How To Partition SD Card With Ubuntu For Dummies

Search This thread
How To Partition SD Card With Ubuntu For Dummies.

This guide will help people with partitioning their sd card using Ubuntu (Linux Live CD). You can make your Fat32, ext2/3, and linux_swap partitions. The software is free and you do not need to install anything. These instructions should be easy to understand but if anyone still has any questions feel free to ask.

What is needed:
* A computer
* Ubuntu
* Blank CD-R
* Software to burn a .iso image
* G1 or a card reader

1. Go to www.ubuntu.com and download Ubuntu 9.04.

2. Once downloaded you will have a .iso file so you will need a burning software capable of burning .iso files. I use nero but you can use whatever you like. There is other free software you can download to burn the file like www.freeisoburner.com.

3. Now that ubuntu is burned to a disc we can boot it up. Place the disc into the cd tray and turn off the computer.

4. Turn on the computer. When the computer starts up the very first loading screen where you see Dell/Compaq/HP/etc. (the same screen where you would hit f8 to go into safe mode) hit f12 to go into boot mode. Once your boot menu appears select your cd drive. Some computers will boot the cd right away when hitting f12.

5. When the cd boots up it will ask you to select your language. After that it will ask you if you want to try Ubuntu without installing. Hit enter on that option so you won't install anything. Ubuntu will then load.

screenshotu.png

6. Put your sd card in the reader or connect your G1 to the computer and mount it.

7. At the top of the screen click System > Administrator > Partitioner Editor. And then Gparted will open up.

8. Click the drop down box to select your sd card. (NOTE - make sure to select your card and not your computer hard drive. Easy way to tell is if you have a 8 gig card choose the one that is 8 gigs. Common Sense)

9. Your sd card will now be displayed. If you already had it partitioned you will see the partitions. Or if it is a brand new card it will say unallocated.

screenshot1lpw.png

10. If you already have a partition or partitions on it right click each partition and choose unmount. Do that for every partition until you see the keys gone beside the partitions.

screenshot2b.png

11. Right click every partition and choose delete until all partitions are gone and it says unallocated.

screenshot3d.png

12. Right click unallocated and choose new.

13. A box will appear to create your first partition. Create your Fat32 partition first. Click the drop down box and click Fat32. Choose the size you want to make it (I just subtract 1000 from the number to save for my ext partition). And leave it as primary. Now click apply.

screenshot4hab.png

14. You will now see your Fat32 partition and unallocated.

14. Right click unallocated again and choose new.

15. This time we will set up our ext partition. Click the drop down box and choose ext2 or ext3. You can leave the size alone and make sure it is also on primary. Click apply.

screenshot5jug.png

16. If you are wanting to you can create the linux_swap partition to but it is not necessary.

screenshot8f.png

17. You are now back at the box with Fat32, ext2/3, linux_swap and unallocated. Now click apply. A confirmation box will appear and click apply again.

screenshot9h.png

18. It will format your card and then you are done.

screenshot10o.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot12w.png

19. You can now click the power icon in the upper right hand corner to turn off Ubuntu and restart into windows.

Pinesal

Jan 28, 2009
Great guide.

This works great off the liveCD but when I install Ubuntu, Gparted doesn't install with it. How come?

A

AdrianK

I made a guide just like this a few hours ago but decided not to post it as someone had probably already made one :p Oh well, yours is a little more detailed.

Just remember, there's no need for a wasted CD. You can make a live usb with unetbootin ;)

Btw, I'm really curious why everyone is making massive ext partitions! I would have thought 2/300mb would be enough for most people. I don't know nay apps bigger than 6mb, and most are < 1mb...

Last edited:

c_low29

Mar 28, 2009
Miami, FL
everytime i try and boot from cd(second one made) it loads up fine but then it goes to a screen with a bunch of flashing colors. I am booting without installing. Any suggestions

pshadey

Mar 4, 2009
Texas ya'll
nice thread: this would have been really useful yesterday.. i spent hours trying to figure it... and finally got it then found this....never the less thank you

Strapt

May 1, 2009
ok here is a question I have Ubuntu on a VMWare virtual computer and also a Ubuntu 9 x64 (newest version as of yesterday) Live CD.

Now when I plug my phone or sdcard with reader it WILL show both the Fat32 AND the ext2 partions while running it on the virtual machine thru VMWare.

