G1 FONTS! Post them here!!!!

Search This thread

zero7starz

Oct 1, 2010
I don't mean to bring back old topics, but I wanted to post a thank you to the OP for posting this. I have been looking for this everywhere! (BTW guys, you can instal the font to your computer too if you want it in your regular font library- not just for your phone.) Thanks again!

-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-

Jun 6, 2006
\dev\null -yu
www.mariotomic.com
Although plenty of folks simply load a single font file renamed as both DroidSans and DroidSans-Bold, I noticed that doing so basically disables the bold functionality on the phone, so I prefer loading both the regular and bold versions so that text will format appropriately, especially where the contrast is intended for emphasis.

Thanks ei8htohms for these...I wanted to make myself a logo with Android logo fonts but couldn't find them...but now I can do that :)

One thing I didn't like though. Both fonts are marked as Regular and they're in conflict when imported into Mac OS X. One has to be shut down. Could you mark the bold one as bold?

As you can see here at the screenshot, the bold one is also reporting to the system as the Regular.

xpzi1i.png

squishyman31

Mar 2, 2011
I have a droid incredible and i wanted to hace this font on my phone i find it really cool. i downloaed the filed to my phone but im not sure how to install it. i need some help.

ei8htohms

Feb 8, 2009
NYC
Google Pixel 7 Pro
(hopefully) fixed

One thing I didn't like though. Both fonts are marked as Regular and they're in conflict when imported into Mac OS X. One has to be shut down. Could you mark the bold one as bold?

As you can see here at the screenshot, the bold one is also reporting to the system as the Regular.

I believe this is fixed in the latest version I uploaded. Check it out and let me know if it still doesn't work.

I have a droid incredible and i wanted to hace this font on my phone i find it really cool. i downloaed the filed to my phone but im not sure how to install it. i need some help.

There are a lot of tutorials around on how to change the font on a rooted Android phone with ADB or terminal, but you could also try this:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/type-fresh-change-fonts-on-your-rooted-android-device/

Last edited:

-V-O-Y-A-G-E-R-

Jun 6, 2006
\dev\null -yu
www.mariotomic.com
Now I imported both fonts (previously I imp only Bold) and noticed that the regular is labeled as Plain, and Bold as regular, which could solve the issue, but also fonts have two different names, bold/regular one is called Droid and the plain one is called DroidLogo.
Could they share the same name please? :)

ei8htohms

Feb 8, 2009
NYC
Google Pixel 7 Pro
PM sent

Now I imported both fonts (previously I imp only Bold) and noticed that the regular is labeled as Plain, and Bold as regular, which could solve the issue, but also fonts have two different names, bold/regular one is called Droid and the plain one is called DroidLogo.
Could they share the same name please? :)

Not sure how I did that last time (changed the names), but I took another shot at it (uploaded with the same file name as previous attempts) and sent you a PM. Let's take this off forum to spare others the tedium.

RJOent

Jun 13, 2011
Chino Hills, Ca
www.iamrjo.com
hello all,

i've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and enjoyment from reading these forums, so it gives me great pleasure to be able to "give something back" to the community and i hope some folks can use and enjoy it.

I became a little obsessed with getting my hands on the android logo font (the one on the animated splash screen) and, although it looked briefly like some version of it was going to be available when lukster on android community posted something about it some time back, nothing ever came of it that i was able to find, so i finally decided to make my own.

I used the .png pics from that thread as a general guideline for how the capital letters should look and then just took some creative liberties with the lower case letters and numbers. I tried it first using fontstruct (a very fun online way to make fonts if you've never made one before) but the results were not so hot, so i finally taught myself just enough fontforge to get some results i can live with. This is my first font ever, so please be kind, but please do offer any advice or criticism you might have for how it can be improved!

droidlogo-sample.jpg

i built this right on top of the original droidsans.ttf files so that i could be sure that all the characters commonly (and uncommonly) used by the phone would be supported. Then i had to copy all the characters into a brand new font file to strip off all of the no-longer accurate copyright/trademark information from ascender and google and i suspect that the overall presentation of the font may have been compromised in the transfer process due my near complete ignorance of all the various instructions and constraints, etc. That are variously embedded into a proper/professional font file. I will continue to go back and try to tweak some of these properties over time and will uploaded the latest versions, but what i have now seems to be working and is reasonably attractive and tolerably legible. All of the capital and lower case letters as well as the numerals are of my own creation (although obviously heavily inspired by the android logo and the font lukster posted previously).

