[FIX] Fixing your bricked/black screen DSOD/broken nvflash Tab

Search This thread

josief2013

Feb 8, 2013
broken Samsung SCH-i905 Verizon 4g TLE

hello guys , I have an annoying problem, hope I can fine somebody who can help .
I got Samsung SCH-i905 from Verizon but I wanted to use it without sim activation, while I was installing a new rom "for 7500", it stucked. since that the I can't switch on the tablet. if I put the charger , no indication , if I connect it to PC , nothing..
is there anyway to restore the flash? or what shall I do? now I have an expensive stone :(((((((((((((((((((((((99

ecastanyos

Oct 26, 2012
Barcelona
Could anyone help me?

Hello, first of all sorry for my English, it's not my language.
I have a problem with my tablet (GT-P7500), I was using CM10.1/SGT7 for P4 ROM. I used that rom for a several weeks, and I love it, but suddenly I can't start the tablet, there is a loop and I only can see for a seconds the logo of CWM and then restart again.
I've gone to recovery, and I put another time the rom after the wipes, but the problem is the same.
Finally I've enter in Download mode and with Odin I've put a samsung official rom stock. The sequence with Odin was correct, but when it is restarting....it's stop in the Samsung Logo, and I cannot open the tablet, even I can not close it until I plug the charger and I can see the battery.
Someone have any idea what else I can do? :crying:
Thank you very much

Edit: Finally I solved! :) I put by Odin the recovery and root again and it starts.
Thanks

Last edited:

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Does this method work for hard bricked tablets? For example an unsuccessful bootloader flash?

If you can't start it in downloader mode, you're stuck since ODIN won't connect. Since your bootloader is probably locked, you can't re-flash it.
(I assume you've tried to use nvflash to recover.)

bucketachicken

Sep 2, 2009
www.anglaispod.com
Out of curiosity, for someone in a similar situation, how would I go about using nvflash to recover? My bootloader is unlocked, but my tab froze mid rom flash due to a bad recovery (several months back), and won't boot into anything other than a minimal nvflash screen (I posted earlier in this thread a couple times with details).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Out of curiosity, for someone in a similar situation, how would I go about using nvflash to recover? My bootloader is unlocked, but my tab froze mid rom flash due to a bad recovery (several months back), and won't boot into anything other than a minimal nvflash screen (I posted earlier in this thread a couple times with details).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Directions for using nvflash are here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1130574
However, there's no "minimal nvflash screen" - if it's in APX mode, the screen is completely dark. I don't know what mode you're in.

bucketachicken

Sep 2, 2009
www.anglaispod.com
Directions for using nvflash are here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1130574
However, there's no "minimal nvflash screen" - if it's in APX mode, the screen is completely dark. I don't know what mode you're in.

Well what I mean is that my tab, in APX mode, will show this message:

Enter NvFlash recovery mode / Nv3p Server

and that's it. (this is after running the "nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --go" command)

Any ideas? At this point I tried a bunch of commands I found everywhere (my posts are in this thread from months ago, I wanna say last September/October), and nothing ever does anything. So I have no clue...

-------edit--------

Oh, and the majority of the time, this is what happens:

Code:
c:\nvflash>nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --go
Nvflash started
rcm version 0x20001
System Information:
chip name: t20
chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 3
chip sku: 0x8
chip uid: [removed, is this sensitve data?]
macrovision: disable
hdcp: enabled
sbk burned: false
dk burned: false
boot device: emmc
operating mode: 3
device config strap: 0
device config fuse: 17
sdram config strap: 0

downloading bootloader -- load address 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: bootloader.bin
| 1473840/1473840 bytes sent
bootloader.bin sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader failed NvError 0x0
command failure: bootloader download failed

I remember I had found a bunch of other bootloader.bin files from various places and tried them, I had one that I'm gonna try again to find that would always be "successful" but of course that just got me to the point mentioned earlier, where the tab shows "NvFlash recovery mode" and I can't do anything else anyway, so I'm stuck.

Last edited:

bentprop

Apr 1, 2011
I have a P7510 Galaxy Tab that bricked on me. It was running fine then I plugged it in to charge for a while, when I picked it up it would not wake/boot. I have tried all the ways to restart it (long push, push power while touching screen, trying to boot to recovery or download, etc) to no avail.

I am trying to do the procedure listed at the top of this thread but I can't seem to get the battery to fully discharge. I have let it sit for several (4-5) days with the power button taped down but when I connect it to my computer it still shows the "NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices" entry in the device manager. The entry cycles on and off as the power button is held down.

I don't Know what else I can do to drain the battery. It seems that my only other choice may be to try to crack the case and physically disconnect the battery.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Well what I mean is that my tab, in APX mode, will show this message:

Enter NvFlash recovery mode / Nv3p Server

and that's it. (this is after running the "nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --go" command)

Any ideas? At this point I tried a bunch of commands I found everywhere (my posts are in this thread from months ago, I wanna say last September/October), and nothing ever does anything. So I have no clue...

