|Guide|How-To| Root & Install Custom Recovery for 4.3 / 4.4 Update |16 July 2014 |

Search This thread

upndwn4par

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
|Guide|How-To| Root & Install Custom Recovery for 4.3 / 4.4 Update |16 July 2014 |

Warning: Following any of these instructions will void your warranty, and could possibly cause irreparable harm to your device (i.e. bricked). If you do not understand these risks, stop here and do not proceed. If you do not know how to use Odin, stop here and do not proceed. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. YOU chose to follow this guide.

If you have not updated to 4.3, go here.

If you have not updated to 4.4, go here.

Finally, there is no guarantee that either method will work for you.

Root Method #1:
The first thing you should try is CF-Autoroot since this has worked for many users.

If you successfully root with this method, you can simply install Goo Manager or ROM Manager and install recovery.

This method failed for me after many attempts.

Edit:
Here is some potentially useful info for root method #1 from ansonantonym.

Root Method #2:
1) Reboot in to download mode
2) Flash TWRP with Odin via PDA
3) Reboot to recovery then flash SuperSu and the Knox Remover
4) Reboot
5) Download SuperSu from the Play Store
6) Open SuperSu and update the binary when prompted
7) Reboot
8) Enjoy rooted 4.3/4/4

Downloads:
Odin

TWRP (Odin flashable tar)

SuperSu (v1.65)

SuperSu (v2.01)

DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0

If you found another method that worked for you, please post here so that others may benefit.

If you are uncertain about any of the steps above, please ask your questions here before proceeding.

Please be sure to thank Chainfire, Dees_Troy, and Kaito95.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-22-19-59-55.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-22-19-59-55.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 7,240
  • Screenshot_2013-11-22-19-59-18.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-22-19-59-18.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 6,793
  • Screenshot_2013-11-22-19-59-31.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-22-19-59-31.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 6,220
Last edited:

jeremyds45

Aug 29, 2013
Noob here, first off I unrooted a while ago, then took the ota 4.3, is the bootloader locked? Cause according to the cf auto root site if your bootloader is locked you'll probably brick your phone if you flash the auto root? Also do these steps have to be in order? I tried rooting by other means and installing supersu first, wouldn't work so I removed knox with the script, and then updated supersu in the play store and still nothing, can I try to flash cf auto root now and then update supersu in the play store? Thanks a million, need this thing rooted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

upndwn4par

Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
Noob here, first off I unrooted a while ago, then took the ota 4.3, is the bootloader locked? Cause according to the cf auto root site if your bootloader is locked you'll probably brick your phone if you flash the auto root? Also do these steps have to be in order? I tried rooting by other means and installing supersu first, wouldn't work so I removed knox with the script, and then updated supersu in the play store and still nothing, can I try to flash cf auto root now and then update supersu in the play store? Thanks a million, need this thing rooted

Well, I'm not bricked, so I think that answers your question about the bootloader.

Do you have a custom recovery installed? I assume so since you say you flashed the Knox remover script. If you do have a custom recovery installed, just flash the SuperSu zip, then update in the Play Store.

jeremyds45

Aug 29, 2013
Well, I'm not bricked, so I think that answers your question about the bootloader.

Do you have a custom recovery installed? I assume so since you say you flashed the Knox remover script. If you do have a custom recovery installed, just flash the SuperSu zip, then update in the Play Store.

Ah it is so nice to have root again... Thank you so much for putting up with a noob.

Crazy events of a noob that lead me to root

Installed ota 4.3
Tried to root and install superuser by odin and then custom recovery to flash
Root didn't happen because of knox
Could only get to CWM custom recovery if it was right after odin and battery pull?...
Flashed the script to remove knox, which did remove knox
Tried the same root method as above and no root access
Tried supersu and then updating in play with no success
Changed security update settings etc nothing
Reset delvik, cache, permissions, etc nothing
Different root method and files for odin, and custom recovery stuck
Used files from this thread, went into custom recovery and flashed supersu
Installed supersu from play store...
Updated the binary using custom recovery
Rebooted...
ROOT access, all root applications work fine and root sticks even after reboots

I never messed with cf auto root method

THANK you guys for your time effort and sharing, helps noobs out like me a lot!

