FireTV 1 (bueller) Full Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
This is only for FireTV 1 running version 51.1.0.2 software.

Unlike FireTV Partial Bootloader Unlock, this is a full bootloader unlock. fastboot flash and fastboot boot will both work. Of course you need an A to A USB cable to take advantage of it.

This is a tool to run on your Fire TV that will unlock the bootloader and then reboot. For now, this requires root. Apparently, the IDs that are required for this can be gotten through fastboot, so if someone can figure that out, then brand new Fire TVs with 51.1.0.2 or older can be unlocked and have recovery installed before booting the first time. Please refer to the linked thread below for more information.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Using this tool won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things afterwards might.

This was all code I had written for recovery before the partial unlock, just tweaked to be used in this situation. Thanks to http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hd...bootloader-unlock-procedure-software-t3030281 for showing what needed to be encrypted.

I have also published the full source at: https://github.com/androidrbox/aftv-full-unlock

To use:
  1. Downgrade: You must first downgrade to 51.1.0.2. If you already have CWM installed, you can skip this.
  2. adb push aftv-full-unlock /data/local/tmp/
  3. adb shell
  4. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/aftv-full-unlock
  5. su
  6. /data/local/tmp/aftv-full-unlock

If after it reboots and you run 'adb shell' and you get a root prompt, it has worked.

* Feb 16, 2015: The binary has been updated. The old version was unable to unlock certain Fire TVs. If you've already unlocked, you are fine. If it failed, this one should work.

You can download it here

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Wow! And I just ordered a fastboot cable 2 days ago...this is pretty amazing. Thanks!

Actually...it appears the aftvnews guide is linking to a 3.0 usb A to A, NOT a fastboot cable. Is this just a regular usb we need? Will a usb 2.0 work? I know I have one of those on hand...

Edit--got my answer. No fastboot cable needed and usb 2.0 should work. Now I'm wondering if an android terminal for a phone or tablet would work as that would be real convenient but I'm guessing not since its not mentioned.

Last edited:

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Could you clarify step 1? Does it mean if your already rooted you and have cwm, that you can skip downgrading to 51.1.0.2 ?

Reason I ask is I'm on 5.1.1.3.0, and ran the aftv-full-unlock, it did it's thing, rebooted. I rebooted to fastboot to do some tests.

Code:
C:\Android>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader)    Device tampered: false
(bootloader)    Device unlocked: true
OKAY [  0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.008s

C:\Android>fastboot boot firetv-cwm_recovery-6.0.5.1.2.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.269s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: boot not allowed for locked hw)
finished. total time: 0.286s

C:\Android>

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Could you clarify step 1? Does it mean if your already rooted you and have cwm, that you can skip downgrading to 51.1.0.2 ?

Reason I ask is I'm on 5.1.1.3.0, and ran the aftv-full-unlock, it did it's thing, rebooted. I rebooted to fastboot to do some tests.

Code:
C:\Android>fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader)    Device tampered: false
(bootloader)    Device unlocked: true
OKAY [  0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.008s

C:\Android>fastboot boot firetv-cwm_recovery-6.0.5.1.2.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.269s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: boot not allowed for locked hw)
finished. total time: 0.286s

C:\Android>

Hrm, if cwm works, then you are on the correct bootloader. Can you try running the unlock again and paste the output? Can you also run these 2 commands:

cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/manfid
cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/serial

rp201

Dec 18, 2010
some questions.
1. Must you "aftv-unlock lock" re-lock the partial unlock which might be there, before one does an "aftv-full-unlock" full unlock of the bootloader?

2. aftv-news states as long as you are on any of rbox's pre-rooted custom roms. So cwm 6.5.0.1.4a and 5.1.4.1_user_514013920 from rbox is not an issue.

3. will bootmenu be an issue with that rbox custom rom.

3. which keys are the sleep, vol up , vol down keys on a logitech k400r keyboard.

4. I could only fnd that it states using a linux environment. what about a windows environment and using Koush's universal adb driver or is there another driver needed for a firetv.

thanks.

sorry to ask. I'm just having issues connecting

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
some questions.
1. Must you "aftv-unlock lock" re-lock the partial unlock which might be there, before one does an "aftv-full-unlock" full unlock of the bootloader?

2. aftv-news states as long as you are on any of rbox's pre-rooted custom roms. So cwm 6.5.0.1.4a and 5.1.4.1_user_514013920 from rbox is not an issue.

3. will bootmenu be an issue with that rbox custom rom.

3. which keys are the sleep, vol up , vol down keys on a logitech k400r keyboard.

