UPDATE: 64GB micro SDXC card DOES work in LG Optimus 2x

Search This thread

bbvidz

Mar 18, 2012
Hi,

I tested 64GB mircro SDXC in my LG 2x (Modaco rom Gr6 and HP 2x kernel RC12-R) and it DOES NOT work :(

I was able to format the card to FAT32 in the phone, but when I try to mount it, the phone restarts itself.

If anyone else has different experience, please share.

BTW the card is SDSDQY-064G-U46A

UPDATE:

I managed to fix it. I'm not sure which steps were actually necessary but just to be sure I list them all.
First I tried NicomUA's idea of splitting the patritions in two 32GB. For that I used Paragon Partition Manager 11 Free. And IT WORKED! :) I made two partitions. I was able to access the first one in the phone, but I could not format or edit the second one neither in the PPM anymore.
So I used SDFormatter 3.1 and reformated the card into its original state with option "Format size adjustment".
Then I checked the partition structure again in PPM. It was exFAT, but with 16MB free space at the beginning.
I formated it to FAT 32 and resized it to 32GB (Now I made only one partition and left the rest of the space unallocated). It worked in the phone.
So I tried to resize the partion to see how far I can go. 32GB worked in my phone. 33GB worked in my phone! And suddenly whole 64GB worked in my phone!!! :eek:
I filled the card with movies and music to the max and tested if I can really access the content and YES, I was able to play anything on the card! :D:D:D

Last edited:

k101d

Aug 23, 2007
Hatyai
Hi,

I tested 64GB mircro SDXC in my LG 2x (Modaco rom Gr6 and HP 2x kernel RC12-R) and it DOES NOT work :(

I was able to format the card to FAT32 in the phone, but when I try to mount it, the phone restarts itself.

May be the limit is 32GB ??

Sent from my Optimus 2X using XDA

silentmelodies

Dec 11, 2010
Jakarta
Officially, the limit is 32gb. I've seen mods that enable sd cards with higher capacity than the official limit on other phones, but sadly, I don't think there's one yet for the 2x.

Sesto_Sento

Nov 14, 2011
Sines
yeah, exactly what the other users said on above posts. i also tried it a week ago, in cyanogenmod 9 and it does not detect the sd card (no reboot happened to me, simply doesn't detect it). Let's hope someone release a mod soon for this... 32 gb is nothing... :|

silentmelodies

Dec 11, 2010
Jakarta
yeah, exactly what the other users said on above posts. i also tried it a week ago, in cyanogenmod 9 and it does not detect the sd card (no reboot happened to me, simply doesn't detect it). Let's hope someone release a mod soon for this... 32 gb is nothing... :|
Well I thought it was plenty big, until my SD got almost full of videos and nandroid backups :p

Velocy

Mar 20, 2012
Not made for SCXC

i dont think making 2 partition will work ,the SD card reader is made for SHHC (high capacity ) not for SDXC (Xtrem capactity ) ,so i thing it's a hardware problem:mad:

rachit_rox

Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
Reactions: R0B3RTF1SH3R

andresilva

Apr 7, 2007
Lisboa
I would prefer the 32gb class 10 for the speed... also 32gb is plenty of room to fill... class 2 is very low speed and could interfere with the recording of videos for example in 1080p... I think...

Cheers

rachit_rox

Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
has anyone tried the 64 gb in O2x or any other android for that matter???

i am in a dilemma here whether to buy 32 gb class 10 or the sandisk 64 gb?

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda premium

xilw3r

Dec 10, 2010
go for the faster 32 gig. you will be sorry if you get the 64 gig card only to see that it cant read /write your huge files fast enough.

rachit_rox

Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
I think m gonna wait for a month as my exams are round the corner..
but i'll definetely buy a sandisk mobile ultra as it has the best benchmarks :)

B/w Has anyone else got or tried the 64 GB card in optimus 2x??? Plz reply guyz...

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda premium

Last edited:

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
Anybody besides the OP has managed to do this ? I've tried for weeks, I give up.

Used two cards, both SDXC 64GB, the SanDisk Ultra Mobile and a no-brand one from Amazon.

I used two different Optimus 2X, one running CM7, another running CM9.

The cards can't be formatted in the phones, they are simply not recognized at all.

I formatted them in Linux and Mac OS X, always FAT32, and always made a partition smaller than 32GB first, then tried ExFAT, full or bigger partitions, unallocated space in part or all, anything really. Nothing works.

Edit : the cards are fine, I can use then in Macs, PCs, DSLR and even a Galaxy Note. No problem.

Any ideas ? I'd think it's just not possible and the O2X hardware doesn't support SDXC, just SDHC, that's why I'm asking if anyone else can comment.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

UPDATE:

I managed to fix it. I'm not sure which steps were actually necessary but just to be sure I list them all.
    First I tried NicomUA's idea of splitting the patritions in two 32GB. For that I used Paragon Partition Manager 11 Free. And IT WORKED! :) I made two partitions. I was able to access the first one in the phone, but I could not format or edit the second one neither in the PPM anymore.
    So I used SDFormatter 3.1 and reformated the card into its original state with option "Format size adjustment".
    Then I checked the partition structure again in PPM. It was exFAT, but with 16MB free space at the beginning.
    I formated it to FAT 32 and resized it to 32GB (Now I made only one partition and left the rest of the space unallocated). It worked in the phone.
    So I tried to resize the partion to see how far I can go. 32GB worked in my phone. 33GB worked in my phone! And suddenly whole 64GB worked in my phone!!! :eek:
    I filled the card with movies and music to the max and tested if I can really access the content and YES, I was able to play anything on the card! :D:D:D
    Try to make one 31Gb(or less then 32Gb) partition on SD card. It can start work.
    My 2x is work with sandisk 64g sdxc in cm7 rom.

When I first time to insert the card and LG 2X can not recognize it.
    I remembered the phone said the card damage....and ask if need to repair the card and I select yes.

With 64g sdxc card , I lost my status bar or can not read sd card sometime after reboot. I also have the message "sd card checking errors" keeping in status bar .
    To solve the problem is just delete the file system/bin/fsck_msdos.
    I think 32 GB is enough for a phone.

I think I like pineapples more than bananas.
    So what. And no one cares.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app
    Guys I have found this Sandisk 64 Gb Micro sdxc....its really cheap

http://www.ebay.in/itm/SANDISK-64GB...E-PRICE-FREE-SHIPPING-ALL-INDIA-/150795837120

Should I buy this and what are the chances that it will work with our O2x

And according to this
    http://www.androidnz.net/2011/09/sandisk-64gb-micro-sdxc-cards-confirmed.html

it says it performs even worse than a class 2 sdhc card in random 4k write speed

So, what would you advice should I buy 64 Gb or a 32 Gb Class 10???

Thanx in advance :)