX my "broken" phone and send the replacement back). This phone's got some duct tape on the bottom, but it works on both old JB and new KK). —Since I had to use a nandroid anyway, I opted to try the KK update instead of JB, just to see.

Thanks to xda, I got almost everything to work fine, but honestly, my data is just slow AF. On JB, I'm still getting 4G almost all the time; but on KK, it's usually 3G, and only sometimes 4G. WTF?!

I'd thought I read a thread here this past summer with a fix, but anyway, is there something I should try to flash to get better data speeds on KK? I've put a lot of time and three-finger-salutes into this KK (stock xposed) vs JB thing, and KK has a lot going for it, but that data speed loss is heartbreaking, even with the better batt life. I'd like to try one last thing (flashing something) to get my data speeds up to par. Ideas? TIA!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Now that the KK update is out and installed on all RAZR HDs except for those that are pokey, I thought I'd see what everyone's opinions are.

Try to be a little more informative than "it's good", "I like it", or "it sucks", "I want a different phone". I figured this would be a good place to post up new tricks you've discovered, maybe weren't aware of before actually installing the new OS, and maybe help others discover and maximize the capabilities of the phone now.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD RELATED TO "WHEN IS THE NEW ROOT METHOD COMING"!!!! There are enough threads getting spammed with that nonsense.

I'll go first I guess:

- Liking the extra RAM that has been freed up with the update. About 30-40 additional MB, which in my case with everything I am running every little bit helps!
    - Liking that I am now able to take advantage of the KK Xposed modules.
    - Thankful that @iBolski pointed me to the new way to hack the wireless hotspot.
    - I was toying with the Daydream option in settings, but couldn't get it to work correctly I don't think.
    - Definitely enjoying having a 2-yr old phone that is software relevant again. Having unlimited data on VeeZeeDub I like being able to put off outright buying a phone again like I did this one.
    - Liking the fact that lockscreen widgets can be posted on the lockscreen, and that a simple swype down from the clock (while using pattern lock method) moves the pattern lock to the bottom and allows the ability to view the widgets without unlocking the phone. Also like that camera is one of the widgets - much easier to get to in a pinch!
    - Liking the fact that with Gravity Box [KK] I can use the frosted lockscreen image setting. Have been wanting that for a while.
    - Also liking that when music is playing on the phone, the lockscreen image is changed to a picture of the album cover art (not sure if this is a mod I set up in XBlast Tools or in Gravity Box [KK] or something that is standard on the KK OS, but liking it regardless)

...more to come I'm sure!
    I apologize if that was taken wrong. Wasn't trying to be an ass. I understand the situation clearly considering given that I did have to use an "old unlock" tool like everyone else. Was more commenting on the irony on how we got lucky twice and celebrating (if you couldn't tell with my laugh). I'm also thankful and one of the recipients of your awesome guide to getting unlock again.

In any case, you guys are all right and everyone should be unlock before updating and reap the benefits of freedom.

it was defiantly ironic, and i apologize if i came off harsh.
    i dedicate a lot more time to helping people on various forums than most people would.

when someone mocks my advice, i tend to get a bit of an attitude.
    i saw that you were joking, but it is different coming from someone with 6 post vs 1000+.

when you mock me (even in joking), you mock everyone who provides help to this forum who stands behind my position.
    including but not limited to @SamuriHL @iBolski @RikRong @djrbliss and the countless other helpers and developers providing support to this device.
    @djrbliss is the security expert who found this exploit, and stated, that it would never happen again.
    so when someone way!! smarter than me, gives advice, i tend to listen.

please just be considerate in the future, of how you would feel in my position.
    if you feel like an ass, dont make me feel like one.

thanks again!
    is it possible to have google now on this device?
    i mean that thing that u say "ok google now" and the phones wakes up and talks to you?
    or it is not possible since the hardware is not compatible?

The latest motorola phone can do that because they have a dedicated , very low power processor for it , if we did this on our phone , it would ruin the battery life.
    the closest you ca, achieve , is with nova launcher, you can program it to respond to "ok google" when you are on the main screen.
    is it possible to have google now on this device?
    i mean that thing that u say "ok google now" and the phones wakes up and talks to you?
    or it is not possible since the hardware is not compatible?

Google Now is already on the phone. Now, if you want it to launch from the launcher, then at this point, no. The Google Now Launcher is not available for this phone (yet).

However, as another poster stated, you can get the latest Nova Launcher and it has the ability to respond to "Ok Google" from the desktop.

Have you not read? You can unlock your bootloader with the KK update. This has been known for over a month now.

Go unlock your phone here -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/46155-rootunlock-442-182183-razr-hdm-only/

Better do it now before the next soak comes out which patches Towelroot and bootloader unlocking.

Do it now. If you don't, then don't come crying to the rest of us. This is your chance to do it now. Once unlocked, then you can go back to JB if you so desire.