Reactions: IISaintII

chistoefur

Sep 7, 2013
Sweet! I've missed root since I upgraded using the OTA file you provided. Looking forward to much other great things coming from you :D

tyrantsbane

Jun 26, 2012
Thank You

Warning: Following any of these instructions will void your warranty, and could possibly cause irreparable harm to your device (i.e. bricked). If you do not understand these risks, stop here and do not proceed. If you do not know how to use Odin, stop here and do not proceed. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. YOU chose to follow this guide.

If you have not updated to 4.3, go here. Make sure you understand the risks and uncertainties described in the OP.

Root Method #1:
The first thing you should try is CF-Autoroot since this has worked for many users.

If you successfully root with this method, you can simply install Goo Manager or ROM Manager and install recovery.

Root Method #2:
3) Reboot to recovery and flash SuperSu.
4) Flash the Knox Remover
5) Reboot
6) Download SuperSu from the Play Store
7) Update the binary when prompted
8) Reboot
8) Enjoy 4.3

Downloads:
Odin

UpdateSuperSu

If you found another method that worked for you, please post here so that others may benefit.

If you are uncertain about any of the steps above, please ask your questions here before proceeding.

Method two absolutely worked. Thank you so much. I was scared to flash TWRP but knowing you did it gave me the courage. Have full root and happy :p

Reactions: chickeenn78

PimpMyPC

Nov 21, 2013
questions about this root

Hi, I'm a little nervous with this root but I need the root as the phone is useless without it.

I have the AT@T galaxy s3 I747 will all these files work with it im just double checking.

Also do you flash the knox remover the same way as you flash other things with the pda button?

Will I still be able to do factory restores?

Also I saw that knox remover removes a lot of apps, Can you install these deleted apps from the market if you need too?

THanks please let me know asap.

bkong

Jul 1, 2012
Dunno where you guys got your 4.3 update from and how you got it working but I did the OTA and Root just does not want to stick. I used knox remover and Cf auto root but it loses root after a restart. SuperSu never opens and crashes as soon as you open it. I have a feeling Cf auto root is just not compatible for the ota 4.3 i747??

WHOIZLUCKY92

Feb 22, 2013
Riverside
Dunno where you guys got your 4.3 update from and how you got it working but I did the OTA and Root just does not want to stick. I used knox remover and Cf auto root but it loses root after a restart. SuperSu never opens and crashes as soon as you open it. I have a feeling Cf auto root is just not compatible for the ota 4.3 i747??

use the TWRP method worked perfected for me

jeremyds45

Aug 29, 2013
Hi, I'm a little nervous with this root but I need the root as the phone is useless without it.

I have the AT@T galaxy s3 I747 will all these files work with it im just double checking.

Also do you flash the knox remover the same way as you flash other things with the pda button?

Will I still be able to do factory restores?

Also I saw that knox remover removes a lot of apps, Can you install these deleted apps from the market if you need too?

THanks please let me know asap.

The second method worked great. I believe (and the way that worked for me) that you use your custom recovery to flash the knox script, not using Odin and pda. I don't think it removed anything other than knox, there is a different script for removing knox and att bloatware. Should still be able to factory reset... But can't guarantee that.

Reactions: StaticMaal

tailgunner9

Apr 8, 2012
Jackson, Tn.
Root & Knox

When you go to Settings/More tab/Security/Device Administrators, You have KNOX and Android Device Manage. Both are unchecked on mine. So does that mean Knox is not working if unchecked and safe to try to Root?????

upndwn4par

Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
When you go to Settings/More tab/Security/Device Administrators, You have KNOX and Android Device Manage. Both are unchecked on mine. So does that mean Knox is not working if unchecked and safe to try to Root?????

Those settings are just for granting device administrator privileges. If unchecked, Knox is still doing it's thing, just not at an administrative level.

Yes, it is safe to try and root.

I have Android Device Manager as admin. That way if I ever lose my device I can just log in to the Play Store and locate and / or wipe the device.

tailgunner9

Apr 8, 2012
Jackson, Tn.
I tried method 1 and failed.

Then tried method 2, but using a CMW tar that was posted yesterday.

I seem to be rooted!

So far no issues.. Just need to get everything setup as I had it in the leak.