Ah, OK. Now I understand. So, you've got an unlocked bootloader at least. It's at least getting to the point where you've downloaded the nvidia bootloader, and it appears to be running. What happens when you try the "nvflash --resume --download 8 recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.img" to push a new recovery when the "Enter NvFlash recovery mode" message shows up?

bucketachicken

Sep 2, 2009
www.anglaispod.com
Ah, OK. Now I understand. So, you've got an unlocked bootloader at least. It's at least getting to the point where you've downloaded the nvidia bootloader, and it appears to be running. What happens when you try the "nvflash --resume --download 8 recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.img" to push a new recovery when the "Enter NvFlash recovery mode" message shows up?

Ok, from the screen showing "NvFlash Recovery Mode" I ran that command (and I tried this a few times, same result) and it does this:

Code:
c:\nvflash>nvflash --resume --download 8 recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.img
Nvflash started
[resume mode]

...and just sits there. Perhaps I need another command first? I'm not really sure what to do. I've also tried various bct/config commands I've found online with equally unproductive results, but I am not familiar at all with nvflash so I'm basically blindly trying commands. Any help is much appreciated!

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Ok, from the screen showing "NvFlash Recovery Mode" I ran that command (and I tried this a few times, same result) and it does this:

Code:
c:\nvflash>nvflash --resume --download 8 recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.img
Nvflash started
[resume mode]

...and just sits there. Perhaps I need another command first? I'm not really sure what to do. I've also tried various bct/config commands I've found online with equally unproductive results, but I am not familiar at all with nvflash so I'm basically blindly trying commands. Any help is much appreciated!

Well, you're farther along then I ever got with nvflash since my was bootloader locked.
You're doing the right thing. First download the miniboot code, then use '--resume" to write the recovery. Perhaps you need to let it sit for a while before the flash completes? I have no idea how long that takes, but certainly 10-15 minutes should be more than adequate.

Other than that, I'd search the forums for that "--resume --download" command and PM a few people who say they managed to use it.

For nvflash info, see the following:
http://http.download.nvidia.com/tegra-public-appnotes/flashing-tools.html
http://lg-v905r.wikidot.com/nvflash-help

As an alternative, you might just try one command:
nvflash.exe --bl bootloader.bin --download 8 recovery-cwm_4.0.0.4-sam-tab-10.1.img

That's found here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/171...-using-either-11-or-12-based-images-g-tablet/

Good luck!

vladworks

May 21, 2012
Am I perma bricked?

I think I killed my Tab for good...but maybe you guys know a secret I dont know.

I flashed an old recovery using ODIN...it went fine. CMW 4.0 or something.

I tried to flash CM10.1 to no luck due to Status 7 error.

So I flashed the PA ROM 4.2.2 that is popular in this section. It worked for a day and then didnt want to reboot.

I then read that I have an old CMW so I reflashed the lastest one in the CM10.1 thread using Odin. CMW 6.0.3 or so. Odin gave me a pass.

Since it rebooted it then froze and said there were corrupt files.

Since then it would not reboot at all.

I have drained the battery as per this thread and when I plugin I get no battery screen or any sort of response from the unit.

It does charge however because after 30min I can see it doing the USB/apx thing when I try it in the PC again.

Any ideas or is it dead?

Last edited:

i360*

Nov 15, 2011
London
Finally got my tab working again.

For Windows 8 Users;

Installing the drivers will return errors about the driver signatures.

Go to Advanced Windows "Startup Settings" and restart with Option 7 (disables driver checking)

zezam67

Sep 27, 2011
no go

i have drained my battery to the point of not found in devicemanager,,but when try ac in to wall and power and volume-,,it shows nothing at all,,meaning my tab is peace of junk now,,,

muscletone

Jul 29, 2014
Thank You

This may or may not work for most but this worked heavily for my 2 units that had the same issue. One with a broken nvflash, the other that faced a bootloop and never booted up again. Took almost a week and I felt almost all hope was gone because the bloody service centre's refused to accept the unit's as they were not purchased from the region, rather online. Scumbag Samsung :mad:.

[!] This is usually a 90% fix for both broken nvflashes/deep sleep of death, considering you haven't drowned your Tab by now with no hope :D. I ask that you kindly attempt this once if you haven't before you QQ to the nearest Samsung center like I did.

- Drain your tablet

And by all mean's do so, The quickest way to get this done in less than 2 days or so (Depending on the battery percent charged) is to get a clear tape and tape around the power button pressed.

- Testing if you have drained it completely/Taped it right.

Connect the tablet via USB to your PC, make sure you have the NV Driver files [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1130574]

Just install the driver and proceed to the step where it asks about holding down the [Power button] +[ Volume+] and wait for the constant USB connect/disconnect sounds. It also helps to look at Device Manager to see if it still pops up.

When the battery is completely drained it will stop popping up in the device manager, and your ready to go.

MOST IMPORTANT STEP

You have only 1 and only 1 chance per drain to get this done right. Plug it into the socket charger and see if the charging icon should come up, after being fully drained you should see the charge icon should pop up [100% tested and works, this step is annoying but it's the tablet version of taking out the battery and popping it back in] and what ever you do, DON'T BOOT IT UP NORMALLY, instead press [Power Button] + [Volume -] keys and let go when you see the logo to get into fastboot mode.

