GPS issues finally fixed with Froyo?

Search This thread

widjaja74_us

Dec 26, 2008
So, all those who have upgraded the firmware to Froyo, please answer this.....
Is your GPS/Google Map finally working in perfect condition?
If the GPS still have problem then i think we can probably say with high degree of certainty that it is a hardware based problem....
I mean with all the firmwares that they have leaked so far, wouldnt fixing the GPS issue be priority number one for them? If it was software/firware fixable, then i would think that they would have solve it by now....

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
So, all those who have upgraded the firmware to Froyo, please answer this.....
Is your GPS/Google Map finally working in perfect condition?
If the GPS still have problem then i think we can probably say with high degree of certainty that it is a hardware based problem....
I mean with all the firmwares that they have leaked so far, wouldnt fixing the GPS issue be priority number one for them? If it was software/firware fixable, then i would think that they would have solve it by now....
If they haven't fixed it yet for us on Eclair what would make you think FroYo fixes the problem?

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
The next official release will be Froyo, so it makes sense they do not work at eclair firmware anymore. So if they fix GPS it will be with the next official firmware and this should be Froyo.
They need to patch the GPS before September. If they had a patch we would be hearing about an OTA and it would be included in later leaked firmware revisions.

ml78

Jul 8, 2010
Are you going back to the SGS if/when they fix it? Thought you sold yours.... But im old and might have you confused with someone else :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

widjaja74_us

Dec 26, 2008
Yes sirs..... i sold mine couple of weeks ago ...
i couldnt find any good or better android phone ever since... all have their flaws in one way or another... so if they fixed the GPS issue, i might go back to this phone because it still offers the best features compared to others....
i'll probably wait to see until september wether they have fixed this GPS issue or not.....
Iphone 4 seems to have the phone signal problems taken care off in their later batches of production phones... so i might consider that phone too if that is really the case.....But still, i hate the thought of having to cut up my sim cards just to be able to fit in the phone... it will give me problems when i want to use the sim on other phones.... i think the use of different size sim card is totally dumb move on steve jobs.....its a differentiation feature that offers no benefits at all but headache....But coming from someone who said "you are holding it the wrong way" about a phone, it is no surprise for me......
So smart yet so stupid....

Last edited:

justmevagyok

Jul 14, 2010
GPS on my Galaxy S works perfectly on all firmware, so if gps does not work on yours it must be a hardware problem. Take it back.

May 6, 2008
Why with froyo, if is a software issue must be broadcom driver problem libgps.so ,
android interface with driver gps.h is clear(http://pdk.android.com/online-pdk/guide/gps.html).
So you "only" have to replace the driver and possibily related config files.
If GPS is capable of 24 satellites (bcm4751 seems a good GPS chip) simultaneus tracking why only can lock 8 (this is not explainable).
Excuse my poor English.

alain57

Jul 15, 2010
GPS on my Galaxy S works perfectly on all firmware, so if gps does not work on yours it must be a hardware problem. Take it back.

yeah sure .... using the GPS with GPS test in your house and having a fix in 10 sec is the main use of a GPS ... at least for all people saying it work

Just for information, the main use of a GPS is for car navigation, and there the GPS is kind of useless .....

buddy01

Jul 14, 2010
if they fixed the GPS issue, i might go back to this phone because it still offers the best features compared to others....

Iphone 4 seems to have the phone signal problems taken care off in their later batches of production phones...

It's more likely that the flaw is in software than hardware, and samsung has said multiple times that they are looking into it, so i bet there will be a fix for it.

The problem with the iPhone is that you can't fix a design flaw, without new design, understand? See, when you connect 2 different antennas with your finger, you kill them both.

Anyhow, if you even consider iOS over Android, then i guess Android itself just isn't for you. The thing in Android is customization and if you don't like that, then you're better off with Apple products. I tend to recommend iPhone for girls and hipster friends, because they don't understand anything about personality or care about the latest and greatest hardware.

[offtopic rant]
In fact, Apple products scare me a little bit; so much fanaticism. I happen to work in a web development agency and we have to use mac's. Everyone except me in my office praises Apple and i absolutely hate it, mainly because my WIN 7 machine at home is just, well, multiple times faster and better for everything (crapbook in work is the latest and greatest). To me it seems that they are in some sort of vista (before SP1) hating time continuum; they can't escape, even though snowleopard is a joke update to the previous cute cat. They seem to hate all Microsoft, because of IE6 and vista(before sp1); even though they have **** like iTunes, QuickTime and well OSX(my honest opinion, have to use snowleopard every day).
[end rant]

Good luck!

Bajo76

May 16, 2009
Spreitenbach
Why with froyo, if is a software issue must be broadcom driver problem libgps.so ,
android interface with driver gps.h is clear(http://pdk.android.com/online-pdk/guide/gps.html).
So you "only" have to replace the driver and possibily related config files.
If GPS is capable of 24 satellites (bcm4751 seems a good GPS chip) simultaneus tracking why only can lock 8 (this is not explainable).
Excuse my poor English.

Is it for sure that our Galaxy is using this chip?

I also think that it is an driver problem. while starting gps test at the first moment it locks satelites with signal under 20 snr, but it loose them again and do not lock satelites under 20 snr anymore.