[SHW-m110s] Korean Anycall Galaxy S, Thread/FAQ/ReadMe/Discussion/Questions

Search This thread

kloofy

Apr 20, 2012
There is so much going on, on this forum lately...it's awesome!
Just wish I was back from vacation so I could keep track of it all......

So, WC13 sounds like it works well (stock) with Tegrak.
Some small problems with Nakyup WC13? Anyone try redownloading the firmware and confirm that the sounds are back?

I am still pretty happy with VK22 to be honest.......

Thanks for all the updates by everyone. Still on vacation for 2 weeks, so won't be getting much new info. But, it looks like there are many more active members on here now, so that is great!

Yeah, I decided to join since im in ROK and it would be easier to filter through nakyup's site.
I'm still on the old WC13 Nakyup rom w/o sounds... Have it running at 1.3 for 2 weeks now. No issues, tested 1.5 but didn't notice much perf difference and didnt wanna push since I dont think it necessary. I haven't tried stock with Nakyup Kernel, so all questions answered above was for full Nakyup rom.

Im in contact with Hellmaker from Nakyup's site so if anyone has questions shoot...

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
I'll try that, "deodex" ing out, but i have no idea what DEODEX-ing means and how to use android SDK to replace done_app & done_frame folders in android system (deodex), had browsed all over the forum but couldn't have a idea about that..

try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=967290 and revisit my link page (pit stop) for FAQ links related to galaxy s

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

Im in contact with Hellmaker from Nakyup's site so if anyone has questions shoot...

Kloofy, Can you download or give me link to download their updated Nakyup wc13? so i can update my link page ..thanks. also convey to hellmaker , Battery charging inability is solely a Nakyup design problem as other roms have no such problem.

Reactions: Rusiru

thebigbanana

Jul 8, 2010
Well I've managed to flash the WC13 Nakyup ROM. I tried flashing the 2.3.6 Nakyup kernel as well using Odin, but I don't think that has worked.

My phone's Build Number is WC13

But my baseband is: m110s.WA03.0942.ST

I know the baseband is supposed to match the build number... but every time I try to flash the custom kernel, it just won't work. Odin says that the flashing works, the phone reboots, and nothing has changed. I don't understand why.

Also, my phone barely has any sounds. :(

What should I do to fix all of this?

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
Well I've managed to flash the WC13 Nakyup ROM. I tried flashing the 2.3.6 Nakyup kernel as well using Odin, but I don't think that has worked.

My phone's Build Number is WC13

But my baseband is: m110s.WA03.0942.ST

I know the baseband is supposed to match the build number... but every time I try to flash the custom kernel, it just won't work. Odin says that the flashing works, the phone reboots, and nothing has changed. I don't understand why.

Also, my phone barely has any sounds. :(

What should I do to fix all of this?

Ok , you are mistaken about baseband ...WA03.o942.ST is the correct version for WC13 Build.

you may not have sound on the Nakyup WC13 rom, as the Nakyup developers have not included sounds in their First version..

we need to get their updated version ( still unavailable)

If you need sounds just add your own, also do not do themeset as that is also unavailable in the first upload of Nakup WC13:)

Just download this for all the sounds you may need http://www.4shared.com/android/Kjz7g5c9/Ringtones_Complete_213.html

Last edited:
Reactions: thebigbanana

thebigbanana

Jul 8, 2010
Ok , you are mistaken about baseband ...WA03.o942.ST is the correct version for WC13 Build.

you may not have sound on the Nakyup WC13 rom, as the Nakyup developers have not included sounds in their First version..

we need to get their updated version ( still unavailable)

If you need sounds just add your own, also do not do themeset as that is also unavailable in the first upload of Nakup WC13:)

Just download this for all the sounds you may need http://www.4shared.com/android/Kjz7g5c9/Ringtones_Complete_213.html

Ah ok. That explains everything then. Thank you so much!

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
http://www.filedropper.com/nakyupm110sgbwc13g44turbo-rel

Havent had time to test it, but got it yesterday, so should be no problem.