Select the android buddy with the [Volume +] key and it will boot into Download Mode.

From here on out everything is easy sailing. Get the right firmware and Odin and flash the firmware you require. It doesn't matter what region you are from, the tablet is made to accept any regional firmware BUT the model number should be the same. Which mean's 7500 for 7500 ONLY.

Edit: Since you have only one chance per drain, I suggest you flash a stock firmware rather than flashing CWM to save it, Because CWM would only fix the recovery, It wouldn't fix the damaged bln. The fastest way to get a stock firmware is grabbing the stock firmware from the Overcome thread :D

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for this post. Got me out of a bricking by my girl (If you know what I Mean)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

lordofazeroth

Nov 28, 2010
A question:
I use a rubber band for pressing the power button, did this the last week, but the tablet still keeps coming up in the device manager.
Question:
Do I have to leave the tablet connected to the PC or not?

Is the tablet charging while connected to a PC and continuously entering and exiting nvflash mode?

djmatt604

Aug 1, 2012
Vancity
A question:
I use a rubber band for pressing the power button, did this the last week, but the tablet still keeps coming up in the device manager.
Question:
Do I have to leave the tablet connected to the PC or not?

Is the tablet charging while connected to a PC and continuously entering and exiting nvflash mode?
On a stock kernel I believe usb charging is disabled...if a custom one it's likely that feature is active. Perhaps that explains why the battery isn't draining the way you expect it to...

Sent from my amazing M8

Reactions: lordofazeroth

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This may or may not work for most but this worked heavily for my 2 units that had the same issue. One with a broken nvflash, the other that faced a bootloop and never booted up again. Took almost a week and I felt almost all hope was gone because the bloody service centre's refused to accept the unit's as they were not purchased from the region, rather online. Scumbag Samsung :mad:.

[!] This is usually a 90% fix for both broken nvflashes/deep sleep of death, considering you haven't drowned your Tab by now with no hope :D. I ask that you kindly attempt this once if you haven't before you QQ to the nearest Samsung center like I did.

- Drain your tablet

And by all mean's do so, The quickest way to get this done in less than 2 days or so (Depending on the battery percent charged) is to get a clear tape and tape around the power button pressed.

- Testing if you have drained it completely/Taped it right.

Connect the tablet via USB to your PC, make sure you have the NV Driver files [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1130574]

Just install the driver and proceed to the step where it asks about holding down the [Power button] +[ Volume+] and wait for the constant USB connect/disconnect sounds. It also helps to look at Device Manager to see if it still pops up.

When the battery is completely drained it will stop popping up in the device manager, and your ready to go.

MOST IMPORTANT STEP

You have only 1 and only 1 chance per drain to get this done right. Plug it into the socket charger and see if the charging icon should come up, after being fully drained you should see the charge icon should pop up [100% tested and works, this step is annoying but it's the tablet version of taking out the battery and popping it back in] and what ever you do, DON'T BOOT IT UP NORMALLY, instead press [Power Button] + [Volume -] keys and let go when you see the logo to get into fastboot mode.

Select the android buddy with the [Volume +] key and it will boot into Download Mode.

From here on out everything is easy sailing. Get the right firmware and Odin and flash the firmware you require. It doesn't matter what region you are from, the tablet is made to accept any regional firmware BUT the model number should be the same. Which mean's 7500 for 7500 ONLY.

Edit: Since you have only one chance per drain, I suggest you flash a stock firmware rather than flashing CWM to save it, Because CWM would only fix the recovery, It wouldn't fix the damaged bln. The fastest way to get a stock firmware is grabbing the stock firmware from the Overcome thread :D
    The method described in the OP doesn't involve flashing using nvflash. It is an attempt to get the device to out of whatever low level mode it might be stuck in by draining the battery and hoping it will power up again and reset.

It's nearly impossible to tell what exactly the problem each person had. People haven't been posting much information about how they "bricked" it or what the events were that led to the tablet being stuck in this state. So it's hard to tell what exactly the conditions are that this method might work under.
    Hi, I had a quick question before I send my P7510 in for RMA:

The tablet froze during a TWRP flash of pershoot's 9/01 CM9 experimental build. I had to power it off and now it won't power back on. I've drained it a few times (as far as I can tell) by attaching various USB devices to the USB dongle add-on and tried to get it to show that it was charging by plugging it into the wall A/C charger but unfortunately I haven't had any luck. Just a blank screen and a tablet that won't turn on.

Any advice?

that TWRP recovery, if using samsung's release kernel 3.1, needs to have MMC_CAP_ERASE removed from it. please contact the person who built this to have it rebuilt without this functionality in it.
    On another note, Updated the OP
    There's no way to remove the battery since it's like hardbound inside. Drain it to turn it on sir.

Yeah you should get it plugged via APX mode. Press it for 15 secs both then connect it via USB, After that you can hold it down via tape, the power button only.