Both truetypefont (ttf) files are attached as a zip file simply for the sake of uploading it to the forum, so you'll want to unzip them first. Then you can adb or fastboot them to your phone after renaming them to droidsans.ttf and droidsans-bold.ttf or you can copy them to your sd card and load them from terminal, recovery terminal or with a gscript as discussed in the font threads available on xda.

Although plenty of folks simply load a single font file renamed as both droidsans and droidsans-bold, i noticed that doing so basically disables the bold functionality on the phone, so i prefer loading both the regular and bold versions so that text will format appropriately, especially where the contrast is intended for emphasis. Thanks to the advice of anddep and the template and signing/set-up advice from stericson i've also uploaded an update.zip of the fonts. Just rename it to update.zip in the root of your sd and alt-s it from recovery mode and it'll replace the font files for you.

It is not by any means the most legible font you'll ever find, so the chances of folks leaving it on their phones for any period of time seems pretty slim, but it might be useful for some wallpapers, program ui screens, splash screens, etc. Feel free to use this font for any non-commercial uses you see fit, understanding what it is and what it is not; just mention that you got it from ei8htohms when you do so.

_john

[edit 5-24-09: This version is much improved with regards to regularity of character height, etc.]

[edit 6-13-09: Corrected some missing glyphs that created formatting anomalies in app drawer, etc.]

[edit 3-12-11: Added a version with (hopefully) correctly marked regular and bold versions for use on mac or other pcs. Let me know if it doesn't work!]

thanks for this!

flame.hel

Feb 9, 2012
DroidLogo commercial use

Feel free to use this font for any NON-commercial uses you see fit, understanding what it is and what it is not; just mention that you got it from ei8htohms when you do so.

Hi ei8htohms,

Your DroidLogo font is awesome, I was just wondering if you would consider releasing it for commercial use under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license, or a similar licence that allows commercial use?

I am interested in using some of the lower-case letters from your font in a logo I am creating for an online cross-platform mobile-app builder.

Also, if you will allow commercial use, would a single attribution on the main web site be acceptable attribution to cover all related use? It's just that attribution would be very difficult on things like banners, buttons & in some printed material where the logo could be used.

Thanks,

Flame

ei8htohms

Feb 8, 2009
NYC
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi ei8htohms,

Your DroidLogo font is awesome, I was just wondering if you would consider releasing it for commercial use under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license, or a similar licence that allows commercial use?

Also, if you will allow commercial use, would a single attribution on the main web site be acceptable attribution to cover all related use?

I'd be fine with that except that I don't know what kind of rights I have to license it for use in any manner. The six initial upper case letters that were developed/expanded upon to create the rest of the font are clearly someone's original work and the fact that I haven't gone out of my way to find the rights holders for the original logo puts my work on questionable footing to say the least. I've tried to be clear about that from the beginning when I made it available to others (hence my comments about "what it is (heavily inspired by) and what it isn't (a completely original work)"), but I don't think that transparency is likely much protection should any original rights holders raise concerns.

Since I cannot really give you permission to use the font, consider me consulted and I'd be fine with the limited attribution you mentioned. For commercial use I'd strongly urge you to seek out and consult the original rights owners of the logo and perhaps we could get the font properly "open sourced" under CC 3.0 or similar.

flame.hel

Feb 9, 2012
I'd be fine with that except that I don't know what kind of rights I have to license it for use in any manner. The six initial upper case letters that were developed/expanded upon to create the rest of the font are clearly someone's original work and the fact that I haven't gone out of my way to find the rights holders for the original logo puts my work on questionable footing to say the least. I've tried to be clear about that from the beginning when I made it available to others (hence my comments about "what it is (heavily inspired by) and what it isn't (a completely original work)"), but I don't think that transparency is likely much protection should any original rights holders raise concerns.

Since I cannot really give you permission to use the font, consider me consulted and I'd be fine with the limited attribution you mentioned. For commercial use I'd strongly urge you to seek out and consult the original rights owners of the logo and perhaps we could get the font properly "open sourced" under CC 3.0 or similar.

I'm only interested in the lowercase letters, which (regardless of the inspiration) are your original creative work, so there should be no problem with using them.

I don't think there would be any chance of getting the original font released under an open license as the Android brand guidelines state "The custom typeface may not be used" and "The Android logo may not be used". It's their logo so I can understand they wouldn't want anyone else using it commercially.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android Logo (inspired) font (updated 6-13-09)

Hello All,

I've gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and enjoyment from reading these forums, so it gives me great pleasure to be able to "give something back" to the community and I hope some folks can use and enjoy it.

I became a little obsessed with getting my hands on the Android logo font (the one on the animated splash screen) and, although it looked briefly like some version of it was going to be available when Lukster on Android Community posted something about it some time back, nothing ever came of it that I was able to find, so I finally decided to make my own.

I used the .png pics from that thread as a general guideline for how the capital letters should look and then just took some creative liberties with the lower case letters and numbers. I tried it first using Fontstruct (a very fun online way to make fonts if you've never made one before) but the results were not so hot, so I finally taught myself just enough FontForge to get some results I can live with. This is my first font ever, so please be kind, but please do offer any advice or criticism you might have for how it can be improved!

DroidLogo-sample.jpg

I built this right on top of the original DroidSans.ttf files so that I could be sure that all the characters commonly (and uncommonly) used by the phone would be supported. Then I had to copy all the characters into a brand new font file to strip off all of the no-longer accurate copyright/trademark information from Ascender and Google and I suspect that the overall presentation of the font may have been compromised in the transfer process due my near complete ignorance of all the various instructions and constraints, etc. that are variously embedded into a proper/professional font file. I will continue to go back and try to tweak some of these properties over time and will uploaded the latest versions, but what I have now seems to be working and is reasonably attractive and tolerably legible. All of the capital and lower case letters as well as the numerals are of my own creation (although obviously heavily inspired by the ANDROID logo and the font Lukster posted previously).

Both TrueTypeFont (TTF) files are attached as a Zip file simply for the sake of uploading it to the forum, so you'll want to unzip them first. Then you can ADB or fastboot them to your phone after renaming them to DroidSans.ttf and Droidsans-Bold.ttf or you can copy them to your SD card and load them from terminal, recovery terminal or with a Gscript as discussed in the font threads available on XDA.

Although plenty of folks simply load a single font file renamed as both DroidSans and DroidSans-Bold, I noticed that doing so basically disables the bold functionality on the phone, so I prefer loading both the regular and bold versions so that text will format appropriately, especially where the contrast is intended for emphasis. Thanks to the advice of anddep and the template and signing/set-up advice from Stericson I've also uploaded an update.zip of the fonts. Just rename it to update.zip in the root of your SD and Alt-S it from recovery mode and it'll replace the font files for you.

It is not by any means the most legible font you'll ever find, so the chances of folks leaving it on their phones for any period of time seems pretty slim, but it might be useful for some wallpapers, program UI screens, splash screens, etc. Feel free to use this font for any NON-commercial uses you see fit, understanding what it is and what it is not; just mention that you got it from ei8htohms when you do so.

_john

[Edit 5-24-09: This version is much improved with regards to regularity of character height, etc.]

[Edit 6-13-09: Corrected some missing glyphs that created formatting anomalies in app drawer, etc.]

[Edit 3-12-11: Added a version with (hopefully) correctly marked regular and bold versions for use on Mac or other PCs. Let me know if it doesn't work!]

[Edit 7-29-12: Added an update.zip package with Italic and Bold Italic versions suitable for ICS and JB.]