File Details:
Filename: Nakyup_M110S_GB_WC13_G4.4_Turbo-rel.tar
Size: 0 KB, Type: tar
Date Posted: Friday, 27th April 2012, 01:18

hmm ...0 KB ?:confused: but something is being downloaded :D Thanks will see what comes out as my downloader is blank on size, progress and time

got it..seems only 140 kb addition from the first release ( only sounds added as mentioned by Hell maker )

Last edited:
Reactions: Sgvny2k

Sgvny2k

Sep 11, 2010
HCM
File Details:
Filename: Nakyup_M110S_GB_WC13_G4.4_Turbo-rel.tar
Size: 0 KB, Type: tar
Date Posted: Friday, 27th April 2012, 01:18

hmm ...0 KB ?:confused: but something is being downloaded :D Thanks will see what comes out as my downloader is blank on size, progress and time

got it..seems only 140 kb addition from the first release ( only sounds added as mentioned by Hell maker )

I should not flash this new release then. I already set sounds for my phone.

ICKGeek

Apr 18, 2012
Registration failed (13)???

Hi,

I am seeing the prompt "Registration failed (13)" on my phone intermittently. Any idea about how to resolve this problem?

Thanks

reycosare

Apr 27, 2012
sir what the difference between nakyup and lidroid rat9? does nakyup peforms smoothly? and battery life ok?

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
Hi,I am seeing the prompt "Registration failed (13)" on my phone intermittently. Any idea about how to resolve this problem?Thanks

What were you trying to register before you got this message?

was it a sim card? an application?

Normally your phone will have nothing to register for or to, hence it has to be one of the above.

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

sir what the difference between nakyup and lidroid rat9? does nakyup peforms smoothly? and battery life ok?

hmmm ...I am not the right person to tell you which among the two is best, cause i am still testing the WC13 Stock rom , But more members on this board are familiar with Nakyup than lidroid due its performance .

end of the day, its all about preference and usage , since battery life will more depend on usage.

Hope some of the other members will advice you as to their preference

reycosare

Apr 27, 2012
sir if i flash my ron to nakyup?

can i txt to 150 char and no korean apps?in battery performance the stock rom or the nakyup?

so the nakyup is much smoother than the lidroid?if using nakyup does this gives us much battery life?

Last edited:

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
sir if i flash my ron to nakyup?

can i txt to 150 char and no korean apps?in battery performance the stock rom or the nakyup?

so the nakyup is much smoother than the lidroid?if using nakyup does this gives us much battery life?

For all korean roms ( Custom & Stock) , you only need to install Go sms Pro (freeware from Google) and make it your default sms app and you can text more than 160 characters

For removing Koreans apps all you need to do is install root uninstaller and you can now either freeze them or uninstall them ( best to backup and uninstall, in which case you can reinstall if needed)

Battery performance will depend on usage, meaning what apps you got running in your system. For me I feel all WC13 series have better battery performance than their earlier versions.

Best you test it yourself as than you really get the feel of it and it will vary from user to user depending on what apps they are running on their phones and how they manage them.

Last edited:

ICKGeek

Apr 18, 2012
What were you trying to register before you got this message?

was it a sim card? an application?

Normally your phone will have nothing to register for or to, hence it has to be one of the above.

I am not sure... I have around 30 secs for my phone to get locked automatically. When i unlock the phone, sometimes i see the above error.

reycosare

Apr 27, 2012
sir after flashing my rom to nakyup wc13 kernel nakyup
samsung kies cant connect to my devices?how to i fix this please
help me

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
I am not sure... I have around 30 secs for my phone to get locked automatically. When i unlock the phone, sometimes i see the above error.

Did you install a phone lock application on your phone? If you did , it is better to uninstall, if you are still not sure as to how to adjust its settings or read the operations manual of that application on the web for help. From what you are saying, its likely that this locking software is not registered yet...so find out what or how you need to register

or

you have set your phone to roaming when you may not have such privileges

touch settings
touch wireless and network
touch Mobile Networks
untick Data Roaming
touch Network setting
use automatic

than reboot

IF not

touch "settings"
touch "Display"
touch "Screen timeout"

select 10 minutes or higher than 30 seconds

this will only stop your display timeout.

hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 AM ----------

sir after flashing my rom to nakyup wc13 kernel nakyup
samsung kies cant connect to my devices?how to i fix this please
help me

well you are not the only one, most kies users including myself can go nuts trying to get it to recognize your usb connection .

