[App][2.2+] AutomateIt - Automate Your Android !

Search This thread

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
Is it possible to create a rule that will perform an action when connection to "my" network SSID goes true and another to perform an action when connection to "my" network SSID goes false?

If not, may I suggest it (and I don't use the official suggestion site because it wants me to install something just to use it).

terewong

Mar 1, 2010
NT
Just made 2 new rules and it works very well

Turn off Wi-Fi when I get away my Wi-Fi connection at home

Turning Wi-Fi toconnect my WiFi network when step into the radio cell ID at home

Muzikant

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 3, 2011
www.automateitapp.com
Is it possible to create a rule that will perform an action when connection to "my" network SSID goes true and another to perform an action when connection to "my" network SSID goes false?

If not, may I suggest it (and I don't use the official suggestion site because it wants me to install something just to use it).

You can use the "Wifi Network Connection State" trigger to select specific networks and trigger on connecting or disconnecting from it.

Reactions: terewong

Muzikant

May 3, 2011
www.automateitapp.com
I did get a location trigger to work when I increased size to 1000 meters, and polling to 1 minute...but then it ran the trigger every minute I was there..so I guess I need to set another rule to disable after the first trigger. And making it 1000 meters makes it trigger when I'm at my house (about 1400m away), so I am a step closer as its triggering now...but need to figure out a few other things.

Still looking for the best settings, if anyone wants to share whats working for them the best.

EDIT: One thing I was wondering is this. Locale triggers about 99% of the time, but it just doesn't have the options for what I want to accomplish after the trigger. I wonder if there's a way to use locale as the trigger, but make it run a manual set up execution list in AutomateIt Pro? Am I dreaming here? lol

Polling every minute seems a bit extreme. This frequency could have impact on your battery and I recommend changing it to at least 10 minutes.

If you can provide some more info about your rule settings (Proximity radius, Are you using Coarse location only etc) and what you see in the rule log that would be very helpful.

Reactions: terewong

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
You can use the "Wifi Network Connection State" trigger to select specific networks and trigger on connecting or disconnecting from it.

Great. I now have a rule
Trigger-Network[my network] is disconnected
Action-Set wifi adapter to disabled

I don't see how to create the companion rule for when I return into range of my network, of how to turn wifi back on. Since it is now off, it won't sense that 'my network' is now back in range.

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Great. I now have a rule
Trigger-Network[my network] is disconnected
Action-Set wifi adapter to disabled

I don't see how to create the companion rule for when I return into range of my network, of how to turn wifi back on. Since it is now off, it won't sense that 'my network' is now back in range.

You need to make a location based trigger for that.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
You need to make a location based trigger for that.

Ok, created a location rule, but am bothered that the trigger description is "inside or entering a proximity region..."

Is it possible to create a trigger that fires only when ENTERING, not when entering or already inside? In other words, a trigger for crossing the boundary only?

Also, does "using fine accuracy" mean exactly the same as "using GPS?" If so, I wish the terminology was consistent.

Last edited:

nila@ufl.edu

Sep 17, 2008
Gainesville
Calendar Issue

I have a Calendar Trigger that changes the sound mode to vibrate with Busy or Available events that use the title filter: Meet on event start. This rule works fine.

I have the exact same rule except at event start is unchecked to turn the sound mode back to normal, but this rule does not activate at the end of the meetings. Checking the history it is never triggered.

Any ideas to help me out with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Nila

Muzikant

May 3, 2011
www.automateitapp.com
Ok, created a location rule, but am bothered that the trigger description is "inside or entering a proximity region..."

Is it possible to create a trigger that fires only when ENTERING, not when entering or already inside? In other words, a trigger for crossing the boundary only?

Also, does "using fine accuracy" mean exactly the same as "using GPS?" If so, I wish the terminology was consistent.

You shouldn't worry about the "Inside" part of the trigger description. This is how it works:
If you are already inside the defined region when defining the rule - it will launch immediately. from now on, it will launch only when you will enter the defined region.
This terminology is used since the pro version allows combining multiple triggers into a single trigger so you can create a trigger that will launch when "some trigger AND inside defined region". This will not launch unless both triggers are active, hence, the "inside" terminology.

As for the "use fine accuracy" - Yes, it means that only GPS is used.

Muzikant

May 3, 2011
www.automateitapp.com
I have a Calendar Trigger that changes the sound mode to vibrate with Busy or Available events that use the title filter: Meet on event start. This rule works fine.

I have the exact same rule except at event start is unchecked to turn the sound mode back to normal, but this rule does not activate at the end of the meetings. Checking the history it is never triggered.

Any ideas to help me out with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Nila

Please send me an email using the "Help!" button on the About screen of the app after you expect the rule to launch so I can get more details on your issue.

Last edited:

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
My turn wifi on rule is

trigger-Inside or entering a...region of 2500m around (____). Sampling 15 min. Using fine and coarse accuracy.

action-set wifi to enabled

Pin on map is at exactly right place. It reliably never turns on, unless GPS gives a fix to the rule--which is extremely rare because this is a Captivate phone which has thoroughly lousy GPS.

Network location never works. Just came home and it did not trigger; history log showed network said I was 5451m from target, even though I was sitting right on the pin. Time of the logged data was 10 min after arriving home.

Since GPS also rarely works, I am having no success getting wifi to turn back on by the rule.

Last edited:

Muzikant

May 3, 2011
www.automateitapp.com
The coarse location accuracy is affected by the number of cells you have in your area. I have to say that 5451m is very inaccurate... Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with AutomateIt but with the location provider. read more about it here .

I guess that in your case the "Cell ID Trigger" is probably the better choice:
Cell ID Trigger user guide

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
The coarse location accuracy is affected by the number of cells you have in your area. I have to say that 5451m is very inaccurate... Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with AutomateIt but with the location provider. read more about it here .