Thanks indymx, may get the nerve up to try it on my AT&T S3. Let me know if you run into any problems. Guess Rom Manager and other programs that require Root are working Ok and you have rebooted few times to be sure it keeps Root?? :cool:Have Happy Thanksgiving.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you have not updated to 4.3, go here.

If you have not updated to 4.4, go here.

Root Method #1:

Edit:
    Here is some potentially useful info for root method #1 from ansonantonym.

Root Method #2:
    3) Reboot to recovery then flash SuperSu and the Knox Remover
    4) Reboot
    5) Download SuperSu from the Play Store
    6) Open SuperSu and update the binary when prompted
    7) Reboot
    8) Enjoy rooted 4.3/4/4

Downloads:
    Odin

SuperSu (v1.65)

SuperSu (v2.01)

DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0

Please be sure to thank Chainfire, Dees_Troy, and Kaito95.

Rooted with CF-Auto Root method

Hi all

Just rooted successfully with method 1 or CF Auto Root method from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963790

This is the first time i am rooting my phone. Phone is AT&T Galaxy S3 I747. Android was 4.3

Steps followed:
    1. Followed the instructions as per the thread and used Odin to install the CF-Auto root tar file.
    2. Phone rebooted. (Super SU crashed. Knox showed a notification about blocking an App)
    3. Went to Play store and updated Super SU.
    4. Opened Super SU and updated Binary
    5. Super SU notified me that Knox was installed and asked whether to disable it. and i said yes.
    6. All done. Got Root access.
    7. (optional) If you need custom recovery, install ROM Manager from play store and flash CWM from it.

I restarted couple of times and the root is persistent.

For people having issues with SuperSU update:
    Please make sure SuperSU is not installed before this process as mentioned by fffft in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49485783

Hope this helps someone.
    Thanks alot everything works and its rooted.
    Now, think about what you did to get rooted. Think of all the steps you followed that lead you to success. Remind you of something? It should...it is the instructions from post #1.

Going forward, please do yourself a favor and make sure you read, read, read before you do anything to your phone. This time you struggled to root, next time you could brick your device.
    Root method #2 works. Unfortunately I lost all my data after the flash cleared by internal storage.

The instructions should be clarified for step (2) - flash TWRP. After flash is complete in ODIN, it will reboot the phone. DO NOT LET THE PHONE REBOOT. As soon as the flash is complete, press and hold the Vol UP and HOME buttons, so that the phone goes into Recovery mode. The go to step (3) to flash KNOX and SU.

If the phone reboots, TWRP gets wiped off from memory. When you go to step (3) to flash SU and KNOX, it will wipe off all data. Not to mention, Root will not work.

I learnt this the hard way :(
    Once you have 4.3, there is no known (or likely) way to go back to 4.1.x. That is because 4.3 was a major update and it blew a "qfuse" on the phone, preventing a reversion. The best that you can reasonably hope for on that front is to use a tool like Safestrap to boot a secondary ROM. That doesn't multiboot kernels, just the ROM. But it is conceivable that a pre 4.3 version could be emulated. In short.. you should think of 4.3 as irreversible unless someone does something unexpectedly clever.

edit for clarity.. you can revert the file system files e.g. with a custom ROM, flashing with mobile Odin, etc. What you can't revert is the underlying bootloader /modem that controls a lot of the functionality and characterizes the version that your phone runs.

For those having problems rooting or adding custom recoveries under 4.3.. both methods at the head of this thread continue to work. Where most people are running into problems is in having remnants of Supersu remaining that keep the second attempt from succeeding. You need to completely remove Supersu. Probably the easiest way to do that is to flash a stock ROM before trying to root or add a recovery. And then the two methods at the start of the thread work just fine for 4.3.

So if you've been having problems,

1. Backup any important data. Then flash a stock ROM via Odin. Important: make sure that partition is not checked in the Odin menu. And use the PDA line to select the stock ROM tar file.

Followed by:
    2. If you just want to root and don't need a custom recovery, then CF-autoroot works well.
    3. If you want a custom recovery e.g. TWRP, then use Odin to flash TWRP instead of CF-autoroot. Then boot to recovery and use TWRP to flash install the SuperSu and remove Knox zip files).

In all cases you should be using the newest versions of TWRP, SuperSu, CF-autoroot, etc. Older versions of TWRP or SuperSu won't work properly under 4.3

-