[q] urgent help with sony xperia z ultra

Search This thread

migoortiz

Feb 25, 2014
Hi everyone, so i recently acquired a Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6833 from my cousin before he left for europe.

Naturally, i wanted to restore it to its factory settings so I could start clean with the phone.
The problem is. I can't seem to do it
My cousin has a lock screen pattern on the unit and I don't know what it is, I asked him and he said he already forgot what it is, nor did he set up any recovery questions or an e-mail to unlock the phone. (I already tried this avenue and I am all but certain that this isn't the way to go, please bear with me and don't offer suggestions based on trying to unlock based on the pattern)

I searched online on how to reset the phone to factory setting without having access to the menu. (I had thought that all Android phones had this feature by pressing combinations of physical buttons). However none have worked.

1. I've tried pressing and long pressing the "red" hard reset button near where you insert the SIM and microSD card, I long-pressed it while the phone was open and all it does is shut down, and it does nothing when the phone is turned off.

2. I've shut the phone off, and tried opening it using different combinations of volume keys and power button.
a. I tried holding down both volume and power buttons for long periods of time. Nothing happens.
b. I tried holding down the volume up button as well as the power button. Again, nothing happens.
c. I tried holding down the volume down button as well as the power button. The phone starts in Safe Mode, whereupon I cant do anything there anyway since I can't unlock the lock screen pattern in the first place.

3. I downloaded PC companion in my PC and was going to try to use System Update / Repair on it. But THE PC WONT DETECT THE PHONE. I assumed it was because I didn't have the drivers for the phone, so I downloaded the drivers online within a zip file but all it has is a bunch of .inf and .cat files which I dont know how to execute. So I cant connect the phone the PC at all because i dont know how to install the drivers that will enable the PHONE to be detected by PC Companion.

I really need help and really want this phone to work and for me to use it. However, I just cant seem to restore it to its factory settings given that I cant unlock the freaking phone pattern. :( :crying::crying::crying:

Thanks in advance guys and any help will be highly appreciated!

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
- Download Flashtool (on your computer)
- Download a TFT (firmware) here at XDA
- Kick the phone into flashmode by holding VOL DOWN while you connect it to your computer
- Flash the TFT in Flashtool and 5 minutes later you're good to go.

This won't void your warranty btw.

I'm on mobile right now, so I can't bother sharing links, but I can do it when I'm on a computer (but you should easily handle that task yourself :p)

Any questions?

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

migoortiz

Feb 25, 2014
Questions

- Download Flashtool (on your computer)
- Download a TFT (firmware) here at XDA
- Kick the phone into flashmode by holding VOL DOWN while you connect it to your computer
- Flash the TFT in Flashtool and 5 minutes later you're good to go.

This won't void your warranty btw.

I'm on mobile right now, so I can't bother sharing links, but I can do it when I'm on a computer (but you should easily handle that task yourself :p)

Any questions?

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Hi! First of all, thanks for the response.
A couple of questions though...

I've downloaded the flashtool (this is Emma right?)

Could you give me a link to a valid TFT? I'm not sure which to download, I'm from the Philippines and I need the TFT that connects to the playstore and all that (perhaps just the stock ROM?)

Also i've read that I need to unlock the bootloader for this method to work? Problem is, I can't seem to find out how to do this or even if my phone is viable. I've tried inputting *#*#7378423#*#* in the emergency call menu but nothing happens

*EDIT* Okay I connected the phone to emma and found out that the bootloader is still locked. Need help on how to do this. :(

Again, big thanks in advance!:confused:

Last edited:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand

Could you give me a link to a valid TFT? I'm not sure which to download, I'm from the Philippines and I need the TFT that connects to the playstore and all that (perhaps just the stock ROM?)

Also i've read that I need to unlock the bootloader for this method to work? Problem is, I can't seem to find out how to do this or even if my phone is viable. I've tried inputting *#*#7378423#*#* in the emergency call menu but nothing happens

*EDIT* Okay I connected the phone to emma and found out that the bootloader is still locked. Need help on how to do this. :(

DON'T RUSH, slow down

You dont need to unlock the bootloader to flash FTFs, and they can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2453921

I've not used emma, we all use flashtool http://www.flashtool.net/download.php

Reactions: migoortiz

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
No, you don't have to unlock the bootloader. You only need to do that if you're going to flash a custom (CM11, PAC, GPe) ROM.

- Download Flashtool and follow the installation guide (be sure to install the drivers)
- Download an FTF from here (this one will work just fine)
- Put the FTF where you installed Flashtool (C:/Flashtool/firmwares)
- Connect your Ultra to your computer
- Open Flashtool. It should say "Device connected" etc.
- Click the "Lightning bolt" icon
- Choose the firmware from the list to the left
- Hit "Flash"
- Follow the steps on screen

Tip:

- Flashmode = Turn your Ultra OFF. Hold VOLUME DOWN when you connect it to the computer. You will se a short burst from the LED, but it won't stay on.
- Fastboot = Turn your Ultra OFF. Hold VOLUME UP when you connect it to the computer. You will see a blue LED.

Reactions: migoortiz

migoortiz

Feb 25, 2014
thanks!

DON'T RUSH, slow down

You dont need to unlock the bootloader to flash FTFs, and they can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2453921

No, you don't have to unlock the bootloader. You only need to do that if you're going to flash a custom (CM11, PAC, GPe) ROM.

- Download Flashtool and follow the installation guide (be sure to install the drivers)
- Hit "Flash"

Tip:

- Flashmode = Turn your Ultra OFF. Hold VOLUME DOWN when you connect it to the computer. You will se a short burst from the LED, but it won't stay on.
- Fastboot = Turn your Ultra OFF. Hold VOLUME UP when you connect it to the computer. You will see a blue LED.

Guys, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Sorry if i'm a bit jumpy with this stuff. haha I'll be trying this within the next day and I'll update you!:fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DON'T RUSH, slow down

- Hit "Flash"

Tip: