Samsung Call Blocking XAP

Search This thread

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
It's not a matter of unlock level, so much as a question of what drivers are included. If they included the gen2 drivers on the gen1 ROMs (which should be possible, though I'm not a chef) then yes, you can use the gen2 apps. If they didn't, then no dice.

A full unlock may be sufficient to create a different app that has the same end effect. It would have to use a different technique though.

that isn't that easy , it uses RIL and that can't be used on 1gen phones because of other hardware.

so in other words there need to be made new drivers and also the app needs to be modded.

Reactions: GoodDayToDie

pLUSpISTOL

Jan 29, 2009
Thanks GoodDayToDie. I guessed as much.

I don't think the chefs have included Gen2 drivers but I'm sure they will attempt it at some point.

Edit: Ah thanks ceesheim, that kinda sucks - didn't realise about the RIL... Pretty much no chance of anyone wanting to create new drivers.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Thanks for the info, ceesheim. That's disappointing, though. I'm guessing that also means putting the Samsung gen1 drivers (for WP7 Root Tools) into an HTC ROM, or HTC drivers (for any of the various useful HTC-specific hacks and homebrew) into a Samsung ROM, is also going to be very difficult

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
no there aren't 2 gen drivers in the dft rom (I looked for it and I asked mwang)

So if I have a I8350 rom can I pull the drivers out and add them to my i917 rom? If so what files? Just whatever is in the I8350 equivalent of SEC_CETUS_OS_RIL?

EDIT: Turns out it doesn't matter, I can't dump the rom just crashes htcRIE :(

EDIT AGAIN: here's the link to the rom if anyone is interested http://hotfile.com/dl/146668224/0c952d5/I8350XXKK4_I8350PLSKK4_PLS.zip.html it's via samfirmware.com

Last edited:

lucasryan

Dec 20, 2010
Tennessee
Thanks for the info, ceesheim. That's disappointing, though. I'm guessing that also means putting the Samsung gen1 drivers (for WP7 Root Tools) into an HTC ROM, or HTC drivers (for any of the various useful HTC-specific hacks and homebrew) into a Samsung ROM, is also going to be very difficult

I know its off topic from this thread, but i am assuming that samsung focus would need the htc drivers for the HTC Hub to work with live tile, or would that just be the dll's? Just curious cause i have the mi7rom witch is suppose to have the live tile working for the Hub and it does not for me. I had thought maybe it would be possible also to put gen2 samsung drivers into a rom but guess not.

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
I know its off topic from this thread, but i am assuming that samsung focus would need the htc drivers for the HTC Hub to work with live tile, or would that just be the dll's? Just curious cause i have the mi7rom witch is suppose to have the live tile working for the Hub and it does not for me. I had thought maybe it would be possible also to put gen2 samsung drivers into a rom but guess not.
That's what I intended to try with my ROM but I can't dump the Focus Flash ROM to get at the files. If someones knows how to get the files I would love to look at them. Or even a Samsung update cab for the Flash or S would probably do but there aren't any in Heathcliff74's thread that I know of.

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
Then all it left is to check the app dependencies, so one can track the missing files.:)

Sent from my OMNIA7 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

it needs files from ril , and that can't be used because it is based on another chipset , so someone would need to rewrite the drivers (but then you could actually make a whole new app , and that would only work on full unlocked phones )

Reactions: voluptuary

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
it needs files from ril , and that can't be used because it is based on another chipset , so someone would need to rewrite the drivers (but then you could actually make a whole new app , and that would only work on full unlocked phones )

So we can't just take those files and place them into a ROM? Like what people have done with the HTC drivers to get the HTC Hub working?

goldenpipes

Dec 29, 2009
Saint Paul
So I just clicked the marketplace link for this. After sideloading it to my ATT Focus S and it says there is an update available to v1.8 but it says it's not available for my device and won't install. Anyone got the new version? And after reading this thread, this was not installed stock only phone. Just did a hard reset yesterday. Unless I was blind.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express Pro.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Sideloaded apps that have the same GUID as Marketplace apps will show updates available, but the updates won't install; you can't install a Maketplace app on top of a sideloaded app (or vice-versa, I think, although I'm less sure about that).

@Magpir: Unless your HTC phone's ROM contained Samsung gen2 drivers, no, it won't work. Such drivers *could* be added, though; the Samsung ROMs support TouchXplorer, which requires an HTC driver.

goldenpipes

Dec 29, 2009
Saint Paul
Is there a chance that this is carrier dependant? I am on AT&T and the marketplace link will load for me but I can't install. I uninstalled 1.7 to see if I could download 1.8 from the marketplace.

Anyone with a Flash or Focus S try downloading this lately?

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
still no update???

come on? if nokia apps can work in other device manufacturer, by now someone should have this working already

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Ummm... @Magpir, it's quite obvious by you saying this that you have no idea how these apps work. Nokia apps that use Nokia firmware drivers can't be used on non-Nokia devices. Samsung apps that use Samsung firmware drivers can't be used on non-Samsung devices. This app uses Samsung drivers...

Basically, any OEM app that requires ID_CAP_INTEROPSYSTEMS is unlikely to work on any other OEM. Some, like HTC Hub, will mostly work except for a little bit of device-specific functionality. Others, like HTC's Sound Enhancer, won't work at all. This falls into the second category. For a Nokia example, Nokia Drive contains no device-specific code at all except for a check on the OEM name in DeviceInformation. Nokia's Network Setup app requires access to Nokia's equivalent of the HtcProvisionDrv.dll driver, though, and won't work on any phone without that driver.

Hypothetically, it's possible to take OEM drivers from the official firmware and put them into custom firmware for other phones. This means you might be able to do a custom ROM that incorporated the required drivers from a second-gen Samsung. It's not nearly as simple as you seem to think, though.

Also, your post is unhelpful and contrary to the spirit of XDA-Devs. If you want this, go make it happen! Don't complain that other people aren't working fast enough, though, or even request ETAs; these things take time, and most of us have many demands on our time already.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys

Ive got my hands on the new Samsung call blocking app, ive installed it to my HTC Titan. It does fire up but cant do much with it.....

http://wmpoweruser.com/samsung-releases-call-blocking-app-for-its-devices/

Hopefully someone here can make it work for the rest of us.

Kev

Update..... Ive now uploaded the unchanged xap with the INTEROPSERVICES unchanged
    The official XAP does have ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES, incidentally - whoever removed it from the version in the OP, shame on you. That was there for a reason.

What kind of driver? How about one that hooks into the phone stack? Remember, there's no public API for talking to the phone interface, and apps don't run constantly in the background so they can't look at every incoming call and decide whether to take it or not anyhow. Instead, you need to use native code with sufficient permissions to hook into the software stack used for taking calls, and you need to do it with something that can be queried against at any time. In other words, you need a driver or service (there is a difference, but I don't know enough about CE to be sure what that difference is).

The important point is that drivers and services are typically baked into the ROM. I've tried modifying an existing driver - not even installing a new one, just replacing the DLL with an older version - to no avail. I'll try again if anything new comes up that I haven't done before, but until then, you'll need to hope for a firmware update from Samsung. If the rate at which they provide updates to their Android phones is any indication, don't hold your breath.
    I think this could be interesting, since it works on my HTC 7 Pro with Dynamics 1.21 ROM... :good: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33115264&postcount=7
    English version is available: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33129691&postcount=23
    Q from 3 days ago: still not working on other phones????
    A from 2 days ago: no :-(
    DERP from today: So does this now work on HTC phones ?
    You do the math.
    its stock from rom so you need to patch it first to sideload