[RECOVERY][NABI2] TWRP 2.3.3.0, 2.8.5.0 testing

Search This thread

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
This is an update to the TWRP recovery for the Nabi 2.

TWRPnabi.png

At this point this recovery is still considered in testing. The normal disclaimers apply. Have a good backup moved to your computer from the previous recovery.
Before starting this your Nabi should be updated to 1.9.37. 2 people that have 1.9.34 - (Madagascar Bundle) and 1.9.35 or 1.9.36 - (UK Versions) were having issues.

Please check your version in Settings-About Tablet-Product version, it needs to be 1.9.37 currently, other tablet versions besides 1.9.37 are experimental see below.

This is for Nabi 2
Nabi JR 4GB is HERE
NabiXD is HERE
Nabi JR 16GB is HERE
If you have Nick/Disney read up about different build for those.

Updates

Mar 15th 2015

TWRP 2.8.5.0 KK and JB http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59452953&postcount=2592

2.7.1.0 http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54972620&postcount=105

Jan 9th 2013
-Change to symlinked partition structure in recovery.fstab as we have found some Nabi's may have different structure
-Added Nabi Kernel version to TWRP screen for easier troubleshooting
-Added Nabi logo in place of Android(just for fun)

Initial
-Latest TWRP 2.3.3.0
-Changed to the prebuilt kernel from Nabi 1.9.37
-Fixed touch issues with some tablets with previous recovery(still testing this)

For more information on TWRP and change log see the TeamWin Website

Download

There are 5 downloads provided. The first is an installer for those less comfortable with the command line, it can install either version of TWRP, and restore the stock recovery if you are updating or returning Nabi to stock. The second two are for people that just want TWRP 2.3.3.0 and can do a manual install. The final two are the last 2.3.3.0 with static partitions should you need to revert.

Auto Installer

Recovery Installer for Nabi(Recovery installer for both old and new kernel TWRP 2.3.3.0, TWRP 2.2.2.1, and STOCK recovery) Use install method 1

Current recovery.img

TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi 1.9.37(Only TWRP 2.3.3.0, manual install, this is what you should be trying to use) Use install method 2 or 3

TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi for versions less then 1.9.37(Only TWRP 2.3.3.0, manual install, EXPERIMENTAL, older Nabi kernel if not working with above) Use install method 2 or 3

Older recovery recovery.img

TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi 1.9.37(Only TWRP 2.3.3.0, manual install, this is what you should be trying to use) Use install method 2 or 3

TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi for versions less then 1.9.37(Only TWRP 2.3.3.0, manual install, EXPERIMENTAL, older Nabi kernel if not working with above) Use install method 2 or 3

Installation

-Method 1 (Recommended install , guided installer)

-Download "Recovery Installer for Nabi" from above
-Extract TWRPinstaller.zip
-Run RecoveryUpdater.bat
Code:
Select option 1 for a Nabi on 1.9.37 and follow directions
Select option 2 for a Nabi not 1.9.37 (UK 1.9.35 or 1.9.36 or Madagascar 1.9.34)
Select option 3 to go back to 2.2.2.1 recovery if option 1 or 2 do not work
Select option 4 to return your Nabi to stock recovery after restoring stock ROM

-Method 2 (manual temporary install, will keep your current recovery)

-Download "TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi" or "TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi for versions less then 1.9.37" for your version
-Extract recovery.img from TWRPrecovery(2).zip to your adb directory
-From a command prompt in your adb directory
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot boot recovery.img

-Method 3 (manual permanent install, will overwrite your current recovery)

-Download "TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi" or "TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi for versions less then 1.9.37" for your version
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Other

Device source https://github.com/aicjofs/android_device_fuhu_mt799
TWRP source https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/

Credits
TeamWin team for TWRP.
Dees_Troy for build tutorials.
jmztaylor for the device code to work from.

Last edited:

katinatez

Mar 17, 2011
Anyone want to guinea pig a TWRP build I made?

It's version 2.3.3.0 with the latest Nabi kernel. I don't think it will fix touchscreen issues but worth a try. EDIT: Some early results are indicating it is fixing touchscreen issues.

