RDF Discussion Thread for Sprint Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P)

Search This thread

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Can't point to anything specific but it's confirmed? LOL.. If you have more important things why comment here spreading rumors?

Ugh, here's a link :rolleyes:

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/10/09...on-android-6-0-marshmallow-for-these-devices/

For the record, that link mentions GS5 on Verizon and not just the international version as previous road map leaks. And since sammobile is a reputable source, these aren't quite the rumors you think they are.

I guess I need to clarify. You said that there is no confirmation regarding 6.0 for the GS5 on sprint. So I said that there is nothing specific for sprint, but that Samsung has confirmed 6.0 for the GS5. Makes sense? Kind of thought that was clear. To your second question, I come here to stay up to date on what's happening regarding my phone, look for solutions to possible issues that may arise, and occasionally comment on some of the ridiculousness that I see here. But perhaps most importantly (because it directly relates to your reading comprehension skills), what I said was " I have more important things to do than worry about which version of software my phone is running." As in I don't care whether my phone has 5.0, 5.1, or 6.0. I just care that I have a working device, which I do, and have no complaints. But that in no way precludes me from making a comment on this forum regarding people who come here to whine about when their next update is coming.

Last edited:

PaterickB

Jul 15, 2010
Ugh, here's a link :rolleyes:

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/10/09...on-android-6-0-marshmallow-for-these-devices/

For the record, that link mentions GS5 on Verizon and not just the international version as previous road map leaks. And since sammobile is a reputable source, these aren't quite the rumors you think they are.

I guess I need to clarify. You said that there is no confirmation regarding 6.0 for the GS5 on sprint. So I said that there is nothing specific for sprint, but that Samsung has confirmed 6.0 for the GS5. Makes sense? Kind of thought that was clear. To your second question, I come here to stay up to date on what's happening regarding my phone, look for solutions to possible issues that may arise, and occasionally comment on some of the ridiculousness that I see here. But perhaps most importantly (because it directly relates to your reading comprehension skills), what I said was " I have more important things to do than worry about which version of software my phone is running." As in I don't care whether my phone has 5.0, 5.1, or 6.0. I just care that I have a working device, which I do, and have no complaints. But that in no way precludes me from making a comment on this forum regarding people who come here to whine about when their next update is coming.

This is a thread to talk about updates to the phone, so questions about 5.0, 5.1, 6.0 are relevant. Ugh, maybe it is your reading comprehension needs work? If you have more important things to worry about, why chime in here?

To get this thread back on topic, has anyone gotten the new update yet?

sputnik767

Dec 28, 2010
Can't point to anything specific but it's confirmed? LOL.. If you have more important things why comment here spreading rumors?

This is a thread to talk about updates to the phone, so questions about 5.0, 5.1, 6.0 are relevant. Ugh, maybe it is your reading comprehension needs work? If you have more important things to worry about, why chime in here?

To get this thread back on topic, has anyone gotten the new update yet?

Interestingly, this thread remained on topic until your reply that I quoted for posterity above.

Again, and it bothers me that I have to repeat this a second time, but this seems to be the trend with you, so here goes:

What I said was "I have more important things to do than worry about which version of software my phone is running." As in I don't care whether my phone has 5.0, 5.1, or 6.0. I just care that I have a working device, which I do, and have no complaints. But that in no way precludes me from making a comment on this forum regarding people who come here to whine about when their next update is coming.

So I hope that clarifies as to why I decided to chime in, not that it needed clarification and certainly not twice. I agree that this thread has been derailed enough. If you're still unclear as to why I decided to comment here, feel free to read my old posts. Or you can ask it a third time so I can laugh at you.

Last edited:

PaterickB

Jul 15, 2010
I still couldn't care less about 5.0 vs 5.1. I have more important things to do than worry about which version of software my phone is running.

And yet, we now have multiple pages of people wondering if/when we're getting 5.1. 6.0 Has been confirmed for the GS5, which actually does add useful things, who cares about 5.1 at this point?

Wow, its nice that you have your opinion, but not everyone shares it. If this bothers you so much that you want to attack people for posting I can't stop you and will just ignore anything else you have to say from here on out.

Just got the update. It is 358.99 MB. Still 5.0. Shows security patch (2015-11-01) level like Marshmallow does. Spinning spark is gone.

Reactions: tdunham

Cooljb

Aug 1, 2012
Memphis, TN
Wow, its nice that you have your opinion, but not everyone shares it. If this bothers you so much that you want to attack people for posting I can't stop you and will just ignore anything else you have to say from here on out.

Just got the update. It is 358.99 MB. Still 5.0. Shows security patch (2015-11-01) level like Marshmallow does. Spinning spark is gone.

