HTC Sync 3.0 & Windows 7 - no device connected

Search This thread

maximx86

Feb 24, 2008
I know that other people are having similar problems with Android phones, but I just got a Wildfire today and it doesn't get detected.

I have Windows 7 x86, HTC Sync 3.0.5422. I am running HTC Sync as administrator with disabled AV and Firewall. I am using the back USB ports. I don't see any other options in HTCSync than Help and About. HTC is appearing in Devices and Printers normally.

It also comes in Device Manager under

- Disk Drives as HTC Android Phone USB Devices
- portable Devices as D:\ (next free letter drive)

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

thearif

Feb 27, 2008
When you first connect your phone to the computer, make sure that you enabled "usb debugging". Once this is done, you should not have any more problems.
To activate usb debugging, just go settings -> applications > usb debugging.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

fishb00n

Mar 16, 2009
I had the same problem on x64. Couldn't get it to work till I was so frustrated about it and gave up. I think there is a problem with the usb drivers.

Insinr8

Feb 15, 2007
Enabling USB debugging allows me to connect. But as soon as it looks like syncing, the wildfire comes up with "prepairing SD card" and it disconnects :mad:

Very frustraiting

Skye Menjou

Jul 16, 2009
I had the same problem on x64. Couldn't get it to work till I was so frustrated about it and gave up. I think there is a problem with the usb drivers.

Works fine for me on 7 x64.
I did install the drivers from the SD card earlier though for development.

Zeusie

Oct 2, 2006
Glasgow
I had similar problems - which all disappeared when I used a different usb port. The one's at the front of my PC just didn't work. Ones at the back worked fine.

fishb00n

Mar 16, 2009
Works fine for me on 7 x64.
I did install the drivers from the SD card earlier though for development.

I know it should work. but I can't find out what exactly is causing this behavior - and that sickens me :) Cause usually I get everything to work =]

I did uninstall everything that had to do with HTC. Sync App, Drivers, everything. Rebooted and tried from scratch.

I saw that Windows Update automatically downloads drivers for the Wildfire as soon as it detects it on USB. I had no chance to abort that so that I could install the Stock HTC drivers that came on the SD Card.

As soon as Windows said the device should be ready to use, I installed Sync again and tested if sync was working. Didn't work. Then I installed HTC drivers from SD Card. Tried if it works. Nothing. Rebooted. Tried Again. Nothing. USB Debugging on. Nothing. USB Debugging off. Nothing ... I don't know any further :)

Skye do you have installed the HBOOT driver from unrevoked along with the HTC drivers? Could it be possible that they both interfere somehow? Or is this not possible at all.

Skye Menjou

Jul 16, 2009
I don't use the HBOOT drivers since I don't have my device rooted.I can see that it could have an effect.
I'll check the device name, hardware id and driver version for the ADB tomorrow and we shall compare it with yours.

rolks

Aug 5, 2010
Haapsalu
i had same problem, turned out it is firewall blocking (least for me), disabled security suite and all works fine. i had f-secure internet security

robotperson

Nov 15, 2006
Plug in using rear USBs

Well, plugging in using the rear USBs worked for me. Slightly inconvenient. Maybe they're trying to sell more docks...

new2android1

Jun 19, 2011
Change USB "Charge Only" to USB "HTC Sync"

I have a super simple solution to try that worked for me.

When getting the HTC Sync "no device connected" error message, you must change the phone's USB setting from "charge only" to "HTC Sync", if it's not already done.

I noticed that my "notifications panel" at the top of the screen said "Charge Only" next to a USB symbol.

To make this change on the T-Mobile MyTouch 3g Slide, I opened the notifications panel (with your finger, pull down the bar at the top of the screen). Then, I clicked on USB "Charge only" bullet and changed it to "HTC Sync". Voila, the next time I plugged in my phone, HTC Sync recognized it, the phone app of HTC Sync found the HTC Sync on my computer, and gave me options for syncing.

I didn't need to uninstall or reinstall HTC Sync, move drivers, use msconfig to prevent programs from starting up, etc. :)

Reactions: SPreston2001

SPreston2001

Oct 31, 2009
Columbus

When getting the HTC Sync "no device connected" error message, you must change the phone's USB setting from "charge only" to "HTC Sync", if it's not already done.

I noticed that my "notifications panel" at the top of the screen said "Charge Only" next to a USB symbol.

To make this change on the T-Mobile MyTouch 3g Slide, I opened the notifications panel (with your finger, pull down the bar at the top of the screen). Then, I clicked on USB "Charge only" bullet and changed it to "HTC Sync". Voila, the next time I plugged in my phone, HTC Sync recognized it, the phone app of HTC Sync found the HTC Sync on my computer, and gave me options for syncing.

I didn't need to uninstall or reinstall HTC Sync, move drivers, use msconfig to prevent programs from starting up, etc. :)

Thanks alot!!! This just saved me so much trouble!!!

kevin1061

Mar 6, 2008
Sync screen minimized - shows device connected, but can't open Sync screen

When you first connect your phone to the computer, make sure that you enabled "usb debugging". Once this is done, you should not have any more problems.
To activate usb debugging, just go settings -> applications > usb debugging.

Hope this helps.

I have the HTC Merge from U.S. Cellular. I had used HTC Sync without too many problems when I was on XP until the last update. That always connected but would not sync, giving me an error every time [1000 general error]. The fix was to re-install the version before, and don't upgrade even when you get a notice that an upgrade is available.
As soon as I moved to Windows 7, and used the same process, Sync on my PC would flash on, then show disconnected, and then minimize. The icon in the system tray showed a connection, and my phone shows a connection. But there is no way that I have found to get the main window open on the PC, and set the options for what I want to sync!
HTC has been no help at all.

Has anyone found a way to view the Sync software screen on the PC after moving to Windows 7... or 8?

Crossing my fingers - hoping there's a solution!

kevin1061

Mar 6, 2008
Try these: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37437438
and
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2126036

If these don't work then ill go through my history and find the exact ones, let me know if they worked :)

Joe,
I gave these a try, and I still have the same issue. HTC Sync loads for a second, then flashes "No device connected" and disappears. The icon in the system tray shows a connection, and I can tell the phone to sync, but after checking my calendar for a test appointment that I changed, nothing changed on the phone. Since HTC Sync won't open, I can't adjust the settings to make sure it is set up correctly.
Very frustrating! Wish they would update their software!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Change USB "Charge Only" to USB "HTC Sync"