[WIP] [7/7] Higher framerate on Novatek panels | Kernel inside | Now for Froyo!

Search This thread

ffolkes

Oct 18, 2006
New Jersey
*** THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL ***

Thanks to toastcfh, maejrep, AssassinsLament, Estimated Prophet, Cicatrize, joeykrim, geyes30, kpkimmel and all the others from the kernel & display cap threads who have been working tirelessly, and continue to do so. This isn't over until we can find the real cap! But I think this avenue has progressed enough for it to have its own thread, if only to give hope, since we now know both Epson and Novatek panels physically can do it! :D

What Doesn't Work
  • Nothing. Now based on the official kernel with everything working.

About This Kernel
  • This is just a dirty hack. We haven't yet figured out where the real cap in framerate is coming from. But until we do, this is the best we have. At least it shows the display itself can handle a higher framerate and isn't physically incapable like HTC would have us believe.
  • Novatek panels can now get up to 46fps pretty reliably. Run fps2d a few times.
  • Stdev depends on system activity. If you're going to be judging stdev, DON'T measure it immediately after booting, set your CPU throttle mode to "performance", be sure to run fps2d several times, then average those stdev numbers in your head.
  • The changes are now immediately applied upon boot. There is no need to cycle your display anymore.
  • This kernel has support for overclocking/underclocking, up to 1.119 MHz. Also includes my own undervolting and overvolting for higher speeds to increase stability.
  • You can get dramatically tighter stdev numbers by setting your CPU governor to "performance" in SetCPU. It seems scaling really messes with the framerate. Obviously this will drain your battery faster, as your CPU will constantly be running at full speed. Set it back to "ondemand" if you don't need it.
  • Some people are reporting their touchscreen grounding issues have been cured.
  • Support to change the T2 value on the fly [thanks to maejrep]
  • Support for 5 simultaneous touch points! :D Use Dotty (in the Market) to see it in action. It'd be cool if someone would make a simple app to demonstrate what can be done with more than the mere 2 points we are used to. People have suggested new lock types, security locks, ways to rotate things, etc. [thanks to maejrep]
  • Some hardware fails to accept 5 points, so a fail-safe has been added to default back to 2 points for some EVOs
  • AssassinsLament has created an awesome app to provide an easy way for people to change their T2 timing. Check out his app here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=716659 [thanks to AssassinsLament]
  • Changes to display timings are now sticky until rebooted (w/ the above app, or set manually)

What's New
  • v5.1.1: Using the official kernel. We've lost some fps, but we've gained camera, video, 4G, etc. 46fps is now average.
  • v5.1.1: Expanded user-modifiable timing settings. Change at your own risk.
  • v5.1.1: Audio patched [thanks Geniusdog254 and KERKEDAGAIN]

Instructions

Do a nandroid backup, and flash this over pretty much any ROM. If you have problems, you can just flash a stock boot.img again. There should never be any need to wipe anything.

IMPORTANT: This will only work with the stock bcm4329.ko! Using the newer files and flashing this kernel will result in wifi being unable to start, and vice versa. To correct this, you'll need to flash over the correct wifi files.

Changing Timing Settings

You can use the following commands from adb shell to temporarily change timing on the fly. Do it while your screen is on.

Set: echo NUMBER > /sys/devices/platform/mddi_c_b9f6_5582.1/PARAMETER
Check: cat /sys/devices/platform/mddi_c_b9f6_5582.1/PARAMETER

Parameters:

t2 - 245 to 1023 [Default Eclair: 437, Froyo: 432]
t3 - 0 to 7 [Default Eclair: 1, Froyo: 0]
fte - 0 to 879 [Default Eclair: 35, Froyo: 60] (Frame Tearing Effect, change this if you have tearing problems)

Flashable ZIP - Undervolted kernel v5.1.1 for use with 2.1 (Eclair) ROMs
Flashable ZIP - Normal-volted kernel v5.1.1 for use with 2.1 (Eclair) ROMs

Flashable ZIP - Undervolted kernel v5.1.1 for use with 2.2 (Froyo) ROMs
Flashable ZIP - Normal-volted kernel v5.1.1 for use with 2.2 (Froyo) ROMs
Note: Certain things like the camera still don't work, since our Froyo ROMs aren't official.

Flashable ZIP - WiFi-N + 4G for all custom kernels based on toastcfh's GoDmOdE kernel (compatible with v5.2+)

Flashable ZIP - WiFi-N + 4G for stock/custom kernels (compatible with v5.1 and below)

Flashable ZIP - WiFi-N + 4G for the OTA kernel (NOT compatible with the kernel in this post)

*** REMEMBER! No one here is responsible if you damage your phone! ***

See the Evo, Droid X and Nexus One benchmarked together here: http://androidspin.com/2010/06/25/droid-x-vs-htc-evo-vs-google-nexus-one-in-benchmark-face-off

Want NenaMark1? It usually doesn't show in the Market, so get it here: http://nena.se/downloads.html

Last edited:
J

jigglywiggly

Not really related to this but my phone locks up when I change the cpu frequency with setcpu. EDIT: (How do I overvolt the phone?)
Oh and yes I do get 50hz.

Last edited:

Mrtankjump

Jun 5, 2010
This works great. Touchscreen SEEMS a bit more responsive in in multitouch vis test. Grounding issue is nowhere near as bad, but still there. If you pull the same trick that everyone is doing to test grounding problem, you won't notice it at first, and very rarely will it stop sensing you finger all together, but it definitely does cut out for an instant every now and then, and I had it drop visibility where it normally does a few times for a split second.

sweteg

Jun 17, 2010
As this is a development thread, please don't start posting your results like the Godmode thread. It will only clutter the thread.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Thanks for the excellent dev work!
You might want to add to the first post that this kernel breaks 4G. it will turn on but not able to find any network.

Other than that, works as described :D
The device feels so much smoother!

EtherealRemnant

Great work! I get 52 in fps2d, 680 in quadrant, and 51 in gears. I can't wait until this is completely fixed but I'm loving it and the undervolt and oc patches are awesome additions.

automatic brightness still does not work with this kernel though. At least not for me. Is it possible I have a different light sensor as no custom kernel has worked with auto brightness yet and other reports say it works just fine.

Also... fps2d spikes into 99 fps and at one point I watched it flash past 100

nvelez25

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaguez
Definetly works

Installed the kernel and got over 50 fps on my nova panel i have hardware config 002 it runs much much smoother thanks devs for the hard work. :D

vboyz103

Apr 9, 2006
wow this kernel is insane, I mean FPS hack and overclock hack without force closes...wow is all I can say. Used the OC widget and it detects the oc clocks quickly.

Man if this kernel makes it to Froyo..Evo will be truly evil :)

Mrtankjump

Jun 5, 2010
2 vertical lines just showed up on the right side of the screen, haven't tried anything yet, let me restart and see if it goes back, then try to duplicate the issue.

Edit: It went away after I got a text, not sure if it was coincidence or not. I'm guessing this is the tearing issue that the FPS fix causes, but nothing about it was written in OP.

Last edited:

Krandor311

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego
2 vertical lines just showed up on the right side of the screen, haven't tried anything yet, let me restart and see if it goes back, then try to duplicate the issue.

Edit: It went away after I got a text, not sure if it was coincidence or not. I'm guessing this is the tearing issue that the FPS fix causes, but nothing about it was written in OP.

My Evo has an Epson panel so I can't use this fix but, my understanding was that this method didn't cause the tearing like we saw from Toast's custom kernel on Epson displays, so your problem might be something else and not necessarily the fps cap being raised.

antiphon

Dec 8, 2007
San Francisco
Thanks for the kernel, but I still have one big problem- my battery still will not charge with this kernel installed. It will only charge when I turn off the EVO and turn it back on. But as soon as I unplug and replug it in, it will look like it charges for 5 seconds, then the orange light shuts off and it stops charging. I've enclosed a dump of my dmesg. Can someone please take a look at this?

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    58.8 KB · Views: 26

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    im sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the quick difference between the under volted kernel and the normal volted kernel? is it just a difference between overclocking?

The under volt version will use less battery and run a bit cooler; however some devices will experience random restarts or failed boot with the under volt. There are variations in the fabrication of CPUs that effect efficiency and overclockability. You should first try the under volt one and check if it's stable. If not, try the other one.

Nathan
    gotta admit..it DOES feel nice gettin' numbers like this...(sorry for the box on top)