I just got it too, and at 358 MB it's obviously not a trivial update. I figured they would get rid of the spinning Spark icon, first because it was really annoying, and secondly because Spark has become "LTE Plus" now. I don't like that the signal strength icon doesn't have a data activity indicator though. Some up/down arrows or something similar would have been nice, but it just shows the signal strength bars with LTE above them. Nothing to indicate data activity. The signal strength icon is the only UI difference I've noticed.

edlee

Jun 25, 2008
I just got it too, and at 358 MB it's obviously not a trivial update. I figured they would get rid of the spinning Spark icon, first because it was really annoying, and secondly because Spark has become "LTE Plus" now. I don't like that the signal strength icon doesn't have a data activity indicator though. Some up/down arrows or something similar would have been nice, but it just shows the signal strength bars with LTE above them. Nothing to indicate data activity. The signal strength icon is the only UI difference I've noticed.

Aosp android removed data activity a long time back, maybe kitkat, because they claim its a major waste of battery life to keep showing activity.

So I guess samsung and sprint followed suit.

I copied this from phandroid post
"the removal of the little in/out data traffic arrows from the RSSI) was mostly a performance consideration, believe it or not. The way the data bits are bubbled up and drawn was not only causing a ton of extra rendering work, but actually forcing a layout (!) in the status bar as well. We could have more aggressively cached the bitmaps (rather than creating new BitmapDrawables from resource IDs every time, which was causing the relayout) but that would still have left all the drawing—multiple times per second in some cases—sucking away precious CPU and GPU from your game or Launcher animations or whatever. In the end it seemed like a lot of work (and battery) for what was effectively visual noise, so this too was booted to Quick Settings where it would be available for us nerds."

Last edited:

Cooljb

Aug 1, 2012
Memphis, TN
Aosp android removed data activity a long time back, maybe kitkat, because they claim its a major waste of battery life to keep showing activity.

So I guess samsung and sprint followed suit.

I copied this from phandroid post
"the removal of the little in/out data traffic arrows from the RSSI) was mostly a performance consideration, believe it or not. The way the data bits are bubbled up and drawn was not only causing a ton of extra rendering work, but actually forcing a layout (!) in the status bar as well. We could have more aggressively cached the bitmaps (rather than creating new BitmapDrawables from resource IDs every time, which was causing the relayout) but that would still have left all the drawing—multiple times per second in some cases—sucking away precious CPU and GPU from your game or Launcher animations or whatever. In the end it seemed like a lot of work (and battery) for what was effectively visual noise, so this too was booted to Quick Settings where it would be available for us nerds."

Very interesting. Good to know.

PaterickB

Jul 15, 2010
Just saw that 6.0 is rolling out in Korea. Hopefully Sprint won't be too far behind. I guess Sprint isn't updating the PRLs anymore?

Waltg888

Nov 7, 2015
Galaxy S5 with Marshmallow 6.0.1

I received the Marshmallow 6.0.1 update OTA from Sprint about 2AM on April 4th. I'm experiencing freeze ups and error messages "TouchWiz Home" has stopped responding, apps freezing and data is slower. I performed a soft reset that didn't help. I need to contact Sprint Tech. By the way, the Hotspot activation process for the S5 in another thread no longer works. Access to the APN Type is granted for viewing only. I can no longer add "dun" which really sucks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-05-00-18-05.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-05-00-18-05.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_2016-04-05-00-17-28.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-05-00-17-28.png
    114 KB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot_2016-04-05-00-12-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-05-00-12-00.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_2016-04-05-00-17-01.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-05-00-17-01.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 172

chippinganimal

Nov 22, 2015
Boston
I received the Marshmallow 6.0.1 update OTA from Sprint about 2AM on April 4th. I'm experiencing freeze ups and error messages "TouchWiz Home" has stopped responding, apps freezing and data is slower. I performed a soft reset that didn't help. I need to contact Sprint Tech. By the way, the Hotspot activation process for the S5 in another thread no longer works. Access to the APN Type is granted for viewing only. I can no longer add "dun" which really sucks.
By soft reset do you mean factory reset? becuase that is usually reccomended after doing an OTA update if you experience problems. Also, if it does end up being stable, would you mind flashing twrp and making a system backup or "dump" so we can flash it on our own phones? Thats what the people on the International Galaxy s5 varient forum did (i think it was the g900f model) and they made roms out of it and everything.

Waltg888

Nov 7, 2015
I performed a soft reset and then a factory reset which helped, but I'm still having issues. As for the flashing and rom back ups that you're requesting, I'm a novice as it relates to the inner workings of the Android. I shared a couple of screen shots, but I can't help you with the other requests. Sorry!

Sent from my SM-G900P using World Tech News, powered by appyet.com

Waltg888

Nov 7, 2015
Sept 6, 2016 - Just received 50 to 60MB update from Sprint. Version G900PVPU3CPH3. Not clear on what's changed in this update.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts