[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ramer

Jun 20, 2010
Sunset
No magazines, books and mp3 via market apps. I can watch videos in the browser fine by changing the user agent to linux desktop. I have seen a number of posts that no one has found a way to read magazines in CM7. Attempted ports have not worked so far.

Shoot.... I don't want to lose those functions of the stock ROM. Can't wait for a stock ROM what will disable OTA updates being pushed so that root will be permanent.

Reactions: jorgiest25i

squishy5

Aug 28, 2010
NJ
i go to install the drivers on the 9.2 realse and i get a error message saying google inc (WinUSB).... Install failed (Unsigned) can anbody help me

mark_a_l

Dec 28, 2011
As for firefirefire, Pokey has given me permission to include it in the next version as an install option, so 0.9.3 will be able to install that since twrp is kind of dropping the ball.

Sorry for the stupid question, but can someone explain the difference is between firefirefire and twrp?

And without having to read the last 20 pages, what do you mean that twrp is kind of dropping the ball?

b63

Dec 8, 2011
firefirefire is the bootloader (the yellow triangle)
twrp is the recovery program

twrp installation includes the installation of fff but they don't update it to the newest version

MMDominator88

Dec 19, 2009
Sorry for the stupid question, but can someone explain the difference is between firefirefire and twrp?

And without having to read the last 20 pages, what do you mean that twrp is kind of dropping the ball?

twrp is the recovery program

twrp installation includes the installation of fff but they don't update it to the newest version

...So we (myself, at least) are wondering if it might be possible to incorporate the latest version of FFF (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369405) into the latest recovery image used within this program. ;)

Edit: And @Vashypooh, can we please get those md5sum's up on the links! (Program I use works wonders - attached below) || 35ea46da637cdb18ad21ef51da2f3ad8

Attachments

• rimd500558.zip
    382.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

mark_a_l

Dec 28, 2011

That's what I thought, but I have seen videos of it where it actually says Fire Fire Fire instead of the yellow triangle. Is that an older version or the newer one in question? And what is wrong with the version that we are using now?

Last edited:

Pkt_Lnt

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 26, 2011
SLO
...So we (myself, at least) are wondering if it might be possible to incorporate the latest version of FFF (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369405) into the latest recovery image used within this program. ;)

FYI, I used the instructions to do install FFF manually as shown on that link, and all results are that it worked. There is no way to ID the version, so I have not found how to verify it. I placed the u-boot.bin in the platform-tools directory of the sdk, and ran the commands in cmd from that directory. One note, not in the instructions, I had to power the kindle off and on after issuing the command "fastboot flash bootloader u-boot.bin" for it to write since I had the "waiting for device" from fastboot.

b63

Dec 8, 2011
That's what I thought, but I have seen videos of it where it actually says Fire Fire Fire instead of the yellow triangle. Is that an older version or the newer one in question? And what is wrong with the version that we are using now?

nothing wrong:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21246538&postcount=122
you can update it if you want - like Pkt_Lnt and i did
or wait for kfu 0.9.3 - vashypooh will build a option for this (stated some sites before)

DeerSteak

Jul 25, 2011
Ugh. HDD death forced me to get a new drive and reinstall Windows. I have successfully installed the drivers in the KFU zip which I downloaded fresh today. Device Manager has no unknown devices, and I have an Android ADB interface in the list.

Right now it is plugged into the computer and the Kindle is displaying the "you can now transfer files from your computer to Kindle" screen with the Disconnect button, but it's not showing up. It also is not showing up in the Disk Management area in Computer Management. Also, KFU says ADB status is "offline" and boot status is "Unknown".

This is Win7 x64. Any ideas?

edit: fixed it. Unplugged the device and installed the drivers, then plugged it in. Voila, mounts in Windows.

Last edited:

mark_a_l

Dec 28, 2011
Well, I just updated FFF on both of my KFs using the manual method. If you have made a factory cable it's as easy as powering up with the cable connected and running:

fastboot flash bootloader u-boot.bin

Power down the device and unplug the cable. No need to switch boot modes back when using a factory cable.

dmlangdon

Nov 11, 2009
Missing GMail APK?

I used the utility last night and got my kindle rooted and the Market & other Google apps installed, but I noticed that the Google GMail app was not loaded onto my Fire. I was under the impression this was in the Google apps collection. Is it supposed to be there and if so, anybody have an ideas as to why it may not have been installed on my tablet? I would prefer to use the Google GMail app as that allows me to also connect to my corporate GMail account while the Kindle email app only allows a connection to my personal GMail account.

Vashypooh

Jun 29, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I used the utility last night and got my kindle rooted and the Market & other Google apps installed, but I noticed that the Google GMail app was not loaded onto my Fire. I was under the impression this was in the Google apps collection. Is it supposed to be there and if so, anybody have an ideas as to why it may not have been installed on my tablet? I would prefer to use the Google GMail app as that allows me to also connect to my corporate GMail account while the Kindle email app only allows a connection to my personal GMail account.

It will only install things that you cant find on the google market.

So use the market to go install gmail =]

imnotamorningguy

Jul 15, 2011
Dallas
I ran the permanent root and then ran the option to install twrp but now i'm stuck on the "kindlefire" screen. The program says if we're stuck here for a long time to leave everything alone...how long is a long time? any help?

imnotamorningguy

Jul 15, 2011
Dallas
I tried the tricks.

I guess I should include the fact that I'm running Windows 7 through Parallels on a Mac. I keep seeing the message "cannot run recovery/recovery.img." I thought this was because it was not downloading the recovery image so I downloaded it myself, placed it in the recovery folder and renamed it "recovery.img" but I'm still getting the same error.

-I would try using the tool that was ported to the Mac but I'm better with this stuff when I use Windows. I couldn't get the drivers to install on my Mac so I couldn't run the tool. :(

b63

Dec 8, 2011
that's a completly new message for me - never seen before
would you pm me a screenshot from the output of kfu - maybe i see something

otherwise i would ask vashypooh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: DO NOT use this on 2nd Generation Devices or you risk bricking your Device.

These procedures are for FIRST GENERATION Devices ONLY. In otherwords, for the ORIGINAL KF. If you proceed to use this on your 2nd Generation Device, and you BRICK it, don't complain. You have been warned.

This thread is also no longer maintained. A new Thread has been opened.

The new Thread

MD Moderator XDA

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool does:

• Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install CWM Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track. This issue was found and fixed using this post: Click me Over at Rootzwiki.

I make no claim that this tool is perfect, but I certainly will do my best to support it as long as people like it.

Here are some screen-shots of it:

kf_util_1.png

kf_util_2.png

kf_util_3.png

kf_util_4.png

kf_util_5.png

Credits goto:

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Downloads:

WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

Current Release

Version 0.9.6 = Click Here

Extras(Will auto download, only for manual install users)
    Apps.zip = Click Here (Place in a folder called apps)
    TWRP = Click Here (Place in a folder called recovery)

Old Releases

Version 0.9.5 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.4 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.3 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.2 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.1 = Click Here
    Version .9 = Click Here
    Version .8 = Click Here
    Version .7 = Click Here
    Version .6 = Click Here
    Version .5 = Click Here
    Version .4 = Click Here
    Version .3 = Click Here
    Version .2 = Click Here
    Version .1 = Click Here

Bug Fixes

Version 0.9.6 = Fixed the rooting issue of not installing superuser.apk. Oops!
    Version 0.9.6 = Updated the options of recoveries and the root processes.
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected Gapps installer, now works!
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected some installer issues with recoveries.
    Version 0.9.5 = Fixed the update not installing gapps correctly and crashing.
    Version 0.9.4 = Removed framework option as it confused people and really isn't used.
    Version 0.9.4 = Updated for amazon 6.3 update.
    Version 0.9.3 = Added option to load Burritoroots FireFireFire installer.
    Version 0.9.3 = Fixed to support latest BurritoRoot, sorry it took so long!
    Version 0.9.2 = Changed back to using the official TWRP download URL. They are allowing wget now.
    Version 0.9.2 = Rewrote TWRP installer to use a new method requiring zero user interaction. It should just work.
    Version 0.9.2 = New driver installer using the WDK install system. Should work perfect, every time.
    Version 0.9.1 = Fix TWRP download that Techerratta blocked. Hosting it myself for the moment.
    Version .9 = Minor fix in install drivers batch.
    Version .8 = Tried to make the TWRP installer a bit more verbose in telling people what to do.
    Version .8 = Fixed some issues with order of checking for root.
    Version .8 = Rewrote the driver installer to try to be a bit better and catch fastboot issues.
    Version .7 = Rewrote a lot of things to make them more user friendly and help the user know what is going on.
    Version .7 = Switched away from Zergrush to BurritoRoot
    Version .6 = Now pauses for users to finish the TWRP install before trying to bring it back to normal bootmode.
    Version .5 = Fixed my screwup of TWRP installer. My debug code was posted instead of real code ;( Sorry!
    Version .4 = Cleaned up a bit of code relating to zergRush, it now waits for ADB to come back online before continuing.
    Version .4 = Checks for files already downloaded so we don't waste bandwidth.
    Version .4 = Fixed the Fastboot loader command for TWRP, TWRP install should work better.
    Version .3 = Cleaned up a few areas, fixed a few issues that could revolve around ADB being out of date.
    Version .2 = Fixed issue with TWRP installer leaving the user in Fastboot instead of returning to Normal (4000).
    Version .1 = Initial Release.

New Features

Version 0.9.4 = Added a FireFireFire installer / updater per request!
    Version 0.9.4 = Added a CWM Installer per request!
    Version 0.9.2 = Setup an update system that allows me to change what users download the file from and what MD5 is legitimate so I can update packages.
    Version 0.9.2 = Added MD5 checking of all files downloaded for legitimacy.
    Version .9 = Added failsafe system to /system/
    Version .7 = Automatic BurritoRoot courtesy of Jcase of TeamAndIRC. Thanks man!
    Version .3 = New Driver installer. Just run install_drivers.bat before running the tool and all driver issues should be resolved. Could use some feedback on this.
    Version .3 = Added an extras menu with a few features to help people out!

Known Tricks

• If you end up stuck at the yellow triangle, in KF Utility select Boot Normal, wait for it to say <waiting for device> and then press and hold the power button 20 seconds until the fire turns off, then when its off turn it back on. This sometimes happens, I have yet to find a clean solution :(
    • If you end up stuck with a yellow triangle, do not EVER unplug it. Leave it plugged in. Check the windows drivers to make sure it isnt showing as "kindle" again. Fastboot is different and can cause this.

Need Live Help?

Kindle Fire IRC

Please visit there, and I may be able to help in person, if you are willing, I will even TeamViewer in to help! Rest assured, the chances of you actually bricking your kindle are very low, I or someone else can and would love to help. It helps us think of was to better handle things.
    I tries that in my device manager it says unknow device with yellow mark when i go to update driver it says the latest is already installed

Alright. Let me guide you through this...
    -Download the attachment I provide below and place it in somewhere you KNOW where you can find it easily. (I placed it in C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver(I would recommend doing the same))
    -Go to device manager
    -right click on the exclamation mark kindle.
    -Choose update driver software
    -choose browse my computer for driver software
    -choose let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
    -Then select have disk
    -Then select browse
    -direct to where you downloaded the usb driver i attached
    -Select okay and okay

Download here
    you sir are incredible good job :)

I love the dev work that the kindle is getting. This thing will be 100% unlocked in no time with lots of great custom roms and kernels :D Makes me really happy as this is my first android device.
    New version of KFU

I PM'd VashyPooh and he is no longer supporting KFU because he doesn't own a Kindle Fire anymore. So now I will be maintaining this project for now. I am going to make a new thread and release Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.7+. Here is the new thread :) I don't know what should be done with this thread though once it becomes obsolete.

VashyPooh, thank you for what you've done here you've helped me and thousands of people root, install custom firmware, and de-brick our devices. We really appreciate what you've done for us and all the hard work you've put in to this. :good:

Also, thank you for letting me update this because now your utility will be able to help even more people. :)
    Kindle Fire Utility .7 released.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Notes:

• Exclusive support from jcase for this tool providing a custom BurritoRoot. Please Uninstall any old version you have on the fire.
    • Full support for rooting the Kindle permanently.
    • Easy TWRP installer from my TWRP tool is moved into here.

As usual, post any bugs or issues, or find me on IRC.