4. I could only fnd that it states using a linux environment. what about a windows environment and using Koush's universal adb driver or is there another driver needed for a firetv.

thanks.

sorry to ask. I'm just having issues connecting

1. no, partial doesn't matter
2. yes, if you have cwm working, then you are good
3. if bootmenu is working for you already, this won't change that
4. there are tons of threads already that talk about using logitech stuff
5. there are tons of threads on how to get adb working

Reactions: rp201

Resnoid

Jun 16, 2014
Thanks for your work on this rbox :)

I have a (noob) question; are the DRM keys still intact after the full unlock?

papars

Dec 12, 2008
I have the same question. Is this unlock of any use by people that have hardware rooted their newer firmware?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for your work on this rbox :)

I have a (noob) question; are the DRM keys still intact after the full unlock?

Netflix and Amazon Prime both work fine.

Will this work with emmc hardware root on latest software?

I have the same question. Is this unlock of any use by people that have hardware rooted their newer firmware?

No. As the OP states, you MUST be on the 51.1.0.2 bootloader. If you are on 51.1.4.0 or earlier, you can downgrade. Otherwise if 51.1.4.1 or above ever booted, it will brick if you attempt to use 51.1.0.2 bootloader.

Reactions: Resnoid

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I have updated the link in the OP with a new version. Some Fire TVs were having issues with the original version. This should work for all now.

Reactions: rgrever2

schybiorz

Dec 16, 2006
hi,

awesome work but i got a question.
i attempt to use your second unlock file, but before i already used your first one.

what makes me a little bit irritated, is the fact, that the unlock code is different compered to the first one.
i'll pm you

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
hi,

awesome work but i got a question.
i attempt to use your second unlock file, but before i already used your first one.

what makes me a little bit irritated, is the fact, that the unlock code is different compered to the first one.
i'll pm you

If the code is different that means it didn't unlock it the first time, because the code was wrong. Now it is right, so it should be unlocked.

schybiorz

Dec 16, 2006
thanks for reply.

is there any adb shell command we can use to determin unlock status?
or only via fastboot testing command?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is only for FireTV 1 running version 51.1.0.2 software.

Unlike FireTV Partial Bootloader Unlock, this is a full bootloader unlock. fastboot flash and fastboot boot will both work. Of course you need an A to A USB cable to take advantage of it.

This is a tool to run on your Fire TV that will unlock the bootloader and then reboot. For now, this requires root. Apparently, the IDs that are required for this can be gotten through fastboot, so if someone can figure that out, then brand new Fire TVs with 51.1.0.2 or older can be unlocked and have recovery installed before booting the first time. Please refer to the linked thread below for more information.

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Using this tool won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things afterwards might.

This was all code I had written for recovery before the partial unlock, just tweaked to be used in this situation. Thanks to http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hd...bootloader-unlock-procedure-software-t3030281 for showing what needed to be encrypted.

I have also published the full source at: https://github.com/androidrbox/aftv-full-unlock

To use:
    1. Downgrade: You must first downgrade to 51.1.0.2. If you already have CWM installed, you can skip this.
    2. adb push aftv-full-unlock /data/local/tmp/
    3. adb shell
    4. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/aftv-full-unlock
    5. su
    6. /data/local/tmp/aftv-full-unlock

If after it reboots and you run 'adb shell' and you get a root prompt, it has worked.

* Feb 16, 2015: The binary has been updated. The old version was unable to unlock certain Fire TVs. If you've already unlocked, you are fine. If it failed, this one should work.

You can download it here
    Why run exposed? What's that going to get me? I run xposed on my bl unlocked phone, love it for what it does on my phone. Unless xposed is going to get me TV channels, which is what my FireTV is for....don't see a need. Still haven't heard a single "good" reason for root....js. See absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OK well good for you I guess? Are you looking for someone to explain the benefits of root? Or for someone to give you a convincing reason to root? Because you've clearly made a decision against it and are, for some reason, trying to convince others you're correct. I don't see why it matters to you that much, just let everyone else root in peace. ;)
    @Kramar111 To recovery your box you flashed new (updated) bootloader into your box, so now you have a rooted 51.1.4.1 but with a non vulnerable bootloader. With that update they burn an efuse so you can´t boot with vulnerable bootloader. So no, the full unlock won´t work for you.
    I am in a special case where I am already on 51.1.0.2 but I don't have CWM installed yet.
    So,should I install CWM,and then what do I do since I am already on the right firmware version?

What special case? The ONLY mention of CWM in the OP is that if you already have it, you can skip the downgrade. Otherwise it says nothing of CWM. The first step is downgrade to 51.1.0.2. If you are already at 51.1.0.2, then there is nothing to do. Go on to step 2.