I guess that in your case the "Cell ID Trigger" is probably the better choice

That makes sense. When I look at the tools icon in cell ID trigger, there is only one tower showing. Is that normal? And the possible cause of lack of precision when "network" is trying to provide location?

EDIT: Just found the "scan" function, and it found one other cell--total of two.

Last edited:

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
I recommend using the "Add cell (From Recent)" option to add all cells found in the last X hours since you are on the same location. In areas with lots of cells you can get to 30 cells for a single location (That's the highest number I've seen so far...)

So, when you have multiple cells added, does the rule trigger only when ALL of them are "seen" or when ANY of them are "seen?"

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
The trigger will launch when the device is connected to any one of the defined cells (You can't connect to more than one cell at a time...)

Ah, thanks! But I think I will leave it at just the one cell, because if it fires on ANY of the cells, that broadens the area of "detection". I want to NARROW the area to "my house." The problem with THAT, as we have been discussing, is that the location error is enormous when only one tower is in sight, so the rule fails because of that.

It seems to be an unsolvable situation...multiple cells ID'ed broadens the area (not wanted), and single cell makes the location error too big (so rule doesn't trigger).

I really appreciate all your input by the way.

Reactions: Pkt_Lnt

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
Ah, thanks! But I think I will leave it at just the one cell, because if it fires on ANY of the cells, that broadens the area of "detection". I want to NARROW the area to "my house." The problem with THAT, as we have been discussing, is that the location error is enormous when only one tower is in sight, so the rule fails because of that.

It seems to be an unsolvable situation...multiple cells ID'ed broadens the area (not wanted), and single cell makes the location error too big (so rule doesn't trigger).

I really appreciate all your input by the way.

I have almost the same situation in a very rural area with few cell sites. The two sites are almost the only ones for about 5-10 miles north and south, to the east is 5 miles to a town with plenty of sites, to the west is ocean. :)

What would make this work for me is to check for my home wifi SSID and then disable wifi if not found. Otherwise, wifi tries to connect where I spend 75% of my time in the local area.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
I have almost the same situation in a very rural area with few cell sites. The two sites are almost the only ones for about 5-10 miles north and south, to the east is 5 miles to a town with plenty of sites, to the west is ocean. :)

What would make this work for me is to check for my home wifi SSID and then disable wifi if not found. Otherwise, wifi tries to connect where I spend 75% of my time in the local area.

Very similar to my situation indeed; towers 3.8N, 2.4S, and a "supplemental" 1.2NE, ocean 0.8E.

I have a rule exactly as you describe to turn off wifi (network mine disconnected: disable wifi). It works well. My issue is turning wifi back on when I get back home.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AutomateIt is a simple automation tool for your Android device.

The application lets you define a set of your desired behaviors in response to events on your Android device. Each behavior/rule is defined as a pair of Trigger-Action that can be selected from a large set including SMS, bluetooth, wifi, location, headset, applications, battery and more triggers/actions.

AutomateIt provides a default set of useful rules to get you started:
    Low battery warning
    Quiet at night
    Normal sound mode at morning
    Max volume when headset unplugged
    Lower volume when headset plugged
    Unmute by SMS

Create your own rules with AutomateIt or use its built-in Rules Market with thousands of rules created and shared by AutomateIt users and use them on your device!

Screenshots: (Click to enlarge)
    View attachment 3288051View attachment 3288052View attachment 3288053View attachment 3288054 9-widgets.jpg

Links: User Guide, FAQ, Beta, Translation, Video

XDA Reviews: News, Video

Facebook: AutomateItApp
    Twitter: @AutomateItApp
    AutomateIt Next Generation is now available on the Play Store !

I'm excited to introduce AutomateIt Next Generation !

The power of the existing app with a completely renovated user interface and our new Rules Market which allows you to share rules with the world and see what other have automated !

Download from the Play Store or visit the new app website

vulI4XMstIQNIelslEnIJb80AkwWKz5c6xuO8j0iLD5hMnI55ndCtF1dVLsSf_7yXejL
    jJlZi3iM6ZLpse6COvvXAF8XLwJky7agrb4Va7SzO0qhTFTCC6ih_73zPMaMtal-4Q0
    6PzyBLu_BCzL5Vrt6wI46yIe7R9ZFUgPozOTzdI-Bo_AN3kj1HuD1lA_pJ32CF7Y7ey_
    AutomateIt - The Next Generation !

AutomateIt has been around for quite some time now, but as you probably noticed, it wasn't updated in a long time.

This does not mean that we abandoned this product - in fact, it means that there is something BIG happening and coming your way.

Use the following link to sign-up for our pre-release version which should be available for a limited number of users at first before it's released to the rest of the world.

Don't get left behind !

New release

Hi,
    Just released a new update with the following features:
    • NEW App icon !
    • Gain points for the Rules Market by uploading rules or sharing existing ones on Facebook or Twitter
    • NEW Action: Open URL
    • Application State Trigger is now supported on Jelly Bean
    • Updated translation for all languages and added a NEW language: Hungarian
    • UI and bug fixes

Some of the fixes/adjustments are thanks to the great feedback here on XDA so keep it coming !
    I have the following rules defined to get the same results and still save a lot of power. The first two rules are very simple and turn on/off the speaker phone according to the proximity sensor state (See attachment Activate-Deactivate Speakerphone Rules.png). Notice that both rules are disabled so we don't constantly monitor the proximity sensor.

Than I have another two rules that enables the first two rules when during a call and disables them when call ended (See attachment During Call Rules.png).

I believe that using these rules will get you the result you are looking for in terms of battery consumption.