You can try it without installing it permanently

extract recovery.img from TWRPrecovery.zip to your adb directory
adb reboot-bootloader

That won't put it on the device just boot it to ram and you will maintain your current TWRP after a reboot. To make it survive reboot obviously you would need to

http://home.comcast.net/~aicjofs/TWRPrecovery.zip

Tried your recovery, all I could say it's perfect. Touch screen in TWRP recovery is 100%. Have ben plagued with the touch screen error in recovery prior to aicjofs latest 2.3.3.0 TWRP recovery.

jmztaylor, aicjofs, t499user, e2950 deserve the XDA Nabi 2 award. Have owned the tablet maybe 3 weeks, in that time was able to restore from soft brick, get a working gapps witout 'Android Upgrading", and new updated 2.3.3.0 TWRP recovery. Got to Love XDA community.

All we need now is our own forum :laugh:

Sent from my GT-I9300

Reactions: DarkLordH@ck

Eric Karz

Oct 30, 2012
+ 1 on all that above
+ i wanted a updated version -
+ thank you
ps: *MY* nabi box says "ages 4-to 40" i think no matter what the age is
they all going to be happy with all this cool stuff.

Eric Karz

Oct 30, 2012
maybe its just me and i noticed today that i can not get in to Fast boot unless usb is plugged in.

anyone else getting the same ?

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I have 2 responses from people where this version has touchscreen issues. It is for a 1.9.36(UK Version) and what I believe is a 1.9.34(Madagascar version) I updated the OP but it looks like you should only be using this on 1.9.37 right now.

maybe its just me and i noticed today that i can not get in to Fast boot unless usb is plugged in.

anyone else getting the same ?

I always have usb plugged in so I never noticed.

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
aicjofs are you doing a CWM recovery for the nabi 2?

I did a CWM for the Nabi. Everything worked except I was having a hard time mounting the /sdcard properly. The internal sdcard as we know it is actually in /data/media(so it's on the data partition), I was able to manually "mount" it(symlink) through shell, but I couldn't make it auto mount. I'm sure it's something simple through init.rc or something but I couldn't get it working right to mount at boot time. On a side note to that, since it's on the data partition care has to be made that if the data partition is wiped that the sdcard is moved off and then back. I'm not sure if CWM does that with a loop device or something, just moves it or what, but it's dangerous. Lot's of devices have it set up this way so I think it would be accounted for, but I know TWRP accounts for it. I'm not sure extendcommand was working correctly either, it appeared to, but log was complaining about it. As it was I had early feedback that new TWRP was fixing touchscreen issues so I put it on back burner, as part of the reason for even building CWM was for those that had touchscreen issues. Only real change was to the BoardConfig.mk for BOARD_HAS_NO_SELECT_BUTTON to make CWM "function" less mounting problems.

Now I'm trying to decide if we are better using /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name in the recovery.fstab for those Nabi's with different partition structure. jmztaylor was kind enough to give me his ear and I think we should do tegra by name. No reason we shouldn't have one TWRP version, 2 at most. Once I get TWRP working for all Nabi versions for sure, I will probably revisit it.

Last edited:

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Updated to symlink partitions for Nabi's that have been found that might contain a different partition structure.
Nabi kernel version added for easier troubleshooting
Nabi logo

Eric Karz

Oct 30, 2012
Test Report

I was able to use the nabi lab but i must admit i had problems
the first was adb\adb.exe start-server stays on when not even using the program. the problem that this caused for me is just way to much to type ...lol

so i added adb\adb.exe kill-server at the bottom of the bat file so it looks like this
:Main_7
adb\adb.exe kill-server
EXIT

The next one i uninstalled pdanet

2nd (Probably the most important step) the install of drivers "android_winusb.inf"
this one is not anything new to me
"right click and install' and i got "The INF file you selected does not support this method".
So my work around was to install it manually.
Now in the Device Manager i see Samsung phone with "Fuhu Nabi 2 ADB Interface" in it (Q is this what we suppose to see?)