If you have the patience you can try reinstalling the usb driver...when you click trouble shoot on kies thats what it will do and ask you to reboot your phone over and over again :mad:

My solution was, I forget kies and use My Phone Explorer , it can connect by WIFI or Bluetooth or USB in a few seconds . just install on your PC and the client (update on google) on your phone

you can just drag and drop anything into your phone memory or SD cards

Download
Pc http://www.4shared.com/file/-6zrmEKo/MyPhoneExplorer_Setup_182_1_.html
Phone client http://www.4shared.com/android/EMK93GF5/comfjsoftmyphoneexplorerclient.html

Last edited:

reycosare

Apr 27, 2012
does this problem connecting to kies isnt from nakyup wc13? because when im in lidroid rat9 i can connect to kies.

does anyone knows how to fix sending sms more than 160 on stock sms?

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    efs problems and solutions

efs folder is found in your root of your Internal Phone memory, which contains encrypted information with regards to your phone identity, passwords, baseband etc

This folder can get corrupted or deleted when we Flash a custom rom...as many have experienced causing them to experience any of this

1) Corrupt or incorrect ( FAKE) IMEI number. (International Mobile Equipment Identity)

2) No Network and Signal ( calls, sms and mobile Internet not working)

3) No base Band or Unknown Baseband

4) Sim card lock missing

5) Undermentioned appearing in red on your desktop after phone boots up normally
    HW: Not Active
    BOOT: SHW-M110S Vj04.1944
    PDA:SHW-M110S Vj04.1944
    Phone: M110S.VI27.0941.ST

6) Undermentioned appearing when you try to boot
    E: failed to mount /efs (invalid argument)
    E: check_selective_file:Can´t mount /efs

7) Undermentioned appearing when you try to boot
    install_application_for_customer:Can´t mount /efs
    copy application failed.

8) Undermentioned appearing when you try to boot
    E: multi_csc: Can´t mount /efs
    Multi-csc applied failed.

9) Undermentioned appearing when you try to boot
    E: failed to mount /dev/block/stl3 or
    E: failed to mount /dev/block/bml3 corrupted

Hence DO YOU WANT TO RISK IT? by not making a backup of this important file , which can cause any of the above problems?

You guessed it, the solution is to backup BEFORE flashing anything .

How ?

Number of ways

1) S2 repair or Nitrility or GPS AIDS apps from google or all this

2) You can use an application Like EFS Pro developed by an XDA member lyriquidperfection

3) Or use a Root Explorer or any file manger with root permissions, to Zip it and save it in another location

4) Use ADB to copy to your SD card than move it to a safe location in your PC.

adb shell
    su
    cp -r /efs /sdcard/efs
    exit
    exit

Remedies for those who have a efs backup

If you Have a Backup and you want to restore it, this is one method

1) Download Root Explorer, or Xplore, or any root browser from Play Store and use it to
    2) Search you internal SD card for sdcard/backup/efs or any other backup you have for your efs
    3) Copy nv_data.bin, nv_data.bin.md5 paste them (means overwrite existing files) into /efs in your Internal Phone memory
    4) Fix permissions by Click on efs folder and keep it pressed to open the menu and click on permissions and set them to rw_r_r_ ( Owner = read & write - Group = read only and Others = Read only), after this Save using menu and exit using menu
    5) Power down phone and reboot into recovery and wipe cache before rebooting phone to get back your original IMEI

Another method Here or you can use the restore function in the app that you used to back it up

If restoring the efs folder or you have a nv_data.bin backup but if you write nv_data.bin or .nv_data.bak it's being deleted on every boot, than follow this [GUIDE] how to get IMEI to stick across reboots to make it stick.

In the event you have Failed to SAVE it and now would like to solve these problems

Following remedies available for those who DO NOT have a Backup,

Download EFS Folders for modification and restoration My Android Collection

These methods had worked for some but not for others.

1) Flash a stable stock ROM preferably an earliest version
    i9000 use JVU without repartition or JVZ or JPU ( Froyo)
    M110S use Eclair DG 23
    or
    2) In recovery mode , wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition. Then reboot
    or
    3) Delete efs folder (by using root explorer), clear EFS (using Odin) and flashing a new ROM.
    or
    4) Replacing keystr file ( If missing) in efs > imei folder
    or
    5) For Unknown Baseband just install KIES and then connect Phone to it...
    and now Baseband will be correctly detected

Other methods deleted by Mod
    [highlight]Mod Edit: While I understand that the purpose of this guide is to help those who have lost their IMEI's while flashing ROMS, this opens up a whole new can of worms as far as what can be done with it. The outcome is illegal in most countries in fact. Sorry.[/highlight]
    Last edited by egzthunder1; 28th August 2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Final Solution:-

When NOTHING works and its going to drive you nuts, just walk down to your nearest Phone repair shop, find out how much they will charge for using their Riffbox/z3x/spt/octopus box to fix the IMEI, and it can be resolved in a few minutes when the problem is software related.

IF it is Hardware related than it could be due to base-band problem and may need an IC replacement to resolve.

to verify do the following test

type *#06# , and IF you get message "imei null" or imei starts by 0049XXXX or 00000 it should be resolved by software .
    but IF nothing is shown when you type *#06#, that is a hardware problem or look at attached picture below.

You can do a search on this forum to see the rest of the problems and remedies associated with EFS, but seriously .....
    .DO YOU WANT THIS PROBLEM?:(

SO BACKUP and STORE your IDENTITY :)

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR EFS FOLDER BEFORE FLASHING

Check this out!You , YES! you are an " Android ". Not your phone but U.

You Must watch this documentary concerning your privacy Terms & Conditions we had agreed to, by using a PC or Smartphone

How to say Thank you? If you find any post helpful on XDA, please click on the Thanks button
    thanks.jpg

If you are using XDA App or Tapatalk, long press on the post and select :good: Thanks
    Its easier to give "Feedback" in this manner than make an additional post.​

This file will be updated and linked to Pit Stop
    [Noob Guide] Flashing and Recovery using Repair Kit on M110S

Flashing can brick your phone but is needed to upgrade your phone or root your phone.
    So beware of the consequences arising out of using wrong firmware or incorrect flashing procedures or failing to observe requirements.

Requirements :-

1) PC or Laptop installed with samsung usb drivers

2) Use Only Odin3 version 1.70 (attached below) on your PC/Laptop
    (later versions works but seem to have problem flashing Bootloader and gets stuck)

3) The latest Stock ROM (WF07) or custom ROM (only M110S ROMS) of your choosing

4) The Korean Galaxy S (SHW M110S) Note:- NOT OTHER MODELS OF GALAXY S

(you can download your software requirements from Pit Stop)

First and foremost you must UNDO any lagFix or partition you had made in your phone. Never wipe data if you had enabled Onenand Mode before! or you will end up in serious problems.

Second in order to Save your important files like efs folder /backups/Images/ downloaded game content etc, use a file manager and copy paste them to your external SD card and remove your external SD card for safe keeping or use USB Mass Storage mode to save them to your PC/Laptop and remove external SD card

Third you need to Format your Internal SD card by:- Touch Menu> settings> storage> unmount Internal SD card> Format and
    you need to Factory reset the phone as well by:- Touch menu> settings> Privacy> factory reset + wipe SD card

Lastly Enable USB Debugging on Phone. Touch menu> Settings> Applications> Development>, You need to shutdown phone , boot-up into 3e recovery (press and hold Volume down + Home + Power) Here you need to wipe device as well as wipe partition and reboot.

Make sure you have more than 50% Battery Charge and Never interrupt Flashing process and also Disable Samsung KIES when using Odin. Kill Kies.exe, KiesTrayAgent.exe, & KiesPDLR.exe using Task Manager on PC
    Again check battery Level every-time before you start​

Above are REQUIREMENTS , you MUST and HAVE to fulfill them for a clean and safe flashing process

Flashing Procedure :-

1) Shut down your phone and remove battery, press and hold power button for a minute than reinsert battery

2) Put your phone into download mode Like this (press home + power buttons)

3) run Odin, select the file (rom or kernel you wish to flash) under PDA
    (do not tick or click any other button, restart odin if you made mistakes)

4) Connect USB cable to PC and wait for Odin com port to turn yellow Like this
    (your phone should and must be recognized)

5) Press start and wait for the green PASS signal from ODIN Like this
    (on a successful flash, to disconnect the USB cable)

Its all over in five seconds for a kernel and a few minutes for a Rom, IF there were no problems

attachment.php

6) Once your phone has rebooted and you are full of joy, shut down the phone again insert your external SD card and reboot by recovery mode (Volume down + Home + Power) Here you need to wipe device as well as wipe partition and reboot for the phone to function without complications.

Thats it, you are on the new firmware

But.. in download mode it may get stuck or fail to complete, thats when you need to

1) remove battery and reinsert

2) you may notice your phone going into upgrade mode Like this or BSOD Like this and cannot go into download mode

3) just run Odin (when you connect phone, Odin will recognize and turn yellow)
    If not press Home + Power to enter download mode

4) Re-Flash again after making sure you had followed above procedure No. 3 to 6 , it should pass

In the event It failed again and again, you may need to use the repair kit to resolve this problem you can download Recovery guide or attached below

Using Repair Kit to Unbrick M110S​
    First stage :- For every Stage of Flashing RESTART ODIN and always use Fresh ODIN

1) download repair kit and unzip it (you will have 6 tar files)

2) put phone into download mode after battery pull

2) run odin and select m110s.pit under PIT (Re-partion option will be automatically ticked)

3) select M110S-PDA-PHONE-MOVI-REV03-DG23-1409-USER.tar.md5 under PDA

4) connect phone and Press start (within 10 min your phone will reboot into Eclair Firmware)

attachment.php

you will have a fully working phone after this, only needs further updates, so continue to stage 2

Second stage:-

1) put phone into download mode after battery pull

2) run odin select S1_KOR_DE09.pit under PIT (make sure you UNTICK the re-partition option in Odin)

3) select M110S-BOOT-DG23-1409.tar.md5 under CSC

4) connect phone and press start (within a few min phone will reboot)

attachment.php

Third Stage:-

1) put phone into download mode after battery pull

2) run Odin select M110S-NPS-IMAGE-REV03-DG23-1409-USER.tar.md5 under PDA

3) selct M110S-PHONE-REV00-DG24.0151_Develop.tar.md5 under PHONE

4) Connect Phone and select start ( within few min phone will reboot )

attachment.php

Fourth Stage:-

Your Phone is currently running its FIRST out of the box Firmware used in 2010 , so now you need to upgrade to the latest 2012 Stock ROM or Custom ROM of your choice so repeat Flashing Procedure to upgrade to Latest Firmware

IF unable to complete repair procedure

Final Solution:-

After receiving many requests for help, concerning stage 2 of the repair procedure, Failing or unable to complete as it gets stuck on Boot-loader upgrade or similar

My advice is to proceed to stage 4, meaning you Flash a Latest stock or custom after the Eclair ROM, this will solve the issue and you would be able to USE the phone .

so if it get stuck after stage 1 ( meaning phone functions using the oldest ROM ) , just continue to stage 4 and flash the latest ROM

You , YES! you are an " Android ". Not your phone but U.

You Must watch this documentary concerning your privacy Terms & Conditions we had agreed to, by using a PC or Smartphone

How to say Thank you? If you find any post helpful on XDA, please click on the Thanks button
    thanks.jpg

If you are using XDA App or Tapatalk, long press on the post and select :good: Thanks
    Its easier to give "Feedback" in this manner than make an additional post.​

This Post is linked to the Pit Stop Page
    Pit Stop for Anycall SHW M110S Korean Galaxy S

Welcome to Pit Stop
    Everything for and about the Korean Anycall Galaxy S from Samsung
    Comments, Suggestion, Errors and Omissions are welcome.
    Just register at XDA and post on Anycall forum

Be Advised that Most Mobile Phones have their own WIKI page on XDA Forum providing compiled knowledge about that particular phone and using them can provide many details that you may not be aware of, so always do a search first on the Wiki page for your unit.

Whatever you have done or may do with your phone because someone said so, is still your responsibility ...so take your time READ carefully to avoid making mistakes in haste, be calm and recheck the details.

Need a Guide? visit Your BEST Friend and Helper

Need some solutions? visit Android Quick Fixes and Solutions

Need Some Tools, Drivers and Utilities visit My Android Collection

Did anyone help you in this Forum visit How to say Thank you

This POST is moved to its NEW Thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1856992 as it is getting Big
    MediaFire downloads

Due to increasing Help requests via private messaging for other download links, had to setup mediafire links.

Problem in MediaFire is that you cannot upload large files, as such had to be split up

Hence the need for HJ split http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tltdt45u4lt9ik4 to join split files

WF07 Stock ROM http://filerio.in/ujyx3ytggozz

GFAN WF07 SP 8 XDA VERSION Updated 8/27/12 http://filerio.in/2wfk1uk0pv5u New or here
    GFAN WF07 SP6 XDA VERSION Updated 7/31/12 http://www.mediafire.com/?8jn5vazlezn6jal
    GFAN WF07 SP6 XDA VERSION http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?w5ccr3a68vzaba5

GFAN SP8 Chinese Version http://www.4shared.com/rar/-qlFF49T/GFAN_M110S_FTE9K_WF07_ODEX_SP8.html?refurl=d1url

WC13 Stock ROM
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ob1pe0mgdgd9xtv
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5bay0km4figi5n3
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3ip8xj3aqb8u8d3
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?96a35txcoe31w37

WC13 Stock Kernel http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3oxf9xzka0zwmz3

WC13 Rooting Kernel http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?im11dma9irrromc

I9000 Technician Manual http://www.mediafire.com/view/?or3hgpu1bvjf103

Repair Kit :-
    Recovery Procedure http://www.mediafire.com/?vrxqjq64ng98687 must follow step by step
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?l2c9fvwwbawek23
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1e8u1cza9cec5nc
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e08hh74b6sf9uu5
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?swye55u1283qh2s
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?pn8zhr6q3235v45
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zj22z2y4esw7t5o
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lcn4vsz41idac8w

This post will be updated and Linked to Pit Stop post
    Hi All,

I'm going to put this upfront, because it's more important than the FAQ. Though there names get repeated a bit in this post, a major credit goes to Koe & Appagom for providing a lot of know-how, testing, information sharing and answers to questions users have posted here. This thread wouldn't be half as valuable without them. They should probably consider getting donate links, as it's the popular thing to do around here anyways, and I'd surely give them a few 원 for some soju or their beverage/food of choice for enhancing my phone experience. If they do decide to do something like that, I'd encourage you to do the same if you've used their methods or have even delayed taking action until you saw and read about their successes, trials & tribulations before proceeding with anything risky.

Next important thing, please don't try to flash i9000 or any other SGS variant's firmware unless you are really prepared to experiment and fix your own problems.

I'm writing this because perhaps it will help us SHW-m110s users spread information and have a point of reference, perhaps even bookmark, to spread information specific to our phone. Many of our questions just get posted in the most recently replied to thread with the word "Korean" in it. Part of my goal will also be to provide an area that Korean users who speak little English will be able to post and have a discussion. I will start that process on my own and enlist help from others I know. Please feel free to contribute in any way you can in any of these areas.

With the Froyo update, I'd like to link to one of the more newsworthy and relevant development's due to increased system functionality we have at our disposal. Koe's guide on HowTo OpenVPN on the SHW-M110S (via StrongVPN and maybe others) can be found here Thanks KOE

Tested on FroYo firmware versions DI29 and SK05

Prerequisites:
    rooted (I also recommend SuperUser)
    busybox installed
    You understand the benefits of being able to connect to a stateside OpenVPN server.
    openVPN server account

By request, other links to other guides or important topics available on XDA (or elsewhere) for the Galaxy S series if you haven't already come across them or just need a point in the right direction will be posted here. So, please let me know if you feel there is some other required reading before the test :p:

[REF] BIG FAQ! {Flash/Root HOWTO} {ADB&Tutorials} {T&T} {FW-Guide} [MUST READ!]

So, on with the FAQ/guide:

*please note, this is a highly work-in-progress thread and is meant to be supplemental to, not in place of, better, more refined guides featured in the I9000 board. I started to plan this about 24 hours ago but there continue to be questions asked out of place so I'm rushing this a bit

1. Where can I find ROM "(insert name)"?
    2. How do I update my phone?
    3. Can I put a ROM from the i9000 or another SGS family on this device?
    4. What frequencies does the cellular radio operate on?
    5. Does that make this a world phone?
    6. What limited functionality have users experienced overseas?
    7. How do I use Voice search in Korean?
    8. What else is different from the I9000 and other versions of the SGS?
    9. How do I root my phone?
    10. Where is Samsung Apps/Samsung Apps store?
    11. Are there any other ways to download games in Korea?
    12. Does SK Telecom support OTA updates?
    13. How do I work the DMB tuner?
    14. Why aren't the Secret Codes aren't working?
    15. Can I change the SMS character limit from 80 to 160 characters?
    16. Can we get Social Hub on the phone?
    17. I want the boot animation, do you have it?
    18. This FAQ is terrible, but I have a question...

1. Where can I find ROM "(insert name)"?
      Koe seems to have kept a good list, here.
    2. How do I update my phone?
      Download Kies 2.0 here > click on the magnifying glass to the right of "Kies" > click on the white button "Kies 다운로드" > run the file > install > important set your location (left box) to Korea (I assume this to be the default) and your language (right box) can be the language of your choosing.
    3. Can I put a ROM from the i9000 or another SGS family on this device?
      This is one of those, 'if you have to ask...stay far far away questions'. Essentially you can come in here if you want a suggestion on what ROMs we might be using at the time, but no, for the love of God don't ask about i9000 or other device ROMs. If you know how to get yourself out of a pickle you wouldn't even need to ask, and if you try and fail you'll be asking us to get you out.

Right now most users are content with z4mod, though there are some Korean ROMs that will be brought up from time to time.

4. What frequencies does the cellular radio operate on?
      *To be updated*
    5. Does that make this a world phone?
      XDA users have reported some phone functionality in Russia and the Philippines. And know specific carriers in the US that the phone may/may not be compatible with, and if this will work for users in the EU. It seems that most people, if they have the right APN information, have gotten working this in a variety of countries though there will be at least some U.S. carriers that aren't available and potentially other non-standard frequency users. Still, if I were living in another country I'd probably only get this from a distributor who I'd be able to get a refund from if I couldn't get it working - anything else and you're doing so at your own risk.
    6. What limited functionality have users experienced overseas?
      User ulrauko has reported no data functionality on his device in Russia.
      It is recommended to work with a local carrier to get APN information to enter into your settings in order to maximize phone functionality. Some users may continue to have 3G problems after this, it might be possible to check setting "data roaming" in wireless & network > Mobile networks, but it'd be wise to check with your carrier to see what happens if you end up roaming onto another carriers towers.
      Users precious_mew has reported that he can't use MMS due to his carrier while chester_go has reported an inability for his phone to see his phone number requiring him to edit his phone number (to any number, not necessarily his actual number) to send SMS without any problems receiving SMS. Since then, Chester has been able to "program" his SIM by using the following method:
      -Removing the SIM card
      -Placing it in another phone that has the "My Number" option (I used an iPhone, heard that older Sony Ericssons work too.)
      -Entering my own number in international format (+63917~) (Prior to this, "Unknown" was also shown in the iPhone.)
      -Inserting the SIM back to the M110s.

7. How do I use Voice search in Korean?
      Voice Search can be changed in settings>voice & input>voice recognition settings>lanugage...
    8. What else is different from the I9000 and other versions of the SGS?
      For now, I assume that we have different cellular radios. Also, we have a T-DMB tuner. We were given different stock software, originally missing Swype and a few other things, since then we have received Swpye through a firmware upgrade. We do utilize different firmware for our SHW-m110s than the typical international versions.
    9. How do I root my phone?

Appagom's Evolving, and well well-supported, Post.

10. Where is Samsung Apps/Samsung Apps store?
      The Samsung Apps store in Korea is a subset of SK Telecom's store, I highly doubt this would be accessible overseas as I think it's SIM card dependent. There you will find a full version of Asphalt for a free download. Please note, some games, even western games such as Farm Frenzy only have Korean language menu, while Asphalt has both English and Korean. I'd also guess there is no 24 hour return policy, but any confirmation would be great, and I have to presume that charges will be added to your monthly phone bill. *As of Froyo SK has partially, and poorly, integrated part of their(?) app store into the marketplace in a separate tab called "SKT"
    11. Are there any other ways to download games in Korea?
      Being rooted will allow you to run MarketEnabler and fake a SIM code to be in one of a few countries. I don't think anyone on this thread knows the legality of such actions, so do so at your own risk.

*Note, as of Nov 15th, the Froyo update fast web installer is not functional. Will update if there is a change and I remember. Also, see Koe's guide to getting VPN working which can give you access to location restricted apps.
      I hold out hope that fast web installer for AppBrain will be updated to work on the SGS, there are reports that some items such as GoogleEarth can be installed in this manner where users can't find the app in the marketplace.
      There are also always "other ways" amongst them there are 3rd party sites such as slideme.org where you can find both paid and free games (some of which might not be available in the marketplace due to developer preference and/or marketplace restrictions). Slideme will work direct on the phone and you can also use it on your PC to download and sideload apps. As a matter of fact, games can be found by developers here at XDA which can be sideloaded. If you root your phone you will, hopefully, be able to use market enabler to sign as though you aren't in Korea (use wifi + airplane mode) and be able to download games directly from the marketplace. Additionally there are always the less legitimate ways.
    12. Does SK Telecom support OTA updates?
      User akbk84 reported to me in August that he did receive an OTA udpate. However, this was weeks after I had received my first, and I was perhaps on my 3rd or 4th update by then. He She (my apologies :D) did, however, receive the most current update. I do not know what SK/Samsung plan going forward, perhaps just critical updates will be OTA. I personally have, and I kind of recall reading someone else might've, received an OTA camera update.

Update: In the t-store there is an app called T-Upgrade, we believe it is supposed to give OTA updates to the phone. After downloading it didn't help me get the newest FW, so I'll post further information when I hear of a success story.

13. How do I work the DMB tuner? The DMB tuner works best with the DMB antenna extended. Extend the DMB tuner, located on the top right of the phone above the power button.
    14. The secret codes were changed, or removed from, or broken during, an August firmware update. For now, we will keep a running list of working secrete codes here:

TouchKey F/W Info - *#86824#
      - Has an "F/W Update" Button
      - Can set the "Menu" and "Back" key sensitivity

SKT Admin menu (general settings, such as: network, system, sms, etc.)
      From the dialer enter: 319712358
      You will be prompted for a pasword: 774632

thanks koe1974
    15. Can I change the SMS character limit from 80 to 160 characters?
      This seems to be a common question posed from people living outside of Korea. Handcent defaults to 160 characters before changing the message to an MMS, how this will affect your message setting and carrier costs have never been verified so please do some sort of conclusive test and update us. Within Korea, MMS/SMS have the same pricing and free allotment, so it doesn't seem to be necessary to have the 160 character difference, also I haven't heard anything about how this might affect the messages and how SKT would deal with and treat extra long SMS messages.
    16. Can we get Social Hub on the phone?
      As far as I know, no one has successfully extracted and loaded Social Hub onto our phones.
    17. I want the boot animation, do you have it?
      Yes, please go to this post for more information.
    18. This FAQ is terrible, but I have a question...
      Please ask, provide better answers, do whatever to help us improve our SHW-m110s experience.
    Thanks all!