[GUIDE][P768]All in 1 Guide for Custom Firmware + Custom Recovery + Rooting.

Search This thread

donk165

P768 Bootloader Unlock Guide + Installing Custom Recovery with fastboot + Rooting Stock ROMs via Recovery + Installing Custom ROMs via Recovery

This guide is fairly straight forward, please note; I didn't create most of these steps, I just joined them together from various other threads. This guide assumes you have experience in adb/fastboot commands and offline flashing.

Warning! - Unlocking your bootloader voids your device's warranty. You have been warned.

Make a backup of your data before following this guide!

Required Stuff
P760 V20B or V20C Europe Open KDZ and your choice of P768 V20 Jelly Bean KDZ
KDZ Offline Flashing Tools (see attachments of 1st post)
Fastboot Package (see attachment of 1st post)
ADB + Fastboot Package
CWM 6.0.3.1 Non-Touch
CWM 6.0.3.1 Touch
TWRP 2.5
SuperSU CWM Root Zip

A quick tip for opening a command prompt wherever you currently are in Windows Explorer - Shift + Right Click will add 'Open command window here'. This means you can extract fastboot and adb anywhere on your PC.

Bootloader Unlock

So far, the P768 does not have the ability to unlock the bootloader normally, so to do this, we have to flash P760 software which can unlock the bootloader. Lucky for us P768 users, flashing P760 KDZ doesnt affect our screen like P769 users. It still has problems but we are only using it to unlock - nothing more. Bootloader unlocking is a one time action - Once its unlocked, it stays unlocked if you change KDZ/ROM.

Extra step. If you need to keep all your data before doing this unlock, root with the lelus method and then install the locked bootloader version of CWM and then take a nandroid backup. You can restore it once you have custom recovery at the end of this tutorial. (Thanks to lelus for tip)

Step 1. Flash the P760 V20B/V20C Europe Open KDZ to your phone with the offline flash method. After flashing, you may need to hard reset for the phone to boot.
Step 2. Connect your phone to your PC in LG Software Mode with USB Debugging switched on.
Step 3. Connect your phone to WiFi and make sure you are able to access the internet. Then leave your phone for 30 mins. This makes sure the device is ready to be unlocked.
Step 4. Extract 'ADB_and_Recovery_Images-P768.rar'. Navigate to where 'adb.exe' is stored on your pc and open a command line (Shift + Right Click in Windows Explorer.
Step 5. Check your phone has been recognised by typing 'adb devices'. If your phone is connected, type 'adb reboot oem-unlock'
Step 6. You should have a black screen with white text with a confirmation to unlock the bootloader. Press Volume Up button to unlock the bootloader. Now you will be in LG Fastboot mode.
Step 7. Switch off the phone by holding the power button for 10 seconds. Switch your phone back on.
Step 8. Use Offline flash method to flash back to your desired P768 Jelly Bean version. After flashing, you may need to hard reset for the phone to boot.
Step 9. Once you have P768 Firmware reinstalled, boot and setup your phone.

Installing Custom Recovery with Fastboot

Now our phone doesnt allow us to switch to fastboot mode in the same way that P760 users do. I have found that using lelus's fastboot script, we can switch to fastboot and then send recovery.

Step 1. Extract fastboot.zip and install fastboot drivers by following README instructions.
Step 2. Place chosen recovery into the fastboot directory and rename it to 'recovery.img'
Step 3. After installing drivers, navigate to where 'fastboot.exe' is stored on your pc and open a command line (Shift + Right Click).
Step 4. Minimise the command line you opened, then Open 'start.bat' from extracted fastboot.zip.
Step 5. Select option 1. Switch off your phone, remove the battery and then hit enter. Insert USB cable and then insert battery after 4 seconds.
Step 6. Once you are in fastboot mode, your phone will show a black screen. Switch to the command line opened in step 2. Type 'fastboot devices' to check your device has been recognised.
Step 7. Type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' to send the recovery image
Step 8. Reboot by typing ' fastboot reboot'

Extra step. If you took a backup of your data partition at the start. Restore your backup now to regain all data from pre-mod backup.

Rooting with Recovery

Now we have a working Custom Recovery, rooting is easy.

Step 1. Switch to recovery by either using 'adb reboot recovery' or by holding Volume Up + Home when switching on the phone.
Step 2. Install SuperSU by selecting 'Install ZIP from SDCARD' and then choosing 'SuperSU-v1.32.zip'
Step 3. Go to advanced and choose 'Fix Permissions', then Reboot phone.
Step 4. Install 'Busybox' from Play Store and Smart Install busybox to xbin location.

If you took a backup of your data partition at the start. Restore your backup now to regain all data from pre-mod backup.

Now your P768 is free of its shackles and should be able to run custom ROMs. If you are not interested in Custom ROMs, stop reading now....

...We have a customised version of stock ROM, and 2 CM based ROM's which are stable enough for daily use. We also have a PAC-Man ROM and MIUI V5 being developed. We also have a patch to get a few other CM based ROMs to work on our phone, SlimBean and Super Luminal work, ChameleonOS, AvatarRom and PenberRom might work.

• Jishnu Sur has made a customised version of the stock ROM which includes little tweaks and extra LG features ported from other LG UI3 phone software - LG G2. Runs great and has aroma installer to select your device during install. - {Jelly Cream V1}
  • Artit has created a P768 version of CyanogenMod 10.1.3 and 10.2, they work really well and only have the bugs present in the p760 build - no 1080p video recording. 10.1.3 is 4.2.2 and 10.2 is 4.3 {CM10.1.3 Final} {CM10.2}
  • Artit has created a P768 version of PAC-Man ROM Milestone.1, I haven't tested this one yet. GPS is fixed I believe. {PAC-Man m1}
  • Artit has created a version of MIUI V5 for all L9's, This is my current daily driver, MIUI is a really nice feeling android experiece.{MIUI V5 Beta 2}
  • Artit has also created a patch to get CM based ROMs for p760 to work on our p768s. The thread with the information can be found here. Roms to patch SlimBean, SuperLuminaL, Avatar ROM, PenberRom, Chameleon OS.

Installing a custom ROM

Installing custom ROMs is as simple as wiping a couple of directories and flashing the zip file via recovery.

Step 1. Copy the custom ROM zip to your SD card and gapps if needed.
Step 2. Boot into custom recovery by switching on the device holding volume up + home + power buttons or by using a Rebooter app.
Step 3. Take nandroid backup of current ROM.
Step 4. Wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache directories.
Step 5. Install ROM zip package + gapps if ROM requires them.
Step 6. Reboot and setup phone.

***Step 4 can be changed if you are only upgrading an existing custom ROM. For this, only wipe cache and dalvik cache and then continue the installation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to:
Aremcee - for the original bootloader unlock guide
cmahendra - for his offline flashing guide + bootloader unlock guide and general guidance
lelus - for his fastboot script, TeamWin Recovery for L9 and general guidance
artas182/clockworkmod team - for ClockworkMod for L9
Jishnu Sur - for his awesome Jelly Cream ROM and for developing for a phone which he doesnt own!
artit - for his work on both Jelly Cream ROM and his own custom ROMs and Patch development!
Anyone else who has helped me out during my time on the L9 Forums!

Last edited:

nh4Rdz

May 19, 2013
still unlock even you flash p768 kdz?:confused:

Edit: downloading P760 V20B Europe Open KDZ,hopes my devices will not affects the screen as you said :)

Edit again: woo. thanks donk165 it works! now im on p768 20a philippines + unlock bootloader + cmw touch recovery + rooted :) thanks! thanks! thanks!

i think, its time now for devs to build cm for us.. :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

donk165

still unlock even you flash p768 kdz?:confused:

Edit: downloading P760 V20B Europe Open KDZ,hopes my devices will not affects the screen as you said :)

Edit again: woo. thanks donk165 it works! now im on p768 20a philippines + unlock bootloader + cmw touch recovery + rooted :) thanks! thanks! thanks!

i think, its time now for devs to build cm for us.. :fingers-crossed:

Im glad its helped, I didnt think the guide was very clear. Im gonna add details so its more friendly to less experienced people

Edit: If people have feedback for this guide, let me know so I can change/update it.

Last edited:

riaanvictor

Apr 23, 2013
Paarl
Nice work with the guide:). This is probably the only way to unlock the bootloader on our device. I am working on a way to keep fastboot on the phone even after flashing back to the previous version. Will let you know if I can make it work:)

Reactions: donk165

donk165

I think if you use the fastboot program by lelus , but choose option 5 - flash P760 JB xloader and uboot, it may keep the fastboot by lg? I havnt tried that yet. Wrong ;)

Sent from my LG-P768 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Lelus

Nov 18, 2009
Chicago
I think if you use the fastboot program by lelus , but choose option 5 - flash JB xloader and uboot, it may keep the fastboot by lg? I havnt tried that yet.

Sent from my LG-P768 using xda app-developers app

It's not quite like that. You most likely have xloader and uboot form jb p760 on your phone. For some reason xloader and uboot from euro p760 doesn't get overwritten when you flash any other kdz. So there is something else that's needed for native fastboot.

donk165

It's not quite like that. You most likely have xloader and uboot form jb p760 on your phone. For some reason xloader and uboot from euro p760 doesn't get overwritten when you flash any other kdz. So there is something else that's needed for native fastboot.

Okay, thanks. I'm out of ideas on getting native fastboot. I'm still amazed that your script works - I thought P768 would never get CWM via Fastboot!
The only ideas I could think of would be to compare the source codes of P760 JB and P768 JB. But I dont really know what I would be looking for.

this link is dead i think .
"ADB + Recoveries Package"
can u please upload it again ?
or send it to my email : muyinlongkiss@163.com
thank u very much

The link is working for me. I have PM'd you some links.

donk165

alternatively to unlock the bootloader one with rooted jb stock could
install artas182x recovery
make nandroid backup,
flash &root* p760 euro kdz ,
unlock the bootloader,
then either fastboot or dd cwm recovery ,
restore nandroid backup, and
remove artas182x recover

*optional for dd

Thanks lelus, ive added backup tips into the guide.

We have some unconfirmed good news - a new dev might be doing some magic for us P768 users. ETA is July. Sit tight guys!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42428133

Sent from my LG-P760 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kote156mza

nh4Rdz

May 19, 2013
Thanks lelus, ive added backup tips into the guide.

We have some unconfirmed good news - a new dev might be doing some magic for us P768 users. ETA is July. Sit tight guys!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42428133

Sent from my LG-P760 using xda app-developers app
annoying msg popup "gallery stop" fixed in 2013-06-12 build..

attachment.php

rodrigian

Jan 19, 2012
Buenos Aires
Im getting security error when trying to acces cmw. Im trying to install it in V20A_00.kdz from telcel. as soon as i flash the recovery and try to boot into recovery (tried with key combination and through console) the phone enters in security error.

Last edited:

Gh0sT.RPG

Jan 20, 2013
Mangalore
I have tried unlocking bootloader on many stock jb roms. I was successful only on v20A Indian for p765. I tried v20C, B, D, wen I pass "adb reboot oem-unlock " phone just reboots. This is cos bootloader is unlockable on those factory roms. This is from my experience correct me if am wrong. :p

Sent from my LG-P765 using xda app-developers app

H_Bler

Dec 20, 2012
For me too the link to the recovery files is dead.

Everything else worked OK, so far.

But now I'm stucked at "Flash recovery" part.

Can you email me? (hugo.mr.p.twist@gmail.com)

Great work!

Thanks in advance.

- UPDATE -

I've found the files in this chinese forum,

And now it's all working!

Thanks again

Last edited:

donk165

Sorry for the delayed response, I haven't paid much attention to the L9 forums since I've had my Nexus 7.

Wow! I'm surprised this guide has made it over to a chinese forum, I hope the translation hasn't caused people to brick their phones! :p

If people cant access the adb/recoveries package, It only contains a folder with necessary files for adb/fastboot - this can be acquired by using android SDK. The recovery images are taken from the ROM Manager site for the P760. I just made a rar to make the guide a bit easier.

Edit: The P760 V20C KDZ also lets you unlock bootloader, if you cannot find V20B anymore, use V20C instead.

Last edited:

iLMagno

Jul 21, 2013
Buenos Aires
Worked

This worked for me on LG778 version, I have unlocked bootloader now, had to do an extra step which was flashing the V10A_00 Europe open first.

1) Flashed V10A_00 Europe Open with offline flashing method, then did a factory reset.
2) Flashed V20B_00 Europe Open with offline flashing method.
3) Left the phone connected in LG Software mode with usb debugging, wifi and signal for 20m then run "adb reboot oem-unlock".

It booted in fastboot mode and asked me if I want to unlock the bootloader, then I follow the rest of step of the guide (The firmware I flashed back was Argentina Claro V20A_01)

Will check now if I can get CM10.1 installed :)

Reactions: imarmand

imarmand

Apr 23, 2011
Buenos Aires
This worked for me on LG778 version, I have unlocked bootloader now, had to do an extra step which was flashing the V10A_00 Europe open first.

1) Flashed V10A_00 Europe Open with offline flashing method, then did a factory reset.
2) Flashed V20B_00 Europe Open with offline flashing method.
3) Left the phone connected in LG Software mode with usb debugging, wifi and signal for 20m then run "adb reboot oem-unlock".

It booted in fastboot mode and asked me if I want to unlock the bootloader, then I follow the rest of step of the guide (The firmware I flashed back was Argentina Claro V20A_01)

Will check now if I can get CM10.1 installed :)

Hello, can you tell me step by step how did you get it working?

Trad: Me podes decri paso a paso como hiciste? Tengo un 778 de Personal Argentina con JB V20a (Estoy interesado en CM 10.1 tb)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    P768 Bootloader Unlock Guide + Installing Custom Recovery with fastboot + Rooting Stock ROMs via Recovery + Installing Custom ROMs via Recovery

This guide is fairly straight forward, please note; I didn't create most of these steps, I just joined them together from various other threads. This guide assumes you have experience in adb/fastboot commands and offline flashing.

Warning! - Unlocking your bootloader voids your device's warranty. You have been warned.

Make a backup of your data before following this guide!

Required Stuff
    P760 V20B or V20C Europe Open KDZ and your choice of P768 V20 Jelly Bean KDZ
    KDZ Offline Flashing Tools (see attachments of 1st post)
    ADB + Fastboot Package
    CWM 6.0.3.1 Non-Touch
    CWM 6.0.3.1 Touch
    TWRP 2.5
    SuperSU CWM Root Zip

A quick tip for opening a command prompt wherever you currently are in Windows Explorer - Shift + Right Click will add 'Open command window here'. This means you can extract fastboot and adb anywhere on your PC.

Bootloader Unlock

So far, the P768 does not have the ability to unlock the bootloader normally, so to do this, we have to flash P760 software which can unlock the bootloader. Lucky for us P768 users, flashing P760 KDZ doesnt affect our screen like P769 users. It still has problems but we are only using it to unlock - nothing more. Bootloader unlocking is a one time action - Once its unlocked, it stays unlocked if you change KDZ/ROM.

Extra step. If you need to keep all your data before doing this unlock, root with the lelus method and then install the locked bootloader version of CWM and then take a nandroid backup. You can restore it once you have custom recovery at the end of this tutorial. (Thanks to lelus for tip)

Step 1. Flash the P760 V20B/V20C Europe Open KDZ to your phone with the offline flash method. After flashing, you may need to hard reset for the phone to boot.
    Step 2. Connect your phone to your PC in LG Software Mode with USB Debugging switched on.
    Step 3. Connect your phone to WiFi and make sure you are able to access the internet. Then leave your phone for 30 mins. This makes sure the device is ready to be unlocked.
    Step 4. Extract 'ADB_and_Recovery_Images-P768.rar'. Navigate to where 'adb.exe' is stored on your pc and open a command line (Shift + Right Click in Windows Explorer.
    Step 5. Check your phone has been recognised by typing 'adb devices'. If your phone is connected, type 'adb reboot oem-unlock'
    Step 6. You should have a black screen with white text with a confirmation to unlock the bootloader. Press Volume Up button to unlock the bootloader. Now you will be in LG Fastboot mode.
    Step 7. Switch off the phone by holding the power button for 10 seconds. Switch your phone back on.
    Step 8. Use Offline flash method to flash back to your desired P768 Jelly Bean version. After flashing, you may need to hard reset for the phone to boot.
    Step 9. Once you have P768 Firmware reinstalled, boot and setup your phone.

Installing Custom Recovery with Fastboot

Now our phone doesnt allow us to switch to fastboot mode in the same way that P760 users do. I have found that using lelus's fastboot script, we can switch to fastboot and then send recovery.

Step 1. Extract fastboot.zip and install fastboot drivers by following README instructions.
    Step 2. Place chosen recovery into the fastboot directory and rename it to 'recovery.img'
    Step 3. After installing drivers, navigate to where 'fastboot.exe' is stored on your pc and open a command line (Shift + Right Click).
    Step 4. Minimise the command line you opened, then Open 'start.bat' from extracted fastboot.zip.
    Step 5. Select option 1. Switch off your phone, remove the battery and then hit enter. Insert USB cable and then insert battery after 4 seconds.
    Step 6. Once you are in fastboot mode, your phone will show a black screen. Switch to the command line opened in step 2. Type 'fastboot devices' to check your device has been recognised.
    Step 7. Type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' to send the recovery image
    Step 8. Reboot by typing ' fastboot reboot'

Extra step. If you took a backup of your data partition at the start. Restore your backup now to regain all data from pre-mod backup.

Rooting with Recovery

Now we have a working Custom Recovery, rooting is easy.

Step 1. Switch to recovery by either using 'adb reboot recovery' or by holding Volume Up + Home when switching on the phone.
    Step 2. Install SuperSU by selecting 'Install ZIP from SDCARD' and then choosing 'SuperSU-v1.32.zip'
    Step 3. Go to advanced and choose 'Fix Permissions', then Reboot phone.
    Step 4. Install 'Busybox' from Play Store and Smart Install busybox to xbin location.

If you took a backup of your data partition at the start. Restore your backup now to regain all data from pre-mod backup.

Now your P768 is free of its shackles and should be able to run custom ROMs. If you are not interested in Custom ROMs, stop reading now....

...We have a customised version of stock ROM, and 2 CM based ROM's which are stable enough for daily use. We also have a PAC-Man ROM and MIUI V5 being developed. We also have a patch to get a few other CM based ROMs to work on our phone, SlimBean and Super Luminal work, ChameleonOS, AvatarRom and PenberRom might work.

• Jishnu Sur has made a customised version of the stock ROM which includes little tweaks and extra LG features ported from other LG UI3 phone software - LG G2. Runs great and has aroma installer to select your device during install. - {Jelly Cream V1}
    • Artit has created a P768 version of CyanogenMod 10.1.3 and 10.2, they work really well and only have the bugs present in the p760 build - no 1080p video recording. 10.1.3 is 4.2.2 and 10.2 is 4.3 {CM10.1.3 Final} {CM10.2}
    • Artit has created a P768 version of PAC-Man ROM Milestone.1, I haven't tested this one yet. GPS is fixed I believe. {PAC-Man m1}
    • Artit has created a version of MIUI V5 for all L9's, This is my current daily driver, MIUI is a really nice feeling android experiece.{MIUI V5 Beta 2}
    • Artit has also created a patch to get CM based ROMs for p760 to work on our p768s. The thread with the information can be found here. Roms to patch SlimBean, SuperLuminaL, Avatar ROM, PenberRom, Chameleon OS.

Installing a custom ROM

Installing custom ROMs is as simple as wiping a couple of directories and flashing the zip file via recovery.

Step 1. Copy the custom ROM zip to your SD card and gapps if needed.
    Step 2. Boot into custom recovery by switching on the device holding volume up + home + power buttons or by using a Rebooter app.
    Step 3. Take nandroid backup of current ROM.
    Step 4. Wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache directories.
    Step 5. Install ROM zip package + gapps if ROM requires them.
    Step 6. Reboot and setup phone.

***Step 4 can be changed if you are only upgrading an existing custom ROM. For this, only wipe cache and dalvik cache and then continue the installation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to:
    Aremcee - for the original bootloader unlock guide
    cmahendra - for his offline flashing guide + bootloader unlock guide and general guidance
    lelus - for his fastboot script, TeamWin Recovery for L9 and general guidance
    artas182/clockworkmod team - for ClockworkMod for L9
    Jishnu Sur - for his awesome Jelly Cream ROM and for developing for a phone which he doesnt own!
    artit - for his work on both Jelly Cream ROM and his own custom ROMs and Patch development!
    Anyone else who has helped me out during my time on the L9 Forums!
    where is the link ADB_and_Recovery_Images-P768.rar' ???

Maybe it's here (in OP)
    ADB + Fastboot Package

I'm not which to use but file name is not state in OP. BTW it has adb and fastboot.
    yes.I wait more than 30 minutes.when type adb devices,show me " adb is not recognized as a internal or external command".
    my windows is Xp.

4. Extract 'ADB_and_Recovery_Images-P768.rar'. Navigate to where 'adb.exe' is stored on your pc and open a command line (Shift + Right Click in Windows Explorer.

That's what you should do. Please make sure that you open command prompt and current directory is where you extract that zip content. adb.exe is in that zip.
    I download that file but not exist any adb.zip.

fastboot.zip, extract it and look for adb.exe in bin folder
    Im going to update the OP in the next few days to include how to install CM10.1/10.2 or Jelly Cream and add steps in if needs be. Also going to add TWRP recovery to the recoveries ZIP