3 is a question
after also installing the driver in this state . i see in the device manager Samsung phone with "google galxy nexus ADB Interface" (Q is that correct?)
I ask because i can also change it to " Fuhu Nabi 2 BootLoader Interface "
Both work
4 Suggestion
Make a built in test for both modes before proceeding
1) press to make sure you can boot to bootloader mode
Stop here if it didn't work
2) press to make tablet Reboot (when in bootloader mode)
IF its a success you can proceed to the next option .
thanks for the hard work you are doing , Much thanks

Last edited:

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I was able to use the nabi lab but i must admit i had problems
the first was adb\adb.exe start-server stays on when not even using the program. the problem that this caused for me is just way to much to type ...lol

so i added adb\adb.exe kill-server at the bottom of the bat file so it looks like this
adb\adb.exe kill-server
EXIT

The next one i uninstalled pdanet

2nd (Probably the most important step) the install of drivers "android_winusb.inf"
this one is not anything new to me
"right click and install' and i got "The INF file you selected does not support this method".
So my work around was to install it manually.
Now in the Device Manager i see Samsung phone with "Fuhu Nabi 2 ADB Interface" in it (Q is this what we suppose to see?)

3 is a question
after also installing the driver in this state . i see in the device manager Samsung phone with "google galxy nexus ADB Interface" (Q is that correct?)
I ask because i can also change it to " Fuhu Nabi 2 BootLoader Interface "
Both work
4 Suggestion
Make a built in test for both modes before proceeding
1) press to make sure you can boot to bootloader mode
Stop here if it didn't work
2) press to make tablet Reboot (when in bootloader mode)
IF its a success you can proceed to the next option .
thanks for the hard work you are doing , Much thanks

Ok I really need to make a thread for Nabi Lab. :) Was that a hint? haha. Excellent feedback as always.

1. Yes you are correct that it should be added. I will add it.

adb\adb.exe kill-server
EXIT

2. What version of windows are you using? Also 32bit or 64bit? I had no issues with 7 and 8 64 bit after disabling windows driver signature enforcement, are you sure it took the "disable driver signature enforcement" after the reboot? That's the only thing that I know that would cause that. XP worked but I did manual mode as you did while testing. It's a modified Samsung driver so it might display that.

3. Also possibly related to the above. However I don't think so... It's possible that installing PDA net doesn't remove driver store/inf(depending on windows version). For example on Windows 7 open /windows/system32/driverstore/filerepository and search for "android" there is likely extra ones. So it just reinstalled the PDA net one. It should say Fuhu Nabi 2, so I think you are using the old driver. Both drivers are so you see the option for Nabi labelled one. You would have to unisntall in device manager and then remove all of android infs. Then reinstall.

4. Useful feature. That's not too hard to add since it detects the mode based off of it can run the getprop command. Give me an example when you would want it to do this so I can add it logically. Just really adding "fastboot reboot" and detecting. Are you thinking automatic detection like refreshing on it own?

Thanks for the feedback. You were already credited in the readme, but maybe you need some more credit ;)

Last edited:

Eric Karz

Oct 30, 2012
nabilab.bat

what ya think ?
line 137
explorer.exe .\driver
to
%windir%\explorer.exe .\driver
plus it seem to be the only way it works for me ...lol

i did at one time have some changes in my windows enviroment variables
but i think i changed it back .

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
what ya think ?
line 137
explorer.exe .\driver
to
%windir%\explorer.exe .\driver
plus it seem to be the only way it works for me ...lol

i did at one time have some changes in my windows enviroment variables
but i think i changed it back .

Will that even be necessary if we go with the driver.bat you posted integrated in to the main bat file? I have been busy with my job last few days but I was able to run it in a few environments and it was working. The driver works, Im just working for an experience where anyone that can click a mouse/use a keyboard can install it. I think the PDAnet one is messy, that program even installs the apk to your tablet. Nonetheless the driver from a fundemental standpoint is the most important part, even if most people already have some functional driver. I want to get the driver cleaned up and the 2 known typos(although the 2nd might not be necessary if the driver install changes)

If I get those fixed make a Nabi Lab thread and work on ideas people have or want to see. Since you have been over the code what do you think of my hack job? Haha. Just notepad, not even notepad++, let alone a proper sciprting editor, I just kept adding stuff, it started as a simple recovery installer and then I got sloppy, and my variables and calls are a mess and named ridiculous. Kind of embarrassing. I haven't written that much code from scratch in 20 years, most of the time you have a base and can just work from there. That driver you linked gave me an idea of adding color to highlight errors and important parts, mostly cosmetic. For line by line color changes I have to use chgcolor and echoj. Easy enough to add to the download but changing all the echos is a tone of work.

I hope you know I appreciate your contributions.

Last edited:

Eric Karz

Oct 30, 2012
opps my bad - forgetting the part about adding it to the main bat file .
just getting nabi lab to work for every one that uses it is the main goal.
code always has to start some place - i am sure as time goes on people will recommend things to to it.
the color in the Install bat was just to wake you up and watch what you are doing.
here is a example of something my brain skips over - Even though its proper and must be read in order to achive the goal
“Then hit VOL - until Recovery Kernel is selected
My brain only wants to hit vol 1 time haha
my brain should tell me to keep pressing Vol - until I see “Recovery Kernel” selected.

Eric Karz

Oct 30, 2012
I see that Twrp is up to 2.4.0.0
Is there anything that nabi 2 users would benifit from it ?

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Using libtar instead of busybox's tar for better control over tar file creation and breaking the 2GB barrier that busybox imposes (thanks to bigbiff)
Support for exFAT formatted sdcards (also thanks to bigbiff)
Support for decrypting Samsung TouchWiz encrypted devices including internal and external storage (special thanks to a3955269 for figuring it out)
Improvements to OpenRecoveryScript including displaying a proper GUI while the script is running
Added wipe cache and dalvik after ADB Sideload
Replaced many system calls with their native C counterparts
Fixed bugs in file manager where it would display an empty list after moving or deleting a folder
Fixed AOSP recovery commands to run after decryption on encrypted devices
Improvements for building TWRP in CM10.1
Other minor bugfixes and improvements

Seems interesting, I'll see about making a test build sometime this week unless someone beats me to it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an update to the TWRP recovery for the Nabi 2.

TWRPnabi.png

At this point this recovery is still considered in testing. The normal disclaimers apply. Have a good backup moved to your computer from the previous recovery.
    Before starting this your Nabi should be updated to 1.9.37. 2 people that have 1.9.34 - (Madagascar Bundle) and 1.9.35 or 1.9.36 - (UK Versions) were having issues.

Please check your version in Settings-About Tablet-Product version, it needs to be 1.9.37 currently, other tablet versions besides 1.9.37 are experimental see below.

This is for Nabi 2
    Nabi JR 4GB is HERE
    NabiXD is HERE
    Nabi JR 16GB is HERE
    If you have Nick/Disney read up about different build for those.

Updates

Mar 15th 2015

TWRP 2.8.5.0 KK and JB http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59452953&postcount=2592

2.7.1.0 http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54972620&postcount=105

Jan 9th 2013
    -Change to symlinked partition structure in recovery.fstab as we have found some Nabi's may have different structure
    -Added Nabi Kernel version to TWRP screen for easier troubleshooting
    -Added Nabi logo in place of Android(just for fun)

Initial
    -Latest TWRP 2.3.3.0
    -Changed to the prebuilt kernel from Nabi 1.9.37
    -Fixed touch issues with some tablets with previous recovery(still testing this)

For more information on TWRP and change log see the TeamWin Website

Download

There are 5 downloads provided. The first is an installer for those less comfortable with the command line, it can install either version of TWRP, and restore the stock recovery if you are updating or returning Nabi to stock. The second two are for people that just want TWRP 2.3.3.0 and can do a manual install. The final two are the last 2.3.3.0 with static partitions should you need to revert.

Auto Installer

Recovery Installer for Nabi(Recovery installer for both old and new kernel TWRP 2.3.3.0, TWRP 2.2.2.1, and STOCK recovery) Use install method 1

Current recovery.img

Older recovery recovery.img

Installation

-Method 1 (Recommended install , guided installer)

-Download "Recovery Installer for Nabi" from above
    -Extract TWRPinstaller.zip
    -Run RecoveryUpdater.bat
    Code:
    Select option 1 for a Nabi on 1.9.37 and follow directions
    Select option 2 for a Nabi not 1.9.37 (UK 1.9.35 or 1.9.36 or Madagascar 1.9.34)
    Select option 3 to go back to 2.2.2.1 recovery if option 1 or 2 do not work
    Select option 4 to return your Nabi to stock recovery after restoring stock ROM

-Method 2 (manual temporary install, will keep your current recovery)

Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

-Method 3 (manual permanent install, will overwrite your current recovery)

Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

Other

Device source https://github.com/aicjofs/android_device_fuhu_mt799
    TWRP source https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/

Credits
    TeamWin team for TWRP.
    Dees_Troy for build tutorials.
    jmztaylor for the device code to work from.
    TWRP 2.5.0.0 for Nabi2

What's new in TWRP 2.5.0.0

-Added scrollable partition lists for mount, backup, restore, wipe, and storage selection
    -Add new SliderValue GUI element for selecting brightness and screen timeout (thanks to Tassadar)
    -Re-work AOSP and TWRP code to improve license compatibility between GPL and Apache
    -Added official theme for 1080x1920 portrait devices (HTC One m7, HTC DNA, HTC Butterfly, Oppo Find 5, Sony Xperia Z, etc)
    -Fixed a problem with directory permissions on split archive backups (backups usually restored with no app data)
    -Fixed a problem with md5 verification of backups
    -Added a search function to libtar (thanks to kokotas)
    -Improve handling of XML errors (fix permissions)
    -Fixed handling of subpartitions
    -Improvements to recovery.fstab flags
    -Fixed a problem with decryption not being able to locate the decryption key in some situations

Nabi specific: Theme change required for 2.5.0.0

Download
    TWRP 2.4.4 for Nabi2

What's new in 2.4.4.0:

Added another libtar hardlink workaround to fix restore of some backups (usually related to Ubuntu Touch)
    More fixes for the file selector
    Switched from using busybox md5sum to a direct C function call
    Fixed capturing the exit status of tar based backups/restore - TWRP will display that there was an error if there was one again
    Update exFAT to latest commits
    Added a build flag to disable using the ioctl for screen blanking

Nabi2 specific: Theme change, new Kernel based on Nabi v2.0.5

TWRP 2.4.4.0 Download

TWRPnabi244.png

TWRPnabi244lock.png
    What's new in 2.6.3.0:

Proper backup and restore of SELinux contexts (thanks to Tassadar)
    Pull in some ROM information for backup name generation
    Merge all recent patches from AOSP bringing TWRP up to date with Android 4.3
    Add 1200x1920 theme (thanks to Tassadar)
    A few other fixes and tweaks

Nabi Specific:

Changed external storage name to MicroSD card.
    Added ability to backup /addon partition
    Added ability to adjust screen brightness

TWRP 2.6.3.0 (ICS)
    TWRP 2.6.3.0 Disney/Nick Edition (JB)
    TWRP 2.6.3.0 Original (JB)
    There is a TWRP 2.6.3.0 out there but it's a bit too new so we will go with 2.6.1.0, note the bug fixes for permissions and compressed backups, might be wise to make a new backup.

What's new in 2.6.1.0:

Initial SELinux support (only a few devices, need testers so come by IRC if your device doesn't have it and needs it)
    Initial support for f2fs file system formatting (Moto X)
    Update SuperSU install for 4.3 ROMs
    Fixed a permissions bug on files created during backup
    Fixed a bug that caused TWRP to not wait for compressed backups to finish causing 0 byte files and md5sums to not match
    Fixed decryption of encrypted data so that both TouchWiz and AOSP decryption are possible
    Ignore lost+found folder during backup and size calculations
    Various other minor bug fixes and tweaks

Nabi Specific:

Kernel for 2.1.27

TWRP 2.6.1.0 Download