BUT

When I use that Live CD it will NOT mount/show the Ext2 partiton only the Fat32. Even though it doesnt show the ext2 mounted I can STILL edit it thru the gparted program. Which is nice to be able to modify the partitions BUT I cant access any files on the ext2 partition :(

sooo why is it that I cannot access my ext2 partition from the live CD regardless of if its thru the phone USB or through the card reader, but can from the virtual machine?

kylelipp

Mar 9, 2009
Tennessee
@pinesal et al

In 8.10 Appilications > Add/Remove > Search: gparted > install Gnome Partition Editor

Ubuntu for some reason doesnt install GParted when istalling the os(maybe they think you won't need it after the initial partitioning to install ubuntu)

Good Luck.

Another Good choice for Live CD or USB is Crunchbang, it's fast, really small OS and it has live stats for your pc integrated into the desktop. :p

i made sure to install it to a cd not dvd and it does this to me.

How far does it load and what do you see? What are the specs on your computer? I seen some people had your problem due to there graphics card. When you run the lived cd you can hit f4 and try to run it in a lower resolution. What kind of graphics card you have?

Last edited:

drewno1

Jun 19, 2009
Greenock
Really great Post haha

could have been doing with this post a week ago haha

never the less

well done poster and thank you ;)

PoPpiLLs

Mar 16, 2009
You should use aptitude instead of apt-get open a command prompt and type :

sudo aptitude install gparted

c_low29

Mar 28, 2009
Miami, FL
How far does it load and what do you see? What are the specs on your computer? I seen some people had your problem due to there graphics card. When you run the lived cd you can hit f4 and try to run it in a lower resolution. What kind of graphics card you have?

yah my graphics card can defeinetly handle it( NeVidia GForce 7300 LE)
it shows me a bunch of tiny little green and blue squares

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How To Partition SD Card With Ubuntu For Dummies.

This guide will help people with partitioning their sd card using Ubuntu (Linux Live CD). You can make your Fat32, ext2/3, and linux_swap partitions. The software is free and you do not need to install anything. These instructions should be easy to understand but if anyone still has any questions feel free to ask.

What is needed:
    * A computer
    * Ubuntu
    * Blank CD-R
    * Software to burn a .iso image
    * G1 or a card reader

1. Go to www.ubuntu.com and download Ubuntu 9.04.

2. Once downloaded you will have a .iso file so you will need a burning software capable of burning .iso files. I use nero but you can use whatever you like. There is other free software you can download to burn the file like www.freeisoburner.com.

3. Now that ubuntu is burned to a disc we can boot it up. Place the disc into the cd tray and turn off the computer.

4. Turn on the computer. When the computer starts up the very first loading screen where you see Dell/Compaq/HP/etc. (the same screen where you would hit f8 to go into safe mode) hit f12 to go into boot mode. Once your boot menu appears select your cd drive. Some computers will boot the cd right away when hitting f12.

5. When the cd boots up it will ask you to select your language. After that it will ask you if you want to try Ubuntu without installing. Hit enter on that option so you won't install anything. Ubuntu will then load.

screenshotu.png

6. Put your sd card in the reader or connect your G1 to the computer and mount it.

7. At the top of the screen click System > Administrator > Partitioner Editor. And then Gparted will open up.

8. Click the drop down box to select your sd card. (NOTE - make sure to select your card and not your computer hard drive. Easy way to tell is if you have a 8 gig card choose the one that is 8 gigs. Common Sense)

9. Your sd card will now be displayed. If you already had it partitioned you will see the partitions. Or if it is a brand new card it will say unallocated.

screenshot1lpw.png

10. If you already have a partition or partitions on it right click each partition and choose unmount. Do that for every partition until you see the keys gone beside the partitions.

screenshot2b.png

11. Right click every partition and choose delete until all partitions are gone and it says unallocated.

screenshot3d.png

12. Right click unallocated and choose new.

13. A box will appear to create your first partition. Create your Fat32 partition first. Click the drop down box and click Fat32. Choose the size you want to make it (I just subtract 1000 from the number to save for my ext partition). And leave it as primary. Now click apply.

screenshot4hab.png

14. You will now see your Fat32 partition and unallocated.

14. Right click unallocated again and choose new.

15. This time we will set up our ext partition. Click the drop down box and choose ext2 or ext3. You can leave the size alone and make sure it is also on primary. Click apply.

screenshot5jug.png

16. If you are wanting to you can create the linux_swap partition to but it is not necessary.

screenshot8f.png

17. You are now back at the box with Fat32, ext2/3, linux_swap and unallocated. Now click apply. A confirmation box will appear and click apply again.

screenshot9h.png

18. It will format your card and then you are done.

screenshot10o.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot12w.png

19. You can now click the power icon in the upper right hand corner to turn off Ubuntu and restart into windows.